• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT15| About as productive as Tika Taka

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Utd fans, get over your loss and remember of the good old days.

ilJ5ljZB42lf6.gif

Fry, I love you, can you guys beat Madrid? por fa?

Shiloa

why should intent matter?

Well in this case it's awareness that is the key issue. Nani clearly watched the ball the whole way and wasn't aware of Arbeloa.

If playing by the books, then a player should never do anything that could possibly be a hazard. That would create an entirely new, non-contact sport where feet couldn't even be lifted from the floor.

bud

frogbi-san still made a big mistake starting welbeck over rooney. welbeck's foot work is disastrous and united were having trouble keeping the ball; having rooney on would've helped, surely.

Pctx

Banned
Welcome :)

Basically United fans only live in London :lol, if a game is on ESPN or Sky you're bound to find the game on in any number of pubs. Wetherspoons tend not to show them because they're family pubs, but a lot of privately owned pubs will be showing the match. You'll likely be allowed the kids in until a specific time, but again Wetherspoons is more family orientated but don't show the matches.

Cool deal. Thanks for the tips!

soccer? Go to the MLS thread with that shit, heathen.

Oh F me.... I'll own that one. :)

I'd like to start by saying that that was a good watch. Happy to see United dumped out. Just going to enjoy this as it won't be long until they knock us out of the F.A. Cup and go on to win the league also.

Anyway. When I first watched the Nani foul I was of the opinion that it was never a red. There is no way he went in with intention. That said, the more you watch it, the more you have to agree that it was potentially very dangerous. And more so, from the angle the referee sees it, it was guaranteed to look bad. It's a 50-50 for me. I can understand the red, but equally I could see other referee's only handing out a yellow.

The Rafael handball should of been a pen. Of course he could never of got his hands out of the way, but when they're up above you're head, you're asking for it.

All in all I think the referee did okay.

The red did change the game though and I don't think Madrid would have come back had Nan of stayed on. As for Mourinho's comments, he has a point, but at this stage I just think he's fed up with Madrid and is acting the walt. I'm also starting to think he might actually end up back at Chelsea, even though it seems incredibly unlikely.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
This is interesting actually. I'm just reading through the FIFA rules.

Law 12. Fouls and Misconduct. Pt 28

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf

Here are the important parts:

Playing in a dangerous manner is defined as any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player himself).

Disciplinary sanctions:

If the action is made with the obvious risk of injury the referee should caution the player.

If a player denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity playing in a dangerous manner the referee should send off the player.

So really, it should've been a yellow. But you can't expect referees to know the rules it seems these days. No one seems to - I know I didn't. Refereeing is ridiculously inconsistent in practice, even at this level.

broony

Think Man U need to tone it down a bit when playing quality opposition. Fabio plays far too forward for that sort of opposition. Reminds me of nufc in the 90s. We would blow away lesser opposition but come up against real quality and you can get punished.

Dwingvatt

Banned
If Welbeck could finish it wouldn't have even came to this.

That's because Danny Failbeck is not a footballer. The sooner Ferguson realises this the sooner he'll replace him with an actual footballer.

I didn't see the Nani red. Anyone have a gif of that?

It was a definite red card. Anyone who disagrees obviously don't know the rules. The man came in with a flying kung fu kick.

Well in this case it's awareness that is the key issue. Nani clearly watched the ball the whole way and wasn't aware of Arbeloa.

If playing by the books, then a player should never do anything that could possibly be a hazard. That would create an entirely new, non-contact sport where feet couldn't even be lifted from the floor.

Bullshit. Don't blindly raise your studs at chest-height in a position where its a probability that another player is running towards the ball as well, and you'll be reet

A close contest ruined by a bizarre decision.

Further bullshit. Not bizarre. Unexpected, but not unjust

jtb

Banned

Meh. The rules should be intended to reduce dangerous play. If he's not aware there are other players on the pitch, then that's dangerous. Worthy of a red? I dunno, I'm not a ref. But it's his job to be aware of the other players on the pitch.

arkon

frogbi-san still made a big mistake starting welbeck over rooney. welbeck's foot work is disastrous and united were having trouble keeping the ball; having rooney on would've helped, surely.

Welbeck was one of their better players in posession.

The decision highlights the problem with the written rules.

The ref was right. By the books. There is nothing about intent or awareness. The rules simply say if it was dangerous. .

Dangerous or excessive force, I think. This was clearly neither.

Even f365 don't think it was a red, which is something.

Lol why can't United fans be proud, or why is that bullshit?

I get that for many people this is wonderful and they should enjoy it, that's the nature of football and the tribalism amongst fans.

Doesn't mean we as United fans can not be proud of our teams efforts or that is somehow a cop out. You ask for your team to at least give you maximum effort and our players did that. It's better than being knocked out by lying down or not showing courage which we have done in the past, for example when we lost to City 1-0 at the Etihad.

Anyway...

Man it's so frustrating to go out like that. Utd proved they are still among the best in Europe at least. I'm also glad it wasn't the other team diving or cheating that conned the ref. He just had a stinker. Madrid didn't do anything wrong and Ronaldo is awesome, even if United managed to neuter him for most of the match.

Clegg

Rooney was poor when he came on. Frogie made the right decision, I think. Giggs played like someone 10 years his junior.

RVP's finishing isn't as good as it has been over the course of the season. Our defence generally held up pretty well when it was 11 v 11.

WJD

D9zii4Y.png

The only positive from tonight.

0-0 half time
Madrid race to 9 corners
Madrid to win straight after the red card.

I'm sure I'll be happy with that return in the morning but at the moment I'd happily trade it for a time machine and a competent referee.

yes i know time machines are very expensive

Wilbur

Banned
As a Madrid-fan I'll be honest about this. We played like shit in the first half as the team was pretty much sleeping, nothing happened when the ball was in our possesion. Second half we performed better, those two goals were amazing (Modric's was just pure awesome) but this only happened after United received a red card which changed the entire mentality of both teams. Still I'd say we started to push more before the red card. However in my opinion Man Utd played better than us, yes the first goal was an own goal due to poor defense from us but Man Utd created much better chances than what we did against them and this didn't even stop when they were one man down. Plenty of chances they might have been able to score in but that extra push wasn't there and who can blame them when being one man down. Still I have to say that Diego Lopez was brilliant in this match, simply amazing.

In conclusion:

1. The referee can go and fuck himself, he clearly seemed to have an agenda.
2. This feels totally like an undeserve victory. Happy we qualify but certainly not happy in the way we did it.
3. Man Utd-GAF, you guys don't deserve any of this shit and you were clearly the better team today. Lots of respect for you guys, well done.
4. PSG will lose tomorrow.

First leg you were better. Second leg we were better. All in all, you weren't the ones that fucked us tonight, it was the ref. No hate for Madrid. Like I've said a bunch of times now, I want you to go on and win.

Lopez was fucking great. Pulled off four or five great saves; RVP, Vidic, Welbeck, Carrick...

Fry

Enough trolling. I hope you guys took it lightly, United gaf.

I don't think Madrid were the better team as much as they were in Santiago Bernabeu. And I don't think that was a straight red.

But I do think the win was deserved.

Lightning

Banned
Roy Keane is a great pundit. Says it as he sees it and doesn't suffer from the same bias nearly every other British pundit does. That being said, it was a very harsh red, though the law may backup the ref here.
Gary Neville by far the best, imo.

In all honesty that red was bullshit. If I didn't hate united so much I would be unhappy but since united are such a bunch of cunts I find it quite funny.

jtb

Banned
damn that stat on Fox Soccer was unreal. Cakir has sent off Nani, Terry, Cahill, Gerrard and Balotelli all in the last year :lol

But how many of those weren't deserved? I mean, I don't think anyone can argue that Terry didn't deserve to be sent of in Barcelona...

First leg you were better. Second leg we were better. All in all, you weren't the ones that fucked us tonight, it was the ref. No hate for Madrid. Like I've said a bunch of times now, I want you to go on and win.

Lopez was fucking great. Pulled off four or five great saves; RVP, Vidic, Welbeck, Carrick...

Hey, lets not get carried away now.

Fuck Madrid, forever and always. Even Xabi The Redeemer can't make me like that gang of cunts

Wilbur

Banned
How could someone not gloat in this scenario? After all of the shit United fans have talked for the past few months?

Ronaldo winning it and Rooney's #vivaronaldo tweet is about as delicious as possible. I fucking love it. I am feeding off the tears and pain of United fans like I'm a god damn Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. It literally could not have ended any more perfectly.

It'll end perfectly with you finishing with no trophies, Scott Sinclair throwing himself down the stairs in order to end up on an injury list because he isn't on the team sheets, and Mancini getting sacked and shotgunning his own brains out in the back of a pizza fan

may

come to me

That's because Danny Failbeck is not a footballer. The sooner Ferguson realises this the sooner he'll replace him with an actual footballer.

It was a definite red card. Anyone who disagrees obviously don't know the rules. The man came in with a flying kung fu kick.

You're the LIverpool Kermit. I love it.

Also, no one should listen to you because you said Reina > De Gea. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom