• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT15| About as productive as Tika Taka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Neville talking about Dembele. Missed it damn.

One of my favourite CM's in the Premier League, wish United would of gone for him. He's like a mini Yaya Toure.

Yeah I think he's fantastic. Really should have gone for him, fuck life.

City's next 4 away fixtures:

Everton
United
Spurs
Swansea

But they're a good team so we can't just assume that they'll drop points in these matches. They're certainly not easy fixtures though.

Can't see them winning at Everton or us, but they'll probably get points out of both of them. We'll be inclined not to go so gung ho if we're still 12 points ahead and in the CL. So draw in those two I think. They'll win at Swansea, and the Spurs game is a tough one to call.

feel

FORMATION TIME

What I want

--------------Lopez
Ramos - Pepe - Varane - Coentrao
---------Alonso - Khedira
Di Maria ---- Ozil ---- Ronaldo
-------------Benzema

What we'll get

--------------Lopez
Arbeloa - Ramos - Varane - Coentrao
-------------Higuain

What Im afraid of D:

--------------Lopez
-----Pepe - Alonso - Khedira
Kinda want that last formation lol.

LegoArmo

If you guys had to pick a side from the Premier League to play against a rest of world XI for some reason, who would it be? Like, Mignolet's been the best keeper this season for me but I wouldn't pick him. Would also have to be a proper team that could actually work as opposed to fucking morons at the back of FourFourTwo putting Messi and Ronaldo up front in a 4-4-2 formation. I'll give it a think.

4-3-3 with Rooney and Suarez flanking Van Persie. Carrick, Yaya Toure and Wilshere in midfield.

Will have a think on the back line. Keeper would probably be Cech.

Wilbur

Banned
My hypothetical team. I'm bored as fuck, I'm scared about tomorrow and I'm procrastinating from this essay. Please just let me be.

Lloris; Zabaleta, Ferdinand, Kompany, Baines; Wilshere, Carrick; Suarez, two of Rooney/Mata/Bale; van Persie

A mix of best team in the league individually and one that would actually work against top level opposition I think.

- Lloris or Cech, either or would be a great shout but I've been really impressed with Lloris. A little better at sweeping up behind a defense as well.

- Zaba is one of the league's best three right backs along with Raf and Glen but putting aside personal bias and going for sheer dependency it'd be Zabaleta.

- For centre backs you'd have to go with Kompany as a default and then you'd probably have a tough time picking his partner. For me it came down to Ferdinand or Vertonghen, but Rio's had his best season for a while now after the initial shit defending.

- Left back was always going to be Baines or Cole, and I think Baines is probably just as solid a defender but with a far better goals and set piece threat about him.

- Wilshere and Carrick centre midfield pairing is a little lightweight but it speaks about the dearth of top class midfielders more than anything. There's arguments to be made for Dembele and Sandro, Yaya (who is capable of destroying everyone but does it far too little), Lucas, Fellaini (who looks better more advanced), Cabaye and Sissoko... but I think you can't rule Wilshere out because of the fact he's often the best player on the pitch despite playing in what is a relatively weak team around him, and I'd pick Carrick because of a mix of personal preference/best season in ages/he's the greatest player in world football.

- Front four/five are the best in the league hands down, because all can score and assist. They're - with the exception of Mata - all relatively strong tough players so you'd avoid lightweight front fours like Chelsea's. Suarez and RVP would be the two constants, but I'd probably rotate between Rooney, Mata and Bale. Michu is great but in quality he's certainly below those five.

Feorax

4-3-3 with Rooney and Suarez flanking Van Persie. Carrick, Yaya Toure and Wilshere in midfield.

Will have a think on the back line. Keeper would probably be Cech.

Johnson - Ivanovic - Williams - Vertonghen

Hugo Lloris reckons Liverpool are playing the best football in the league at the moment.

I like Hugo Lloris.

FORMATION TIME

What I want

--------------Lopez
Ramos - Pepe - Varane - Coentrao
-------------Benzema

What we'll get

--------------Lopez
-------------Higuain

What Im afraid of D:

--------------Lopez
-----Pepe - Alonso - Khedira

Benzema? the same Benzema that was almost walking in the last clásico and lossed every ball he touched?. I'd rather get Higuain to be honest. Both have been awful the whole season but I think that Higuain could do better.

My prediction:

Lopez

Arbeloa--Varane--Ramos--Coentrao

Alonso--Khedira

Di Maria---Ozil---Ronaldo

Morata (lol)

Wilbur

Banned
Johnson - Ivanovic - Williams - Vertonghen

Hugo Lloris reckons Liverpool are playing the best football in the league at the moment.

I like Hugo Lloris.

Williams is a good shout if you'd want to vary the team a tad, but as much as I like Ivanovic as a goal scorer and masturbatory material, I don't think he's a fantastic defender. Far too often he's shown up for his poor pace. Good player, but not great.

And Liverpool are playing some great football. Swansea, us (clank clank), yourselves and Spurs are better than everyone right now in terms of being good to watch.

I think sometimes its forgotten how deep teams play against the likes of us and City recently, so what could be mistaken for poor attacking and lack of goals is just not getting through a tough rearguard. Norwich had all 11 behind the ball for the majority of the first half.

Wilbur

Banned
Only watching MOTD from the other day now. As much as QPR are cunts, I'm well happy for Park setting up that goal. Will always be one of my favourites, wish he'd gone somewhere better. Love the man.

Would love to be a part of FootballGAF, but the club is support isn't very prestigious at all.

The mighty Northampton Town FC.

I was going to go to Northampton Uni so I could get a season ticket :lol. I don't really know why. There was a Greggs on campus.

But you don't need to support a particular club to be a FootyGAF member! We have people like Timerda who supports Torino and some shit French club, we have people like WoodenLung and arkon who don't actually watch football, and then people like Bumhead who support Sheffield Wednesday. Welcome to all. You won't want to stay anyway, we're fucking weird.

RVP has scored 1 goal in his last 7 games.

Sell him.

one man team tho innit

He was bound to have a bad run of form at some point, the last half of 2010/11, all of 2011/12 and the first half of 2012/13 have been pretty much perfect for him.

Tc91

Would love to be a part of FootballGAF, but the club is support isn't very prestigious at all.

You can be a part man.

Just post away about your team a lot of people here follow clubs who don't have a big fanbase in FootballGAF.

Jeff - Blackburn, we went through the whole Kean and Venky's time with him, we laugh at Blackburn but also feel his pain :(.

L1NETT - Bradford.

Timerda - Got to take the piss out of PSG.

Woodenlung - He posts about Palermo & Copenhagen quite often and people have discussions with him.

DC - Follows Preston a little bit.

Regulus Tera - This guy I find entertaining. He posts late in to the night about Chivas(I think) gets so emotional and wound up, I find it funny.

So a lot of people talk about a variety of leagues in here and all have discussions with people.

pulga

Banned
If you guys had to pick a side from the Premier League to play against a rest of world XI for some reason, who would it be? Like, Mignolet's been the best keeper this season for me but I wouldn't pick him. Would also have to be a proper team that could actually work as opposed to fucking morons at the back of FourFourTwo putting Messi and Ronaldo up front in a 4-4-2 formation. I'll give it a think.

Spurs are one of them right?

Whatever it is, you're scoring twice. Don't be scurred.

So if they lose one before then and now, and we win all our games up until that match and then win that match... its a possibility?

I'll give it a go, with my limited EPL viewership.

----------------DDG
Rafael - Evans - Kompany - Vertonhgen
---------Fellaini - Wilshere
Suarez --- Rooney ---- Bale
-----------------RVP

Probably a bit lopsided but meh

But you don't need to support a particular club to be a FootyGAF member! We have people like Timerda who supports Torino and some shit French club, we have people like WoodenLung and arkon who don't actually watch football, and then people like Bumhead who support Sheffield Wednesday. Welcome to all. You won't want to stay anyway, we're fucking weird.

True, I did notice someone supports Chesterfield in the list, who are in the same division.

The greggs on campus is pretty hype, I go to the sixth form of the school right next door, so I can just waltz in and purchase anything from the Greggs if I had the money xD

but yeah, love the idea of becoming part of footballGAF, I watch a lot of foreign and top flight stuff too, except Spanish league, I dislike the Spanish league with a passion.

Wilbur

Banned
I'll give it a go, with my limited EPL viewership.

DDG
Rafael - Evans - Kompany - Vertonhgen
---------Fellaini - Wilshere
Suarez --- Rooney ---- Bale
RVP

Probably a bit lopsided but meh

EVANS HNNNNNNNNGGGGGHHHH

A tad harder to do it for La Liga because despite there being a few very good teams, outside of maybe Falcao and Isco it'd all be Barca/Madrid. I'd have:

Casillas; Ramos, Pepe, Puyol, Alba; Alonso, Busquets, Iniesta; Ozil, Messi, Ronaldo.

Messi and Ronaldo in the same team probably wouldn't work but FUCK IT.

Gonna give Bundesliga and Serie A a go as well. Bundes will be all Bayern and Dortmund. Serie A might be a tad different though.

Slizz

True, I did notice someone supports Chesterfield in the list, who are in the same division.

The greggs on campus is pretty hype, I go to the sixth form of the school right next door, so I can just waltz in and purchase anything from the Greggs if I had the money xD

but yeah, love the idea of becoming part of footballGAF, I watch a lot of foreign and top flight stuff too, except Spanish league, I dislike the Spanish league with a passion.

Welcome, so who is the team you find yourself rooting for in the top leagues?

Wilbur

Banned

Fuck yeah Greggs! I didn't go in the end, but it's quite a nice uni. There was a weird man giving a talk in the English taster lecture I went to, he kept licking his lips when he looked at me.

And good lad. Arnie and I don't like the spanish league either :lol

Wilshere hasn't been better than Gerrard this season.

I'm not completely basing it on this season, its kind of a mix of that and other things. Gerrard has been good this year, you're right. Would still have Wilshere over him.

Welcome, so who is the team you find yourself rooting for in the top leagues?

Well my parents support Liverpool, so I guess I stick by them when it's purely premiership stuff. I also have a soft spot for Nottingham Forest in the championship because I love Brian Clough.

I got to take the piss a lot when Town beat Liverpool at Anfield a couple of years back though, was glorious.

Remember a few days ago when I was asking if you should let your mates sleep in your bed if you get laid and can't get back to yours/hers?

My mates are great. Cheers Sheffield <3

It wasn't Arnie that went back with me, I wish it was :(

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Hey guys, just an idea but how about for next season we all chuck a tenner in and sponsor a player or two from a lower league side? It could be pretty fun following their games each week and something we could all get together on while giving something back to grassroots football. :)

Plus we'd get FootballGAF appearing in matchday programmes!

Messi

I thank everyone who's welcomed me with open arms here by the way, I can't reply to you all otherwise I would xD

tumblr_maa61gB5Fu1rp25c7o1_250.gif

Welcome to the club.

Wilbur

Banned
Remember a few days ago when I was asking if you should let your mates sleep in your bed if you get laid and can't get back to yours/hers?

Arnie would have let you enter the brown zone

Welcome! I support Zenit and our games against Liverpool was the first time anybody on neogaf gave a shit about my club. Footy-gaf is still really fun to be around though, especially being a neutral the vast majority of the time. Gives you lots of opportunities to troll.

Wilbur

Banned
Hey guys, just an idea but how about for next season we all chuck a tenner in and sponsor a player or two from a lower league side? It could be pretty fun following their games each week and something we could all get together on while giving something back to grassroots football. :)

Holy shit I'm down.

Matt Ritchie - sponsored by The Den Of Cunts

feel

EVANS HNNNNNNNNGGGGGHHHH

A tad harder to do it for La Liga because despite there being a few very good teams, outside of maybe Falcao and Isco it'd all be Barca/Madrid. I'd have:

Casillas; Ramos, Pepe, Puyol, Alba; Alonso, Busquets, Iniesta; Ozil, Messi, Ronaldo.

Gonna give Bundesliga and Serie A a go as well. Bundes will be all Bayern and Dortmund. Serie A might be a tad different though.
I want to see Messi and Ronaldo play side by side. Shit would be amazing surely. Some retiring player hosting a "friends of" friendly do it.

shortyme

So they let you use their bed or just their flat?

pulga

Banned
Is there any scenario tomorrow where both teams can be eliminated?

Not unless Bane shows up with a nuke.

Kinda want that last formation lol.

And have to suffer through Ozil non existent shooting?!

Benzema? the same Benzema that was almost walking in the last clásico and lossed every ball he touched?. I'd rather get Higuain to be honest. Both have been awful the whole season but I think that Higuain could do better.

My prediction:

Lopez

Arbeloa--Varane--Ramos--Coentrao

Alonso--Khedira

Di Maria---Ozil---Ronaldo

Morata (lol)

I'd suck Mourinho off he he had the balls to slot Morata :lol Wouldn't even be mad at him, that's how bad Benz and Pipa are this season.

EVANS HNNNNNNNNGGGGGHHHH

Trade ya Varane for Pepe (YOLO) and maybe find a way to convince the little cunt to play on the right so Falcao can have the middle, and it's pretty much my starting XI.

Formation haters are gonna have a stroke :lol

Linius

I support Ajax and nobody except for the Dutchies give a fuck. But still, Footey Gaf is best Gaf!

Also; Mad Men S04E08 was so intense.

Don voice-over was really well done.

Meier

@OptaMeier
My best impersonation:

"Man City have managed a clean sheet in 59% of Matija Nastasic's EPL games, the best percentage of any defender in a top-flight league. Composure."

Just guessing on that best percentage bit but it'd be tough to beat.

3Sixty

Ahh my Hampton nemesis.

We were down in league 1 when I first tried to sign up here!

Cobblers have being going great this season. Though they did let me down for 350 quid the other week I'm willing to let it slide.

Kyoufu

My best impersonation:

"Man City have managed a clean sheet in 59% of Matija Nastasic's EPL games, the best percentage of any defender in a top-flight league. Composure."

Just guessing on that best percentage bit but it'd be tough to beat.

65% of NeoGAF football supporters are Man United fans. Formations.

So they let you use their bed or just their flat?

I was staying at their house, one of their flatmates I'm sweet with went back to Manchester but let me have the room key. Went back to their flat after the club and some girl was there (apparently my mate just shouted 'anyone wanna go back to mine' when the club was finished because he didn't want to get a taxi back on his own and she said yeah. Classy girl.) When I said I was off to bed she just decided to tag along :lol

Ahh my Hampton nemesis.

We were down in league 1 when I first tried to sign up here!

Cobblers have being going great this season. Though they did let me down for 350 quid the other week I'm willing to let it slide.

If I recall you beat us 2-0 in the FA cup a few years back when you were in League one.

Southampton are one of the teams I'd like to stay up this season, I desperately want QPR, Wigan and Sunderland to go down out of the teams at risk.

I support Ajax and nobody except for the Dutchies give a fuck. But still, Footey Gaf is best Gaf!

Also; Mad Men S04E08 was so intense.

Don voice-over was really well done.

Ajax are probably the dutch side I like most. The youth system over there is just remarkable and amazing.

Arnie

I was hoping we could have visited together. Oh well.

I went to the Union on Saturday and it was wank.

Didn't pull, no vikings, was on the phone to a girl from Replica trying to get her to just go home with me at 1am. She ended up taxi'ing home on her own. She tried talking to me today and even though I responded, in my mind I was like (nooooooooope).

I was staying at their house, one of their flatmates I'm sweet with went back to Manchester but let me have the room key. Went back to their flat after the club and some girl was there (apparently my mate just shouted 'anyone wanna go back to mine' when the club was finished because he didn't want to get a taxi back on his own and she said yeah. Classy girl.) When I said I was off to bed she just decided to tag along :lol
Was it Sheffield Uni, or Hallam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom