• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT15| About as productive as Tika Taka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

Banned
Is it better to win the Europa or get knocked out in the Round of 16 in the CL?
Get knocked out round 16 of the CL!

In the CL you're measured against the best of the best, in the Europa you're measured against the best of the rest which is quite a drop.

GorillaJu

LTTP

MGS 2 is still my favourite. (mostly gameplay-wise)

I have a love-hate relationship with the series. I hated the absurd story and crawling from one spot to another but absolutely loved the epic boss fights!

Raiden>Snake

-

Too risky, Conte.

I don't see why you'd hate the story in MGS2. It's meant to be absurd. It's meant to highlight the exaggerations of Hollywood stories and make you question the relationship of player and character, the value and meaning of character backgrounds. A stolen nuke, a giant aquatic mech crashing into NYC, etc.

It's kind of like a Thomas Pynchon novel – the story is pulpy and crazy, the characters all have silly names that throw the value of naming conventions into question, and what you take away isn't that the story was sweet, but it's still compelling and there's a lot to digest.

Yes.

What's better. Challenging and losing to Bayern Munich and clubs of such quality or playing against all the teams that never measured up?

Winning a trophy. Your brain has been clouded by the persistent notion of trophies being an expendable afterthought in the wake of CL qualification

dc89

Yes.

What's better. Challenging and losing to Bayern Munich and clubs of such quality or playing against all the teams that never measured up?

I wouldn't pull that one as an Arsenal fan because you'll be playing "teams that never measured up" next season at this rate.

Europa league can produce some really great matches. Don't knock it till you've tried it. ;)

Lightning

Banned
Winning a trophy. Your brain has been clouded by the persistent notion of trophies being an expendable afterthought in the wake of CL qualification
No it hasn't. The thing is a side like Arsenal should have a squad capable of doing both but CL qualification should take priority. Spurs can win the Europa league but haven't got a hope or prayer of winning the CL no matter what they do in the summer so by your reasoning they should want to finish 5th so they can try win another trophy?

No it hasn't. The thing is a side like Arsenal should have a squad capable of doing both but CL qualification should take priority. Spurs can win the Europa league but haven't got a hope or prayer of winning the CL no matter what they do in the summer so by your reasoning they should want to finish 5th so they can try win another trophy?

That wasn't the question :s

If the question was 'would you rather get as far as you can in the CL, or win the Europa League?' you'd have a point. It wasn't though, so you don't.

Lightning

Banned
I wouldn't pull that one as an Arsenal fan because you'll be playing "teams that never measured up" next season at this rate.

Europa league can produce some really great matches. Don't knock it till you've tried it. ;)
Err this is like having lovely steak for dinner and being told not go knock tomato soup until you've tried it...

qindarka

Banned

Not like Arsenal consistently challenge for the CL. Their record is actually pretty pathetic for a club that has qualified however many times in a row. One final and one other semi final isn't exactly awe inspiring.

Lightning

Banned
Not like Arsenal consistently challenge for the CL. Their record is actually pretty pathetic for a club that has qualified 16 times in a row. One final and one other semi final isn't exactly awe inspiring.
No it's not. It's very disappointing and our biggest disappointment under Wenger but you have to be in it to have a shot at getting further in it.

Noirulus

I really hope Bale calms down a bit. I'm dreading the inevitable 70M bid in the summer from Florentino if Bale continues his tremendous form.

Err this is like having lovely steak for dinner and being told not go knock tomato soup until you've tried it...

To take that metaphor further

Arsenal are starving, withering away year on year

You've been given a choice between

A) A nutritious bowl of soup and side of fresh-baked bread, enough to nourish you for 5 years
B) A single egg of caviar, which you will have forgotten about within an hour

And you'd go for the caviar

Of course not, who would we bring in anyway?

The Fixer

Rafa-Benitez.jpg

There's no chance Wenger will be gone before the end of the season, unless its by his own accord

Lightning

Banned
Of course not, who would we bring in anyway?
Whats your thoughts on the Europa league or the thought of us being lumped in it?

And I honestly can't see Wenger going before the end of next season at the earliest and when he goes we better be in the CL.

I really hope Bale calms down a bit. I'm dreading the inevitable 70M bid in the summer from Florentino if Bale continues his tremendous form.
If Spurs make the CL it will take a mega bid to get him.

Lunchbox

Banned
The Fixer

Rafa-Benitez.jpg

There's no chance Wenger will be gone before the end of the season, unless its by his own accord

man that would be my dream

if the fat fuck joined Arsenal, he would complete the trifecta of leaving behind liverpool, chelsea AND arsenal as complete non threat midtable fodders.

inter would just be a bonus

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I don't see why you'd hate the story in MGS2. It's meant to be absurd. It's meant to highlight the exaggerations of Hollywood stories and make you question the relationship of player and character, the value and meaning of character backgrounds. A stolen nuke, a giant aquatic mech crashing into NYC, etc.

It's kind of like a Thomas Pynchon novel – the story is pulpy and crazy, the characters all have silly names that throw the value of naming conventions into question, and what you take away isn't that the story was sweet, but it's still compelling and there's a lot to digest.
MGS-GAF genuinely considers the story 'Oscar worthy'. And that MGR ruined a brilliantly woven plot.

FootballFan

The worst part is saying 'shook the world' about yourself. That's the kind of overly romantic, melodramatic, doe-eyed sentimentality that should be reserved for eulogies and overlong RAWK posts. Saying it about yourself is wierd, the kind of shite Dennis Reynolds would come up with

He hasn't even begun to peek yet.
Peak I mean. What an error. Punish me bud, punish me.

ShogunX

Yes.

As a fan? Winning the Europa League is much better than getting knocked out of the Champions league because you too are a team that hasn't measured up for a number of years.

It's about time Arsenal as a club and it's fans stop the stupid fucking notion that finishing in the top four is enough season after season. Top football clubs exist to win trophies, not to earn the right to be shit on by Europe's best. This all being said - Arsenal aren't good enough to win the Europa league anyway.

dc89

Can%20joe%20multi%20task%20Film%20with%20his%20headcam%20and%20save%20goals.ashx

Yes. That's a camera on his head, yes there will be videos from his view point in training. Exclusively on the worlds greatest website.

New%20training%20methods%20appear%20to%20be%20working%20well%20jack%20had%20a%20great%20game%20v%20Chelsea.ashx

-.- better not be injured after that.

Creepy-Milan time: today, Bryan Cristante (one of the best players in our youth squad) signed his first contract until 2018. This is the cake that Milan made to celebrate him:
I'll have a few nightmares tonight.

dc89

Phil Jones is not training with the United team, still injured I guess. Evans is doing some jogging away from the main group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom