• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT15| About as productive as Tika Taka

Status
Not open for further replies.

FootballFan

He even trolled villa after the Sevilla game, right before the Milan first leg.

He said "I like playing with villa, he makes more space for me"

Villa thought this was good news but messi didn't start him the next 3 games.

bjaelke

Desert storm: World's top football teams to be offered huge sums to play in Middle East summer league

13 Mar 2013 01:31
The tournament - to be held in the Gulf every other year - would involve 24 of the world's top clubs, potentially including four from England

Oil-rich billionaires could offer up to £175m to the world's biggest clubs just to take part in a summer 'Dream Football League'.

The tournament - to be held in six cities in the Gulf region every other year, starting in 2015 - would involve 24 elite clubs.

Organisers would hope to attract four English clubs from Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur to take part, a report in The Times today claims.

The DFL would be bankrolled by the Qatari royal family in the hope it would rival or even overtake the Champions League and Club World Cup due to the eye-wateringly high sums involved.

The DFL would involve 16 permanent members with eight other teams invited to take part in each tournament.

The report says top clubs like Barcelona and Manchester United would be offered £175m to turn up - massively dwarfing the £47.3m Chelsea banked for actually winning the Champions League last season.

Matches would take place in the 40-degree heat of the Middle Eastern summer but officials have confidence in stadium climate-control technology which will also be used for the 2022 World Cup.

The project is apparently being driven from both Qatar and Paris after the recent takeover of Paris Saint-Germain by Qatari Sports Investment.

They would hope to entice Barcelona, given they are sponsored by the Qatar Foundation, shortly to be replaced by Qatar Airways.

Any participation by English clubs would further open up the huge financial chasm between the Premier League's big guns and the rest.

It is not known if Scottish rivals Celtic and Rangers would be invited to join the DFL, which would take place in odd-numbered years to avoid clashing with World Cups and European Championships.

It remains to be seen how the sport's governing bodies, national leagues and potential participants will react to the blueprints.

UEFA and the Premier League did not comment when approached by the newspaper yesterday.
No. Please no.

I find it hard to believe that Messi is handling the lineup and tactics though.

He's a great footballer, but not really sure if he's manager material. Then again if he is and the fact that Barcelona has been one of the best footballing clubs in the world, I can't really disagree with his actions.

Lightning

Banned
I find it hard to believe that Messi is handling the lineup and tactics though.

He's a great footballer, but not really sure if he's manager material. Then again if he is and the fact that Barcelona has been one of the best footballing clubs in the world, I can't really disagree with his actions.
There is heaps wrong with it. What gives Messi the right that he can choose a football team and tactics? No player should have that kind of authority.

There are reports that Cazorla, Walcott and Mertesacker are all going to be on the bench for the Bayern game. Wtf reserve team playing.

sohois

No. Please no.

UEFA should threaten to ban anyone who takes part in such a monstrosity. Of course that would open the possibility of big clubs saying fuck you to the CL and trying to permanently break away. Hopefully the idea dies a quick death before it comes to that.

FootballFan

There is heaps wrong with it. What gives Messi the right that he can choose a football team and tactics? No player should have that kind of authority.

If it works why not. If my coach told me wear an eye patch and only use my opposite foot, as long as it worked I would continue doing it.

Messi is going to text Pep formations for Bayern. He will tell him to use Shaqiri. He will also inform Shaq that he has to be less of a tank, and more like a torpedo.

Alright, I really have something to get off my chest today, after everything I heard/saw yesterday night. I know how Footy-GAF is, how everybody reacts and how people usually "support" other teams in games like yesterday, so I wasn't actually surprised to see a lot of "Forza Milan" etc. before the game and a bunch of "useless cunts" after. So that was pretty much people who don't usually give a damn about the Serie A because, well, it's the Serie A.

But, to the people who actually cares about Italy and honestly were looking forward to Milan getting through the quarterfinals and then shit all over us: this team, this particular team that you saw yesterday night, three-four months ago was in the relegation zone of the Serie A. As you all know how bad Serie A is, you get the picture.

Last night, after 150 minutes with 30 left on the clock, we were drawing 2-2 vs Barcelona, which still is one of the top 2-3 teams out there and happens to have the best player of the world (in my opinion, but that's not the point) upfront.

I knew that this team couldn't handle Barcelona and especially Camp Nou, it was pretty obvious. I said this the day after the first match, Zapata and Mexes just can't have two matches like that in the CL because they're not as good as one would expect after seeing that game. The rest of the team simply doesn't have enough experience.

We have a completely different mentality from last year, we decided to have more youngsters in the team and let all of the once great players leave because they didn't had a place in this squad anymore. If we had (and this is something that I hate to say) Gattuso, Nesta and Seedorf (as much as I hated the guy. Also, I'm not counting Thiago Silva and Ibra) yesterday night we would've lost 1-0.

Instead, we had: Abbiati (a swing and a miss, usually), Abate (knows how to run, and doesn't even know how to write the word "cross"), Constant (who was in the relegation zone last year with Genoa), Mexes (if he's on his period then fuck everything), Zapata (was in a team that eventually got relegated last year), Ambrosini (too old for this stuff), Montolivo (still unexperienced), Flamini (as long as you ask him to break legs everything's good. Otherwise, God help us), El Shaarawy (born in 1992) who led the team the whole fall and now is kinda resting himself, Niang (born in 1994) who is having a bad shape period, Boateng (who usually gets one game right and seventeen wrong).

Now tell me how people could expect us to win or to go through the QF without conceding one goal or two.

Or tell me another team that did what we did this year, and by that I mean: letting all of our experienced players go at first then selling our two best players plus another really good one, fight in the relegation zone for two months, get back on track, get to the 3rd place of the table, win 2-0 at home vs the best team of the world using a bunch of youngsters and inexperienced players then draw 2-2 against said team with 30 minutes left.

I'm not mad at our team or, say, Niang. We won the first match, we lost the second one, again, vs Barcelona. With this team I couldn't ask for anything more.

Where do you live/what's the time?

Oh I'm guessing in the US?
Italy.

Are you really going to miss your team going through the QF?
Nah, a Martini made me stay awake during the whole game.

If it works why not. If my coach told me wear an eye patch and only use my opposite foot, as long as it worked I would continue doing it.

Messi is going to text Pep formations for Bayern. He will tell him to use Shaqiri. He will also inform Shaq that he has to be less of a tank, and more like a torpedo.
This.

Winning is everything. If Messi is helping the team to win then fuck the manager. His words take top priority.

Then again I doubt that this is happening. From the interviews I've read Messi seems more like a goal scoring savant but can't do shit outside football in real life.

Lightning

Banned
It would be bad news for Arsenal. I imagine only the top 4 would get in.
We can still make the top 4 and there is more than just this season. Top 4 is all that matters anyway, everyone knows my view on the Europa league.

Completely understand Lucifer. I didn't mean to shit on Milan after the game. I was just hopeful that Milan could have brought them down a peg or two. I mean no disrespect to the Milan side but the first leg performance gave a lot of confidence that you may sneak one in as I had hoped you guys would score. Most knew you would concede but I'm sure many thought Milan may have been able to sneak in a away goal which would have changed the match.

You just encountered Barca on one of their god mode days. Unfortunate but they can destroy anyone when they play like they did today, they were brilliant but I still don't like them.

Arshavin to lead Arsenal to glory. Him and the reserve team did it against Reading and they will do it here. REMUNTADA!!!
Maybe that's where Meus gets his confidence from? Lol. I will support our team no matter which 11 players take the field.

Lightning

Banned
Damn, some shitty results yesterday.
Now we can't avenge our losses to Schalolke this season and no more Boa Boa Boa Teng Teng Teng :(
Schalke's defending is shocking. Their goal keeper was actually not bad but their defending was shit and their attack was pretty shit too. They deserved to go out in my opinion.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Barcelona, which still is one of the top 2-3 teams out there and happens to have the best player of the world (in my opinion, but that's not the point) upfront.

I agree on David Villa too.

Yeah, I don't know why everyone was laughing, no one expected Milan to do what they did in the first place, not even the players and Allegri. It was quite an achievement to defeat them 2-0 with this team.

And I still don't understand WHY Muntari was on the bench? He was one of Milan's best players in San Siro.

On the bright side, now you'll finish 2nd in Serie A.
or first

Kenka

Damn, some shitty results yesterday.
Now we can't avenge our losses to Schalolke this season and no more Boa Boa Boa Teng Teng Teng :(
I wonder what's wrong with Schalke's mentality: they can't keep their form up for some reason, reminds me of Sevilla or Coruna in Spain or Liverpool in England to name a few. Those teams just don't know how to play at a steady level, which is always gonna bite you in the bottom when you play a lot of fixtures.

Schalke's defending is shocking. Their goal keeper was actually not bad but their defending was shit and their attack was pretty shit too. They deserved to go out in my opinion.
That for sure. Congrats Gala, the tie has delivered as much as it promised when it was drawn.
Still I am a bit sour to see Schalke make the same mistakes every year. They have only grown financially but somehow this doesn't help them be at the top of the(ir) game more than sporadically.

FootballFan

Yeah, I don't know why everyone was laughing, no one expected Milan to do what they did in the first place, not even the players and Allegri. It was quite an achievement to defeat them 2-0 with this team.

And I still don't understand WHY Muntari was on the bench? He was one of Milan's best players in San Siro.

or first

Hmm I don't seem to recall laughing in here.

If it was any of Barca-GAF we were laughing at the haters that want us out so bad lol. The same people who would have posted so many salt pictures that we'd be 20 pages ahead now had Barca lost.

I see - makes sense. Even in games vs. BVB (where Klopp made huge mistakes related to either tactics or choice of players) they made some dumb def. mistakes that we just failed to capitalize on, although Matip (CB) was pretty strong in the last game + Hildebrand (keeper) gave them some more stability. They also lost some quality in attack with Huntelaar being injured and Draxler is very good, but far from being the new Götze (unlike some Schalke-Smurfs would like you to believe)

And I don't quite understand why Lucifer is so upset about people cheering for his team because they hate/dislike their opponent. Of course some of them are cunts and will completely turn on your team if they lose (like some do on Dortmund when we lose or can't compete with Bayern), but I just tend to ignore it.
Most of those people are not cunts and will just genuinely be sad if their chosen team loses. That'd be my reaction as well if I hadn't missed those games.

/@Kenka
I don't really know what's wrong with them and don't really care all that much either, lol
But it seems like they have some really shitty leadership and the fans are super moody too. Or why would they fire Stevens mid-season even after sucessfully completing the CL group stages?! lol
Horst Heldt especially is a stupid pos and is pretty crappy when it comes to transfers and contracts (see Holtby).

Completely understand Lucifer. I didn't mean to shit on Milan after the game. I was just hopeful that Milan could have brought them down a peg or two. I mean no disrespect to the Milan side but the first leg performance gave a lot of confidence that you may sneak one in as I had hoped you guys would score. Most knew you would concede but I'm sure many thought Milan may have been able to sneak in a away goal which would have changed the match.

You just encountered Barca on one of their god mode days. Unfortunate but they can destroy anyone when they play like they did today, they were brilliant but I still don't like them.
That's what I was expecting too, to be honest. I expected to see Barça going through but I also thought that at least we would've scored one goal.

He played from the start vs Genoa, plus Ambro was the most experienced player we have, so I guess that's what Allegri thought.
or first
Nah, we'll leave the Scudetto to you guys, we don't really want it.

Seriously though, 2nd in the Serie A would be another amazing achievement. I'd be really happy with that.
And I don't quite understand why Lucifer is so upset about people cheering for his team because they hate/dislike their opponent. Of course some of them are cunts and will completely turn on your team if they lose (like some do on Dortmund when we lose or can't compete with Bayern), but I just tend to ignore it.
Most of those people are not cunts and will just genuinely be sad if their chosen team loses. That'd be my reaction as well if I hadn't missed those games.
I'm not upset about them, I'm like that when I have to cheer any of Inter or Napoli opponents: I was cheering Chievo on Sunday and called Catania Cuntania when they lost vs Inter after leading 2-0. I know that they just wanted to see Barça out of the CL, and of course seeing a team not even remotely wanting to win like we did yesterday would've fed me up too. That's why I was talking about the rest of the people who sometimes look at the Serie A and, like a part of Milan-Gaf, forgot how bad we were a few months ago.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
FootballFan said:
If it was any of Barca-GAF we were laughing at the haters that want us out so bad lol

Hmm.

@BarcaGAF

There's a huge difference between hating on Barca and wanting what's best for your team/league.

I was with Milan because 1) they're easier on paper* 2) Barca are favourites to win the competition, and 3) Milan is an Italian team.

*Even though we lost to them once in San Siro.

dc89

No. Please no.

Just came to post this... but I read the thread!!

Untitled-1_2507860a.jpg

Zabojnik

Just so you know, FootballFan, my Barca cheering days are over. I'd rather we don't go against the best team of all times and for eternity. COME ON LUCKY DRAW!

bjaelke

He added: "Suso has been a very good cover player for us this season, the longer plan for him we have to look at.

"Does he actually have to go and play somewhere for a year and get experience? Does he need to show he can go and get goals and create goals and then we know what we have?"
We should send him to Britannia for a season. That should toughen him. He could dine at BK with Charlie Adam.

bjaelke

Just came to post this... but I read the thread!!

Untitled-1_2507860a.jpg

I almost wish you'd posted it first.
Yesterday in France the website Cahiers Football ran a satirical article which dreamed up something called the Dream Football League. It was a joke, they even made claims like each team would have their own stadium and players would live on specially built islands. The stadiums would have crowd noise plumbed in from English grounds like Old Trafford (less of the crowd noise jokes!) and fans in this country could watch holograms of their players in action.

This was the outlandish part of the French article, they also said there would be 24 teams involved in the Dream Football League and that it would be based in Qatar and other Gulf states - the exact same claims that The Times and other newspapers have made.

The satirical article was then picked up by Bonjour Qatar yesterday, but they thought it was serious. They even link back to the Cahiers article as their source, but they take out the most crazy stuff and are left with the claims about 24 members, 16 permanent and 8 guest, and it being called the Dream Football League. They weren't the only site to think it was serious and it's popped up elsewhere too, whilst also linking to the satirical article as a source.

This is either a remarkable coincidence or someone has been tricked by a hoax. The Twitter account @Zidanoohno claims that he writes for Cahiers and has been explaining on his timeline that the whole thing was a joke, and stating his surprise at how far it has got. The manager of Cahiers is also on Twitter, @ApprentiHorsjeu, and he's shocked too.

The Dream Football League may be just that, a dream, or this could be an incredible coincidence where life imitates art within hours.

Kenka

It's ok, Italy are still in front of England in the yearly coefficient and they are having their best year since 2009/2010. Lazio, Juve and even Inter have done a good job. Had Napoli had some cojones in the group phase of the EL, you would be at the same level of Bundesliga, which would have been a serious signal to Europe of the renewal of the league.

Next year.

Kenka

Why am I so sure that we'll draw either Barca or Madrid and Bayern will draw Galatasary on Friday?
Gala with another game in Germany would make the world explode.

It is very encouraging that nobody got into brawls before, during and after the game. It seems like the past resentment from the Turkish against the German (and vice versa) in the Ruhr area is a thing of the past. It even seems like the bias towards Turkish teams is not a German-Turkish thing anymore but very well a general trend in whole West Germany.

That's really a nice evolution. Finally real some signs of synergy in German-Turkish relations, and an encouraging sign in a increasing polarized world.

vall03

There are reports that Cazorla, Walcott and Mertesacker are all going to be on the bench for the Bayern game. Wtf reserve team playing.

I just read that Szcesny is out and then this? Looks like Im not going to wake up early tomorrow to watch the game. Though I'd love to watch it for the lols, but then its Swansea on weekend... *sigh*

Linius

Really hope that Dream League thing never happens. Players need their rest, what the fuck Sheiks. I can live a few months a year without football :/

fuenf

Why am I so sure that we'll draw either Barca or Madrid and Bayern will draw Galatasary on Friday?

Do you want Dortmund to draw them, because you believe they are the weakest team in the competition? ;)

Come on we all know that Real-Barca and Bayern-Dortmund will be on one side of the bracket, just so that PSG can reach the final. #Quatini

Linius

But one week with international football will kill you.

What?

All I meant is that I don't think it's wise to just plan another tournament for club players in the summer. They already have limited rest when a WC or EC tourney is going on.

And apart from that the financial aspect only divides the top and the rest more than ever. I don't think we should want this.

bjaelke

What?

All I meant is that I don't think it's wise to just plan another tournament for club players in the summer. They already have limited rest when a WC or EC tourney is going on.

And apart from that the financial aspect only divides the top and the rest more than ever. I don't think we should want this.

Footy-gaf always complain about the international breaks because there's no football worth watching.

Come on we all know that Real-Barca and Bayern-Dortmund will be on one side of the bracket, just so that PSG can reach the final. #Quatini

I though the semi-finals will be drawn seperately this year?

I'd love to play Juve, PSG, Barca or Porto. Don't need to play Bayern yet again and I'm kinda afraid of Mou, after the 2 matches last year I'm rather sure he could find a way to give us an incredibly hard challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom