• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT15| About as productive as Tika Taka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough.

And this isn't a dig, but I just wonder if you think Suarez should have been sent off for that "kick" on Scott Parker.

IMO it's one of those which is very easy to justify when you are desperately trying to justify it. When you play football...it's just not how the game works. To make something like that a red card offence...and apparently a clear and undeniable red card offence...it's close to going to non-contact.

Anyway, bygones now.

Fergie needs to calm himself down and go out and do a presser. Unbecoming to do a Jose and just not say anything. Needs to praise his players and thank the fans at the very least.

I think the referee was right to keep Suarez on the pitch if he was unsure as to the contact made. Would have had no complaints if he'd been banned for 3 games though, for me the ball was almost an afterthought. Thankfully Suarez has *almost* eliminated the dangerous play from his game, but that was a dangerous act.

I think its worth throwing a distinction in here

Often a player will absolutely and unexpectedly throw himself in the way, and get a kick for his troubles. For me, that is fine. Perhaps a booking if the foot is high and dangerous.

But as I've said, Nani is using a genuinely dangerous technique (studs, not laces) in an area of expected traffic, and with zero awareness of the players around him at the time he starts his action

Wilbur

Banned
Of course we are shit. Even though we've done so well the past couple of games.

It's just Kyoufu. Everything he says is either sarcasm or wrong

<3 that cunt

Ahhh my fellow United-GAF members.

Do not bite.

This is a night when we have to suck it up. We're still in a better position than almost every other team in Europe bar 2 or 3.

Yeah, its amusing to see such hatred from fans of insignificant European teams like Deportivo La Coruna, Newcastle and Liverpool

iudir98iiKQlK.gif

What a goal. Modric already worth the price we paid.

arkon

When someone else wins the league they've been the best team
When United win the league, the league's been really weak

Win 8 of our last 10 games and we equal the all time point record

we r shit

That's just the way of things.

I'd rather be in your fucking position (ooer) and dealing with that noise. At least your team has chances of winning major trophies in your lifetime.

:(

Haven't played attention to the team ever since I heard Prince said he no longer wanted to play for the team. Is it that bad?

4 games left, 3 points back of Zambia having lost to them away. Not terrible but still concerning. Can't drop any more points if they want to advance.

It's just Kyoufu. Everything he says is either sarcasm or wrong

<3 that cunt

Yeah, its amusing to see such hatred from fans of insignificant European teams like Deportivo La Coruna, Newcastle and Liverpool

Hey, Liverpool and Depor (to a lesser extent) were at least significant in the slightly recent past :p

kharma45

Ahhh my fellow United-GAF members.

Do not bite.

This is a night when we have to suck it up. We're still in a better position than almost every other team in Europe bar 2 or 3.

True. It'll all blow over and when we at worst win the PL at the end of the year it'll be a good season.

Soi-Fong

Ronaldo, Alonso, Kaka, Modric, Ozil.

99% of teams that are down to ten man are going to be broken down by that amount of talent. You'd be crazy to say otherwise.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
What I like about this result is that United will focus all their rage on Chelsea at the weekend.

http://snpy.tv/12rXt5C

Finally seeing Ronnie's goal -- that little pass from Ozil back to Higuain was GORGEOUS. Modric's goal was a beauty too but 1 more inch and that probably doesn't deflect in. Incredibly fortuitous.
It's not really lucky though?

He aims to shoot so the keeper can't save it and gets it perfect. Have to hold your hands up and give him the kudos.

I think the referee was right to keep Suarez on the pitch if he was unsure as to the contact made. Would have had no complaints if he'd been banned for 3 games though, for me the ball was almost an afterthought. Thankfully Suarez has *almost* eliminated the dangerous play from his game, but that was a dangerous act.

I think its worth throwing a distinction in here

Often a player will absolutely and unexpectedly throw himself in the way, and get a kick for his troubles. For me, that is fine. Perhaps a booking if the foot is high and dangerous.

But as I've said, Nani is using a genuinely dangerous technique (studs, not laces) in an area of expected traffic, and with zero awareness of the players around him at the time he starts his action
Dunno Hitcher...a dangling leg with studs out there...it hurts alot less than somebody taking a full swing trying to ram a ball into the back of the net. Alot less.

I guess the only thing I can take solace in after that match is the unemployment in my country isn't as bad as theirs. Enjoy your champions league run, I'll continue to enjoy my stable career.

On a serious note, the match was great up until the red card. It denied both sides the climactic finish that was building. I can see where the ref felt it was a red but still, in those "feel" situations in a match like that, don't give the straight fucking red. Yellow all day every day.

Wilbur

Banned
Congratulations to Dortmund by the way! Madrid, Dortmund, Juventus. The holy trinity. One of you please <3

That's just the way of things.

I'd rather be in your fucking position (ooer) and dealing with that noise. At least your team has chances of winning major trophies in your lifetime.

:(

Yeah, we're probably coming off as massive cunts. Even to be in the position we're in is great. We've been fucking brilliant all season. So far ahead in the league. Into the latter stages of the cup. Wrapping up qualification from our group so quickly and then coming so close to going through.

Apologies if I come across as having no perspective :/

I'm sorry. I just enjoy Man Utd defeats even more than Liverpool defeats.

Feels great man.

The day Man United win the title in the same year Newcastle and Liverpool get relegated will be so glorious

Ronaldo, Alonso, Kaka, Modric, Ozil.

99% of teams that are down to ten man are going to be broken down by that amount of talent. You'd be crazy to say otherwise.

2 goals within 12 minutes of the red card though? United wilted like Liverpool in their near perfect away performance.

Dunno Hitcher...a dangling leg with studs out there...it hurts alot less than somebody taking a full swing trying to ram a ball into the back of the net. Alot less.

Can easily break a rib or two when you run head-on into one though :p

From anecdotal memories, you get a lot more significant injuries when studs make contact than you do with laces as well

Wilbur

Banned
You want Juventus to win ? Seriously ?

Yep.

In order of the teams likely to go through

1. Madrid
2. Dortmund
3. Juventus

Don't want Barca, Arsenal, Bayern, PSG or Milan to win. Celtic would be hilarious. Porto and Malaga would be nice. Couldn't give a fuck about Valencia, Gala or Schalke

Meier

It's not really lucky though?

He aims to shoot so the keeper can't save it and gets it perfect. Have to hold your hands up and give him the kudos.

Oh he definitely did what he intended to do, but if it was just 1 inch further to the right, it probably doesn't take the same angle after deflecting off the post. I think fortuitous is a good descriptor. Amazing how such a small margin can have such a big repercussion. We see it every game (Guzan had two fingertip saves that caused balls to hit the post instead of go in yesterday) but it's always impressive.

United have a great team and anyone saying otherwise is silly. Their form was a bit wobbly early on while ours was but they've been just about perfect for a few months now. Last minute winners are still winners and that's really all that matters. Even their defense and goalkeeping have been fantastic lately after some rough patches early on. It's no surprise they have so many points in the league. We knew that RVP could possibly be the difference and he proved it, but they've got guys who've scored in bunches in addition to him.

deroli

FUCK YES quarter final bitches! Dortmund one of the best eight teams in Europe. Damn that just sounds too good.
It was a well deserved victory today. Maybe the result was a bit too high. Donezk had quite a few very good chances in the second half and had to score at least one goal. But apart from the first 10, 15 minutes after the break, our defense looked much better than I expected. Compared to the last matches, Santana played soo much better today. And he scored that super-important goal. Otherwise, no one really stood out. It was simply a good performance by the whole team.
I'm more than happy. Now we can sit back and relax and watch our potential opponents facing each other. And, of course, listen to lots of great BVB music, as always after great victories.

Bohey bohey Borussia, geh nie vorbei... :')

Honestly it's pretty pathetic Froggie hasn't spoken to the media. Surely he's professional enough to come and give his point of view to the fans.

Wilbur

Banned
Honestly it's pretty pathetic Froggie hasn't spoken to the media. Surely he's professional enough to come and give his point of view to the fans.

He's proven time and time again he's a bitter man to the media :lol

We'll get something midweek I suppose.

Roy Keane deserves to have his dick cut off and have it be fed to wild animals (and Pepe). What a terrible human. Also his gray on the chin beard reminds me of Mel Gibson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom