• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT15| About as productive as Tika Taka

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think the CL results so far accurately reflect the quality of the european leagues

la liga > bundesliga > serie a > ligue 1 > turkish league > EPL/portugese league/scottish league

G-Unit

Who are the reigning champions of the champions league?

So let's forget they werent the best team in the competitions(I would argue Munich was) and they got really lucky during many moments. Lets also forget how shitty they are right now. Then I would say they were meant to win it(I honestly don't find another reason). But few clubs fear chelsea this last few years if any. On prime time they were really good, but that was when EPL was in his prime time too.

Clegg

how the hell does not having the best teams makes you the best league :/ what kind of logic is that

It means you have a few amazing teams but it's to the detriment of the league as a whole.

Barcelona and Madrid steam rolling La Liga for the last 5 years has made it an uncompetitive, boring farce.

But Athletico's ascent has made things a bit more interesting.

Messi

Olivia Pic

Yurt <3, Juve <3, MUFC <3

^ Yeah cool :)

If you've got the original sizes, I could edit the pic a little.

Ok gimmie a min and ill send you a few pics you can edit :p

Edit: The fight for 4th in La Liga has been facinating this season, much like the EPL.

G-Unit

I have many Olivia avatars if you want me to send you a few?

The_Catwoman.jpg

Yep

Wilbur

Banned
how the hell does not having the best teams makes you the best league :/ what kind of logic is that

Because you have the two best teams, three very good teams and 15 average to shit teams. With no competition outside the top two.

Premier League has 6-8 great to very good teams, a few good teams, a few average ones and very few shit ones. With more competition across the whole league if maybe not at the very top.

Bundesliga has two great teams, one or two very good teams, a few good teams, and the rest average. Not a lot of shit teams there either, and it's also more competitive across the rest of the league.

Serie A has one great team, a fair few very good to good teams, and a few average and shit ones. It's far more competitive across the entire league than La Liga is.

I don't find La Liga's slower style of play the best. I don't find the majority of teams the best. I don't find the showmanship the best. I don't like their stupid handball rule. I don't like their refs. I don't like their team centric media. I don't like their television deal. They're not the best league outside of the top two.

But you seem to be the one that keeps making the entirety of la Liga about the top two teams, not anyone else. Arguing its the best league solely because of two teams is woefully narrow.

Lightning

Banned
Go back and watch the fucking Man Utd and Real Madrid tie again. Mou himself said the BEST SIDE LOST. You can't gauge it on who's still in the CL.

Popularity is a fair gauge. No body wants to watch something or pay to watch something that's shit after all.

G-Unit

It means you have a few amazing teams but it's to the detriment of the league as a whole.

Barcelona and Madrid steam rolling La Liga for the last 5 years has made it an uncompetitive, boring farce. The PL could eventually face a similar problem.

But Athletico's ascent has made things a bit more interesting.

I'm pretty sure if we put middle table teams to face each other(league vs league) La liga would still come on top. Sadly we can just imagine unless we take a look at Europa League, which makes it a seal deal :p

G-Unit

Go back and watch the fucking Man Utd and Real Madrid tie again. Mou himself said the BEST SIDE LOST. You can't gauge it on who's still in the CL.

Popularity is a fair gauge. No body wants to watch something or pay to watch something that's shit after all.

I saw both games! and in the first game manchester was full of pooh! and even with only 10 in the second game... it was sad how they suddenly became little kitties!

I was routing for ManU btw, but I knew they would fall short.

G-Unit

Because you have the two best teams, three very good teams and 15 average to shit teams. With no competition outside the top two.

Premier League has 6-8 great to very good teams, a few good teams, a few average ones and very few shit ones. With more competition across the whole league if maybe not at the very top.

Bundesliga has two great teams, one or two very good teams, a few good teams, and the rest average. Not a lot of shit teams there either, and it's also more competitive across the rest of the league.

Serie A has one great team, a fair few very good to good teams, and a few average and shit ones. It's far more competitive across the entire league than La Liga is.

I don't find La Liga's slower style of play the best. I don't find the majority of teams the best. I don't find the showmanship the best. I don't like their stupid handball rule. I don't like their refs. I don't like their team centric media. I don't like their television deal. They're not the best league outside of the top two.

But you seem to be the one that keeps making the entirety of la Liga about the top two teams, not anyone else. Arguing its the best league solely because of two teams is woefully narrow.

This so called 6-8 good teams does not perform in the tournaments that gives you an idea how they compare to other league. So my conclusion is EPL is an even league but they are not as good as some people want to make believe.

Suen

Why can no one understand fucking context, Jesus Christ

Stupid fucking argument. Stupid argument. The same people would just say the premier league wasn't the best even when we kept making finals.

It's like saying the French League is better than the Premier League because PSG are in te quarters. It's a fucking stupid argument based on no context and uses surface level evidence.
This is how it works in the football world. It's all about surface level evidence. This is the evidence that we use when we say that Chelsea was the best club in Europe last year with Corinthian being the best club in the world!

On a more serious note if we're just going to compare the big three (La Liga, Serie A and PL) then PL and Serie A is definitely more competetive, teams are more equal in strength there and this leads to more frequently intense matches. Yes La Liga does have good teams but the gap between the top two (Madrid and Barca) and the the others (Malaga, Atletico, Valencia, Sevilla etc.) is big. You can notice this on La Liga matches; when you compare them to Serie A and PL then La Liga matches can often be slow between the bigger teams except when it's El Clasico. Now remove Barca and Real and I'd say it you'd had a league with more equally strong teams like the other two leagues. Hopefully Malaga, Atletico etc. can catch up so there will be tougher challenges.

However this is just my personal opinion but when a La Liga match does get very intense and when two teams do play at an equal level then I think it's way more enjoyable than what I see in the other leagues. The proof for that is El Clasico, it basically shows the La Liga beauty. Of course the other teams won't perform at the same level but I wanted to point out more that El Clasico shows what you can expect from La Liga (albeit at different levels as I said)

But overall I'd say Serie A has the most attractive football :p

Wilbur

Banned
I'm pretty sure if we put middle table teams to face each other(league vs league) La liga would still come on top. Sadly we can just imagine unless we take a look at Europa League, which makes it a seal deal :p

What do you mean by middle table?

Looking at it equivalent to equivalent, and on their absolute best form, I reckon:

1. Barca > Man Utd
2. Real Madrid > Man City
3. Atletico Madrid > Tottenham (hard one)
4. Chelsea > Malaga
5. Arsenal > Sociedad
6. Liverpool > Betis (hard one)
7. Valencia > Everton
8. West Brom > Rayo
9. Swansea > Getafe
10. Levante > Fulham
11. Stoke > Valladolid
12. Sevilla > West Ham
13. Newcastle > Espanyol
14. Bilbao > Norwich
15. Osasuna > Sunderland
16. Southampton > Granada
17. Zaragoza > Villa
18. Wigan > Mallorca
19. Celta > Reading
20. QPR > Deportivo

That's 10-10, and two of them are Barca and Madrid which distort it a little because they're better than every other team

Now of course this is all opinion, but I don't think I'm far off. And it's the stupidest thing I've done in a while. But fuck it. Fuck this stupid conversation.

when EPL had a ton of teams in the CL in years past, their shit fans would use that as a reason to argue "best league in the world" and would laugh off any attempts at nuance

it is interesting that now all of a sudden the CL is not a good gauge of the best teams. instead, it seems that a much better gauge is whatever the english pundits on the TV say.

jtb

Banned
Real Madrid and Barcelona get more TV money than every other side in Europe (not to mention, while suffocating their own league). Of course they're going to be better equipped to compete in Europe; why even bother playing 38 league fixtures when only two matter?

As for the rest, it's a cycle. United will strengthen, Chelsea and City will strengthen, Spurs will strengthen... Arsenal... well, let's see if we even make it to the CL next season.

Suen

But the popularity says a lot about the health of the league. CL results says we don't have the best teams, nothing more than that.
Doesn't economy have lots to do with this? Who knows were La Liga and Serie A would be today if those two countries weren't in such a mess. Heck watching some of the Serie A matches can be depressing, remember much more attendance in the 90's but these days only Juve, Milan and Roma games (Serie A-gaf, correct me here) have that.

FuturusX

Got some Champion's League news...

Barca vs Galatasaray next round...Bank on it.

I've seen a sneak peek of the draw.

I'm doing a bit of work for Unicef, save children from something or the other, and overhead the final decision in a board meeting. They voted unanimously for Galatasaray.

Wilbur

Banned
when EPL had a ton of teams in the CL in years past, their shit fans would use that as a reason to argue "best league in the world" and would laugh off any attempts at nuance

it is interesting that now all of a sudden the CL is not a good gauge of the best teams. instead, it seems that a much better gauge is whatever the english pundits on the TV say.

Why the fuck does anyone care what pundits on television think

Why would you even use that as an argument

Why would anyone ever give a fuck what fucking Andy Townsend thinks

Why would different competitions dictate what league is better

2 English teams in the EL > better than La Liga because they only have 1 or some shit

That's not how it works

You judge on the actual fucking LEAGUE

CHRIST

I HATE SHIT

God this fucking argument

Bo-Locks

It's going to take a several more shit years like this one before the PL loses its #1 status, which is not going to happen, so the haters can suck it. The overall quality of the league to me is defined by the competitivity, quality and depth. The mix feels good to me, and other leagues and styles just don't interest me as much. La Liga in particular puts me to sleep.

I do wish the PL had more of a fan-based community model like the Bundesliga, rather than the relentless march for mo money. The league is more stable due to the ownership rules, the stadia is great, the fans are looked after much better and this is borne out in the fantastic atmospheres.

Suen

Ok gimmie a min and ill send you a few pics you can edit :p

Edit: The fight for 4th in La Liga has been facinating this season, much like the EPL.
This is very true, it's going to be really exciting to see who gets the 4th spot and since the top two have pretty much secured their place it will be hard to predict who goes through. I would have loved to see Malaga but since they are banned (fuck that shit) for a year then I wouldn't mind Sociedad or Betis to go through. Both have been good this season. Valencia is a fucking mess, they need to get their shit together.

rodvik

BeIn sport* over here on cable calls La Liga the best league in the world in their ads so it must be true, they say it on tv and everything.

*coincidentally they own the rights to La Liga but not the EPL

G-Unit

Looking at it equivalent to equivalent, and on their absolute best form, I reckon:

1. Barca > Man Utd
4. Chelsea > Malaga
5. Arsenal > Sociedad
7. Valencia > Everton
8. West Brom > Rayo
9. Swansea > Getafe
10. Levante > Fulham
11. Stoke > Valladolid
12. Sevilla > West Ham
13. Newcastle > Espanyol
14. Bilbao > Norwich
15. Osasuna > Sunderland
17. Zaragoza > Villa
18. Wigan > Mallorca
19. Celta > Reading
20. QPR > Deportivo

That's 10-10, and two of them are Barca and Madrid which distort it a little because they're better than every other team

Now of course this is all opinion, but I don't think I'm far off. And it's the stupidest thing I've done in a while. But fuck it. Fuck this stupid conversation.

WTF dude, how can you know this. But w.e lets follow this game.. This is how I see it

1. Barca >>> Man Utd
2. Real Madrid >>> Man City
3. Atletico Madrid > Tottenham (not hard)
4. Chelsea < Malaga
5. Arsenal < Sociedad
6. Liverpool < Betis (hard one)
7. Valencia > Everton
8. West Brom > Rayo
9. Swansea >> Getafe
10. Levante > Fulham
11. Stoke = Valladolid
12. Sevilla >> West Ham
13. Newcastle = Espanyol
14. Bilbao >> Norwich
15. Osasuna > Sunderland
16. Southampton = Granada
17. Zaragoza > Villa
18. Wigan = Mallorca
19. Celta = Reading
20. QPR = Deportivo

BeIn sport* over here on cable calls La Liga the best league in the world in their ads so it must be true, they say it on tv and everything.

*coincidentally they own the rights to La Liga but not the EPL

Funny, Thats what Fox Sport LatinA does, just the other way around

Timurid

WTF dude, how can you know this. But w.e lets follow this game.. This is how I see it

1. Barca >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Man Utd
2. Real Madrid >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Man City
3. Atletico Madrid < Tottenham (not hard)
4. Chelsea < Malaga
5. Arsenal > Sociedad
6. Liverpool < Betis (hard one)
7. Valencia > Everton
8. West Brom > Rayo
9. Swansea >> Getafe
10. Levante > Fulham
11. Stoke = Valladolid
12. Sevilla >> West Ham
13. Newcastle = Espanyol
14. Bilbao >> Norwich
15. Osasuna > Sunderland
16. Southampton = Granada
17. Zaragoza > Villa
18. Wigan = Mallorca
19. Celta = Reading
20. QPR = Deportivo

Funny, Thats what Fox Sport LatinA does, just the other way around

Fixed.

FootballFan

1. Barca > Man Utd
4. Chelsea > Malaga
5. Arsenal > Sociedad
7. Valencia > Everton
8. West Brom > Rayo
9. Swansea > Getafe
10. Levante > Fulham
11. Stoke > Valladolid
12. Sevilla > West Ham
13. Newcastle > Espanyol
14. Bilbao > Norwich
15. Osasuna > Sunderland
17. Zaragoza > Villa
18. Wigan > Mallorca
19. Celta > Reading
20. QPR > Deportivo

Who cares about this crap lol.

It's as boring as Ronaldo vs Messi and Suarez racist talk.

Though what Frank the Great says is true, when EPL was getting 3 teams into the semi's you wouldn't hear the end of it. That was annoying as fuck lol.

Wilbur

Banned
What top form? say what?

I'm using that shit false equivalency league to judge both teams on their top form against each other. Chelsea playing as well as they possibly can are better than Malaga playing as well as they possibly can. Arsenal playing as well as they possibly can are certainly better than Sociedad playing as well as they possibly can.

Suen

Ligue 1 > Ibra's Nose > All other Leagues
This is very accurate, I almost agree on it, my minor changes are:

Zenit > Ligue 1 > Ibra's Nose > All other Leagues > Liverpool. Sviatoslav can confirm this.

Sviatoslav, hope you guys win tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom