• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT15| About as productive as Tika Taka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dortmund was much more controlling in the second half IMO. Kehl gave the midfield a bit more omph going forward and made the team create more chances. I thought Dortmund were shaky in the 1st half, even though they scored two goals.

Kehl being injured make me more impressed of his ability in the Midfield.

Again, can't agree. We were much more shaky in the second half until the 3-0 and at that point, the match was pretty much over anyway. Donetsk didn't try hard enough after that and it was easy to control the game.

That said, of course Kehl is awesome and I'm happy with either of those two. But I have a slightly better feeling with Bender on the pitch.

Wilbur

Banned
Something that doesn't get enough criticism is the utter lack of identity in Man City's play. It makes the first 30 minutes of every City game absolutely shite as their front 6 try to figure out what they should be doing

Yeah, sometimes seems like Silva's floating around trying to get everyone working while they just fart about trying to get themselves into a coherent shape.

jtb

Banned
Something that doesn't get enough criticism is the utter lack of identity in Man City's play. It makes the first 30 minutes of every City game absolutely shite as their front 6 try to figure out what they should be doing

that tends to happen when your manager is terrible

that tends to happen when your manager is terrible

That is entirely down to Mancini. dc can whinge all he wants about the way he had to settle for Rodwell and Sinclair, but he's had more than enough time with his squad to implement a solid playstyle which the players can comfortably slip into from the first minute

Absolutely shite manager. We can talk about Chelsea's CL run til the cows come home, but Mancini's been fluking trophies for the last 7 or so years

arkon

Bloody hell! I wasn't planning to watch football, but Dortmund pulled me in. You beauty devils! How can I resist your sensuous yellow fabric. Also Reus was in beast mode, the one where he run down from the right, Messi-like was amazing. If he scored that, it would have been the goal of the round.

This is going to be my nickname for Dortmund from now on.

GorillaJu

I woke up to watch the game at 4:45 and soon questioned that decision when the first half was boring and un eventful. But Ramos' own goal was awesome, and then Nani getting a straight red made it worth everything.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I'm a glory hunter because i support two clubs who hasn't won anything major recently?!?!?

And you support one of or the best club in the world. Ha

Barcelona is the most amazing city in the world. Yes, and my family is Spanish. I'm probably more Spanish but Catalonia is better than all

Wilbur

Banned
That is entirely down to Mancini. dc can whinge all he wants about the way he had to settle for Rodwell and Sinclair, but he's had more than enough time with his squad to implement a solid playstyle which the players can comfortably slip into from the first minute

Absolutely shite manager. We can talk about Chelsea's CL run til the cows come home, but Mancini's been fluking trophies for the last 7 or so years

A few Coppa Italias and an FA Cup that of course he won fair and square but are still cup competitions; then a bunch of Serie As gifted to him and a Premier League won in spite of him. Fucking average as fuck manager.

bud

i agree with this. city are one of the worst big teams in the world. there a few people in their defense, a few in midfield, and a few up front. they just do whatever. there's no real structure in the way they play. this is pretty fucked up, shameful, and disgraceful when the manager has been there for more than three years already--more than enough to implement a recognizable playing style--and has left quite the mark on the team in terms of transfers.

i agree with this. city are one of the worst big teams in the world. there a few people in their defense, a few in midfield, and a few up front. they just do whatever. there's no real structure in the way they play. this is pretty fucked up, shameful, and disgraceful when the manager has been there for more than three years already and has left quite the mark on the team in terms of transfers.

I've heard that the same is true of PSG, but they of course don't get much exposure over here, were taken over more recently and have Ibra styling regardless of playstyle

Clegg

Madrid were absolutely ruthless when United went down to ten men. Just stepped up the pressure so much that we couldn't live with it.

But I thought they retreated far too much after they scored twice. Gave United far too much leeway and we created a couple of chances.

faridmon

Again, can't agree. We were much more shaky in the second half until the 3-0 and at that point, the match was pretty much over anyway. Donetsk didn't try hard enough after that and it was easy to control the game.

That said, of course Kehl is awesome and I'm happy with either of those two. But I have a slightly better feeling with Bender on the pitch.

I think we will agree to disagree on this one :)

I admit, I maybe biased when it comes to Kehl (because he is awesome) but Dortmund didn't need to defend against them and attacking them was the only option, and Kehl provided that. Yes, defensively, Bender did the job, but there were more chances when Kehl was on, which was the spirit required from the team.

Also, Santana was wonderful. Who needs Hummels when you have Santana
Just joking, Hummels, come back

Madrid were absolutely ruthless when United went down to ten men. Just stepped up the pressure so much that we couldn't live with it.

But I thought they retreated far too much after they scored twice. Gave United far too much leeway and we created a couple of chances.
I don't think they'll win the tournament unless they improve on these performances.

Bayern outplayed them last year and the teams have gone opposite ways since. Dortmund also got the better of them.

