• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT16| Bacon & Dregs

Arnie

Coutinho>Oscar

In the Premier League

@PowderedToast, it'll be fixed, he got one for the Spurs penalty
He's still got a long way to go but it's a brilliant start. He needs to add some bulk and work on his consistency in general play, but in terms of producing killer moments he's boss. Probably should've scored, too.

Grand so. I'll be at 50 points for the week.

That much closer to winning 40 quid off my friends
Are you in the GAF League?

Got some thinking to do for the weeks ahead. A few DGW's coming up...will wait for the result of tmrws cup replay before deciding what needs to be done!

PaulLFC

Cannot believe Coutinho only cost us £8.5 million. If he keeps this sort of form up he'll be a phenomenal player for us, that ball to Henderson for the equaliser was brilliant.

Yeah. Hopefully Suarez stays and we can choose between Coutinho, Downing, Sturridge, Sterling and one or two more to rotate around him

Loving Newcastle and Sunderland being dragged into it in the space of about 4 hours yesterday
Why are you ignoring the goal scoring predator, Fabio Borini?

Clegg

Chelsea have De Bruyne, Lukaku and Courtois all out on loan. They don't even need to sign anyone this summer. Just recall all three and start integrating them into the squad. Well, maybe not Courtois since he's a goalkeeper.

All Belgians too.

Chelsea have De Bruyne, Lukaku and Courtois all out on loan. They don't even need to sign anyone this summer. Just recall all three and start integrating them into the squad. Well, maybe not Courtois since he's a goalkeeper.

All Belgians too.
They need some better CM options IMO. But yeah, other than that they have a very strong and youthful squad if they recall the on loan players and use them.

Arnie

Why are you ignoring the goal scoring predator, Fabio Borini?
Borini will come good.

Rodgers record with transfers is actually pretty phenomenal so far. I'm convinced Allen will be boss, he was for the first few months of the season. Coutinho and Sturridge were immense buys.

And don't forget, this is the man who wanted to bring Ashley Williams in last summer amidst much criticism.

Since then he's been one of the league's best defenders, captained his team to a trophy, and teams like Arsenal want him.

Clegg

They need some better CM options IMO. But yeah, other than that they have a very strong and youthful squad if they recall the on loan players and use them.

Maybe one decent CM is all that's needed. They have some excellent young attacking midfielders in Hazard and Oscar. And Mata is only 24 ffs. Then they have De Bruyne who is supposed to be having a decent season in Germany too.

I don't think they need to sign a top class striker either. Lukaku and Ba should be good enough imo. Maybe they need another central defender but otherwise Chelsea are pretty well set up.

Borini will come good.

Rodgers record with transfers is actually pretty phenomenal so far. I'm convinced Allen will be boss, he was for the first few months of the season. Coutinho and Sturridge were immense buys.

And don't forget, this is the man who wanted to bring Ashley Williams in last summer amidst much criticism.

Since then he's been one of the league's best defenders, captained his team to a trophy, and teams like Arsenal want him.
Not really.

Allen £15m - Not been worth it yet
Borini £10m - Not been worth it yet
Assiadi £3m - Not really used him

Coutinho and Sturridge have been good.

Phenomenal is hyperbole. Pretty solid, no disasters, fair bit of promise.

A CM and a winger that is actually you know... A winger.
I think your wide options are pretty decent. Hazard is great. Moses is a useful wide player too. Doesn't De Bruyne play wide too? I know what you mean in terms of out and out wingers but there aren't many out there anymore.

Feorax

Apparently Coutinho in 6 games has more goals and assists than Clev and Wilshire combined this season.

That can't be right, surely?

Clegg

Apparently Coutinho in 6 games has more goals and assists than Clev and Wilshire combined this season.

In fairness, Wilshere is injured most of the time and Clev has been playing as a central midfielder. I don't think United fans expect many goals and assists from him.

Coutinho plays further up the pitch.

Maybe one decent CM is all that's needed. They have some excellent young attacking midfielders in Hazard and Oscar. And Mata is only 24 ffs. Then they have De Bruyne who is supposed to be having a decent season in Germany too.

I don't think they need to sign a top class striker either. Lukaku and Ba should be good enough imo. Maybe they need another central defender but otherwise Chelsea are pretty well set up.
I think to be a top team you need at least a very good striker.

Not sure Ba and Torres are. Lukaku could be, quite young though. Would sell Torres, sign a striker and give Lukaku more chances. Tough though when you only play one up front.

EA stats say:

Cleverley has 2 goals and 2 assists
Wilshere has 0 goals and 5 assists
Coutinho has 2 goals and 3 assists.

WJD

Well he does play much higher up the pitch than the both of them so it's not particularly surprising. His record is still impressive of course but comparing him to two CM's is pointless.

arkon

Wilshere hasn't played that many games has he?

Cleverley doesn't score many and isn't often the one providing the assists.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Look at dat tackle

jT9QPColDdHTK.jpg

BEARzagli, you underrated fucker.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Guys, guys, the journey is over!

And McCoist revealed: “We were listening to the Queen’s game on the bus back. The second biggest roar of the day came when Elgin got a penalty – and the biggest came when they scored it.

“I couldn’t hear who scored the penalty for the cheering on our bus but I wish the guy all the best – he made a lot of people very happy!

“We were just passing Auchterarder when the final whistle went at Hampden and I was really happy to see the players on the bus hugging one another. It was magic to know they wanted the title as much as we did.”

zvVGDoC.jpg

The faint red font above 'Champions' is a nice touch. New replacement for http://www.theacmilanblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/06-07-juve-serie-b-champions.jpg ? :p

Only two more divisions to climb. :lol

assist is such a meaningless stat, especially for measuring how good a creative player is.
I don't think it's meaningless but certainly it doesn't tell the whole story, especially for CM playmakers.

Modric for example never got many assists when he was at Spurs but he was their creative fulcrum and as good as any other in his position in the PL IMO.

Pirlo and Xavi only have 5 assists each in their leagues for example.

That said, the players in question - Cleverley is pretty passive. Wilshere is wonderful.

Clegg

It seems like Rafa made a huge mistake in his team selection yesterday. He put out a weakened and lost. Now Spurs are 2 points ahead in the league albeit having played a game more. And Arsenal are now breathing down Chelsea's neck too.

For Chelsea, is winning the FA Cup really worth missing out CL for?

Arnie

Coutinho's through ball today for Henderson was probably as cut and dry an assist as you'll see, and a great measure of him as a creative player.

Also, there's a photo knocking about of Jordan's celebration and he's absolutely stacked.

It seems like Rafa made a huge mistake in his team selection yesterday. He put out a weakened and lost. Now Spurs are 2 points ahead in the league albeit having played a game more. And Arsenal are now breathing down Chelsea's neck too.

Not for Chelsea, but it is for Rafa.

jtb

Banned

For Chelsea? Missing out on top 4 would be pretty bad. But for Rafa's CV? I think he'd take trophies of any kind.

arkon

It's just one stat to compare somebody's impact on the field relative to another. It can be meaningless, in the sense that a player lays off sideways to somebody who goes on a solo run beating three or four and then rounding the keeper to finish it off, isn't really much of an assist. Coutinho's pass today most definitely was though.

Clegg

Not for Chelsea, but it is for Rafa.

For Chelsea? Missing out on top 4 would be pretty bad. But for Rafa's CV? I think he'd take trophies of any kind.

Do you think hes gone from Chelsea no matter what happens?

Chelsea don't play in the league again until next sunday. In between that they have matches against United and Rubin Kazan. They could easily find themselves in 5th place and with a tired squad following their midweek games.

It just seems like Rafa has gotten his priorities completely wrong.

Chelsea don't play in the league again until next sunday. In between that they have matches against United and Rubin Kazan. They could easily find themselves in 5th place and with a tired squad following their midweek games.

It just seems like Rafa has gotten his priorities completely wrong.
Of course he is.

And that's why Rafa will do what is best for him, like any sane person would. Chelsea don't give a shit about him.

Oh course he is. Not only is he doing terrible and got all the supporters hating him, he also confirmed it himself in that angry rant. "The fans are not helping us. At the end of the season I will leave. They don't have to worry about me." But the deluded cunt still tries to spin his stay at Inter as a success cause he won some meaningless trophies, will probably hope for the same here.

The question is if he will even survive until the end of the season, could see a interim interim manager.

Arnie

Oh course he is. Not only is he doing terrible and got all the supporters hating him, he also confirmed it himself in that angry rant. "The fans are not helping us. At the end of the season I will leave. They don't have to worry about me." But the deluded cunt still tries to spin his stay at Inter as a success cause he won some meaningless trophies, will probably hope for the same here.
You think the FA Cup is a meaningless trophy?

At least you're propping up the Chelsea stereotype.

Clegg

Of course he is.

And that's why Rafa will do what is best for him, like any sane person would. Chelsea don't give a shit about him.

I suppose it makes sense for him to prioritise a trophy over CL qualification. It will look better on his CV anyway.

It leaves Chelsea in a bit of a mess if they fail to qualify for the CL though. Which may reflect poorly on him too.

I suppose it makes sense for him to prioritise a trophy over CL qualification. It will look better on his CV anyway.

It will leave Chelsea in a bit of a mess if they fail to qualify for the CL though. Which may reflect poorly on him too.
Personally I don't think he comes out of it well no matter what happens.

It's unfair in some ways, but Rafa has just managed to have people go against him. Nobody says good things about him from his time at Inter and I doubt they will when he leaves Chelsea. Liverpool fans still hold him in good stead I suppose but even a fair few of them felt it was right for him to go when he did.

Mud sticks. IMO the best managers make sure there isn't any to be thrown.

Kinda harsh I admit and he has had some pretty shitty breaks but it has to be his fault too.

I don't see him getting another "top" job myself, not straight after this. But I can see why he wants to win trophies, it's a natural inclination really.

You think the FA Cup is a meaningless trophy?

At least you're propping up the Chelsea stereotype.

Not really and neither was Supercoppa to be fair, just doesn't mean much at all if you are so shit in the league that you won't get CL. Sadly he missed his chance of saying he made Chelsea the champions of the world like he did with Inter...

Not really and neither was Supercoppa to be fair, just doesn't mean much at all if you are so shit in the league that you won't get CL.
CL qualification is much more important than winning the FA Cup is to a club like Chelsea.

Modern football blah blah. Just the way it is. Chelsea aren't starved for cups. They need to continue rebuilding and for they need the CL to attract players, managers and the finance it brings in.

Very simple.

You already know this. Dunno why I quoted you.

Arnie

Not really and neither was Supercoppa to be fair, just doesn't mean shit if you are shit in the league.
Fair enough, I suppose.

Bioshock spoiler, nothing major or endgamey (still a way off) but character related:

I spared Slate, because I didn't want to come across as a monster to Elizabeth, then when you see him later on in a vegetative state, and Elizabeth recognises that death would've been mercy for him. So I stick one bullet in his head, Roland Deschain style, and Liz says 'I suppose that's what he would've wanted'. I love this game.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Fair enough, I suppose.

Bioshock spoiler, nothing major or endgamey (still a way off) but character related:

I spared Slate, because I didn't want to come across as a monster to Elizabeth, then when you see him later on in a vegetative state, and Elizabeth recognises that death would've been mercy for him. So I stick one bullet in his head, Roland Deschain style, and Liz says 'I suppose that's what he would've wanted'. I love this game.

Oh I loved that section! Enjoy the ride.
3AQmK.gif

Top Bottom