• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT15| About as productive as Tika Taka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fry

He really should have chosen to become a ski professional, then he wouldn't fuck things up for everyone :(

i45ZmZnHUEXO.png

Blackhead

Redarse
I thought Bale was pretty quiet during the first half and that Arsenal handled him well. Vermaelen just felt like making the exact same mistake TWICE, while no one up front felt like scoring. The problem today wasn't the tactics, the problem is that the players simply aren't good enough.

I also think the decision to play him behind Adebayor in that free role was a mistake, even if he scored. He could have absolutely destroyed Jenkinson with his pace and skill and created a lot more from the wing, I think, especially against Arsenal's high line.
actually I wouldn't put all the blame on Vermalean, it's not like he was the only one playing Bale onside. The backline was clearly static with no cover from the midfield pressing the Spurs passers and that's a problem of tactics not personnel.

Also there was atleast one warning sign before the two goals when Bale just failed to reach a through ball yet the flag didn't go up. Arsenal's defense fell for the same trick more than twice

Surely ourselves and Tottenham show that you don't need Champions League football to attract quality players? (Tottenham moreso)

Vertonghen, Lloris and Suarez all left teams that qualify for the CL year-in, year-out to join teams that weren't in it.

Wilbur

Banned
We shouldn't be disputing Bale's world class status, but Tottenham's status as a team. I don't think they are very good as a whole.

They're third. Lennon scored today. Their defence were supposed to be very good. They have a top keeper.

One man team arguments are fucking stupid. Who says Bale could do half the shit he does without the team and the manager doing what they do? He's been given a role by his manager to utilise his skills, he has an extremely diligent midfield pairing behind him who clean up the ball, move into space he vacates and keep the compact midfield shape so that the counters they go on aren't dangerous if they lose the ball.

I really think the one man team arguments made about any team is stupid.

GolazoDan

Surely ourselves and Tottenham show that you don't need Champions League football to attract quality players? (Tottenham moreso)

Vertonghen, Lloris and Suarez all left teams that qualify for the CL year-in, year-out to join teams that weren't in it.
English league's dominance over the Dutch and French leagues confirmed.

#EMPIRE

Bale is still more talented than the Arsenal squad combined, they all looked clueless today, I expected Cazorla to do something but he was very quiet. Walcott went back to his usual self of doing a giant sod all.

Also why do people in here keep saying we have City away to play? We don't we play City AT HOME. We lost 2-1 away (iirc, Caulker scored)

Oh and the one man team thing is bullshit. Yes he is scoring a lot but only because the team are allowing him more space. Lloris kept us in the game against West Ham at 2-1. Every team needs one special player who can turn games, we've finally got one and now we're a one man team, lol. Bale didn't really do much for the first half of the season, played his part yes but not stand-out.

Lightning

Banned

Neither Liverpool nor Spurs nor us are anywhere near competing for the PL or mounting a serious challenge at any of the best trophies so yes CL is required to attract the best players.

Without CL you get passable players that the top clubs don't want, nothing more than that.

feel

Porto took down my 11 team accum with Valencia last night. I can forgive Porto but Valencia is now on the betting shit list. But Porto wtf happened? 0-0 seriously?

Porto fans, we are still bros
It was a Portuguese Classico and it was at their stadium. Despite going through a rough patch, Sporting is still one of Portugal's big teams and in an important match at their stadium they're tough.

Clegg

Stewart Gardner ‏@stewartgardner

Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir will take charge of #mufc v Real Madrid on Tuesday.

:/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom