• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT16| Bacon & Dregs

Dibbz

Looking back over the Arsenal game, man some of the passing was fucking sublime.

arsenal_reading_passia7cck.gif

arsenal_reading_passif5fg0.gif

Shame there was not enough end product, even though they managed to score 4. Could have easily been double.

GorillaJu

The conclusions Gaf members come to are just downright ridiculous some times. Right now, the circulating thought is that Bioshock Infinite isn't actually a good game, it's just that the ending is good and leaves you on a high, so you forget about the weaknesses and how bad the game supposedly is.

What a crock of bullshit. :lol As if people are that stupid and so easily conflate their feelings. It's a very good game - everything about it that it tried to accomplish was done to a high standard. The combat is especially fun.

Wilbur

Banned
The conclusions Gaf members come to are just downright ridiculous some times. Right now, the circulating thought is that Bioshock Infinite isn't actually a good game, it's just that the ending is good and leaves you on a high, so you forget about the weaknesses and how bad the game supposedly is.

What a crock of bullshit. :lol As if people are that stupid and so easily conflate their feelings. It's a very good game - everything about it that it tried to accomplish was done to a high standard. The combat is especially fun.

I fucking hate gaming GAF. Hate it. Everyone is a contrarian fuck.

Messi

I have a problem with the combat. I love the world but I don't want to mass murder people in it

Suen

La Coruna won against Mallorca and the commentator said that this was La Coruna's first away-win this season lol. They played well, deserved victory.

GorillaJu

I have a problem with the combat. I love the world but I don't want to mass murder people in it

Didn't you like Tomb Raider? I feel like Lara being a mass murderer is much less in character than Booker DeWitt.

I found the people of Bioshock Infinite to be eminently murder-able. They're out to get you, and you aren't a particularly good chap either, so using violence to defend yourself and pursue your destiny isn't an inconceivable MO.

I personally love games where you just get to smash up beauty and destroy paradise, especially when it's a cult paradise built on tenuous morals. Bioshock Infinite does that so, so well.

LTWheels

Infinite is an excellent game, but I did feel like sometimes the combat got in the way. I think it would be better off if less waves of enemies are thrown at you. I'm not saying that the combat is not good. I think it's in the top 5 games of this generation, maybe even number one. It's hard to say as I've just finished playing it. Time will tell.

My biggest issue of the game is that civilian npcs are lifeless standing still not moving, and their eyes do the creepy videogame thing where they all follow you around the room. I found it a bit of a shame as the world of Columbia is so well realised. Also you run around civilians holding a gun and they don't react.

Arnie

Didn't you like Tomb Raider? I feel like Lara being a mass murderer is much less in character than Booker DeWitt.

I found the people of Bioshock Infinite to be eminently murder-able. They're out to get you, and you aren't a particularly good chap either, so using violence to defend yourself and pursue your destiny isn't an inconceivable MO.

I personally love games where you just get to smash up beauty and destroy paradise, especially when it's a cult paradise built on tenuous morals. Bioshock Infinite does that so, so well.

Exactly the reason why I loved RDR and not GTAIV.

GorillaJu

Infinite is an excellent game, but I did feel like sometimes the combat got in the way. I think it would be better off if less waves of enemies are thrown at you. I'm not saying that the combat is not good. I think it's in the top 5 games of this generation, maybe even number one. It's hard to say as I've just finished playing it. Time will tell.

My biggest issue of the game is that civilian npcs are lifeless standing still not moving, and their eyes do the creepy videogame thing where they all follow you around the room. I found it a bit of a shame as the world of Columbia is so well realised. Also you run around civilians holding a gun and they don't react.

I think this is just part of how they wanted to make the game. It's not meant to be realistic by real world standards, but consistent within the world they present to you in the game - given that vigors, a sample of which can give even the common man the ability to shoot fireballs from their fingers or possess someone into committing homicide on your behalf, I'd say the lack of reaction to you running around with a gun is hardly unusual.

As for the creepy puppet-like faces and stares, again I think that's just the style. I think Ken Levine wanted to keep the aesthetic in time with the old-school exaggerated movements - like from old Charlie Chaplin movies and toys/dolls that were popular during the time period the game takes place in. He's always been a fan of keyframe animation over motion capturing - personally, I like it. It's unique and stylish, and it makes the game feel responsive to me.

GTA 4 is still amazingly fun online and when driving around having police chases. Fuck the backlash #haterz

GTA4 was an amazing, amazing city simulator. The way you can just breathe in the city is unique and special. I just didn't enjoy playing the actual game, so I never ended up finishing it :lol

Just finished watching the Zenit game, decide to check the other results and see that Anzhi lost 4-0.

im-okay-with-this.png

Up to second now(dat CL spot) and an easy run in left. Might be able to salvage something out of this shit season.

Arnie

GTA 4 is still amazingly fun online and when driving around having police chases. Fuck the backlash #haterz
Oh, I agree, meant purely from a story context perspective.

I like getting on a moped and razzing up little flights of stairs. Endless fun.

Moobabe

I think this is just part of how they wanted to make the game. It's not meant to be realistic by real world standards, but consistent within the world they present to you in the game - given that vigors, a sample of which can give even the common man the ability to shoot fireballs from their fingers or possess someone into committing homicide on your behalf, I'd say the lack of reaction to you running around with a gun is hardly unusual.

As for the creepy puppet-like faces and stares, again I think that's just the style. I think Ken Levine wanted to keep the aesthetic in time with the old-school exaggerated movements - like from old Charlie Chaplin movies and toys/dolls that were popular during the time period the game takes place in. He's always been a fan of keyframe animation over motion capturing - personally, I like it. It's unique and stylish, and it makes the game feel responsive to me.

My reaction to Infinite is somewhere in the middle of the hyperbolic GAF reaction either way. The dramatic irony and foreshadowing is wonderful; the narrative is definitely much stronger than the story here.

There's too much shooting though; the first 10-15 minutes of the game are excellent, seeing Columbia and its people in their natural habitat that only occurs at one other stage as well. Then BAM; everyone is on you, the citizens mysteriously disappear from the streets whenever a guard shoots you and it turns into a run of the mill "AAA" title.

And I think his point is that the lifeless citizens aren't responsive. Maybe 30% of them have lines in the game, and it's typically just one that they say before locking their gaze on you. It's a shame; the attention that has gone into the world and the main characters is wonderful, and has created some enduring moments (perhaps some of the strongest in this generation) but I can't help but feel I wanted a little more of Columbia, of story, of character - than of shooting fellas in the face.

Top Bottom