• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT15| About as productive as Tika Taka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fergie's team selection was a masterstroke, he is a genius. It's a shame that the ref made a mistake but 'these things happen'. United got a joke red card to Torres at Chelsea earlier in the season, this time they were on the other end of a decision.

They still created some amazing chances over the two legs and I think if RVP hadn't gone off the boil they would have won this tie comfortably. United missed some real easy ones, especially in Madrid.
Pretty much :(

Welbeck was so great in both games it's just such a shame he doesn't quite have the edge when he gets into the box. Really needs to work on that.

Arnie

Popped up on my Facebook. Really want Dortmund to win it, Juve runners up. Sorry Yurt.

481345_494936527208277_465603345_n.jpg

Popped up on my Facebook. Really want Dortmund to win it, Juve runners up. Sorry Yurt.

481345_494936527208277_465603345_n.jpg
Did you see the interview with Klopp that was posted here in which he says he doesn't know why Liverpool used Sahin the way they did? Thoughts?

Need to catch the Dortmund highlights, what a result.

Arnie

Did you see the interview with Klopp that was posted here in which he says he doesn't know why Liverpool used Sahin the way they did? Thoughts?

Need to catch the Dortmund highlights, what a result.

I did.

I honestly can't remember a time when we did play in the number 10 position, to be honest. Whenever he played alongside Gerrard or Allen he was just floating around the midfield, not sat behind Suarez. Perhaps it was something Rodgers was trying to adapt him to in training, I'm not sure. Either way he just wasn't good enough to play in his preferred position, that's the unfortunate truth, and I don't blame Rodgers for trying to get the best out of his talents (shoot from distance, killer through balls) in a position that we were weak in.

The biggest mistake was loaning him in the first place. Sahin isn't defensively sound enough to play for us, and isn't close to being as good as Gerrard, despite wanting to play in the same position.

GorillaJu

Yes I don't know what Klopp is talking about there. I think he's just being encouraging aand not discouraging about his player.

Maybe it's just word of mouth from Sahin complaining about not being played in his preferred position, but as a deep lying CM he was a liability. Like a Christian Poulsen with a better first touch and an attacking impetus. Definitely not good enough to be the midfield anchor in a PL midfield.

I did.

I honestly can't remember a time when we did play in the number 10 position, to be honest. Whenever he played alongside Gerrard or Allen he was just floating around the midfield, not sat behind Suarez. Perhaps it was something Rodgers was trying to adapt him to in training, I'm not sure. Either way he just wasn't good enough to play in his preferred position, that's the unfortunate truth, and I don't blame Rodgers for trying to get the best out of his talents (shoot from distance, killer through balls) in a position that we were weak in.

The biggest mistake was loaning him in the first place. Sahin isn't defensively sound enough to play for us, and isn't close to being as good as Gerrard, despite wanting to play in the same position.

Yes I don't know what Klopp is talking about there. I think he's just being encouraging aand not discouraging about his player.

Maybe it's just word of mouth from Sahin complaining about not being played in his preferred position, but as a deep lying CM he was a liability. Like a Christian Poulsen with a better first touch and an attacking impetus. Definitely not good enough to be the midfield anchor in a PL midfield.
Interesting. Doesn't seem like he's back in the Dortmund team either, yet. Moving to RM really stunted him.

This was a marked improvement over last seasons Champions League disaster.

It's just cold comfort though.
Bound to be, we're still knocked out and it feels harsh, very gutting. Still alot to take from it though.

It's a shame that RVP has been so good all season but really had two of his poorest games in both ties. Not going to say he cost us or anything...but he definitely could have been the man to put us through, that's how we set up anyway.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
110 - Juventus players have been caught offside 110 times in Serie A this term, the most across the top-5 European leagues.

Cunte is out of money it seems.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
110 - Juventus players have been caught offside 110 times in Serie A this term, the most across the top-5 European leagues.

Pssh, Adebayor is offside 110 times every game.

Hixx

Finally seen Nani's red. Definite yellow but if that is a red lets just ban tackling because referees knar fucking NOWT i tell thee

So, because I'm kinda bored of the Bundesliga and it's a long time until the next BVB CL matches, how I hope our squad will look like next season:

Transfers:
In:
- Ginczek (back from loan)
- Sobiech (back from loan)
- Koch (back from loan)
- Bonmann (already done)
- Dzeko
- Jung or Jantschke
- Goretzka (but instantly loan him out back to Bochum or to some Bundesliga side)

Out:
- Owomoyela
- Lewandowski (to England please)
- Bittencourt (loaned out to a club like Mainz or Freiburg)
- Koch (loaned out to some Bundesliga side)
- Kirch (decent player but doesn't make sense for us)

GK: Weidenfeller, Langerak, Bonmann
FB: Piszczek, Jung/Jantschke, Schmelzer
CB: Hummels, Subotic, Santana, Sobiech
CM/DM: Gündogan, Bender, Kehl, Sahin
AM: Götze, Leitner, Reus, Großkreutz, Kuba
FW: Dzeko, Schieber, Ginzcek

Leitner is kind of the hardest decision. A loan would do him very good but we'd need another AM then who might make Leitner surplus when he returns. So I guess he'll stay.
A new LB is another point but I can't think of any decent one and I guess Großkreutz or Jantschke/Jung would do for cover.

GorillaJu

Fuck you morsel
You were one of the good ones :(

Lol I'm kidding man. I was actually neutral watching the match. I wouldn't have been upset to see Utd knock out Real, it'd have been great just to put up a good counter argument to the "PL sucks man look how bad City is lol."

I think Utd played well enough to win – you just didnt because of various circumstances, RvP not showing up for one reason of another, poor finishing by Welbeck, and obviously a lapse of judgment from Nani which had him sent off.

Is consensus here that the ref made the wrong call on Nani? Watching the game I thought (as I often do), that it certainly may not have been intentional, but could be called either way (yellow or red) depending on the referee. A red, while unfortunate for United, looked completely fair to me.

Another thing which comes to mind, Hernandez didn't play a single minute in either tie. Apparently he threw his bib when he realised he wasn't getting on yesterday.

Been stories about him getting itchy feet lately too.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Another thing which comes to mind, Hernandez didn't play a single minute in either tie. Apparently he threw his bib when he realised he wasn't getting on yesterday.

Why wouldn't he be getting irritated? When you see RVP and Welbeck pissing chances away and Ashley Young gets on instead of you, it's hard not to sympathise.

Clegg

Been wondering about Hernandez recently. These kind of games weren't made for him though.

Maybe we could have stuck him on with 15 minutes to go but he certainly shouldn't have started.

WJD

I'd have probably taken RVP off for him in the last 10 mins. The former is looking quite sluggish at the moment and Hernandez might have been able to put away one of the fuckton of chances we seemed to have in that period.

GorillaJu

Why wouldn't he be getting irritated? When you see RVP and Welbeck pissing chances away and Ashley Young gets on instead of you, it's hard not to sympathise.

I can understand though:

Can't take RVP off for anyone in a big game
Welbeck is on for a specific job Hernandez isn't built for
If a striker were to come on, you'd want Rooney, who does more work defensively and has the technique to score from anywhere in and around the box
Young is a wide player and could never be seen as a position Hernandez is fighting for

sohois

It's inevitable that this would become a problem as Hernandez could be the leading striker at other CL teams with his form this season so of course he would be hoping to play every game. Whilst 4 strikers seems to be the ideal number, teams just can't maintain 4 regular, top players without one of them becoming unhappy. Man City had the same problem last season with Dzeko's rumoured unhappiness.

Kyoufu

If I remember right, RVP went on a slump at this time of the year last season. Can't remember how long his no goal streak was but it was noticeable.

Even if Hernandez had got on for the last 10 minutes - I'm not sure it would appease him that much. He's a quality player who scores almost anytime he plays.

He's the clear 4th choice, that can't be something he's happy about.

Tc91

I think Hernandez would work well with Kagawa slotting him through but time and time again he can't hold his run and is always offside. You can't expect Fergie to drop Rooney or RVP for Hernandez, can't see him getting many chances in the run in. Too risky.

Why am I so tempted to buy a Wii U. Kyoufu what do you think of yours?

Kyoufu

I think Hernandez would work well with Kagawa slotting him through but time and time again he can't hold his run and is always offside. You can't expect Fergie to drop Rooney or RVP for Hernandez, can't see him getting many chances in the run in. Too risky.

Why am I so tempted to buy a Wii U. Kyoufu what do you think of yours?

Wait til E3 at the very least unless you're a Monster Hunter fan.

Nyx

Louis van Gaal is king!

e70ed227ec0c576a573c0e80488ef17d40bccd1b.jpg

He placed Mike van der Hoorn in the preliminary squad of The Netherlands.
(and also Tony Vilhena and Jean-Paul Boetius from Feyenoord are new)

Arnie

Feel hungover and I didn't even drink last night.
I know (and despise) that feeling.
Interesting. Doesn't seem like he's back in the Dortmund team either, yet. Moving to RM really stunted him.
Sahin's decline is depressing. He was at the forefront of upcoming talents not 3 years ago :(

As Klopp said, 'football's like a train', if you step off you can't expect it to wait for you. By all accounts Sahin was a limited player even when he was a regular for Dortmund, moving away from that system and protection offered by Bender saw his star fall, and other teams couldn't afford him such luxuries.

Sahin's a great example of players not knowing their team's worth to them, rather than simply the other way around.

Is Suarez doing so well this season because of his own personal growth, or changes within the team? I personally believe it's a bit of the former, but mostly the latter.

Carbonox

Yurt you cunt.

One more trophy left to Platinum Rising - S rank Revengeance mode. I'M GOING FOR IT BUD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom