• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT15| About as productive as Tika Taka

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reactions from United fans are great. They are hypocrites; they always get breaks in the Premier League, and it was time they got a decision against them. In my opinion, the Nani kick was closer to being a Red card, than not being a Red. It did affect the outcome of the game, yet they outplayed Real Madrid both with 11 vs 11 and 10 vs 11. They have no one but themselves to blame for the loss. They had the most chances in 180+ minutes and they just couldn't score. Fergie made some great moves by playing Giggs and Welbeck, but they needed Hernandez to score goals. That's the problem with Welbeck, as great as he can be moving forward and holding the ball, he can't score for shit.

Wilbur

Banned
Bring on the double. Fuck anyone that stands in our way from now

At the start of the season I'd have been delighted if you'd offered me what we have up until now; a 12 point lead, a chance to get into the semis (I think?) of the FA Cup and having gone toe to toe with Real Madrid.

Fuck Rafa. He can burn in the fires of Cunt Cake hell

notBigSam ‏@TheBig_Sam
Sir Alex distraught, and Hugo Chavez dead in the one evening. It never rains for Big Sam, but it fucking well pours. Like a busted minge.

Fucking looooooooooooooool

I'm sad that we lost. But it's not that absolute desolation I felt after the two beatings we took against Barca in the Champions League finals.

Feeling optimistic about this team. We still need reinforcements in certain areas and hopefully those will come. Now we have to make sure that our level of performance doesn't drop too much when we get back to the league and FA Cup.
Yeah, the Barca matches were horrible. Just nothing to take out of that.

I'd really love United to make the FA Cup final this year. It's been a while.

No reason they shouldn't either, clearly the best team in England right now.

Shiloa

Fucking hyperbole much? As long as you don't slice your fucking boot across someones belly you're fucking golden. Rule isn't that hard to understand. It might have been a bit harsh but CL matches are known to be strict with shit like this.

You give the ref the chance to give a red you can't complain.
No need for the harsh language, mister.

Just by searching for overhead goal on google:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlUkriEojAk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Z9NzORbKs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3q0ANjqm0YY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x-Y_ogm_gFo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2417CQ8lTbM

None of those goals would've happened if the player had to consider the risk of one of the nearby defenders moving into the way.

Splatt

Fergie made some great moves by playing Giggs and Welbeck, but they needed Hernandez to score goals. That's the problem with Welbeck, as great as he can be moving forward and holding the ball, he can't score for shit.

That Welbeck miss in the 1st half would make Gervihno blush with envy.

Fry

Different angles for evaluation.

ibm1HiFalVa7OM.gif

K1LLER7

The Rafael one? That's not a penalty surely? Was point blank.

Madrid players had the ball hit their arms twice but also from close range and off powerful shots.

Don't think there were any pens in the game.
Evra should've had a pen after Ramos fouled him towards the end.

Mick Phelan : "The reason I'm standing here is because the manager is so infuriated, when he's angry he becomes a different person"

Damn that is one hell of a thing to say by a ass man lol

Wilbur

Banned
Fergie is underrated as a tactical coach.

Yeah, I agree. There was a good thing in the Guardian about this recently, I linked it in here. He's far better tactically than given credit for. I honestly don't know why I ever doubt him, he proves me wrong time and time again. The best manager in the world.

From recollection, Van Persie wasn't within 10 yards of a defender. If nothing happens, I'd give the benefit to the kicker and assume that they were aware that they weren't posing any threat to anybody around them. If a player throws caution to the wind and says 'fuck it, who gives a shit if I could stud somebody' and proceeds to do just that, its an undeniable fact that they didn't think to take any care in avoiding said dangerous play
But there are at least 10 incidents in each game where a player controls a falling ball just looking at the ball...and another player is nearby, they just don't happen to collide.

Anybody who plays football knows just how difficult it would be to look around you every time a ball is there to be won.

I don't know what the rule is meant to be exactly but if Nani's red is a red by the rules - then the rules are really not realistic at all.

Against teams like Newcastle. Not against teams like Madrid.

He was non-existent in the CL final against Barca. His style is summed up by the replay of the David Villa goal and he's just stood watching it all happen with his hands on his hips at the half-way line.

Everyone on United was non-existent in the CL final against Barca though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

He was non-existent in the CL final against Barca.
If I remember correctly he has an outstanding record against Chelsea. The only other top team he has ever faced with United was indeed Barcelona, and let's be honest, most of United was crap back then.

My point remains that Fergie doesn't want to give him enough of a chance against these sides. For all the talk about him being the new Soslkjaer it doesn't seem like Ferguson has him in that high of a regard.

Wilbur

Banned
If I remember correctly he has an outstanding record against Chelsea. The only other top team he has ever faced with United was indeed Barcelona, and let's be honest, most of United was crap back then.

My point remains that Fergie doesn't want to give him enough of a chance against these sides. For all the talk about him being the new Soslkjaer it doesn't seem like Ferguson has him in that high of a regard.

But Solskjaer probably started less than Hernandez does.

Yeah, I agree. There was a good thing in the Guardian about this recently, I linked it in here. He's far better tactically than given credit for. I honestly don't know why I ever doubt him, he proves me wrong time and time again. The best manager in the world.

Mourinho constantly beats him though. Time and time again.

Soi-Fong

Mick Phelan : "The reason I'm standing here is because the manager is so infuriated, when he's angry he becomes a different person"

Damn that is one hell of a thing to say by a ass man lol

You all just want t hear Fergie moan about the game don't ya just so you can have another thing to poke at about United.

He was non-existent in the CL final against Barca. His style is summed up by the replay of the David Villa goal and he's just stood watching it all happen with his hands on his hips at the half-way line.

This game was a completely different situation than the Barca game. People shouldn't be arguing for him to start the game, but he should have been given minutes at the end instead of Young.

Clegg

Giggs is still class. I've been very critical of him over the last 18 months but he's been playing excellently over the last 6 weeks.

Great player.

K1LLER7

Solkjaer was so much better than Hernandez when he had the ball in his feet. He could do more with the ball for the team.

But there are at least 10 incidents in each game where a player controls a falling ball just looking at the ball...and another player is nearby, they just don't happen to collide.

Anybody who plays football knows just how difficult it would be to look around you every time a ball is there to be won.

I don't know what the rule is meant to be exactly but if Nani's red is a red by the rules - then the rules are really not realistic at all.

I know its not realistic to find any kind of objective line bewteen dangerous play and lack of spatial awareness. But the fact of the matter is that Nani has gone studs up, straight legged, decent speed, blind and in a position where its probable that another player will be arriving at the same time. You can't expect 100% awareness from every player on the pitch at all times, but the referees should not be accepting 'I was looking at the ball' in situations of such blatant disregard for the safety of opponents.

Especially when its my darling Alvaro on the receiving end :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom