• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT15| About as productive as Tika Taka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

Banned
Sometimes I just forget Lightning is a Dutchy. All that Arsenal talk, go support a Dutch club and post in Dutch Gaf so I don't forget dude :p
Yeah I support Arsenal so much that I sometimes just solely focus on that and only show my Dutch side when the national team is playing. I'll see about next season but man the Euros...

Lol, the Euros 2008 were a disaster. We were destined for greater things. Never got over that loss :(
That was a heartbreaking defeat that. The Spain defeat hurt more though... It would have been the crowning moment in our history only for us to turn into a team of thugs and throw it away. Fuck I was angry with Robeen after that match, selfish bastard.

Linius

Yeah I support Arsenal so much that I sometimes just solely focus on that and only show my Dutch side when the national team is playing. I'll see about next season but man the Euros...

We'll be back at the next WC. Things are looking up for us.

That was a heartbreaking defeat that. The Spain defeat hurt more though... It would have been the crowning moment in our history only for us to turn into a team of thugs and throw it away. Fuck I was angry with Robeen after that match, selfish bastard.

Yeah, Spain was worse. Would have been great to see us win the damn tournament finally in our third finale in my still young life. But it wasn't the time for us I guess :(

Somebody avatarize Pirlo face for me. Please.

This is true. I just think Russia sucked more.

ibersXWpy7kvlI.png

Clegg

Listening the the Cinema Paradiso soundtrack.

Morricone soundtracks make films 10x better.

Fuck, even if a movie was given terrible reviews I'd still go to it if Morricone did the music.

Meier

So Obafemi Martins has gone to Seattle Sounders. Normal.

Wow! Good for them, that's a pretty big move -- surely $4m is the highest transfer fee ever paid by an MLS club. Hope to see more guys who were big name players and still relatively young (well, at least in his published age) move to the MLS.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
What is this talk about him not being 28? Not that I care either way since I'm not a Sounders fan. I just haven't seen any proof about it besides Sviatoslav saying it multiple times.

Listening the the Cinema Paradiso soundtrack.

Morricone soundtracks make films 10x better.

Fuck, even if a movie was given terrible reviews I'd still go to it if Morricone did the music.

Not heard that one, but Once Upon A Time In America is one of the most beautiful soundtracks I've ever heard. Amazing film too.

MLS is a fucking disaster. Christian Tiffert was "fired" by Seattle because he was one of the big earners and they weren't able to sign Obafemi Martins with Tiffert still at the club. Tiffert didn't know shit about it and only found out while casually browsing the internet. They didn't tell him a single word about it but payed him the money he would have earned for the rest of his contract.

What is this talk about him not being 28? Not that I care either way since I'm not a Sounders fan. I just haven't seen any proof about it besides Sviatoslav saying it multiple times.

My word isn't enough these days? Look what the world has come to.

Amongst other things his birth date on the nigerian football association website was listed as being 1/5/1978. Or you could just look at pictures of him when he was supposedly 20.

There is a culture of Africans giving fake ages when migrating to Europe, not just footballers. Officially, Obafemi Martins is only 31, and Kanu 36, yet if anyone has seen photos of these guys - especially several years ago - it is immediately obvious they were older than they claimed to be. It's an open secret to us Africans. I think the Guardian once wrote a piece on it

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/21/nigerian-football-age-old-problem

Edit:

Wait, Martins lists himself as being 28? ROTFL

Lightning

Banned
MLS is a fucking disaster. Christian Tiffert was "fired" by Seattle because he was one of the big earners and they weren't able to sign Obafemi Martins with Tiffert still at the club. Tiffert didn't know shit about it and only found out while casually browsing the internet. They didn't tell him a single word about it but payed him the money he would have earned for the rest of his contract.
The fuck? They can do that? That is so incredibly disrespectful and unprofessional it's not even funny.

Carbonox

I still maintain that I've never seen a faster player in my life than Martins, even if he's 40 years old. Some of his goals for Newcastle were drool-worthy.

Speaking of MLS, remember when Freddy Adu was hyped as the next biggest superstar? Whatever happened to him...

Seydou Doumbia certainly doesn't look 25.

This. No chance in hell.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I still maintain that I've never seen a faster player in my life than Martins, even if he's 40 years old. Some of his goals for Newcastle were drool-worthy.

Speaking of MLS, remember when Freddy Adu was hyped as the next biggest superstar? Whatever happened to him...

This. No chance in hell.

He came back to MLS and was overpaid and didn't perform. Now his team won't play him and wanted him to take a huge paycut. He isn't in their plans at all. Apparently he has suitors in Korea and Brazil.

The fuck? They can do that? That is so incredibly disrespectful and unprofessional it's not even funny.

Well, I have no idea but I don't think that is legally effective without the player's consent. But after having read Seattle's plan, I guess Tiffert did what every sane man would do: take the money, leave that shit hole and sign for some club in Europe in summer.

Edit: Just found some additional source, indeed, Seattle terminated the contract without his consent by paying the rest of the contract and without giving an explanation to either the player or his agent. Tiffert's agent is now trying to get an additional compensation payment.

Fuck MLS

Meier

Well, any club can do that anywhere. You can either come to a mutual agreement and buy out a player's contract at a lowered numbet or you can pay him what is due over the course of the contract. It's the same as a coach. In American football, it's usually only a small percentage that is guaranteed and the rest is year by year. You can be released without any compensation past whatever has been agreed upon as guaranteed.

But the bigger picture is that the MLS has designated player slots that are limited. They can only pay a very small wage unless they use one of the DP slots. I imagine this Tiffert guy was a DP and they needed one open to sign Martins.

Noirulus

So I just caught the quarterfinal draw. Can't say I'm disappointed at all. Galatasaray is probably the weakest or second weakest team on paper and I'm happy that Madrid drew them.

Still, Gala are no minnows and could shock us. I don't doubt Mourinho, but he needs to plan/employ his tactics just as seriously as he does against United/Barca or any other strong team. Madrid have faced weak teams and lost/drew many times this season, so Gala could easily blow us out of the quarters if they come sufficiently prepared.

Juve - Bayern is the highlight draw. I don't really follow Italian teams, but I did catch that Celtic - Juve CL game where Juve looked very strong. This match-up is the most unpredictable and exciting one from an unbiased perspective.

#ForzaJuve #FuckBayern

Malaga - Dortmund is sure to provide some flashy, offensive football. Good match-up for neutrals. Dortmund are probably the favorites, but Malaga aren't far behind.

PSG - Barca - Lol, I feel sorry for Ibra. Not only is he facing Barca again in the quarters, but he won't be able to play the first leg lawl. PSG's got a strong squad, but I really doubt they'll be able to beat an in-form Barca. Especially at Camp Nou. However, I do wish PSG all the best and may luck be at their side. Allez PSG.

Meier

Another interesting aspect of American sports is that a player can be traded without having any knowledge of it and his existing contract is simply transferred to the new team. Some guys can get a no-trade clause but you only see that in someone who is one of the absolute best of the best and has been a star for a long time (a decade or so).

feel

Welcome, Letters.
You last visited: Today at 05:03 PM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 1024.

Fuck you freewheelin and wilbury

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like that is the case according to sazabi. I just read his wiki entry to see the $4m figure and it didn't include that info.

That is a steal if the Sounders didn't have to pay anything. Tiffert had to go I'm assuming because of the cap space he took up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom