• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT13| This title has been fixed

Wilbur

Banned
Rodgers has no more must-win games. 4th is impossible, and only a fuck up of epic proportions would prevent Europa League qualification. Might as well wheel out the youngsters and tinker with formations along the way.

Wait, why?

Swansea/Bradford getting a space means only 5th gets EL qualification this year automatically I think? I might be wrong, they might have changed the rules, but I always thought the EL places were 5th/FA Cup/League Cup, with 6th and 7th getting the places if teams already in Europe won the cups.

Wilbur

Banned
It has been noted. And it will not be forgotten!! :p

We have European pedigree, the Swans don't. We graced the Intertoto Cup...the finest of all competitions! Arshavin made his debut against us for pitys sake. Pedigree

:lol

I guess I just think Swansea could put in a decent performance in the EL, at least play well in the group stages. You'd probably go out in the first round, but I suppose the money might be worth it!

Don't care who wins really, just delighted its two clubs who normally don't win much.

dc89

My fucking GF :lol

I tell her about this Tweet I've just seen. Someone lumped £100 on Baggies to win at 8/1. I'm trying to say where do people get the bottle from etc. her response;

"Might have been a scam. I saw it on the news."

Do I try and explain or do I just give her a hug and say, yeah you're right.

Kyoufu

I tell her about this Tweet I've just seen. Someone lumped £100 on Baggies to win at 8/1. I'm trying to say where do people get the bottle from etc. her response;

:lol

Explain it while giving a hug to minimise damage.

Sane_Man

The one saving grace of Liverpool being shit is that the period of pain following a loss is significantly shorter than when we were decent. 1 hour tops.

Oh well, Black Mirror time. Don't let me down, Brooker.

Wilbur

Banned

ok i will walk to lucas' house and brick his windows for being CRAP

Both these posts made me giggle

who wants a wank first
hopefully dc's girlfriend

ShogunX

Roll up Roll up. Who else joined me in the inevitable WBA win?

ddH2UyN.png

Smang it

jtb

Banned
Wait, why?

Swansea/Bradford getting a space means only 5th gets EL qualification this year automatically I think? I might be wrong, they might have changed the rules, but I always thought the EL places were 5th/FA Cup/League Cup, with 6th and 7th getting the places if teams already in Europe won the cups.

Their only real competitor for 5th is Everton. And if a big team wins the FA cup, then 6th will be up for grabs too. Swansea will return to the mean (even if its the higher end), they've been inconsistent all season long.

edit: oops forgot about Chelsea being in the mix. Either way, missing out on EL isn't a big deal. CL or bust.

Get the hug then explain.

Wilbur

Banned
Their only real competitor for 5th is Everton. And if a big team wins the FA cup, then 6th will be up for grabs too. Swansea will return to the mean (even if its the higher end), they've been inconsistent all season long.

One of Arsenal/Spurs is going to miss out on 4th and finish 5th, so really Everton and Liverpool are fighting for 6th.

wat. How bout say Arsenal? or Tottenham.

Lightning

Banned

edit: oops forgot about Chelsea being in the mix. Either way, missing out on EL isn't a big deal. CL or bust.
Exactly. It has such a huge influence on which players can be brought in. We really need to get into the top 4, it's an absolute. Because either us, Spurs or Chelsea are going to dip out and for whoever does it will be a disaster.

The key game is the match between us and Spurs at White Hart Lane. We must not lose that game.

Wilbur

Banned
So does Rodgers get the axe when his team has a worse season than King Kenny's?

He shouldn't. Should get at least another season, preferably two. If things aren't looking up by then, then maybe they'll make a change. I think he should get at least two more.

The key game is the match between us and Spurs at White Hart Lane. We must not lose that game.

Yep. Think if you win or draw, fourth is yours. Lose and its Spurs'.

jtb

Banned

Kenny spent 100m+, didn't he? Meanwhile, Rodgers has been trimming the wage bill and, 15m on Joe Allen aside, spending pretty shrewdly. He won't get the axe. Hell, missing out on EL might even give him a chance for a legitimate push for 4th.

Exactly. It has such a huge influence on which players can be brought in. We really need to get into the top 4, it's an absolute. Because either us, Spurs or Chelsea are going to dip out and for whoever does it will be a disaster.

I still think Chelsea's managerial uncertainty will be a big question mark through the rest of the season. They missed out on 4th big time last season and another league collapse isn't out of the question. All things considered, I'm actually pretty pleased with Arsenal's position. We're doing better, relatively speaking, then we were at this point last season. No RVP, but the team seems to be clicking decently well. LB remains an issue (thank fuck Santos is gone for good), but lose to Bayern and 4th place will fall into place.

Spurs will probably finish ahead of us though. They've got a real strong core of players, even if Adebayor is doing his usual shit-second-season routine.

Meier

That would be unfair. They're playing well, they just need further strengthening in a few positions. Clearly should have cashed in on Skrtel or Agger in the Summer though...

Top Bottom