• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT15| About as productive as Tika Taka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

Yes we were shitting ourselves with the one and half chances you created during the match. You prodded and probed gamely but never seriously tested Lloris or created a golden chance. I don't remember Walcott doing a single thing.

We should have scored at least 4 today. The miss from Gylfi was horrendous, Bale missed a tap-in as well. Arsenal didn't have a single chance as good as the ones we missed, never mind the ones we scored.

You can thank Giroud/Walcott/Ramsey for that.

Linius

the suitcase!

omg.

bgsbLaM.png

It seems that's correct.

I can expect more awesomeness than in the average Mad Men episode?

Keio

For a Finer World
As a true Ajax fan I made a gif out of it for this thread but sadly no one said nice things about that goal :(

ibxIBADXtjDlWJ.gif
DANK U!

That is a great gif too - and a great shot.

I hope Moisander becomes more consistent. Then he will be immense for us. Already tempted to call him Moisenbauer because his passing has been excellent.

FootballFan

I suppose.

You will not get an angry response out of me over Barca.

Don't worry brah, we will be back! As long as we keep Iniesta and Messi, this team will always remain competitive.

The problems are obvious so it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Sanchez and Villa out, buy a new goalkeeper, 2 new defenders, promote Deulofeu instead of paying 60m for Neymar, Abidal and Tito back and fit, no more Iniesta on the wing, Xavi teach Thiago/Cesc how to pass the ball and control a game.

If all that happens, then treble is 120% secured for next season.

Linius

DANK U!

That is a great gif too - and a great shot.

I hope Moisander becomes more consistent. Then he will be immense for us. Already tempted to call him Moisenbauer because his passing has been excellent.

He really should indeed. Took the time to make you this gif to show his bad side...

iguYDD3lsYzo7.gif

It's running a bit fast, but you get the point :p

Now I'm really of watching Mad Men.

Lloris = De Gea > Cech

You have been infected by the silly United GAF cumming in their pants over every unnecessary acrobatic save De Gea makes that Lloric, Cech and probably more would have saved without trying to re create something you would see at a circus. Dude got some fantastic reflex saves but don't forget Cechs qualities, he might just take 3 pens from you again next season. ;)

At least we can all agree and laugh at the City supporters thinking Hart was the best keeper in the league.

Tc91

Well Sol Campbell now know's he's a shit pundit.

All he could say about Walcott was "Here he is making a good run no one picks him out" "Another good run but no one picks him out" "Wilshere doesn't pick him out here" "On the the the the half turn but doesn't get picked out"

FootballFan

You have been infected by the silly United GAF cumming in their pants over every unnecessary acrobatic save De Gea makes that Lloric, Cech and probably more would have saved without trying to re create something you would see at a circus. Dude got some fantastic reflex saves but don't forget Cechs qualities, he might just take 3 pens from you again next season. ;)

At least we can all agree and laugh at the City supporters thinking Hart was the best keeper in the league.

im3evA0GpLYq.gif

^^ What he said

Timurid

brofistcover.jpg

Tc91

dealwithdegeaf0kvl.gif

arkon

God damn.

Fry

Hart went from the best in england and FOR england to an above average keeper.

I won't fully disagree with you about De Gea, but I do really think he's quality and will probably be Spain's #1 in the upcoming years.

Wilbur

Banned
I can't wait to see if De Gea can preform again against Madrid. A lot of pressure on his shoulders on tuesday.

Yeah. It won't be his fault if we lose though; think we'll just want to play the Man Utd at Old Trafford way and get fucked on the counter.

2-2 or 1-2 I think :(

IN HAPPIER NEWS - AVB LOVE

Even amid the battle fog of a north London derby, as Spurs clung on
towards the end, André Villas-Boas was able to exchange the occasional
joke with his bench. The contrast with his final days at Stamford Bridge, when his features were as sunken as Chelsea's Premier League position, is stark. When the axe came, exactly a year ago on Monday, it was almost an act of mercy.

Sure, there was sympathy. There usually is for Roman Abramovich's discarded whims. Being Chelsea manager is like playing Pac-Man: you know the ghosts will catch you in the end, no matter how many points you collect. But when the game-over sign flashed after 256 days, Villas-Boas left with dangling questions about his management style.

What is striking at Spurs is not just that those questions have been answered, but how quickly they have been forgotten. Remember how Villas-Boas was hammered for playing a high defensive line to the point of obstinacy, even when it was obvious that John Terry's legs whirred at 33rpm in a 78rpm world? And the whispers that he lacked emotional intelligence, for failing to understand that egos need massaging not treating with coarse sandpaper?

We are watching a different man now. Chelsea should consider how much of that is down to Villas-Boas – and how much can be explained by a new environment. Look at the way Gareth Bale hugged him and his team-mates after his winning goal at West Ham. And then remember how he was mocked at Chelsea for suggesting his players celebrate together.

The decision to allow Hugo Lloris time to bed in could have proved tricky, especially with the France manager Didier Deschamps heckling from across the Channel, but Villas-Boas handled it well, sticking with Brad Friedel initially and waiting for Lloris to adjust before making the switch. Meanwhile, the reintegration of Michael Dawson and Tom Huddlestone shows a willingness to admit he was wrong that few peers possess.

Villas-Boas often deflects questions about himself, insisting that it is the group that matters. Ultimately it is. But the manager creates the mood music. On Tottenham's pre-season tour to the United States he encouraged staff and players to dine together, and even paid for a slap-up meal from his own admittedly deep pockets (something he repeated before Christmas). When Spurs beat Southampton he picked up the tab after his players threw their shirts into the crowd.

The happy environment extends to the training pitch. Gary Mabbutt, who has known times good and bad at Spurs, was struck with how happy everyone was when he visited the club recently. He sensed that people wanted to work for Villas-Boas, who knows the names of all the staff and makes it clear he appreciates what they do, whatever their position.

The assistant head coach, Steffen Freund, has also proved a smart acquisition, not just for his insight but also for his unrelenting enthusiasm, even when the rain is coming down sideways. And then there is the nitty-gritty of training and tactics. Villas-Boas plans every training session weeks in advance. There are no long runs or heavy weights; on the pitch everything is done with the ball. And there is a vigorous injury-prevention strategy in place to try to limit the number of players lost to non-impact issues.

There is fun but there is flexibility, too. One former player told me that the squad always get the day off after a game but following their dramatic victory over West Ham, Villas-Boas realised that everyone was buzzing and let them take it easy on Wednesday, too.

Data and videotape are also scrunched and crunched, and adjustments made: when Spurs developed a habit of conceding late goals Villas-Boas thought they were losing focus so he made the last part of training the most intense. It worked. He has also tried 4-4-2, with mixed results, for the first time in his career.

All things considered, Villas-Boas probably deserves more credit than he has received. Especially given the 2-1 victory against Arsenal extended Spurs' unbeaten league games to 12 – their longest ever in the Premier League.

Of course, things are not perfect. If they were, Spurs would be eyeing the title not the Champions League places. And while they are better organised under Villas-Boas, rigidity sometimes trumps fluidity. That is not a surprise: losing Luka Modric and Rafael van der Vaart, both excellent one-touch passers, meant the engine room lost some of its grease and groove.

And while Mousa Dembélé has been excellent, he, along with most of Spurs' midfield, like to take their opponents on. Rarely do they receive and release immediately. The signing of Lewis Holtby, a keen recycler, should continue to add variety to their attacks.

Off the field, chairman and manager are at last pulling in the same direction. Villas-Boas wanted João Moutinho and surely craves a 25-goals-a-season striker. But negotiations are done in the boardroom, not through his media mates. He also takes a deep interest in the youth teams, a subject that was far from Harry Redknapp's heart. Even in these early days there is a sense that Villas-Boas is planning for long-term.

Compare that with Chelsea, a club who would make Buddha twitchy. At White Hart Lane, the funds may not always be available but at least Villas-Boas has less reason to fear of the knock at the door, or the knife in the back.

I won't fully disagree with you about De Gea, but I do really think he's quality and will probably be Spain's #1 in the upcoming years.

That seems most likely yeah, but still a lot of good years left in Casillas and you never know what today unknown players will have blossomed by then to compete with De Gea. Hart was never the best in Premier League though, he's still probably the best English keeper though but that says a lot more about Englands problem in there than Harts standard.

U just jealous that shit Copenhagen keeper can't pull the shit De GOAT does

He mad more great saves against Barca two years back than De Gea against Madrid. ;)

But De Gea is a great keeper and he does make some fantastic saves, no doubt about it. But the collective ejaculations when he makes something as dumb as that foot clearance against Madrid is just hilarious, most other keepers playing at big clubs would have taken that with their hands.

Let's just agree none of these keepers would have the balls to do this in a CL final:

[IMG']http://i.minus.com/iGr2ihcpeN58p.gif[/IMG]

go home peasants

Someone had to step up when Robben pussied out lol.

I'm not going to pretend I watch nearly enough German football to know about how well he is doing though, he's certainly a real character.

Fry

Someone had to step up when Robben pussied out lol.

I'm not going to pretend I watch nearly enough German football to know about how well he is doing though, he's certainly a real character.

He truly is awesome. I love Neuer.

iiQ1mQR7XCchD.gif

This is my favorite save of the season.

No but I should. I'm terrible at watching TV shows, I usually wait a couple seasons and then just speed through them on Netflix or DVD

Yeah, you should. SO MANY hot women on that show. And they're all naked.

Plus... it's awesome.

Randdalf

Yeah. It won't be his fault if we lose though; think we'll just want to play the Man Utd at Old Trafford way and get fucked on the counter.

2-2 or 1-2 I think :(

IN HAPPIER NEWS - AVB LOVE

A heart warming read. I don't think anybody except the staunchest of Arsenal fans wish ill on him after how he was treated at Chelsea. Hopefully he'll get the chance to take Tottenham to bigger and better things before bigger clubs inevitably try to poach him again.

FootballFan

A heart warming read. I don't think anybody except the staunchest Arsenal fans wish ill on him after how he was treated at Chelsea. Hopefully he'll get the chance to take Tottenham to bigger and better things before bigger clubs inevitably try to poach him again.

Barca interim manager until pep returns.

Salvadora

A heart warming read. I don't think anybody except the staunchest of Arsenal fans wish ill on him after how he was treated at Chelsea. Hopefully he'll get the chance to take Tottenham to bigger and better things before bigger clubs inevitably try to poach him again.
I really love him. I just wish he would do well whilst finishing below us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom