• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT15| About as productive as Tika Taka

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkon

This game was a completely different situation than the Barca game. People shouldn't be arguing for him to start the game, but he should have been given minutes at the end instead of Young.

Yeah, having Hernandez in and around the box when one of those chances drops, would probably have been more effective.

Slizz

The 2nd one that I didn't see in the original gif.

ibvK33D2xTQypZ.gif

The more I see it, the tougher it is for the ref. I just gotta go with Nani's eyes being on the ball but still 50/50. Yellow at least.

Hanmik

Are you serious? You can totally tell that Nani has his head turned and is just looking at the ball. He could not have seen Arbeloa coming.

come on.. you can even see him kicking once he realized that there was another player there.. red card was deserved.

Fry

I would have given a yellow if it were me. It's a very dangerous challenge and reckless-ish, but he was going for the ball, that is clear as sunlight.

^^ you have a point.

Wilbur

Banned
Mourinho constantly beats him though. Time and time again.

Well, he didn't at Inter. He didn't really beat him through any tactical decisions tonight, so out of the four games Fergie has played against Mourinho at Inter and Madrid, I'd say Fergie's had the edge.

With Chelsea, it was probably one of the worst teams we've had under Ferguson's management - 2004/05 was a bad season all things considered - against Chelsea's best ever side. Extraneous things factor into that. Mourinho is the best of all the current, younger managers by a long distance, but considering the fact that bells like confuziz and myself expected us to get thrashed, that Madrid have the most expensive squad of all time, considering that we had a 40 year old and players like Cleverley and Welbeck who constantly get joked about on here, its not that surprising that they beat us over the two legs really. Doesn't mean Ferguson's not a better manager.

Well shit, looks like English football's coefficient is going down this year.

in the meantime I think my choices for the Champions League now that English teams are all but gone would be Schalke, Milan and maybe Bayern.

D_prOdigy

This game was a completely different situation than the Barca game. People shouldn't be arguing for him to start the game, but he should have been given minutes at the end instead of Young.

For what it's worth, I agree it was probably worth throwing him on tonight, I'm just trying to rationalise it.

Might have thrown Kagawa on first though. I still want to see how good he can be against a tiring side, rather than watching him being subbed off after an hour all the time.

I know its not realistic to find any kind of objective line bewteen dangerous play and lack of spatial awareness. But the fact of the matter is that Nani has gone studs up, straight legged, decent speed, blind and in a position where its probable that another player will be arriving at the same time. You can't expect 100% awareness from every player on the pitch at all times, but the referees should not be accepting 'I was looking at the ball' in situations of such blatant disregard for the safety of opponents.

Especially when its my darling Alvaro on the receiving end :p
Fair enough.

And this isn't a dig, but I just wonder if you think Suarez should have been sent off for that "kick" on Scott Parker.

IMO it's one of those which is very easy to justify when you are desperately trying to justify it. When you play football...it's just not how the game works. To make something like that a red card offence...and apparently a clear and undeniable red card offence...it's close to going to non-contact.

Anyway, bygones now.

Fergie needs to calm himself down and go out and do a presser. Unbecoming to do a Jose and just not say anything. Needs to praise his players and thank the fans at the very least.

Kyoufu

FOOTBALL LIVES

Yep.

Thank fuck. Welbeck and the rest of those overrated players did not deserve a CL medal.

I mean, my mind is blown that they're going to get PL medals... Jesus.

It matters because that should have been a yellow, not a straight red. Come on Kyoufu, take off your United bias for once.

Nope. It's fun.

Plus even Roy Keane. ROY KEANE says it's a red.

Well, he didn't at Inter. He didn't really beat him through any tactical decisions tonight, so out of the four games Fergie has played against Mourinho at Inter and Madrid, I'd say Fergie's had the edge.

With Chelsea, it was probably one of the worst teams we've had under Ferguson's management - 2004/05 was a bad season all things considered - against Chelsea's best ever side. Extraneous things factor into that. Mourinho is the best of all the current, younger managers by a long distance, but considering the fact that bells like confuziz and myself expected us to get thrashed, that Madrid have the most expensive squad of all time, considering that we had a 40 year old and players like Cleverley and Welbeck who constantly get joked about on here, its not that surprising that they beat us over the two legs really. Doesn't mean Ferguson's not a better manager.

You forget one other team

iZBKhD19op1O.gif

ibjogoA7kzqEyo.gif

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
For what it's worth, I agree it was probably worth throwing him on tonight, I'm just trying to rationalise it.

Might have thrown Kagawa on first though. I still want to see how good he can be against a tiring side, rather than watching him being subbed off after an hour all the time.
Oi remember all that talk about how a player who scores a hat-trick self-picks himself for the next game? Why is Fergie such a liar?

FootballFan

I'm off. GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED days for me are over.

I think Real played worse and SAF had Mourinho in his pocket but it wasn't meant to be.

Giggs is a legend.

Yep.

Thank fuck. Welbeck and the rest of those overrated players did not deserve a CL medal.

I mean, my mind is blown that they're going to get PL medals... Jesus.

Nope. It's fun.

Plus even Roy Keane. ROY KEANE says it's a red.

Keane has been bitter for a while.

And what's with everyone calling United crap and yet they've been extremely good this season.

Thanks for the kind words Sviatoslav, I always knew you loved Barca. Loskov4Lyfe

I have nothing against Barca. I just wish their games were more entertaining but that's not always their fault. They also have significantly less Portucunts in their squad than Madrid does. To be honest, it kills me that Zenit now have 3 Portucunts.

Kyoufu

Keane has been bitter for a while.

And what's with everyone calling United crap and yet they've been extremely good this season.

I agree Man Utd have been excellent actually. It's all down to Frogson and Whelan and whoever else in that coaching team.

But beating Real Madrid with Welbeck and Cleverley is a bit too much, too soon.

Wilbur

Banned

When someone else wins the league they've been the best team
When United win the league, the league's been really weak

Win 8 of our last 10 games and we equal the all time point record

we r shit

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Anyway so there's Copa Libertadores tonight. I might watch the Tijuana vs Corinthians game if I finish this freaking math homework on time.

Disappointed to be out but thought the team setup well and pretty much everyone performed fantastically.

Don't think it was a red. It wasn't dangerous play, though perhaps a bit sloppy not to be aware of the player coming in.

Still, after that wet didn't soak up the pressure well enough and looked pretty useless until Madrid got the second and dat back, after which we should really have got at least 1 goal back.

I look forward to a double this year though and think we will go far in the competition next year. This has been such a massive improvement over last year.

Also have to say the atmosphere seemed brilliant throughout. OT can be a bit limp sometimes but not tonight.

Soi-Fong

When someone else wins the league they've been the best team
When United win the league, the league's been really weak

Win 8 of our last 10 games and we equal the all time point record

we r shit

Of course we are shit. Even though we've done so well the past couple of games.

Ahhh my fellow United-GAF members.

Do not bite.

This is a night when we have to suck it up. We're still in a better position than almost every other team in Europe bar 2 or 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom