• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT16| Bacon & Dregs

bjaelke

BHBfd-UCAAATdB1.jpg:large

HenGod sporting a semi.

Arnie

Alleged Chesea kits...

Home looks so bad it can't be real. So it probably is. White looks okay but as always, plain would look better. Really like the black though.

Could our Adidas insider Arnie give us any hints?

There's some sort of announcement tomorrow.
Was never shown the kits, just the nearly finished adverts for the campaign.

It's got Terry falling back into a big pit of blue paint, and the tagline's something about 'it's blue, what else matters?'. Also has Mata, Luiz, and Cahill being smothered with blue paint. Mata looks boss, and Luiz is pulling an almost Jesus like pose.

Said it a couple of weeks ago but it'll produce a few great gifs.
Last of Us?

I've been using mine as a Blu Ray player at Uni so it's still got some use.

No, Journey. But I'll play TLoU as well once I've dusted the cobwebs off the box.

dc89

tc shows me Welbz stats. 2 goals in 35 appearances.

"Why does Froggie stick with him?"

"Good worker."

"But JM7 is a good worker and he just gets shat on?"

"..."

Got him on that one.

Lightning

Banned
Southampton vs Man City still rates as the best game this year so far for me. So many laughs in that game. The OG, Joe Hart just LOL.

tc shows me Welbz stats. 2 goals in 35 appearances.

"Why does Froggie stick with him?"

"Good worker."

"But JM7 is a good worker and he just gets shat on?"

"..."

Got him on that one.

Welbeck's hard work cuts off passes, creates interceptions/tackles, and prevents the other team from playing it out from the back as easily as they'd like. Milner huffs around getting a sweat on, without ever really influencing anything going forwards or back because he doesn't know how to put his stamina to good use. Watch a Fenerbahce game if you want to see what a productively defensive winger can give the team (if he still plays RW) and then wonder why the fuck Milner is in your team every week.

Clegg

If United want to get the best out of Welbeck then he needs to be played up front and not out wide or behind the strikers. He's benefiting from plenty of gametime but if we want him to be a top striker then he needs to start there more regularly.

But overall I've been pretty impressed with him over the last 2 seasons.

Arnie

Last season Blackburn were playing in the Premier League, whilst Sheffield Wednesday were in League 1. On Saturday the two teams meet on level points, both escaping the relegation zone on goal difference (but with a game in hand). Can't wait for it.

kharma45

If United want to get the best out of Welbeck then he needs to be played up front and not out wide or behind the strikers. He's benefiting from plenty of gametime but if we want him to be a top striker then he needs to start there more regularly.

But overall I've been pretty impressed with him over the last 2 seasons.

He'll never be a top striker.

Yeah.

It's the main reason why United fans (who aren't the idiots on here :p) like him so much.

First player to come through the academy who is actually capable of playing for us in a long long time.

:(

Clegg

Yeah.

It's the main reason why United fans (who aren't the idiots on here :p) like him so much.

First player to come through the academy who is actually capable of playing for us in a long long time.

Would O'Shea be the last player before Welbeck? He has over 400 appearances for us but was never really a great player. He could do a decent job across midfield and defence but he wasn't really a standout.

We'd have to go to Scholes/Beckham/Butt/Nevilles if we're looking for the academy players who had properly good careers with us.

Wilbur

Banned
Welbeck is a hero. Genuinely a good player. Just can't finish :lol, but some of his dribbing outside the box and closing down from the front is fantastic.

Last season Blackburn were playing in the Premier League, whilst Sheffield Wednesday were in League 1. On Saturday the two teams meet on level points, both escaping the relegation zone on goal difference (but with a game in hand). Can't wait for it.

Hope both avoid it. There's plenty of teams in the Champ I don't give a fuck about, but those two I have an affinity for, Robbie.

kharma45

Would O'Shea be the last player before Welbeck? He has over 400 appearances for us but was never really a great player. He could do a decent job across midfield and defence but he wasn't really a standout.

We'd have to go to Scholes/Beckham/Butt/Nevilles if we're looking for the academy players who had properly good careers with us.

Evans? Fletcher?

Timurid

Yeah.

That's understandable. Hopefully, he does become a top striker some day.

dc89

Because Danny Welbeck didn't cost £28m.

Welbeck is homegrown youth right?

Welbeck's hard work cuts off passes, creates interceptions/tackles, and prevents the other team from playing it out from the back as easily as they'd like. Milner huffs around getting a sweat on, without ever really influencing anything going forwards or back because he doesn't know how to put his stamina to good use. Watch a Fenerbahce game if you want to see what a productively defensive winger can give the team (if he still plays RW) and then wonder why the fuck Milner is in your team every week.

Well shut my mouth.

Hmm... PS3, 360, owner here. I wonder what gaming on a iMac means in relation to this?! :S

Wilbur

Banned

He'll never be a top striker. But he will be a Fletcher I think; trusted by the manager, very good at doing a specific job, and liked by the fans.

I love Danny. Love him.

That division is just so hard to follow. So many teams could still be relegated. Really crazy.

I don't think he will tbh, his finishing just isn't good enough. I guess it can be worked on but it's a natural thing also.

But I think he'll be a good player for us, for sure.

kharma45

He's still pretty young and his goalscoring record was alright last season. It's been poor this year but he still has time to improve.

It's not as bad as I thought, just looked it up. 12 goals in 39 games (not sure how many are subs and how many are starts), not much worse than Chica.

Clegg

Evans? Fletcher?

I forgot about them tbh. Both didn't really make their breakthroughs until the late 00's. Before that it was probably O'Shea in 2003 and then we'd going all the way back to the mid 90's for Scholes , Beckham etc

I know some posters here don't rate Evans very highly but he's been pretty good since November. Had a good season last year too imo.

How old were they when they moved to Man Utd? I'm guessing similar to Sterling, they moved when they were very young but the groundwork was done elsewhere

Nah both joined early. Fletcher was 10 or 11 I think and Evans first joined at 9 although he had to go back to Ireland so it was a few years before he joined up for good.

kharma45

Wow, didn't realise foreign scouting and acquisitions happened at that age

Do they really count as foreign? Evans, to quote Wiki, "was invited to attend the Manchester United Centre of Excellence in Belfast, before being invited for a trial in Manchester a year later. Rule changes within The Football Association at the time meant that clubs were limited to players who lived within an hour and a half of the club, so Evans' opportunities were limited. However, the Evans family soon relocated to Manchester, allowing Jonny to train with Manchester United full-time."

Fletcher would've been signed before those rules.

I forgot about them tbh. Both didn't really make their breakthroughs until the late 00's. Before that it was probably O'Shea in 2003 and then we'd going all the way back to the mid 90's for Scholes , Beckham etc

I know some posters here don't rate Evans very highly but he's been pretty good since November. Had a good season last year too imo.
Wes Brown. WESLEY BROWN!

With orangeeeee everywhereeeeee

FootballFan

Sorry Fry, but fuck off. The Bayern hate is all a joke, which isn't the same for Barca, Madrid, Chelsea, United, Liverpool. No one else fucking cries like you do when someone else hates on their club. You're just too easy to get at. Who the fuck else cares when people say UEFAlona, laugh at Lolerpool or City? No one else gives a shit. It's only you that cries when we disagree with an offside opinion

And all the only United shit; if you can't see that half our posts talk about how shit our team is and the other half is tongue in cheek, then you're just horrendously one eyed.

I like you Fry. You're fun. But you're being a fucking weirdo.

Fuck off, Abidal got a red for not even touching Anelka cunt diver. Fergie time shit. Howard Webb MotM.

<3

Chelsea XI vs Rubin Kazan: Cech; Azpilicueta, Luiz, Terry, Bertrand; Benayoun, Lampard, Mata, Ramires, Moses; Torres

Rubin XI vs Chelsea: Rondon; Rondon, Rondon, Rondon, Rondon; Rondon, Rondon, Rondon, Rondon; Rondon, Rondon

Rondon is actually on the bench for Rubin. WTF?

dc89

And while we're on the subject look at this thread over in OT.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475396

6a00d8341c630a53ef016766c0e876970b-640wi

- Man accused of rape, denies it
- Found guilty. Goes to prison for 6 years, registered as sex offender
- Budding College American football career is destroyed
- His accuser gets in touch via Facebook years later, they eventually meet in person
- Woman admits she lied, but said she didn't want to tell prosecutors because she's have to give the $1.5m she was awarded back

That image is incredibly powerful.

Top Bottom