• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT15| About as productive as Tika Taka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Humble Indie Bundle Android 5 is live by the way

Pay what you want for the musically-powered arcade shooter Beat Hazard Ultra; the top-down stealth action game Dynamite Jack; the open world intergalactic Solar 2 (tablet recommended); and physics puzzle platformer NightSky HD. If you pay more than the average, you’ll also get the frenetic action game Super Hexagon and tower defense RPG Dungeon Defenders!
Average is $6.64 atm

Also you can talk about United losing to Basel all you want, but the fact of the matter is Madrid finished second in their group and Barcelona lost to Celtic.

TO FUCKING CELTIC.

Shhhhh.

Barça have been good just until 3 weeks ago! Is beacuse of Roura and until Tito left they were playing like gods!

Zabojnik

Pogby is starting tomorrow, btw. Vidal, Chiellini, Lichtsteiner, (maybe) Asamoah, Vucinic and Giovinco resting. Quags and Matri expecting to start. Marrone as CB, with Barzagli and Keiser Bonucci on the sides.

Wilbur

Banned
No we weren't finishing well enough.

We were unlucky with the red card IMO and possible with the Varane decision in the away leg.

We had good enough chances to score 4 or 5 goals in the tie, easily. Madrid had one or 2 clear chances in both legs, I think.

It's a good building block though. A team develops and grows into winning the European Cup, it happened with the 08 win too. We need to make sure we learn the lessons.

Yeah. We'll come closer next year with one or two smart buys. RVP should have scored twice in the first leg, Welbeck should have scored one or two.

Eh. I'm satisfied immensely with how we played over the two legs.

is robin van persie made of rubber?

DBS+Football+Robin+Van+Persie+Miss+Kick+Arsenal+Transfer.jpg

arkon

Pogby is starting tomorrow, btw. Vidal, Chiellini, Lichtsteiner, (maybe) Asamoah, Vucinic and Giovinco resting. Quags and Matri expecting to start. Marrone as CB, with Barzagli and Keiser Bonucci on the sides.

I'm expecting a Juve masterclass. Getting the lube ready in anticipation.

Wilbur

Banned
Wilbs, do you think you'dve won had Nani wasn't sent off?

Yeah. I think after the sending off we panicked, lost our heads and that's why both the goals went in so quickly after it. Think we were playing well and we would have held onto the lead.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Bad referee aside, Real played better and deserved the win ... but this could have gone either way though.

Only team Im scared of moving forward is Bayern.

How was the second leg against us btw? Only managed to see the first half hour and goals

Zenit were really poor and I was very relieved we were able to make it through. Liverpool were pushing on strongly after their first goal. On the other hand though, Suarez' first goal went right through the wall( curse you Danny) and Allen's goal was directly caused by Suarez fouling and injuring Lombaerts that wasn't called. Besides that Liverpool actually didn't create anything in the first half. Second half though, we were fucking scrambling.

Clegg

No we weren't finishing well enough.

We were unlucky with the red card IMO and possible with the Varane decision in the away leg.

We had good enough chances to score 4 or 5 goals in the tie, easily. Madrid had one or 2 clear chances in both legs, I think.

It's a good building block though. A team develops and grows into winning the European Cup, it happened with the 08 win too. We need to make sure we learn the lessons.

I think we were unlucky with the Welbeck rebound after Vidic hit the post.

Welbeck isn't a great finisher and missed a couple of decent chances. RVP had a great chance in the first leg and so did Giggs.

I agree that this is a performance we can build on. But we also need to be careful with the squad. Rio and Vidic are getting on and Giggs is almost 40. If we get maybe 1 quality addition in defence and midfield then we have a chance of pushing further in the CL. The rest of the squad is pretty strong.

DominoKid

Ronaldo says it was the first time the atmosphere in a stadium threw him completely off.

I bet it did. I couldnt imagine how weird it'd be to play in your old stadium, against a lot of your old friends.

and to see them get screwed over and then be the one to finish it.

Meier

Also you can talk about United losing to Basel all you want, but the fact of the matter is Madrid finished second in their group and Barcelona lost to Celtic.

TO FUCKING CELTIC.

Madrid played the champions of Germany, England and the Netherlands.
United played the champions of Romania, Turkey and the 3rd place team from Portugal. A bit silly to bring that up. Not to mention Basel was the year before anyway.

Celtic have had a great UCL run but that loss by Barca remains shocking.

I bet it did. I couldnt imagine how weird it'd be to play in your old stadium, against a lot of your old friends.

and to see them get screwed over and then be the one to finish it.

Yeah, they got screwed over by his compatriot no less.

Fry

Yeah. I think after the sending off we panicked, lost our heads and that's why both the goals went in so quickly after it. Think we were playing well and we would have held onto the lead.

I agree.

Fergie's reaction was hilarious though.

Shhhhh.

Barça have been good just until 3 weeks ago! Is beacuse of Roura and until Tito left they were playing like gods!

I loved Tito managing Barcelona, which is odd because I hate Barca with a passion.

but any team with a squad like that who manages to lose to Celtic deserves to be ridiculed and laughed at.

Wilbur

Banned
Mou to Chelsea or United? Cast your votes.

Chelsea if anyone. Fergus isn't leaving.

Personally I think he'll stay for three more years, and Pep will leave Bayern for us. Not because we're better than them, but just because I don't see Pep staying there for years. He'll want to move around and get more experience in other countries and stuff.

I think we were unlucky with the Welbeck rebound after Vidic hit the post.

Welbeck isn't a great finisher and missed a couple of decent chances. RVP had a great chance in the first leg and so did Giggs.

I agree that this is a performance we can build on. But we also need to be careful with the squad. Rio and Vidic are getting on and Giggs is almost 40. If we get maybe 1 quality addition in defence and midfield then we have a chance of pushing further in the CL. The rest of the squad is pretty strong.
I think the Welbeck rebound was offside anyway.

We do need to continue supplementing the squad but there are alot of good players and alot of young ones getting better. We know we have some clear weaknesses, hopefully we address them.

The squad has the fight though. It was great to see. Last season was sobering because of how we wilted out of every competition.

Mou to Chelsea or United? Cast your votes.
I think he wants United.

Don't know if it will happen.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Zenit were really poor and I was very relieved we were able to make it through. Liverpool were pushing on strongly after their first goal. On the other hand though, Suarez' first goal went right through the wall( curse you Danny) and Allen's goal was directly caused by Suarez fouling and injuring Lombaerts that wasn't called. Besides that Liverpool actually didn't create anything in the first half. Second half though, we were fucking scrambling.

I hope Colombia play Russia we'll fucking crush you

defel

Its strange because United are pretty much defined by managerial stability. Do they really want to enter the roundabout that is the Madrid, Chelsea, City, Liverpool managerial uncertainty?

Clegg

I think the Welbeck rebound was offside anyway.

We do need to continue supplementing the squad but there are alot of good players and alot of young ones getting better. We know we have some clear weaknesses, hopefully we address them.

The squad has the fight though. It was great to see. Last season was sobering because of how we wilted out of every competition.
What do you think has changed within the squad? We have have pretty much the same team as we did last year. RVP is a boost but he can't be the sole reason for our improvement.

Fergie lighting a fire under the squad after how we lost the league last season?

Wilbur

Banned
What do you think has changed within the squad? We have have pretty much the same team as we did last year. RVP is a boost but he can't be the sole reason for our improvement.

Fergie lighting a fire under the squad after how we lost the league last season?

Both I think. Older, wiser. Less inclined to get nervous. More mentally stable. The whole squad's improved.

Kyoufu

I loved Tito managing Barcelona, which is odd because I hate Barca with a passion.

but any team with a squad like that who manages to lose to Celtic deserves to be ridiculed and laughed at.

Barca's weakness is playing against buses. They can't beat British teams who park a bus or two and counter. Heck even Real Madrid have success playing like that.

Chelsea if anyone. Fergus isn't leaving.

Personally I think he'll stay for three more years, and Pep will leave Bayern for us. Not because we're better than them, but just because I don't see Pep staying there for years. He'll want to move around and get more experience in other countries and stuff.
Sounds plausible.

I could see Mou being one more year with us and wait until Fergie leaves.
Didn't he say he was off to England this summer? Or did I dream that up?

Hard to know really.

I think signing RVP has made a difference in terms of the confidence you have. Anybody who plays a team sport at any level with have the one player in their team who feels gives them an edge. It can make a difference.

Also I think alot of the younger players learnt a valuable lesson last season that they needed to grow up and bounce back.

And of course, after the way we slipped up in the title race and that we got dumped out of Europe everybody must feel they have a point to prove.

Apparently Blackburn fans sang 'Fabrice Muamba should be dead' at tonights game against Bolton.

Sorry Jeff but Blackburn should go down.

K1LLER7

What Wilbury/Viva said :p

Vidic and Rio were immense at CB, as was Varne for Madrid.

Varne and Nastasic, both will be amazing CB's in the future. both still prone to a mistake (Todays goal, didn't clear properly) but they'll improve. Want Smalling and Jones to reach that level.

Barca's weakness is playing against buses. They can't beat British teams who park a bus or two and counter. Heck even Real Madrid have success playing like that.

It's funny though, because a team with as much quality as Barcelona should still be able to rip holes into Celtic, even if they are parking the bus.

Clegg

Clev slowly developing into a decent midfielder has helped too. As much as I love Scholes, having him on the team was restricting Carrick as he had to do all the donkey work. We've seen a more attack minded Carrick this season and it's benefited the team immensely.

Less injuries, Chicha, Rafa, Evra, and Giggs playing better. Hell, Anderson and Cleverley are playing better this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom