• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT15| About as productive as Tika Taka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fry

How are Juve's defence?

I know their midfield rocks, and their strikers are their weak spot.

I'm scared of Pirlo and Vidal.

We never played against Chelsea. We trashed a probably much better Newcastle side 4-1 in 05, that I remember.

Edit: Oh, you won against Chelsea managed by Benitez. That´s like gloating that you won a chess match against a mentally challenged person.

I know, Conte is gonna wreck shit.

I don't know that they'll be hammered. It depends on Jesus resting players for the league or not. I hope he does, quite frankly. I'll gladly take the league over Europa.

we got Rio Ave, Olhanense and Paços inbetween Newcastle games, i think they're both doable honestly.

and Paços is for the Cup, we got a 2 goal advantage.

Wilbur

Banned
Some good draws.

- Malaga - Dortmund lacks the glamour but should be a really fun match. Dortmund.
- Madrid will probably scrape a win or draw away and then blitz Gala at home. Madrid
- Barca will have too much for PSG at home even if they lose away. Barca.
- holy shit gonna be awesome. I love you Juve but I fear this is the end. Bayern.

- Chelsea fixture list is the absolute BEST. Rubin.
- Toon gonna get cardozered. Benfica.
- Spurs will win at home and lose away. Spurs.
- Dirk Kuyt will prove to much for Lazio. Fener.

Some good draws.

- Malaga - Dortmund lacks the glamour but should be a really fun match. Dortmund.
- Madrid will probably scrape a win or draw away and then blitz Gala at home. Madrid
- Barca will have too much for PSG at home even if they lose away. Barca.
- holy shit gonna be awesome. I love you Juve but I fear this is the end. Bayern.

- Chelsea fixture list is the absolute BEST. Rubin.
- Toon gonna get cardozered. Benfica.
- Spurs will win at home and lose away. Spurs.
- Dirk Kuyt will prove to much for Lazio. Fener.

You think Chelsea will play a weakened side against Rubin due to their fixture congestion? How likely is that?

Damn Chelsea are going on a POST season tour to the States just 2 days after the season ends. Apparently players are pissed.

City going too.

That's insane.

sohois

How are Juve's defence?

I know their midfield rocks, and their strikers are their weak spot.

I'm scared of Pirlo and Vidal.

The weak point of Juve (strikers) aligns with the weak point of Bayern (central defence). In the midfield Schweinsteiger & Martinez are a match for whatever Juve can throw at you imo. Bayern are certainly the favourites for me.

Wes

venison crêpe
Malaga - Dortmund is probably the most interesting to me too although I favour Dortmund there.. In my ideal world one of those two would win it all.

You think Chelsea will play a weakened side against Rubin due to their fixture congestion? How likely is that?
I think Benitez will field a weaker team in the league. IMO all he cares about is winning the FA cup and EL and I reckon he could compromise Chelsea's league position in favour of those two comps. He's not staying on, just wants those medals.

rvy

Banned
we got Rio Ave, Olhanense and Paços inbetween Newcastle games, i think they're both doable honestly.

and Paços is for the Cup, we got a 2 goal advantage.

No easy games for the league from now on, I think. 2 points is not a big lead and we still have to go to Dragão. Porto almost never loses to us at Dragão.

I like how everyone else is so confident that Benfica will go through and I'm not. Football-GAF is weird, lol.

I think Benitez will field a weaker team in the league. IMO all he cares about is winning the FA cup and EL and I reckon he could compromise Chelsea's league position in favour of those two comps. He's not staying on, just wants those medals.

But the replay of the FA Cup game against United is right before the first leg against Rubin...something has to give.

Peco

The only game I wouldn't say that's interesting is Madrid - Gala. Why people are saying Malaga vs Dortmund is boring is fucking weird. Especially considering Malaga kerb stomped your team in the group LOL

shut up, i was laughing at the word 'neutral' not at the games per se.

But the replay of the FA Cup game against United is right before the first leg against Rubin...something has to give.
Hmm, this is true.

Well Ba can't play in the EL so Torres is defo in lol

I do think Rafa wants to win the comp though. May have to rotate a bit but in terms of his priority I reckon the PL might be 3rd on his list.

No easy games for the league from now on, I think. 2 points is not a big lead and we still have to go to Dragão. Porto almost never loses to us at Dragão.

I like how everyone else is so confident that Benfica will go through and I'm not. Football-GAF is weird, lol.

I think Football-GAF just likes to see Newcastle crash and burn. Kyoufu makes me want Benfica to win, this is a weird feeling for me.

Hmm, this is true.

Well Ba can't play in the EL so Torres is defo in lol

I do think Rafa wants to win the comp though. May have to rotate a bit but in terms of his priority I reckon the PL might be 3rd on his list.

It doesn't matter, Chelsea isn't getting past Rubin anyway. Rubin>Atletico>Chelsea. FACT.

Wilbur

Banned

Very likely. They'd rather win the FA Cup and qualify for the top 4 over the EL, so with us on the 1st, Rubin on the 4th and Spurs on the 7th, they'll rest players versus Rubin.

Suen

The only game I wouldn't say that's interesting is Madrid - Gala. Why people are saying Malaga vs Dortmund is boring is fucking weird. Especially considering Malaga kerb stomped your team in the group LOL
Don't get it either, it should be pretty interesting. Would have loved to watch it if Madrid weren't playing. GO MALAGA!!!!

Wilbur

Banned
Guardian just made a nice little point

Woe! There are no English clubs in the last eight of the Champions League. Wah! What does it all mean? Answer: nothing. Manchester United and Arsenal were handed tricky draws, and even then, had things gone but slightly differently, both would be in the quarter-finals and the narrative would be different – yet they'd be identical teams to those that they are. Before the season started, it would have been fair to speculate that all four English qualifiers were superior to Galatasaray, PSG and Málaga, and lunacy not to recognise that all were inferior to Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund – and no vagary of cup football was likely to alter that, in the same way that Chelsea winning the competition last season taught nothing beyond the bare facts of what happened. So, this weekend's games should be enjoyed in that context; the Premier League's best sides, though less good than the current elite, are still good and also getting better, failing because of specific individual shortcomings not some league-wide malaise.

Fuck the haters, no one expected United or Arsenal to go through and one was heading through before a red card and the other drew on aggregate to supposed perfect Bavarian sex lords. No shame in that.

Newcastle will get decimated though.

Hixx

Ben Arfa may be out for season

im-ok-with-this.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom