• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT16| Bacon & Dregs

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Post match Conte
Antonio Conte admits “Bayern Munich showed they were superior” after beating Juventus 2-0 and refused to criticise his players.

“We certainly faced a very strong team and we didn’t need tonight to tell us that. Bayern are among the favourites for the trophy and in my view were very fired up after losing the Final last season on home turf,” the Coach told Sky Sport Italia.

“They are physically strong, have quality and great individuals. I cannot complain about what my players did tonight.

“We have to be honest and say the better team won on the night. Seeing as we are coming back to playing at this level, it has to tell us how far away we are from the top teams in Europe.

“We know football is unpredictable and it’ll be an incredibly difficult task to go through, but we take it as experience and try to improve where we need to improve.

Mirko Vucinic was suffering from flu symptoms and was therefore not fit to start, but Conte denies this changed his plans.

“We had prepared the game in the normal fashion. Inevitably you have to deal with the opponents and tonight Bayern were extremely physical and determined. Compliments to Bayern.

“We have become competitive again in Italy, but need to keep working in order to improve on a continental level too.”

Juve unusually misplaced many passes and gave the ball away repeatedly in the final third, but Conte would not blame anyone.

“Bayern pressed us constantly and kept the tempo up, so we really struggled in the one-on-one due to their physicality too. I can’t get angry or point the finger at someone who could’ve given more this evening. In football you must be honest and admit tonight Bayern showed they were superior.

“We have just started our process 16 months ago and being in a Champions League quarter-final makes us proud. It is another stepping stone on this journey we are on.

“When we managed to keep possession, we caused Bayern problems, but we always missed the final ball or the change of direction. I think Bayern deserve much of the credit for that.

“I have always said the Champions League is a dream for us and we’d follow it, but always aware there are teams at a more advanced level. Also, don’t forget they can pay millions for a single player, whereas we cannot compete on a financial level.

“These games need to help us understand how much of a gap there is from us to the superpowers. I am very happy with my group of players for giving us unforgettable nights. We must prepare for the second leg, which will be very tough, but football can have surprises.”

Noirulus

I have the feeling Barca will finally be exposed this season and it won't be pretty.

They've already been exposed by Madrid, and their defence has been fragile all season long. Problem is that Tito is a smart guy and will probably try to adapt to other teams' tactics.

Noirulus

Messi or not, Juve have a better chance of going through than PSG imo.

Nah. Juve need 3 goals to win, and it's not like Bayern are suddenly going to become worse just because they're playing away.

Edit: Oh yeah, not sure if the posting time limit was reduced, but if it was, a hearty <3 to the mod that did it.

fuenf

what? they have to win by 3 goals. One Bayern goal and they are out, don't forget that Bayern could possible play a Martinez - Gustavo - Schweini midfield and out-juve Juve at their own game. Either way the odds are stacked against them. PSG on the other hand just has to win...

Lightning

Banned
Bayern and Barca are through basically but Barca are still an embarrassment. Decisions won't always go your way but that doesn't give excuse to act the way they do. It's pathetic

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Moura is not out. Pastore was ok though.

oh, ok. Damn, at least the camp nou is huge so we'll be able to have more space to get past those big monsters you have.

I thought we might have a terrible result today so 2-2 is not bad. I almost believed in Victor Valdes but that last play was terrible.

Tello should have come on for David way earlier than in the 81st minute. Not winning sucks but oh well. Better than the Milan result.

oh, ok. Damn, at least the camp nou is huge so we'll be able to have more space to get past those big monsters you have.

I thought we might have a terrible result today so 2-2 is not bad. I almost believed in Victor Valdes but that last play was terrible.

Tello should have come on for David way earlier than in the 81st minute. Not winning sucks but oh well. Better than the Milan result.
The Camp Nou pitch is the same size as the one at Parc de Princes.

It definitely looks alot bigger - but apparently, they are the exact same size.

G-Unit

rofl haters. Well, there is a decent chance we may get exposed next game since messi is basically half our winning chances. We'll see, we'll see.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I think he was suspended anyway

Yep. A good thing for us really.

Masch occasionally makes good plays by stepping in and taking possession away from the opposing team but he is reckless at times and shows why HE ISNT A FUCKING CENTERBACK.

I wish Alexis had been suspended for the next game. I thought Xavi was not that good either (or Iniesta) but I blame the stupid UEFA qualifying. The same fucking teams qualify every four years just let them in ffs

jtb

Banned
what? they have to win by 3 goals. One Bayern goal and they are out, don't forget that Bayern could possible play a Martinez - Gustavo - Schweini midfield and out-juve Juve at their own game. Either way the odds are stacked against them. PSG on the other hand just has to win...

don't get me wrong, they're both fucked. It's just that Juve are slightly less fucked than PSG. 2 away goals is killer. at least with Juve, there's always the chance that Bayern will switch off and think the tie is already over.

Yep. A good thing for us really.

Masch occasionally makes good plays by stepping in and taking possession away from the opposing team but he is reckless at times and shows why HE ISNT A FUCKING CENTERBACK.

I wish Alexis had been suspended for the next game. I thought Xavi was not that good either (or Iniesta) but I blame the stupid UEFA qualifying. The same fucking teams qualify every four years just let them in ffs
Mascherano is much better offensively from CB than Puyol though. Moves the ball on alot quicker and snuffs things out further up the field.

I agree he makes some stupid decisions and isn't a natural CB, height can also be an issue for him....but Puyol makes alot of mistakes nowadays too. Barca definitely need to sign a CB this summer!

Booked my flight to go hammer the shit out of him just now
:lol

G-Unit

The Camp Nou pitch is the same size as the one at Parc de Princes.

It definitely looks alot bigger - but apparently, they are the exact same size.

The cut of the field helps the barca game.

I hope next season we get a mini revolution. We have a huge lack of goal scorers and our back is bad this days.

Shut your whore mouth Andres. Just because Colombia hasn't been in a World Cup in forever doesn't make CONMEBOL qualifying any harder.

fuenf

don't get me wrong, they're both fucked. It's just that Juve are slightly less fucked than PSG. 2 away goals is killer. at least with Juve, there's always the chance that Bayern will switch off and think the tie is already over.

fair point.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Im a Madrid fan, so no love for Valdes .... but that is soo not his fault. Shot got deflected just enough, nothing he could do.

Noirulus

I think the real reason Valdez wants to leave is because the players are probably talking shit about him behind his back. He's been one of the weaker links in Barca for the past 2 years.

Im a Madrid fan, so no love for Valdes .... but that is soo not his fault. Shot got deflected just enough, nothing he could do.
Eh. It deflected which makes it tough for him but to say there is nothing he could do?

A good keeper adjusts. The shot, even with the deflection, wasn't that powerful and the deflection didn't take it in a totally different direction.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Booked my flight to go hammer the shit out of him just now

So you finally turned on your love? I've been saying this shit for years I'm honestly not that upset.

Mascherano is much better offensively from CB than Puyol though. Moves the ball on alot quicker and snuffs things out further up the field.

I agree he makes some stupid decisions and isn't a natural CB, height can also be an issue for him....but Puyol makes alot of mistakes nowadays too. Barca definitely need to sign a CB this summer!

:lol

Yeah, Puyol is just too old at this point and he's not that tall like the modern CB's are nowadays. He'll always be a legend but it's time for him to move on and coach the Liga Adelante team or something.

Honestly, if I was Pique I'd be rubbing on Ibra's dick to get him out of the game but apparently that witch Shakira has taken all of his self-awareness and love for FCB

G-Unit

I think the real reason Valdez wants to leave is because the players are probably talking shit about him behind his back. He's been one of the weaker links in Barca for the past 2 years.

he should leave, every one winz... but he is not the only one under performing. Actually the only ones playing as expected are messi and iniesta. Maybe Buscuits

arkon

Eh. It deflected which makes it tough for him but to say there is nothing he could do?

A good keeper adjusts. The shot, even with the deflection, wasn't that powerful and the deflection didn't take it in a totally different direction.

Not everyone is De God, mate.

Smeghead

Only caught the last 10 mins, but even by then I could tell we were getting shat on. If there's one caveat with Cunte, it's that he makes subs way too late in games.

Can't see us keeping a clean sheet at home and winning by 2+ as well.

Maybe next year when we've got the lion up front we'll get a bit further in champos.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Shut your whore mouth Andres. Just because Colombia hasn't been in a World Cup in forever doesn't make CONMEBOL qualifying any harder.

What teams are in your group again? We missed 2002 on goal differential and 2006 and 2010 by 2 points. Uruguay and Argentina playing the last game every qualifying cycle is bullshit too. Paraguay usually let us win also but we lose against shit teams like Venezuela more often than not.

Salomon is great though, yes.

Degea would've stopped it. Best keeper in the world imo. I didn't see the FA cup yesterday morning but the shit he did in the first leg (match?) was unbelievable.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Only caught the last 10 mins, but even by then I could tell we were getting shat on. If there's one caveat with Cunte, it's that he makes subs way too late in games.

Can't see us keeping a clean sheet at home and winning by 2+ as well.

Maybe next year when we've got the lion up front we'll get a bit further in champos.
And two of our best players suspended, heh.

A QF in our (re)debut season with shit strikers isn't bad though, eh?

jtb

Banned
who do the winners of this QF round face in the semis? Will we get another clasico semifinal, or is there a separate draw for that?

Degea would've stopped it. Best keeper in the world imo. I didn't see the FA cup yesterday morning but the shit he did in the first leg (match?) was unbelievable.
De Gea would have passed it to Villa to launch a counter.

He's getting good :) Not the best yet, but definitely improving fast. His shot stopping is unreal, saves us so many times. I hope next year he can be more demanding. Although that probs isn't something he will need very much when he goes to Barca :(

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
who do the winners of this QF round face in the semis? Will we get another clasico semifinal, or is there a separate draw for that?

Both the CL and EL are having a separate draw for the semi-finals.

It's a new thing.

G-Unit

He's getting good :) Not the best yet, but definitely improving fast. His shot stopping is unreal, saves us so many times. I hope next year he can be more demanding. Although that probs isn't something he will need very much when he goes to Barca :(

Hope lord hears you!

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Isn't Shakira a merengue?

Most Colombians are, it's fucking disgraceful.

Why love a team from such an evil city and country? I don't know. I'm the only one who loves Barcelona among my peoples that I know. The 1992 Olympics were awesome and Barcelona is just so cool. Add Romario and Dinho plus Messi to that!

I'm going to go listen to Fry's favorite band now, lol

Clegg

His contract expires in June 2016. If Barca want him this summer then he'd cost an arm and a leg. We should offer him a new contract in summer 2014.

Or maybe even a swap. Thiago + £10m for De Gea.

kharma45

If he keeps developing as he is he could be one of the best in say 2 seasons time.

What teams are in your group again? We missed 2002 on goal differential and 2006 and 2010 by 2 points. Uruguay and Argentina playing the last game every qualifying cycle is bullshit too. Paraguay usually let us win also but we lose against shit teams like Venezuela more often than not.

Salomon is great though, yes.

Portugal. In 2010 it was Germany and in 2006 it was Portugal again. Basically, fuck Portugal. And these three qualifying cycles we only have 3 losses combined. The margin is so thin though unlike CONMEBOL where half the teams make it anyway.

His contract expires in June 2016. If Barca want him this summer then he'd cost an arm and a leg. We should offer him a new contract in summer 2014.

You should do it this summer imo. 4 years to start with, 2 year extension every 2 years is the ideal. That way you have enough time knowing that a player intends to leave to get a good price for them, and its short enough for the player to feel secure in being able to leave when they want to.

Clegg

You should do it this summer imo. 4 years to start with, 2 year extension every 2 years is the ideal. That way you have enough time knowing that a player intends to leave to get a good price for them, and its short enough for the player to feel secure in being able to leave when they want to.

I agree. But there's no way the Glazers would offer a new contract to a player who still has 3 years on his current one.

Top Bottom