• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT17| Jordan Henderson for Ballon d'Or

Wilbur

Banned
Draw? Madrid is way behind in La Liga. And if we win the CL there can be no discussion, Messi > Ronnie this season.

Liverpool way behind in PL, Suarez shouldn't win best player. Chelsea won CL, Torres best player.

I mean, of course there's an argument for Messi being better than Ronaldo this season, but I genuinely think they've been as good as each other. Ronaldo has scored in every crunch match this season. Two in Turkey, two against United, scored against City and Dortmund in the groups, scored a bunch against Barca... he's proven it where it matters. Time and time again.

Salazar

Dan Roan ‏@danroan 18m
Just asked Roy Hodgson if it's possible he may turn to David Beckham for England. 'Possible but unlikely' sums up his answer.

:lol

the fuck is this man doing near any managerial position

Linius

Liverpool way behind in PL, Suarez shouldn't win best player. Chelsea won CL, Torres best player.

I mean, of course there's an argument for Messi being better than Ronaldo this season, but I genuinely think they've been as good as each other. Ronaldo has scored in every crunch match this season. Two in Turkey, two against United, scored against City and Dortmund in the groups, scored a bunch against Barca... he's proven it where it matters. Time and time again.

Yeah, I didn't mean it that black and white. But Messi was very important for Barca this year and made sure we can take La Liga and still can dream about the CL. So if there would have been a race between Ronnie and Messi, Messi would be slightly ahead on him now :p

Wilbur

Banned
:lol

the fuck is this man doing near any managerial position

Such a spenk. Can't believe I ever felt sorry for Liverpool, but having him in charge made me do that.

Yeah, I didn't mean it that black and white. But Messi was very important for Barca this year and made sure we can take La Liga and still can dream about the CL. So if there would have been a race between Ronnie and Messi, Messi would be slightly ahead on him now :p

Oh of course, he's been incredible. He's the best player in the world and he's won you game after game. But Barcelona are the better team than Real Madrid overall, and Ronaldo's still scored a fuckload of goals, scored 11 in the Champions League against some very good teams, none of them are penalties, and scored some crucial crucial goals against Barcelona. Unbeaten this season against you aren't they? I think this might be his best season ever in terms of individual football; maybe not goals, but he's taken a step up this season.

Requeim

This was great.

xb2DUj7.jpg

That was my first football game. Amazing game, sliding tackles everywhere

3Sixty

The Football Association's new director of elite development Dan Ashworth has named seven players he feels will be the future of English football.

Ashworth picks out England squad members Jack Wilshere, 21, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, 19, and Danny Welbeck, 22.

Rising stars Wilfried Zaha, 20, Thomas Ince, 21, Raheem Sterling, 18, and Luke Shaw, 17, are also identified.

Lol Welbeck

Linius

Such a spenk. Can't believe I ever felt sorry for Liverpool, but having him in charge made me do that.

Oh of course, he's been incredible. He's the best player in the world and he's won you game after game. But Barcelona are the better team than Real Madrid overall, and Ronaldo's still scored a fuckload of goals, scored 11 in the Champions League against some very good teams, none of them are penalties, and scored some crucial crucial goals against Barcelona. Unbeaten this season against you aren't they? I think this might be his best season ever in terms of individual football; maybe not goals, but he's taken a step up this season.

We won at home in the supercopa. And Ronaldo scored four CL goals against Ajax, that hurts :(

But indeed, he's an amazing player of course.

Wilbur

Banned
Welbeck hate is absurd. Last year he scored 12 in 39, which is entirely respectable considering he was third/fourth choice and young. This year he's improved massively as a player but his goal tally has suffered, all the while playing wide and deep, being told to do marking jobs on players. Genuinely, his performances against Madrid were great. Don't know how it looked to non-United fans, but they were two of my favourite individual performances this season.

Daniel Nii Tackie Mensah "Danny" Welbeck will win the Ballon d'Or #fact

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The Football Association's new director of elite development Dan Ashworth has named seven players he feels will be the future of English football.

Ashworth picks out England squad members Jack Wilshere, 21, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, 19, and Danny Welbeck, 22.

Rising stars Wilfried Zaha, 20, Thomas Ince, 21, Raheem Sterling, 18, and Luke Shaw, 17, are also identified.

Lol Welbeck

A spine of Butland - Caulker - Wilshire - Zaha, looks pretty good. Not good enough to win anything but better than what we have now.

Feorax

Welbeck hate is absurd. Last year he scored 12 in 39, which is entirely respectable considering he was third/fourth choice and young. This year he's improved massively as a player but his goal tally has suffered, all the while playing wide and deep, being told to do marking jobs on players. Genuinely, his performances against Madrid were great. Don't know how it looked to non-United fans, but they were two of my favourite individual performances this season.

Daniel Nii Tackie Mensah "Danny" Welbeck will win the Ballon d'Or #fact

I think his role in the squad has made him look worse than he is this season, coupled with a couple of notable mistakes (that every player has). I think he needs to be the main man for a little while though, to aid his development further, and he certainly won't get that with RVP, Rooney, and possibly now Falcao around.

Maybe it might be a good idea to loan him to another PL club next season? West Brom have worked wonders with Lukaku.

Wilbur

Banned
Seriously, have to point this out again.

Jack Wilshere, 21

Won nothing in the game yet, injured/in rehab for a year

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, 19

Sits on Arsenal's bench because of Theo Walcott, Gervinho and Olivier Giroud

Wilfried Zaha, 20

Championship, done nothing at the top level

Thomas Ince, 21

Championship, done nothing at the top level and his dad's a cunt

Raheem Sterling, 18

Season fizzled out after a promising start

Luke Shaw, 17

Dropped for Danny Fox, supports fucking Chelsea

3SIXTY PLS

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm fairly confident Butland won't make it.

I'm sure once he start training with Robert 'Huth' Hoof and Ryan Shawcross everyday, he will improve.

Hart is still so young that he'll be playing for the next 10 years anyway.

K1LLER7

United Bros, I've got a feeling Balague's messing with us. Didn't he say before that United will sign Silva and Villa? Look how that worked out.

Wilbur

Banned
A spine of Butland - Caulker - Wilshire - Zaha, looks pretty good. Not good enough to win anything but better than what we have now.

Hart's better than Butland.

Hart; Walker/Jones, Smalling/Jones, Caulker, Shaw; Wilshere, Cleverley, Henderson; Oxlade-Chamberlain, Welbeck, Zaha/Ince

Pretty good on paper. I've probably forgotten a few.

Was Hart better for Birmingham than he's been for City?

Probably, although he maybe stood out more because he had more saves to make.

I think his role in the squad has made him look worse than he is this season, coupled with a couple of notable mistakes (that every player has). I think he needs to be the main man for a little while though, to aid his development further, and he certainly won't get that with RVP, Rooney, and possibly now Falcao around.

Maybe it might be a good idea to loan him to another PL club next season? West Brom have worked wonders with Lukaku.

Went on loan to Sunderland and was good there if I remember rightly. I do think that his decision making and finishing needs to improve massively, but he's shown for us last season and for England recently that he can finish. We're not getting Falcao :lol, and there's every possibility Rooney might go, so hopefully he gets more chances up front, but people thinking he's a poor footballer really confuses me.

Wonder if Chelsea will farm Lukaku back out on loan again. Surely they'll want Falcao/Cavani, cut their losses with Torres and they'll still have Ba around.

Feorax

Wonder if Chelsea will farm Lukaku back out on loan again. Surely they'll want Falcao/Cavani, cut their losses with Torres and they'll still have Ba around.

I'll be stunned if Torres is still there next season. Especially if Mourinho comes back, there is no way he'll put up with Torres' shit.

I know we've seen glimpses of good play recently, but we've been here before. Truth is that Torres is never coming back.

EDIT: feel a bit sorry for Butland, signed for a PL club from the Championship in Jan, and now (with any luck) Stoke could go down.

Salazar

United Bros, I've got a feeling Balague's messing with us. Didn't he say before that United will sign Silva and Villa? Look how that worked out.

K1LLER pls

I don't want to have to put you on my duration-of-the-transfer-window ignore list with Clegg and Chelsea-GAF.

Meier

Incorrect. In the Marca article it is supposed they'd let him go for less than the release clause to avoid RM coming in for him.

Why in the world would that make any difference? If RM offers €55m/his release clause, they can activate it regardless if someone else has offered less. If they want him, they'll make a bid. That's completely silly and non-sensical. Every team who wants him will pay €55m because he is worth that.

So ..... we're going to be absolutely fucked up the arse tonight aren't we?

Or can Gylfi and Ade carry the team through?

Oh how I wish we had Ledley King on a night like this.

Why in the world would that make any difference? If RM offers €55m/his release clause, they can activate it regardless if someone else has offered less. If they want him, they'll make a bid. That's completely silly and non-sensical. Every team who wants him will pay €55m because he is worth that.

But they will take less from other suitors and they are clearly indicating that, which will induce them to bid. I think you're underestimating quite how much they don't want to sell their star player to their sworn rival.

Wilbur

Banned
So ..... we're going to be absolutely fucked up the arse tonight aren't we?

Or can Gylfi and Ade carry the team through?

Oh how I wish we had Ledley King on a night like this.

It's a tough one. Considering how Basel played last week then they're certainly primed to be stronger at home, but you've looked better away all season.

Top Bottom