Possible of course, so much talent in the side.

I like to think of it like this

Imagine watching a game where the players were replaced with blank faces, different heights/builds and the kits were different colours

I'd be able to recognise which team was Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, us, Tottenham, Swansea, West Brom, West Ham, Fulham, Southampton, Stoke. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Wigan and Man City though if not for the difference in individual quality

flippedb

Banned
lol Madrid is no UCL winner material. Not this year.

Milan will win it. I feel it in my heart.
c'mon Zlatan magic <3

Fintan

Yeah, I was surprised by that, but I guess they were happy enough knowing you needed two. It was a big risk though, considering the chances you did end up making and the saves that Lopez had to pull out. Could have easily gone differently.

Facism

Gold Member
i'm watching the man u highlights and i gotta love how the commentator has to make it clear that "the TURKISH referee!!!!111!!!1" red-carded nani.

Chelsea if anyone. Fergus isn't leaving.

Personally I think he'll stay for three more years, and Pep will leave Bayern for us. Not because we're better than them, but just because I don't see Pep staying there for years. He'll want to move around and get more experience in other countries and stuff.

Lol Wilbury wants guardiola. I wonder if other Utd fans also want Guardiola, maybe hoping that he will pull a magic trick and completely change from top to bottom the identity of Utd.

Pathetic as this is, I can now fully enjoy the Champions League without worrying about Man Utd winning it, and hoping Barca get through

Come on Milan!!!

@Can Crusher, why would the Mancs want a different identity?

Lol Wilbury wants guardiola. I wonder if other Utd fans also want Guardiola, maybe hoping that he will pull a magic trick and completely change from top to bottom the identity of Utd.
If he's going to do that then no thanks.

Pep is at Bayern for a few years now. If he does well there then I would definitely want him. Having done well at two clubs would definitely make him a worthy Ferguson replacement.

Meier

Don't think its as simple as that in all honesty. We've been better than you this season overall, not just because your strikers haven't been putting them in. We've been better mentally, we've shown more fight, we have a better manager, we've been better tactically, we've had people scoring when RVP hasn't been. Its a tad reductive to say RVP is the difference between us and you this season. Your strikers aren't on form too much, correct... but your entire team haven't been that strong either
There's plenty of truth here but the reality is it that it's RVP winning games for you and our strikers not winning games for us. The rest is window dressing. City have 3 (maybe 4?) 0-0 draws. With a goal in each of these it's a 6 point lead with a derby to go.

Wilbur

Banned
Pathetic as this is, I can now fully enjoy the Champions League without worrying about Man Utd winning it, and hoping Barca get through

Come on Milan!!!

I do like the CL more when I'm not worrying about us going out all the time now :lol

Fuck Barca. I hope they win the least out of everyone.

faridmon

Come on Milan!!!

I hope Milan goes through, just because Dortmund and Bayern have less stronger opposition to worry about, because, lets be hones, Milan won't win shit this year.

I hope Milan goes through, just because Dortmund and Bayern have less stronger opposition to worry about, because, lets be hones, Milan won't win shit this year.

I'm bored of Barca tbh. If they still played like they did in Guardiola's first season, they'd still be a joy to watch. Not now though. And I quite like Milan. And everyone loves the underdog, especially when the favourites are such a gang of nancy-boys :p

Come on Arsenal as well, btw. Even though I was disappointed by Lightning and jcb's attitudes :p

jtb

Banned
There's plenty of truth here but the reality is it that it's RVP winning games for you and our strikers not winning games for us. The rest is window dressing. City have 3 (maybe 4?) 0-0 draws. With a goal in each of these it's a 6 point lead with a derby to go.

You have Aguero, Tevez, and Dzeko. If that's not enough world-class strikers to fire you to the treble and beyond, then there's a bigger problem than just the lack of RVP.

Wonder if Rooney will be with us next season.

Him being left out tonight and used the way he was in the first leg is pretty damning.

Wonder if Rooney will be with us next season.

Him being left out tonight and used the way he was in the first leg is pretty damning.

The first leg could be written off as a quirk of his strengths and the specific job you needed him to do. Being left out altogether though raises a lot of questions.

faridmon

I'm bored of Barca tbh. If they still played like they did in Guardiola's first season, they'd still be a joy to watch. Not now though. And I quite like Milan. And everyone loves the underdog, especially when the favourites are such a gang of nancy-boys :p

Fair enough. I do like this young Milan side myself but to be fair, I think they are too volatile. I do hope they beat Barca, because their fluid football is not there anymore.

Milan - Dortmund quarterfinal
Real Madrid - Bayern Munich Quarterfinal

Dortmund - Bayern Final

Woof

I'm fairly bitter about how the game changed after that decision.

I guess I'll watch the Celtic game for a bit tomorrow hoping for an upset, despite my neutrality. Other game likely to be good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom