• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT15| About as productive as Tika Taka

Status
Not open for further replies.
I... uh... wtf?! Just woke up and saw that Arsenal beat Bayern? How in the world did this happen? Please tell me Arsenal was still awful for the most part and missing chances, because I really cant picture them dominating Bayern.

Anyway, hope this motivates the team more for the League and for the Top 4 finish. Dammit Wenger! Is Top 4 the only thing we will be wishing for every season?!
Yes

It just so happened that Arsenal scored twice against a woeful Bayern. Both teams deserved to be kicked out of the CL based on this match alone. Terrible performance

dc89

63984_568384653179635_780578340_n.jpg

I wonder why Aguero has linked up with Argentina's doctors to aid his recovery?!

FuturusX

Just seen the result. Tough luck Arsenal.

On the subject of best players, I'd argue Ronaldo and Messi are head to head right now in terms of sheer effectiveness and impressiveness.

Third hasn't been Iniesta, not last season. Would have had Pirlo, Marchisio, Vidal, Chiellini, Barzagli, Buffon, Ozil, Busquets, Van Persie all ahead of him, off the top of my head.

Never have Van Persie ahead of him. Not when your list is missing Falcao.

K1LLER7

Where's Timurid at?

I owe him a new Avatar :D

^ Yaya Toure would definitely be in that list of top players. He was City's main man last season.

How did you become a Chelsea fan Wooden?

When they won CL.

Them against Copenhagen was the first match I remember seeing live when I was really small. When I was a bit older and the worlds best winger ever (Grønkjær, not Robben) played for them I started really liking them.

Chelsea proves shit. Lucky as hell all the way to the final and through the final. So many in the balance moments fell their way.

and how many of these other games that "proves otherwise" can't be written down to luck too? Arsenal - Bayern can't, but just look a week back at United - Real. Then we can also go back and say Barca winning CL proved nothing when Chelsea should have had 3 penalties and so on.

Clegg

We need gifs of the Martinez foul. The one he got a yellow card from.

If it's as bad as it looked live then I want UEFA and Cakir to immediately apologise to United.

fuenf

When they won CL.

Them against Copenhagen was the first match I remember seeing live when I was really small. When I was a bit older and the worlds best winger ever (Grønkjær, not Robben) played for them I started really liking them.

I see same way I became a Bayern fan.

We need gifs of the Martinez foul. The one he got a yellow card from.

If it's as bad as it looked live then I want UEFA and Cakir to immediately apologise to United.
Was more or less the same situation as Nani.

Bet hardly anybody genuinely thinks it's a red lol

FuturusX

When they won CL.

and how many of these other games that "proves otherwise" can't be written down to luck too? Arsenal - Bayern can't, but just look a week back at United - Real. Then we can also go back and say Barca winning CL proved nothing when Chelsea should have had 3 penalties and so on.

UTD were well beaten in the end. Did the card make a difference, probably, but we'll never know. Over the two legs Real provided the real attacking threat. UTD were well organized though.

Chelsea played on the edge of losing in so many games. This is not to say they were a bad team. But they could so easily have been defeated on many occasions. The best teams rise to the top, fair play to Chelsea.

So essentially I'm saying Chelsea were not lucky at all?

Either way I call it Drogba's cup.

UTD were well beaten in the end. Did the card make a difference, probably, but we'll never know. Over the two legs Real provided the real attacking threat. UTD were well organized though.

Chelsea played on the edge of losing in so many games. This is not to say they were a bad team. But they could so easily have been defeated on many occasions. The best teams rise to the top, fair play to Chelsea.

So essentially I'm saying Chelsea were not lucky at all?

Either way I call it Drogba's cup.
We had better chances than Madrid did though. Probably 3/4 clear cut chances which were all better than any of the ones they created.

FuturusX

We had better chances than Madrid did though. Probably 3/4 clear cut chances which were all better than any of the ones they created.

In the first leg? I don't fully remember. The second - well after the card especially. They had a mountain of chances.

But perhaps it looked that way.

Dibbz

Walcott wasn't great, but he was still better than Giroud and Rosicky, who were both awful. At least Walcott gives you another goal threat, since we all know Gervinho cannot finish to save his fucking life. Giroud and Walcott up top, Ox on the right, Jenkinson on the overlap. That's more of a threat than what we got.

Great effort, certainly didn't expect that when I woke up. just think that when you're that close... what might have been.

Walcott played in the first leg up front on his own. He was shit then to.

In the first leg? I don't fully remember. The second - well after the card especially. They had a mountain of chances.

But perhaps it looked that way.
We had the best chance of the first leg when RVP missed a simple one-on-one. Giggs also had a good chance. RVP hit the post. Welbeck missed a near post flick which should have probably been a goal too.

Had plenty in the 2nd leg too.

Matters little now, but if we took our chances we would have probably gone through even with the red card.

doicare

3 La Liga teams
2 Bundesliga teams
1 Seria A team
1 Ligue 1 team
1 Turkish League team

0 EPL teams.

Yep that's what happens when the best English Premier League team gets cheated out of progressing to the next round and most of the other English teams get drawn against the hardest teams possible.

FuturusX

We had the best chance of the first leg when RVP missed a simple one-on-one. Giggs also had a good chance. RVP hit the post. Welbeck missed a near post flick which should have probably been a goal too.

Had plenty in the 2nd leg too.

Matter little now, but if we took our chances we would have probably gone through even with the red card.

Real fans could say the same. They had 28 shots in the first leg. If they had been better could it not have been 4-1?

Wellbeck missed some sitters though. So I half agree.

arkon

Just got in. Wow at the Arsenal result. Were Bayern coasting through the game? Or was it more a case of a good Arsenal performance?

Shame about Porto in the other game. They should have killed the tie off in the first leg. On the other hand I'm not too displeased that Malaga went through. They've been involved in some really enjoyably CL games this year.

jtb

Banned
if Malaga win the CL, will they still be banned from the competition next year? :lol

Walcott played in the first leg up front on his own. He was shit then to.

honestly the biggest problem is the system. It doesn't matter who you stick up front in this lone striker system; Giroud, Podolski, Theo, Gervinho. They'll all be shit. I have no fucking clue why Wenger refuses to play 4-4-2. The players can't play like Barcelona, so at least we can use the pace on the flanks to do something because unless Wenger plans on spending some fucking money, these current players aren't going to cut it.

Real fans could say the same. They had 28 shots in the first leg. If they had been better could it not have been 4-1?

Wellbeck missed some sitters though. So I half agree.
They did have alot of shots but very few of those were clear chances. At the red card, we had more or as many clear chances as them.

They deserved to go through in the end - but the tie did change on the red card, quite significantly.

So in terms of "luck" defining the tie, I think it did help Real quite alot. Esp when you consider that by the letter of the law Varane could have probably seen red in the first leg.

Every team needs luck to win the CL. We had loads in '99 and we got lucky on numerous occasions in 08 too. I don't think Chelsea were the best team in Europe last year by any means but when the luck came their way they took it...fair one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom