• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT11| Campaign: Save a donkey in Colombia

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know that he was offered the same opportunities at United? We know that he was frustrated with the lack of playing time, and I don't think its unwise to assume that Ferguson would place faith in Giggs or Scholes, like he has done on many of an occasion this season.

I agree. Did Ferguson sign a replacement when Pogba left? Did he call up another midfielder from the youth team?

Are you guys too good for your errors to be pointed out? United fans are certainly quick to point out other teams short comings.

To be fair, Salva started the discussion by taking the piss rather than making an enquiry. If I tried starting a discussion about racism by mocking Chelsea's handling of the Terry affair, I'd be idiotic to not expect the same thing in return

@Salazar, that is possibly the least mature post I've ever read on here, trolling or otherwise

Wilbur

Banned
See, I don't think you do have every right to believe that. He played 18 games for Juventus so far. There's no chance in hell he would have got that many games at United, especially after what happened in the CL last season.

I think he easily would have featured in 15 games this season. Definitely won't have started that many, but then he hasn't started 18 games at Juventus either.

He played 7 for us last year, and that was including a short FA Cup run against two very strong opponents and a run in where SAF chose to rely on experience. 7 in his first ever season of professional football, and then taking into consideration that context. Powell's played 6 games for us in this half season, and that's being a much rawer talent with no time at United for SAF to analyse him whatsoever, and including CL games.

Clegg

He would be awesome for you guys. Plus, he would of probably never gotten injured like he did at Villarreal.

True.

But from 2003-2006 United had a mediocre squad. Roy Keane was the driving force behind United for a decade but he was getting injured much more regularly and declining as a player.

We had a lot of flops at CM, Bellion, Kleberson, Miller, Djemba Djemba, all trying to replace Keane. And none of them worked. We sold Beckham and brought in Ronaldo and Rooney. But neither of the two were anywhere near ready to take of the best in Europe.

Van Nistelrooy and his goals became vital to us. He scored match winning goals on so many occasions for us. It was impossible for us to drop him because he was our main goalscorer. There was just no chance for a young striker (Rossi) to break through.

PowderedToast

CaughtOffside's top 25 sexy footballers (dated 2011)

25. Frank Lampard
24. Diego Forlan
23. Alto Ocio
22. Cristiano Ronaldo
21. Edinson Cavani

20. Raul
19. Freddie Ljungberg
18. Jesus Navas
17. Roque Santa Cruz
16. David James

15. Landon Donovan
14. Fernando Torres
13. Francesco Totti
12. Kenwyne Jones
11. Sergio Ramos

10. Alessandro del Piero
9. Kaka
8. Benny Feilhaber
7. Marco Borriello
6. Gerard Pique

5. David Beckham
4. Xabi Alonso
3. Thierry Henry
2. Iker Casillas
1. Yoann Gourcuff

this list is terrible.

top 3 playing football today

borini-31.jpg

69176.jpg

4f9861ac1861332c2b00232f.jpg

i think about this topic a lot it is one my favourites

Wilbur

Banned
How do you know that he was offered the same opportunities at United? We know that he was frustrated with the lack of playing time, and I don't think its unwise to assume that Ferguson would place faith in Giggs or Scholes, like he has done on many of an occasion this season.

I agree. Did Ferguson sign a replacement when Pogba left? Did he call up another midfielder from the youth team?

He's put less faith in Giggs and Scholes this season than Cleverley and Anderson, despite whatever narrative is being spun.

But whatever, I'm done. Going to bed now, you have your opinion, I have mine.

Lightning

Banned
Jog on and give Theo 150,000 a week if you're so fucking clever.
You make it sound like that's a bad investment. Theo is approaching the best years of his career and wouldn't be be best for him to spend those years with us or is it better to stick to our guns over his wages, lose him for free, then he can sign for United/City/Spurs/Chelsea next season and be on decent wages with a nice fat sign on fee to go with it?

If he doesn't work out now we have the chance to move him on and get a transfer fee for him to cover costs. The alternative was we get nothing so the correct decision was made.

I think he easily would have featured in 15 games this season. Definitely won't have started that many, but then he hasn't started 18 games at Juventus either.

He played 7 for us last year, and that was including a short FA Cup run against two very strong opponents and a run in where SAF chose to rely on experience. 7 in his first ever season of professional football, and then taking into consideration that context. Powell's played 6 games for us in this half season, and that's being a much rawer talent with no time at United for SAF to analyse him whatsoever, and including CL games.

Powell played two seasons at Crewe already. There's no evidence to suggest Pogba would get more games than he has. Probably less with the two of them there.

He's put less faith in Giggs and Scholes this season than Cleverley and Anderson, despite whatever narrative is being spun.

But whatever, I'm done. Going to bed now, you have your opinion, I have mine.

I thought this was a civil discussion, but ok.

Clegg

Fergie was much too reliant on Giggs and Scholes last year. But, in fairness to him, this season he's gone with Clev and Ando much more.

Scholes hasn't played an awful lot over the last few months and Giggs not much more so.

I'm rather pleased with the amount of faith SAF has put in Clev. He's starting against the big teams now and, in general, he's putting in good performances.

The same can be said of Rafael.

Fergie was much too reliant on Giggs and Scholes last year. But, in fairness to him, this season he's gone with Clev and Ando much more.

Scholes hasn't played an awful lot over the last few months and Giggs not much more so.

Do you reckon the Spurs game was the straw that broke Ferdinand's back?

K1LLER7

Powell, both similar ages and playing positions.

I think Fergie didn't feel Pogbs was ready and would've sent him out on loan. Just like I think he'll do with Powell at some point. Pogba made the right move of moving to Juve and it seem like it's working for him at the moment. I wouldn't say at the moment that he's someone that we've missed because we have no idea how he'd do in the PL. In a couple of seasons he might be a top player that we could have had but that happens. There'll always be other players out there to replace him be it powell or some other midfielder united sign.

Nothing in my post suggests it wasn't.

I got the feeling that you were a little jaded by this discussion. I misread the "narrative is being spun" and "you have your opinion, I have mine" then. Sorry.

Powell, both similar ages and playing positions.

I think Fergie didn't feel Pogbs was ready and would've sent him out on loan. Just like I think he'll do with Powell at some point. Pogba made the right move of moving to Juve and it seem like it's working for him at the moment. I wouldn't say at the moment that he's someone that we've missed because we have no idea how he'd do in the PL. In a couple of seasons he might be a top player that we could have had but that happens. There'll always be other players out there to replace him be it powell or some other midfielder united sign.

Maybe Powell was a replacement, maybe he would have been signed anyway. But I think it's likely that Pogba would have loaned out. That's what happened to the other academy graduates.

Clegg

Do you reckon the Spurs game was the straw that broke Ferdinand's back?

Giggs and Scholes started that match didn't they?

I think Fergie finally realised that Scholes/Giggs couldn't play in the same midfield as neither had the legs for it.

Since then they've very rarely started togeather. Clev has quietly become a rather important part of our team. I admit that he's nothing brilliant. But he's a decent passer and, crucially, he's very mobile and will run all day for you. That's something Scholes and Giggs can no longer do.

I think we're going to sign a CM this summer. But that's not a slight on Clev. We just desperately need another talented, young midfielder that can help add some movement.

GQman2121

Banned
I think it's clear that Pogba and his camp made the right decision by going to Italy. Never mind the money, he simply looks happier and is enjoying playing. That's enough for me.

Jennifer Lawrence is hosting SNL. :O

feel

Club football sucks. I can't wait for international break
Thinking of doing a 7 hour drive (each way) with friends to go see James and Falcao when they play here in Venezuela in March for WC qualifiers. Fucks sake couldn't they have picked a stadium closer to me for that one. Already did that exact trip to watch Messi a while back.

Sloosha

I think it's clear that Pogba and his camp made the right decision by going to Italy. Never mind the money, he simply looks happier and is enjoying playing. That's enough for me.

Jennifer Lawrence is hosting SNL. :O

Is she funny? Was going to watch it later. SNL is a bit rubbish though.

EDIT: Must have just started for you.

GorillaJu

It's 10 degrees outside, snow is melting, sky is so clear I can see Mt Fuji from my house. Slight breeze, fuckin incredible day. Think I'll pull a Wilbur and just sit on a park bench and whip it out for a nice dick-tan. Maybe think about Liverpool's 5 goals to get hard.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
It's 10 degrees outside, snow is melting, sky is so clear I can see Mt Fuji from my house. Slight breeze, fuckin incredible day. Think I'll pull a Wilbur and just sit on a park bench and whip it out for a nice dick-tan. Maybe think about Liverpool's 5 goals to get hard.

yum

Fintan

It will be really interesting if they can do that again. It also depends on Newcastle and Aston Villa not regaining their form.

Yeah, you wonder how many miraculous escapes they can realistically pull off. I think they had 7 wins in their last 9 last season. That will be hard to do again, but their points total at this point was also worse last season. They got 28 points from now onward last season, they need slightly less to finish on their same point total of 43. What total is likely to keep a team up this season?

And either way, this is probably Martinez's last season, right? Wonder where he'll end up.

Salazar

Llorente is the only one out of those three.

This Borini is handsome campaign is almost as laughable as the Borini is a dangerous striker idea.

GorillaJu

Kun is a looker but his face is too "deep" for me to really consider him a contender. Maybe it's the big black eyes and the huge smile.

Javi Garcia is one of the better looking dudes IMO. Giroud is too plain looking IMO, but I guess as a kind of archetypal figure, he's good looking with his ideal facial symmetry.

Demba Ba has a nearly perfect-shaped head. He'd be extremely good looking if he didn't have such a goofy expression permanently etched on. I still think Torres is tops in the PL for looks.

No one beats Edinson Cavani though. He is a fuckin dreamboat. His Colombian counterpart Falcao comes close though doesn't have his eminent manliness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom