• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT17| Jordan Henderson for Ballon d'Or

Sloosha

Ooh. I can see that as well.

Shame that DC's trade policy is so crap. They take an age to get this shit out. I don't think Dial H is long for this world unfortunately. That is mainly based on supposition from early solicits of the second trade having a high issue count packed in though. They might go back on that if trades sales for the first volume are high or it might just be a typo in the solicits.

That's unfortunate. I still hope to see China Mieville's continued involvement in comics.

Yeah DC's trade policy is arrant shite. Have to wait a veritable lifetime for JL: Dark vol 2.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
David Faitelson is hilarious.

'Este no es un torneo de Cenicientas'

'this isn't a tournament for Cinderella'

Regarding Málaga's loss to Dortmund and if they were robbed by the refs
Why the fuck are you guys listening to those cunts? Especially Faitelson, he wasn't even brought up as a football commentator. He originally comes from a boxing background.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Similar to GLT. You'd always know where the feet of the 22 players and the ball were on the pitch with small RF tracking devices inside the players' boots and the ball itself. Then it's just software to determine whether a position is offside by looking at the ball's movement and where the players are. You can even determine passive offsides by calculating where the ball went after a pass and whether it was in the vicinity of an offside player.
The problem with what you are trying to implement is that offsides are determined by any part of the body except the hands/arms. Short of players wearing mocap suits during matches this is not gonna work.

FootballFan

99% of the time it comes down to where your feet are and we have linesmen for that other 1%

I'm with Sviat. Fuck that shit.

One offside goal cancels out another.

You can't pick and choose which one you get irate about.

Well, you can, but you'll come across as a tit.

People do that all the time with Barca/ManU/Juve etc, doesn't ever make them tits. If Xavi scores a winner from offside against PSG. How many people will even care that Ibra scored a goal that was 5 metres offside? None lol.

coldfoot

Banned
The problem with what you are trying to implement is that offsides are determined by any part of the body except the hands/arms. Short of players wearing mocap suits during matches this is not gonna work.
1. The difference between where the feet are vs. where the rest of the bodies are is small, this method would be much more reliable than plain old eyesight method used by the linesmen.
2. If you'd still like better tech, you can have 50 kinects scanning the pitch from every angle for the players and the ball. Would not even require any special equipment from the players' side.

I just don't like people whining about officiating in general. Especially when they fucking decide to claim corruption. Every team gets bad calls and also benefits from bad calls. Deal with it.

Slizz

I just don't like people whining about officiating in general. Especially when they fucking decide to claim corruption. Every team gets bad calls and also benefits from bad calls. Deal with it.

Yup, every team could have done something better earlier in the game to probably nullify a ref mistake.

FootballFan

Woah respect. I'd love to see him stay with Malaga and build it up, he did such a great job this season.

If Mourinho or Wenger leave then please take over their position
Don't become a Madrid coach, Madrid are cunts towards their coaches, see Heynckes

You do realise Pellegrini was Madrid's coach already right?

(in response to Suen): Real Madrid and Bayern are like the same team in a sense, but between the two of them I'll take Bayern any day of any week because they don't maliciously inhibit the progress of the league by slurping up all of its TV money.

Order of big teams from PL, La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga that have my respect:

1) Dortmund
2) Juventus
3) Man Utd
4) Bayern
5) Arsenal
6) Milan
7) Chelsea
8) Barcelona
9) Atletico Madrid
10) PSG
11) Inter
12) Real

I have no opinion on City, Spurs, Valencia, Malaga, Napoli as they aren't major European contenders. Though all of those teams are still more preferable to Real and Barça.

The love for Juve and Dortmund here still surprises me tbh. Other than that, your list is very accurate.

Fry

Got home only now, and seen the results.

WOW.

WOW. This is Champions League. And I missed it.

FUCK BORUSSIA

arkon

That's unfortunate. I still hope to see China Mieville's continued involvement in comics.

Yeah DC's trade policy is arrant shite. Have to wait a veritable lifetime for JL: Dark vol 2.

Definitely. I'd love for him to be given some other properties to toy around with either by DC or one of the other publishers. Better yet, him letting loose with a creator-owned book.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
1. The difference between where the feet are vs. where the rest of the bodies are is small, this method would be much more reliable than plain old eyesight method used by the linesmen.
Anything would be better than just linesmen, but that doesn't mean this method is optimal. Besides, the reason the rule is worded like this is for those tight situations when the ball keeps getting scrambled in the close vicinity of goal. At that point the technology loses whatever advantage it has over human sight.
2. If you'd still like better tech, you can have 50 kinects scanning the pitch from every angle for the players and the ball. Would not even require any special equipment from the players' side.
I've always been of the opinion that the fourth official doesn't do enough. The fastest and cheapest way to "improve" offside officiating would be to give the fourth official a mini-tv or whatever and let him check plays on his own. Obviously the last call would still be the main ref's, but this delegation of responsibilities is only similar to what linesmen already do. You could also implement this for phantom goals.

They would have were they not denied 2 penalties in the first leg.

Look what's new? More whining about officiating. I miss the Soviet Union, people weren't allowed to whine.
Also our footballers were better.
Maybe Putin can bring back the glory days.

fPpHiqf.gif

Fry

They would have were they not denied 2 penalties in the first leg.

I can't comment because I didn't see it.

Tomorrow is going to be another tense day. I hope bayern can snatch an early goal, that way it's 100% guaranteed to go through in my eyes.

I'll be tense as fuck for as long as the game is goalless though.

FootballFan

Assuming they didn't do a Messi and shank the crucial penalties onto the bar of course.

Gala have Drogba anyway, we all remember his penalty in the CL final.

Also, "crucial penaltieS"? where does the plural come from? Other than the Chelsea game he has scored every other important penalty I remember. A 100th minute penalty against Espanyol to win the game, 2 out of 2 against Milan in the CL knockouts to win the game, 1 in the clasico to get the lead etc.

OK??

Didn't most of those footballers come from the countries that are now not Russia?

The late 80's Lobanovsky's led teams did indeed contain a bunch of Ukrainians from his Dynamo Kiev team. Besides that team though, it would be inaccurate to claim that most USSR squads weren't majority Russian. I'd say overall it would be like 60% Russian, 30% Ukrainian and the rest were Armenians, Georgians and other castoffs. BTW, I'm a quarter Ukrainian.

Doubt there will ever be a new Loskov man. Times are changing. :(

Oh man, can't believe I forgot to tell you this last week. Loko has been dire recently and even playing with 4 forwards they can't score goals. They are clearly lacking a creative midfielder who can create chances for them and the fans are demanding that Bilic give Loskov a chance.

FootballFan

Oh man, can't believe I forgot to tell you this last week. Loko has been dire recently and even playing with 4 forwards they can't score goals. They are clearly lacking a creative midfielder who can create chances for them and the fans are demanding that Bilic give Loskov a chance.

I am one of those people emailing him from New Zealand threatening the coach to not leave Loskov on the bench.

N'Doye up front and Loskov providing inch-perfect passes. Only an idiot wouldn't use that.

(The 4 forwards you speak of, are they Obinna, NDoye, Maicon and Caicedo?)

Sloosha

I miss Drogba.

Definitely. I'd love for him to be given some other properties to toy around with either by DC or one of the other publishers. Better yet, him letting loose with a creator-owned book.

Oh god, I'm down for a Bas-Lag Vertigo series.

arkon

Gala have Drogba anyway, we all remember his penalty in the CL final.

Also, "crucial penaltieS"? where does the plural come from? Other than the Chelsea game he has scored every other important penalty I remember. A 100th minute penalty against Espanyol to win the game, 2 out of 2 against Milan in the CL knockouts to win the game, 1 in the clasico to get the lead etc.

OK??

loooooooooooooool

Calm down, son.

The plural was referring to the hypothetical penalties that Galatasaray would be taking. I don't have a dossier on Messi's penalty record.

I am one of those people emailing him from New Zealand threatening the coach to not leave Loskov on the bench.

N'Doye up front and Loskov providing inch-perfect passes. Only an idiot wouldn't use that.

Zenit are playing Loko on the weekend. Knowing my luck, Loko will probably give Loskov a shot and he'll take a shit on us (An assist, and 2 free kick goals, one with each foot)

FootballFan

loooooooooooooool

Calm down, son.

The plural was referring to the hypothetical penalties that Galatasaray would be taking. I don't have a dossier on Messi's penalty record.

:lol <3

Zenit are playing Loko on the weekend. Knowing my luck, Loko will probably give Loskov a shot and he'll take a shit on us (An assist, and 2 free kick goals, one with each foot)

Remind me the day before. I'll watch it. We will turn this thread back into it's glory days of Russian Football talk.

Remind me the day before. I'll watch it. We will turn this thread back into it's glory days of Russian Football talk.
You're actually quite lucky, it will be at a manageable time for you! It will be at 9:30 pm, your time on Friday.

(The 4 forwards you speak of, are they Obinna, NDoye, Maicon and Caicedo?)

Yeah except sometimes Pavlyuchenko is in there as well. And Samedov plays so far up the pitch that he's basically a forward as well. Loko play a 4-2-4 now.

FootballFan

You're actually quite lucky, it will be at a manageable time for you! It will be at 9:30 pm, your time on Friday.

But you said it's this weekend. If it's on a saturday/Sunday for you how can it be on Friday for me?

Cause you know when it's Friday here, it's Thursday in your place.

Or is the weekend from Thursday to Sunday for Russians?

But you said it's this weekend. If it's on a saturday/Sunday for you how can it be on Friday for me?

No wonder you New Zealand folks don't like football, you can't watch it live unless you wake up at 5 am on most matches.

Yeah lol I got it wrong, It's 9:30 PM Saturday for you. Knew the time difference between you and me was 5 hours, I just went in the wrong direction. 5 hours behind, 19 hours ahead, what's the difference? :p

FootballFan

No wonder you New Zealand folks don't like football, you can't watch it live unless you wake up at 5 am on most matches.

Yeah most matches are usually from 11pm-6am.

CL football is at 6.45 am here. lol

tbh Kiwi's do like football more now. Especially after the legendary undefeated campaign.

Yeah lol I got it wrong, It's 9:30 PM Saturday for you. Knew the time difference between you and me was 5 hours, I just went in the wrong direction. 5 hours behind, 19 hours ahead, what's the difference? :p

lol. Big difference.

You guys need your own Canadian Clasico. Maybe against Toronto FC would be a nice fit? Calgary needs a team, Vancouver vs Calgary would make a good one.

You guys need your own Canadian Clasico. Maybe against Toronto FC would be a nice fit?

You guys need your own Canadian Clasico.

You guys.

You guys.
You're doing this on purpose now aren't you?

You're Canadian, deal with it. Stop that Russian cover thing.

It's just a Canadian thing. When I went there, everyone I talked to said they were [insert random nationality here] even though they were clearly Canadian citizens as well. It's almost as if they're ashamed of being Canadian.

feel

Barca going out tomorrow and first Dark Souls 2 gameplay! OMG what a day!! (Very high chance of colossal disappointment from both)

Top Bottom