• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT15| About as productive as Tika Taka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

Banned
Does anyone else feel like the clubs involved are raising the profile of the Europa League by actually trying to win it, while UEFA themselves do fuck all to help?
Are they? Napoli didn't give a fuck. Atletico didn't give a fuck. Inter openly said 3rd spot more important. Chelsea are rotating players so clearly the lowest on their priority list.

Spurs, Lazio and Newcastle are taking it seriously. Chelsea are to a certain extent but clearly more important things on their mind. It will be interesting to see their starting 11 for the return leg.

Are they? Napoli didn't give a fuck. Atletico didn't give a fuck. Inter openly said 3rd spot more important. Chelsea are rotating players so clearly the lowest on their priority list.

Spurs, Lazio and Newcastle are taking it seriously. Chelsea are to a certain extent but clearly more important things on their mind. It will be interesting to see their starting 11 for the return leg.

Spurs, Lazio, Newcastle (even though they're not safe from relegation,) Zenit, Benfica and Lyon all had bigger fish to fry, and all have gone all out in trying to get as far as possible. Its no Champions league, but its an improvement I think

pulga

Banned
Spurs, Lazio, Newcastle (even though they're not safe from relegation,) Zenit, Benfica and Lyon all had bigger fish to fry, and all have gone all out in trying to get as far as possible. Its no Champions league, but its an improvement I think

It is good for the EL to have high profile teams. Thing is, for me, it says more about how crap those teams have been the last or current season than it speaks of any actual quality in the competition.

It is good for the EL to have high profile teams. Thing is, for me, it says more about how crap those teams have been the last or current season than it speaks of any actual quality in the competition.

The quality of those teams is essentially irrelevant. They are big teams, in big leagues, with priorites elsewhere, and without squads of 25 equal players. Yet they're giving their all in the pursuit of winning the Europa League.

The quality of a team means fuck all if they can't be arsed to turn up, ala Dortmund in the German Cup. Once they're in it, the best they can do is to try and win it, and that's what they're doing when I don't think anybody necessarily expected them to put so much effort into it. Especially with Newcastle.

Tegris

How many minutes since Torres scored?

When's the last time Torres scored a goal of his own making, a goal that makes you think 'not many players can do that'? Seems like all of his goals are one or two-touch finishes since the start of 10/11

132 in all competitions (vs Middlesbrough in the Cup), 685 in the league (vs Villa before Christmas).

His last goal in which he took more than a few touches was against Barca last season I think, but that doesn't really answer your question :p I honestly can't remember him scoring a spectacular goal since he left us. The two main factors that contributed to the majority of his goals were his pace and outrageous confidence, and he'll never get the latter back without the former.

Kenka

Lazio are gunning for the double. Europa League and Coppa Italia.
I admit they are doing admirably even without Klose. Their Petkovic had already beat Spurs (not over two legs) in the CL qualifier the year Tottenham went to the 1/4 finals.

pappe

UEFA should start giving UCL qualification spot to whoever wins the Europa League. That way teams will actually give a lot more attention to that competition.

UEFA should start giving UCL qualification spot to whoever wins the Europa League. That way teams will actually give a lot more attention to that competition.

Agreed, but the winner often qualifies through domestic competition. And if you give it to the other finalist, what if they've already qualified? Give it to one of the semi-finalists? Which one?

Whatever happens, they need to make the overall reward far more lucrative

I know Leverkusen didn't give enough fucks since they'd much rather keep up their pace in the league to qualify for CL (directly).
Hanover felt like they could win the whole thing after narrowly losing to Atletico in 11/12 - so they were devastated. While Mönchengladbach was just tugging along because they just aren't stable this time around. Same goes for Stuttgart.

^ yep, though Sturridge's dance is not too bad.

Oh God, Zaha's dance is even worse than Sturridge's. I weep for the future.

I think Sturridge is aware of how stupid his dancing is, and I think he's done with it

Zaha is as oblivious to the ridiculousness of his dance as Man Utd fans are to the way Palace have bent them over and shoved Holloway's waxed dome into their lower intestine

Lightning

Banned
Agreed, but the winner often qualifies through domestic competition. And if you give it to the other finalist, what if they've already qualified? Give it to one of the semi-finalists? Which one?

Whatever happens, they need to make the overall reward far more lucrative
Atletico won it last year despite not being in the CL this year. It needs to be winner only that way Inter wouldn't have done what they done today, Napoli wouldn't have done what they did, same with Atletico. It needs to be made worth while compared to what the league offers that way it gets made MUCH more important to try and win it.

Kenka

It was indeed, really bad for Zenit. Anzhi and Rubin got acceptable results though. And I like the Europa League, even when Zenit is not in it.
Think positively about the result: I am in good mood thanks to Basle getting good chances to go through, and you will have the delight to see Hulk and Witsel finally stick their thumbs out of their asses for the return leg.

Carbonox

Lazio are gunning for the double. Europa League and Coppa Italia.

YURT YOU CUNT

I've finally got the Platinum Trophy in Metal Gear Rising.

Now off to play Mass Effect 1 for the first time ever. I hear it's the best so I'm hyped as fuck.

panty

ibg2VopcfIBBau.gif

Carbonox

Mass Effect 2 is one of my favourite games of the generation. If ME1 is better as a lot of people claim it is, that'll be very nice.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
YURT YOU CUNT

I've finally got the Platinum Trophy in Metal Gear Rising.

Oh you fucking master ninja.
3AQmK.gif

Every time I try to Platinum a game, I end up hating it. Which is why I have 0 Platinums in my PS3 cabinet. :p

Might as well change my PS3 username to Arsenal.

Carbonox too said:
Now off to play Mass Effect 1 for the first time ever. I hear it's the best so I'm hyped as fuck.

Enjoy! I remember liking it quite a bit.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah, I guess, but we'll never stoop as low as banning papers for trying to sell copies.

That really is the lowest of the low, isn't it? The lowest

They'll probably sell more copies if they do a piece explaining which papers they are. Plus all they have to do is wait for another paper to put the presser up and then just copy it.

It's immature and petty. But it's not the fucking heinous hate crime you're making it out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom