• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT17| Jordan Henderson for Ballon d'Or

Football also has lots of stoppages in play, just not officially. How many times you see players not getting up and feigning injury? When a controversial freekick/penalty decision is made, it takes almost 2 minutes before that kick is taken due to objections, etc.
Offsides are even easier, you can do it with special shoes, or even review the goal while the players are busy celebrating.

An average NFL game has about 12.5 minutes of actual playing time out of the 60 minute game. Football isn't even close to that plus that's why there's time added on at the end.

And how would your "special shoes" help with determining offside?

Arnie

Damn Juve fans I just caught some footage of Januzaj. You guys should be excited. Looks a real prospect.

iOCG9jGZAfHo5.gif

Suen

That was hard. Congratulations to Dortmund
I know I'm late but tolkiiiiiiiiiiir!! Don't let it make you feel down too much. Your first experience in Champions League, financial crisis, selling among your best players to reduce the financial problems, banned one year from UEFA and yet you kept going strong, you made it far, you played some great moments and fought hard.

The club has been in a poor situation for a while now but it didn't stop players from doing their best in the competition. You were also really close on beating Dortmund, one of the toughest opponents in CL this year. If anythig you should be very proud of what you guys have accomplished. Malaga has impressed me so much this season that I feel I have nothing but good to say about it. If I wasn't a Madrid supporter I'd be cheering for Malaga now (and I still do cheer for them to win every match in La Liga except the ones where they meet Madrid :p)! You didn't deserve the loss and what happened is really tough to take but stay with us, your club is awesome! Also fuck Malaga-haters.

Someone should put me as a fake-fan of Malaga in the list on the first page.

Suen

Yeah, and he didn't tell anyone untill their game was finished for the players to focus on teh game.

Big respect for Pellegrini
Woah respect. I'd love to see him stay with Malaga and build it up, he did such a great job this season.

If Mourinho or Wenger leave then please take over their position
Don't become a Madrid coach, Madrid are cunts towards their coaches, see Heynckes

coldfoot

Banned
An average NFL game has about 12.5 minutes of actual playing time out of the 60 minute game. Football isn't even close to that plus that's why there's time added on at the end.
NFL call reviews take barely a minute. All that other stuff in NFL isn't coming over, just call reviews.

And how would your "special shoes" help with determining offside?
Similar to GLT. You'd always know where the feet of the 22 players and the ball were on the pitch with small RF tracking devices inside the players' boots and the ball itself. Then it's just software to determine whether a position is offside by looking at the ball's movement and where the players are. You can even determine passive offsides by calculating where the ball went after a pass and whether it was in the vicinity of an offside player.

K1LLER7

Even Varane and Lopez combined could not stop Drogba. Why did Chelsea not keep this guy?
Because Abramovic.

Got a feeling United are going to have a busy summer in the transfer window. Expect a world class signing and definitely a midfielder.

Chicha could be on his way out. Would be sad but he deserves to play.

Clegg

Because Abramovic.

Got a feeling United are going to have a busy summer in the transfer window. Expect a world class signing and definitely a midfielder.

In: Falcao, Strootz and James

yea boi

NFL call reviews take barely a minute. All that other stuff in NFL isn't coming over, just call reviews.

Similar to GLT. You'd always know where the feet of the 22 players and the ball were on the pitch with small RF tracking devices inside the players' boots and the ball itself. Then it's just software to determine whether a position is offside by looking at the ball's movement and where the players are. You can even determine passive offsides by calculating where the ball went after a pass and whether it was in the vicinity of an offside player.

Position of the feet isn't enough to determine offside though. Won't tell you where the bodies and heads are. Not enough to perfectly call offside.

K1LLER7

In: Falcao, Strootz and James

yea boi
Don't think we'll get Strootz. He'll probably end up at Milan or somewhere. Viva only tells us transfer lies :p

Would love if we got Bale but thats not likely. Might be a chance if they fail to reach top 4 AND Bale wants to come to United.

But then again we're dealing with Levy here.

GorillaJu

If Bale was at any other PL club, I could see United gettin him. Hell I think there'd be a bigger chance of him coming from Liverpool than from Spurs.

99% of the time it comes down to where your feet are and we have linesmen for that other 1%

Yes, but 99% of the time the calls are fucking easy for the linesmen anyway. You're suggesting an expensive system that will be imperfect. Plus, refs will still be there to make pelanty calls so whether you like it or no,t luck will still be part of the game, as Blatter wants.

K1LLER7

Falcao to United, kill me
Dat Columbian market.

Embrace the Clank.

If Bale was at any other PL club, I could see United gettin him. Hell I think there'd be a bigger chance of him coming from Liverpool than from Spurs.
He's a big fan of Ronaldo who developed into what he is now, at United. He's also a massive fan of Giggs and apparently watched Giggs often. I'd hope we try and sweet talk him into becoming our next Giggs, give him the #7, throw Levy the 40m.

Both parties happy, United would dominate the league.

Suen

Wanted to try something new and honestly, what better way could he ever leave on that winning CL for Chelsea?

Bullshit.
I agree that he did leave at the right time but at the same time I'm sure he could still have contributed lots to the club. Still I'm pretty glad he can play for a big club anyway and also glad he had the chance to play in CL again. He still looks better in blue, sorry Gala-gaf lol.

What really pisses me off is that people relate that sheik to Malaga, guy bought the team and spent money he didn't have or plan to actually give, almost got the club relegated to 2ªB and made it a target for uefa. He didn't even pay the former owner yet, the club isn't rightfuly his, and Calling himself "president" when he has been in Spain for 3 days top and has done NOTHING irritates me.

And now he makes the club look like shit with that nonsense, after what players and staff are doing this year. And fans filling the stadium every day. gtfo pls.
I don't get this either, if anything Malaga and it's fans are the ones who've been most fucked by this sheikh.

Suen

I really hope it's a Madrid - Bayern final. It would be pure fucking class. I can't see it being anything else.
I hope not because we're shit this season. Galatasaray scored three goals against "one of the best teams in the world" and while I don't think Galatasaray is a bad team in any way (as proven today) a team like Bayern, especially in it's current top form, will rape us att Allianz Arena. We won't be able to reclaim victory at Bernebau. If Bayern will be the ones to defeat Madrid my biggest hate for years to come will be Bayern. Madrid, Arsenal and Madrid in just one year will be too much for me to take.

I hope Juve wins tomorrow and meet Madrid in the semis, dat pulga reactions.

Clegg

Falcao would thrive at United imo. If we could get our wingers sorted out then he'd get some quality service.

Frogie pls.

arkon

Saga for me. Looking forward to the first Dial H trade though - I've only read the #0 issue.

Ooh. I can see that as well.

Shame that DC's trade policy is so crap. They take an age to get this shit out. I don't think Dial H is long for this world unfortunately. That is mainly based on supposition from early solicits of the second trade having a high issue count packed in though. They might go back on that if trades sales for the first volume are high or it might just be a typo in the solicits.

MPW

Because Abramovic.

doubt it

man city probably will

GorillaJu

(in response to Suen): Real Madrid and Bayern are like the same team in a sense, but between the two of them I'll take Bayern any day of any week because they don't maliciously inhibit the progress of the league by slurping up all of its TV money.

Order of big teams from PL, La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga that have my respect:

1) Dortmund
2) Juventus
3) Man Utd
4) Bayern
5) Arsenal
6) Milan
7) Chelsea
8) Barcelona
9) Atletico Madrid
10) PSG
11) Inter
12) Real

I have no opinion on City, Spurs, Valencia, Malaga, Napoli as they aren't major European contenders. Though all of those teams are still more preferable to Real and Barça.

Ingeniero

Missed the games today, too much work.
But damn, I actually feel bad for Malaga... Well thats futbol mam, well played anyways.

And Madrid is in semis as expected, good job.

Rooting for PSG and Bayern tomorrow :D

The most impressive thing about Barca is that they've fielded an entire first team from their academy a few times. It's likely that we may not see that replicated by other successful clubs in our lifetime

coldfoot

Banned
Yes, but 99% of the time the calls are fucking easy for the linesmen anyway.
Just like the Dortmund-Malaga match, amirite?
Just because calls are easy doesn't mean the linesmen will fail, or worse deliberately won't call them. Even if we can't eliminate human referees 100%, the less human involvement in decision making, the better.

Isn't it curious also that academy produced winning teams seem to come all at once every generation or so? Most of the time an academy is considered a success if it produces just one or two first team players.

Top Bottom