• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT13| This title has been fixed

Salazar

:lol

Top top top world class players in the league - so discarding potential for now, just current ability:

Van Persie, Rooney, Mata, Aguero, Silva, Yaya, Kompany, Bale, Lloris, Suarez, and arguably Gerrard/Lampard.

Aye, but there's not a single team Kevin Nolan wouldn't improve.

dc89

I wouldn't say Zabaleta is world class yet, but he is a terrific player on all accounts. The best RB in the league for me on his day.

Everything he does is with real passion, he is definitely a fan favourite at City.

ay_102313769.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
I suppose you could argue that the things players like Zabaleta and Carrick bring to a team are more important than individual quality, so it's important to make that distinction.

Aye, but there's not a single team Kevin Nolan wouldn't improve.

Dancing at the Christmas parties would certainly be wonderful

My definition of world class/approaching world class is odd, and has different capacities for each position. For instance, there aren't all that many great right backs, but there are dozens of great CMs/strikers. Personally, I consider that and think its too simplistic to just say 'top 25 players in the world' or 'top 4 in each position'

In terms of right backs, you've got Lahm and Alves as the shoe-ins, and even Alves has a question mark because of his non-existent defending. Then there's the guys below, who I'd consider to be Ramos, Zabaleta, Johnson, Srna (?), perhaps Rafael.

Wilbur

Banned
Cole and Baines as well! Don't think you'll find much better in their position around the world.

My definition of world class/approaching world class is odd, and has different capacities for each position. For instance, there aren't all that many great right backs, but there are dozens of great CMs/strikers. Personally, I consider that and think its too simplistic to just say 'top 25 players in the world' or 'top 4 in each position'

In terms of right backs, you've got Lahm and Alves as the shoe-ins, and even Alves has a question mark because of his non-existent defending. Then there's the guys below, who I'd consider to be Ramos, Zabaleta, Johnson, Srna (?), perhaps Rafael.

Piszczek would be very close to top tier as well if you asked me.

Lahm and Dani Alves are IMO significantly better than the other players listed there. Ramos has been good at CB, not seen him at RB for a while.

World class is thrown about far too easily I think. All comes down to opinion I guess but I think to earn that world class tag you have to have been a top top player in your position for at least 2 seasons.

Wilbur

Banned
It's a tough one though because at the top clubs in the PL you have Hart, DDG, Cech, Lloris, Sczezsny and Reina; two of which are arguably world class, two who might be and two who aren't/won't be. And yet none of them have been better than Stoke and Sunderland's keepers this year, probably QPR's as well.

Who themselves don't approach the level of world class of someone like Buffon, Casillas, Neuer, probably even Handanovic. Casillas has had a bad season by his standards but I'd be far more comfortable calling him world class over Begovic. Maybe it's a big club media thing.

Today is also Cesare Maldini's birthday (he's 81). He won basically everything with Milan, and gave the world one of the greatest defenders of all time, Paolo Maldini.

--

Antonini's agent: "I don't know if Antonini will stay at Milan. The transfer window is still open in some leagues" - he's talking about Spartak Moscow. It's fine, we won't cry, just leave.

Also, it seems that Manchester City is after Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, a former striker of ours, 23 years old, who plays at Saint Etienne. Really? He never, ever, showed anything promising, not even slightly.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Stephan Lichtsteiner is up there IMO. Chievo had to put two players on him the other day.

And he still managed score.

Wilbur

Banned
Stephan Lichtsteiner is up there IMO. Chievo had to put two players on him the other day.

And he still managed score.

This is true, but seeing as Cunte is obsessed with 3 man defences, Licht is now the world's greatest right winger

if valdes ever went to Bayern, I'd go to Munich only to commit suicide there.

It just doesn't make any sense

1 - Neuer is approximately 37 times better than Valdes
2 - Why lose a player worth 25m+ for a player who is running his contract down? It'd be like Juve swapping Vidal for Llorente
3 - Not even Guardiola will be given that much power, surely. After the Ibra mishap, there'll be restraints
4 - Valdes is bona fide shit, not just worse than Neuer
5 - Fuck Bayern

@ Crazy Ol' Jeff, at least Elliott is fit though (depending what episode you're watching)

Salazar

Also, it seems that Manchester City is after Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, a former striker of ours, 23 years old, who plays at Saint Etienne. Really? He never, ever, showed anything promising, not even slightly.

He was in that awful Guardian list.

fuenf

It just doesn't make any sense

1 - Neuer is approximately 37 times better than Valdes
2 - Why lose a player worth 25m+ for a player who is running his contract down? It'd be like Juve swapping Vidal for Llorente
3- Not even Guardiola will be given that much power, surely
4 - Valdes is bona fide shit, not just worse than Neuer
5 - Fuck Bayern

7. Neuer is the leader of Bayern's defense.
8. Third Captain
9. Germany's #1
10. Beloved by the club, team and 99.9% of the fans.
11. Most important: He doesnt want to leave Bayern / Germany.
12. Foreign GKs dont really stand a chance at Barca, just look at Enke back in the day.

7. Neuer is the leader of Bayern's defense.
8. Third Captain
9. Germany's #1
10. Beloved by the club, team and 99.9% of the fans.
11. Most important: He doesnt want to leave Bayern / Germany.
12. Foreign GKs dont really stand a chance at Barca, just look at Enke back in the day.

I'm guessing its just assumed that number 6 is 'Valdes is a shit cunt who'd be playing for Espanyol if he didn't come through La Masia'? :p

I thought a large number of your fans were yet to take to him?

Fuck off Wes. If you actually believe that, you're sub-Fry :D

Manager

He was insanely good in Fifa 12 so he must've done something right. Ran away from every defender in PL!

Serious talk: speed is what City needs atm.

Ingeniero

We are only 5 points from the 3° place, we can do this, we need a win streak like last season.
Come on Arsenal!

fuenf

what about gomez? think he'll leave in case Lewa signs?

That's a tough one.. I'd say they would let him go if he wanted to leave. But I can't get my head behind the Lewa rumours. Lewandowski / Mandzukic and Gomez just looks overkill. Everyone of them could lead a strike force and Müller would be a great false 9 in Pep's system too. Bayern signing Lewandowski would surprise me more than a move for Götze, the only logical reason for such a move would be that Pep specifically requested him.

I'm guessing its just assumed that number 6 is 'Valdes is a shit cunt who'd be playing for Espanyol if he didn't come through La Masia'? :p

I thought a large number of your fans were yet to take to him?

Fuck off Wes. If you actually believe that, you're sub-Fry :D

^^ yep that's #6.

Well our ultra fans hated him and were very vocal against his signing. They still dont like him that much but he gained their respect for his CL heroics last season (especially having the balls to take a penalty). They are a very small part of our fanbase (1000-2000).

Anyone in the UK wanna buy Sleeping Dogs (PS3) new and sealed? Would rather avoiud ebay if possible

@Lego, and that's before the CL knockout stages, and without any decent internationals

Clegg

Sheldon Cooper is an amalgamation of all the worst sitcom character tropes crushed into a skinny frame of shitehawkness.

K1LLER7

6n7D7xV.gif

dUxbIRK.gif

The wait is killing me. We have to stomp Everton as some kind of appetiser.
Rafa has to be on his game. Want Young to be fit for the game. He offers more in attack than Valencia but less definsively. Nani would be good if we are going there to attack.

McLeish only in charge for 40 days :O

Alan Harper is probably the worst character in terms of development. They turned him from a pathetic man who you feel sorry for as life fucks him over time and again, into a snide little weasel

Fry

Alan Harper is probably the worst character in terms of development. They turned him from a pathetic man who you feel sorry for as life fucks him over time and again, into a snide little weasel

Alan was a funny loser at the beginning, but they took it too far. It never changes. It just isn't funny to see him fail anymore.

elseanio

Depressing reading that Liverpool could only score 1 goal against a keeper paid to let in 3... He must have been fuming at our strikers

Forest owners sound, erm, mental.

Have they done enough wrong to be added onto the long list of people who were wrongly deemed 'fit and proper owners'? Then again, I'm talking about an organisation where people convicted of money-laundering through their football clubs are allowed to carry on in management

operon

Hitcher thinks Mrs. Brown's Boys is better than Father Ted.

He is not to be listened to.

going on that he has no taste, I love Mrs Brown's boys, but Brendan o 'Carroll is no Dermot Morgan. Father Ted is amazing and better than everything

Hixx

going on that he has no taste, I love Mrs Brown's boys, but Brendan o 'Carroll is no Dermot Morgan. Father Ted is amazing and better than everything

egfjwegjp9wgpqgm=-kgwgo9gnwgm0gg

The only taste than anyone who likes Mrs Brown's Boys has is the SHIT in their EYES

Top Bottom