• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT15| About as productive as Tika Taka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
How awesome is Klopp? So awesome. Love his football philosophy. "We want to win, but if we lose playing our way, that's okay." Not sure how that would fly in Italy or in those few top clubs where you're always expected to win the league / CL. Hope he stays with Dortmund for a long time, but it would be fascinating seeing him at, say, Chelsea.
Conte will go to Chelsea and Klopp to Juve.

Though based on that video and his English, I'd say he's the one going to Chelsea. Conte will follow Capello's steps and go to Madrid.

And then we'll end up with Ciro Ferrara. I hear he's available.

Messi

How Barça will play against us, according to Sport:

Niang, El Shaa and Bojan will love that defense. Zapata and Mexes will probably hate everything Barcelona-related after the match.

Also, lol @ Abbiatti.

tumblr_mdfhznslOX1ql2603o1_250.gif

No...I can't watch. its too much pressure. Please make it Tello not Alexis.

jtb

Banned
Mertesacker's really not that bad of a defender. He's just fucking slow.

How awesome is Klopp? So awesome. Love his football philosophy. "We want to win, but if we lose playing our way, that's okay." Not sure how that would fly in Italy or in those few top clubs where you're always expected to win the league / CL. Hope he stays with Dortmund for a long time, but it would be fascinating seeing him at, say, Chelsea.

Winning doesn't matter? Sounds like a ready-made Wenger replacement to me!

--

Also, fuck the Europa League. What a shitty, shitty tournament. Obviously, if we're in it next year (as we almost certainly will, unless we fuck up even further), I want to get past the Round of 32 so I can cry myself to sleep knowing that, "well, at least we're better than Liverpool!" But this whole thing of it being the tournament for the losers of Europe; it's pathetic. Why on earth you should be "rewarded" for 3rd place in the CL group stage (or even finishing out of the top 4) with an extra tournament is beyond me. And your reward is a derailing of the league campaign with fixture congestion, ridiculously long trips, and zero money.

Just go back to the cup-winners or at least give the winner a CL spot.

bjaelke

Why on earth you should be "rewarded" for 3rd place in the CL group stage (or even finishing out of the top 4) with an extra tournament is beyond me.

Really? We're talking about UEFA after all. Should be quite obvious why they're doing it.

Gambit

that's the genius of Klopp. He hides his incredibe ambition better than all the others and maintains this narrative of him only doing it for fun and the spectacle.

This public persona has been getting less and less believable however when you watch him during and immediately after matches. When things don't go his way, not once has he actually given the impression that "That's okay".

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Mertesacker's really not that bad of a defender. He's just fucking slow.

He is, though. It's not just his lack of pace, he is totally silent. No organisation with those around him. The worst defenders are those who do not communicate, even the most limited players can defend rudimentary situations if they move together as a unit.

Meier

http://i.imgur.com/Ns5L1Mql.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oHUKCYKl.jpg[IMG]

The 3DS my GF was sent by the PR company. :( So much nicer than my launch Aqua model. :( fml.[/QUOTE]
I have a launch day aqua as well. My fiancée is finally going to get a 3DS in June when AC launches. I don't think I'll be able to avoid upgrading when seeing hers.

Linius

That feel when you get relegated in FIFA seasons because you came one point short.

Needed a win against Dortmund in the last game but I drawed 1-1. Galatasaray is a great side to play with now they have Sneijder and Drogba btw :D

Wilbur

Banned
Also, fuck the Europa League. What a shitty, shitty tournament. Obviously, if we're in it next year (as we almost certainly will, unless we fuck up even further), I want to get past the Round of 32 so I can cry myself to sleep knowing that, "well, at least we're better than Liverpool!" But this whole thing of it being the tournament for the losers of Europe; it's pathetic. Why on earth you should be "rewarded" for 3rd place in the CL group stage (or even finishing out of the top 4) with an extra tournament is beyond me. And your reward is a derailing of the league campaign with fixture congestion, ridiculously long trips, and zero money.

Just go back to the cup-winners or at least give the winner a CL spot.

And yet it's still a trophy that the likes of Porto and Atletico Madrid - teams which Arsenal fans are on the level of at the very most - have shown great pride in winning. It then gives you a chance at another trophy in the Super Cup, giving you a chance at two trophies in two/three months in order to instil a winning mentality in your team and prepare them for harder European matches to come. And now look at Atletico, second in the league. Look at Porto, looking favourites for the quarters of the CL and unbeaten in the league.

The notion that Arsenal fans would turn down any chance of silverware - the Community Shield, the League Cup, the Europa League is fucking disgusting to me for two reasons.

A) it implies that they think they're better than that. When teams like Bradford and Swansea are going all out to win trophies like the League Cup because its their only realistic chance of medals, for Arsenal fans to think themselves too good for the Europa League - certainly bigger than England's league cup in terms of prestige - is ludicrous. Because it is one of only two real chances at a trophy.

B) that after 8 years without a trophy and crowing at the board, Lightning would rather try and have the best of both worlds like some selfish fuck; turn down the chance at actually winning a trophy and qualify for the CL all the while moaning about never winning trophies and not having the quality to win the CL. Why would you actively choose getting tonked by better teams just to take part in the CL over actually winning something? It's fucking ludicrous from any club. Coming from Arsenal, it's even funnier.

dc89

Bet your way into one, sure thing. May I suggest you put down money on a United win. Please and thank you.

Well... I've grown £10 into £50 this weekend thanks to Suarez, Bale, Bayern Munich & La Galaxy. And tomorrow... FREE MONEY thanks to Bet 365.

I have a launch day aqua as well. My fiancée is finally going to get a 3DS in June when AC launches. I don't think I'll be able to avoid upgrading when seeing hers.

Yeah, I always hold an affinity to my launch day products as theres nothing like getting something new and shiny but this XL... damn it's really nice to hold and although I see complaints of it looking a little Fisher Price, it certainly feels nice and weighty.

Think I'm going to get one when Pokemon X/Y comes out.

it_prints_money.gif

---

The worst rapper? The worst rapper.

58856_o.gif

Wilbur

Banned
Fergie's ruled Jones out. I think we're going to see:

De Gea
Rafael - Ferdinand - Evans - Evra
Cleverley - Carrick - Kagawa
Welbeck - van Persie - Rooney

Nani/Young maybe instead of Welbeck and Giggs instead of Kagawa.

So light defensively though, fuck. Ron Ron gon' have a field day. Clev or Shinji can't do a job defensively, Ozil's gonna have all the space in the world.

We're going to lose.

jtb

Banned
And yet it's still a trophy that the likes of Porto and Atletico Madrid - teams which Arsenal fans are on the level of at the very most - have shown great pride in winning. It then gives you a chance at another trophy in the Super Cup, giving you a chance at two trophies in two/three months in order to instil a winning mentality in your team and prepare them for harder European matches to come. And now look at Atletico, second in the league. Look at Porto, looking favourites for the quarters of the CL and unbeaten in the league.

The notion that Arsenal fans would turn down any chance of silverware - the Community Shield, the League Cup, the Europa League is fucking disgusting to me for two reasons.

A) it implies that they think they're better than that. When teams like Bradford and Swansea are going all out to win trophies like the League Cup because its their only realistic chance of medals, for Arsenal fans to think themselves too good for the Europa League - certainly bigger than England's league cup in terms of prestige - is ludicrous. Because it is one of only two real chances at a trophy.

B) that after 8 years without a trophy and crowing at the board, Lightning would rather try and have the best of both worlds like some selfish fuck; turn down the chance at actually winning a trophy and qualify for the CL all the while moaning about never winning trophies and not having the quality to win the CL. Why would you actively choose getting tonked by better teams just to take part in the CL over actually winning something? It's fucking ludicrous from any club. Coming from Arsenal, it's even funnier.

Porto and Atletico Madrid can afford to win the Europa League because they know their league campaigns are utterly meaningless. Surely it's no coincidence that the recent winners of the Europa League have all come from ridiculously unbalanced leagues; the moment Atletico realized they had a chance in the league, they crashed out in the last 32.

I'd love to make a run in the Europa League, I think Wenger has forgotten (or perhaps never knew) how to win in Europe. But it would undoubtedly come at the cost of the league campaign. Arsenal's squad barely manages handling one game a week, playing on Thursday nights and Wenger's inability to rotate will cripple this team, I am sure of that. So if it's a choice between crashing out of the Europa League early and going for a chance at being in the CL, or putting all your eggs in the Europa League basket, then... well, I'd put my eggs in the top 4 basket. The only reason good thing about the Europa League that might actually give us a decent shot at winning is the fact that they're two legged ties—so the likelihood of getting one-off results against minnows is lessened.

But it's a chance at winning, nothing more. It's opportunity cost, and goes back to the age old question of top 4 vs. trophies/winning mentality. If the squad will be strengthened in the summer for a Europa League run, even with 20m less TV revenue, then absolutely, let's make a go at the Europa League. At the very least, it'll be good to give the youngsters and fringe players a chance. But I don't think that's going to happen.

And for what it's worth, I think all this talk of Arsenal's "mental fragility" and "need to win a trophy" is really overblown. It's always been a lack of squad depth, so players are exhausted by February/March, coupled with Wenger's refusal to rotate or practice corners. The problem isn't eight trophyless years, that's just a symptom of the bigger problem: the squad isn't good enough.

Fergie's ruled Jones out. I think we're going to see:

De Gea
Rafael - Ferdinand - Evans - Evra
Cleverley - Carrick - Kagawa
Welbeck - van Persie - Rooney

Nani/Young maybe instead of Welbeck and Giggs instead of Kagawa.

So light defensively though, fuck. Ron Ron gon' have a field day. Clev or Shinji can't do a job defensively, Ozil's gonna have all the space in the world.

We're going to lose.
Everything Fergie is saying in the presser right now basically suggests he doesn't give a shit about the defence.

Wilbur

Banned
Everything Fergie is saying in the presser right now basically suggests he doesn't give a shit about the defence.

/life

God, please don't be so naive Fergus. Please. You've just watched them destroy Barca twice by playing on the counter.

Ugh we're going to lose. I know it. I can just feel it in my bones.

D_prOdigy

I think Fergie desperately wants us to be like the gung-ho, look how many we can score CL team of 98/99. Problem is a 3-3 like against Barca (both times) would knock us out ;_;

that's the genius of Klopp. He hides his incredibe ambition better than all the others and maintains this narrative of him only doing it for fun and the spectacle.

This public persona has been getting less and less believable however when you watch him during and immediately after matches. When things don't go his way, not once has he actually given the impression that "That's okay".
Klopp says that it's okay "if we lose playing our way". That's the point. The team has developed to the point that when we're playing our way, it's very hard to win against us. This season, we've lost more than a few games where either the ref was complete shit (fuck off Stark) or we simply didn't play our way. Thus, Klopp was pissed/angry a bit more often than in the last few seasons.

A lot less ridiculous than Klopp's "You're like Chinese people, you copy us" bullshit. Then again he apologized, so it's okay for me.

Well, Klopp didn't do a great rhetorical job but there is a tiny bit of truth in it. Bayern start to attack much earlier in midfield when the other team is in possession than last season, that's one point that is very important to Klopp's idea of football. That however is also done by lots of other teams and Klopp hardly invented it. But still, I don't think that's much worse than just outright denying a good performance of the winner by saying "We were the better team".

But the point is that a lot of shit is said after a meaningful loss, so who cares really, the media just needs headlines.

Clegg

Fergie: "Defence won't be key to the game...we need to make sure we have an attacking threat..."

Fergie: "I think there will be goals tomorrow - we have to believe we can score more than them."

I think Fergie desperately wants us to be like the gung-ho, look how many we can score CL team of 98/99. Problem is a 3-3 like against Barca (both times) would knock us out ;_;
We're going to attack.

We tried to attack Barca and played 2 in midfield against them.

No way Ferguson sends his team out on the backfoot at Old Trafford when millions are watching.

I just hope he doesn't throw caution to the wind completely. Because then we really will be fucked.

D_prOdigy

Always remember that Fergus talks shit a lot and ends up doing not what he's said. Might be a huge ploy.

Will still get bum-jousted, tho.

GorillaJu

Viva, what are you going to do next week? I'm worried about your team, you've got 5 players who don't have fixtures, and another (Cameron) who hasn't been getting game time. I'm only gonna be able to put out 10 players myself without taking a hit on transfers.

Wilbur

Banned
I don't want us to just sit back and do our usual tactic of parking the bus and playing hoofball, but to just go gung ho is fucking suicide and I'm scared.

Kyoufu

I don't want us to just sit back and do our usual tactic of parking the bus and playing hoofball, but to just go gung ho is fucking suicide and I'm scared.

Roles will be reversed from the first leg. Madrid will sit back and counter while you attack first.

You will win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom