• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT17| Jordan Henderson for Ballon d'Or

Gambit

YES THEY CAN :D Ribery / Robben / Müller and Gomez (!!!) are all great counter attacking players, add Neuer who can throw the ball easily past the midfield line and you have a great counter-attacking team. You usually don't see Bayern play like that because most opponents always keep 4-5 players back when they play Bayern, but Barca could be extremely vulnerable to Bayerns counters.

Matter of fact, that was Heynckes biggest adjustment after Van Gaal. He got rid of the boring horizontal Barca-like possession football and added tons of vertical elements.

I find it amusing that we both pointed out Gomez, and anticipated surprise.

Neuer's throws could be a great weapon that we haven't seen frequently enough. In 2010, I fantasised about our future keeper's throws to Robben which would inevitably lead to goals. (Alas, we had a different Robben back then).

bjaelke

Transfer Central TNC @TransferNewsCen
Bayern Munich have made Arsenal player Laurent Koscielny a top player on their transfer list, as Guardiola is a fan of him (Daily Mail)

wftKIvX.gif

Plasma

Banned
Bit nervous about playing Norwich the past couple of games we've gone into them thinking they'll be a push over and we've dropped points on both occasions.

Having Wilshere and Theo back will be a boost, hope we don't rush them back into the first team though, probably better to have them on the bench they'd make a better impact coming on in the last half hour if things aren't going too well. I'd guess Wilshere will start if Rosicky doesn't pass his fitness test though.

Wenger said it best in our prematch conference against Norwich that he doesn't consider Chelsea deserving of Europe this season because of their pathetic CL group stage results and Wenger's right.

Arsene should concentrate on his own team and lack of trophies for half of his time there rather than criticising others. Not to mention charging the highest ticket prices in the country, £123m in the bank yet a first team that lacks pretty much any quality outside of Wilshere, at least Roman actually goes to matches, Silent Stan probably isn't even sure what part of London Arsenal are in.

fuenf

I find it amusing that we both pointed out Gomez, and anticipated surprise.

Neuer's throws could be a great weapon that we haven't seen frequently enough. In 2010, I fantasised about our future keeper's throws to Robben which would inevitably lead to goals. (Alas, we had a different Robben back then).

hehe :) Neuer really could be the X-Factor in these two games.

Transfer Central TNC @TransferNewsCen
Bayern Munich have made Arsenal player Laurent Koscielny a top player on their transfer list, as Guardiola is a fan of him (Daily Mail)

wftKIvX.gif

I love how clueless English tabloids are about Bayern.

Lightning

Banned
Arsene should concentrate on his own team and lack of trophies for half of his time there rather than criticising others. Not to mention charging the highest ticket prices in the country, £123m in the bank yet a first team that lacks pretty much any quality outside of Wilshere, at least Roman actually goes to matches, Silent Stan probably isn't even sure what part of London Arsenal are in.
Insulting Arsene or Stan doesn't change the fact you are having an Europa campaign that is based on your failure in the group stages of the CL. It's an unjustified campaign and only highlights the PL teams, Chelsea's included, collective failure in Europe this season.

Bit nervous about playing Norwich the past couple of games we've gone into them thinking they'll be a push over and we've dropped points on both occasions.

Having Wilshere and Theo back will be a boost, hope we don't rush them back into the first team though, probably better to have them on the bench they'd make a better impact coming on in the last half hour if things aren't going too well. I'd guess Wilshere will start if Rosicky doesn't pass his fitness test though.
I'm fairly relaxed but not sure what to expect from Arsenal. The match will be tough and I'd prefer Mertesacker to be playing. Glad to have Theo and Jack back but hope neither are rushed so as we need to play 3 games this week and they all will be tough games.

Insulting Arsene or Stan doesn't change the fact you are having a Europa campaign that is based on your failure in the group stages of the CL. It's an unjustified campaign and only highlights the PL teams, Chelsea's included, collective failure in Europe this season.

Of course it doesn't, but at least we didn't just bomb out of it like City/United did last season (City not even wanting to be in it this season). I'd rather they went for it than not, a trophy is a trophy at the end of the day and i've never understood why the Europa League is so under-appreciated (except for the lack of financial incentives). The rules say 3rd in the group goes to the Europa League, if Ajax, Zenit, Benfica etc won it no-one would care about the champions league failure, it happens, hopefully it won't happen to us for a long time but as I said, a trophy is a trophy.

Lightning

Banned
Of course it doesn't, but at least we didn't just bomb out of it like City/United did last season (City not even wanting to be in it this season). I'd rather they went for it than not, a trophy is a trophy at the end of the day and i've never understood why the Europa League is so under-appreciated (except for the lack of financial incentives). The rules say 3rd in the group goes to the Europa League, if Ajax, Zenit, Benfica etc won it no-one would care about the champions league failure, it happens, hopefully it won't happen to us for a long time but as I said, a trophy is a trophy.
Of course a trophy is a trophy. It will look good on Rafa's CV. All that Wenger was pointing out was English clubs failure in Europe this season and that's what it is, a failure. Chelsea fit into this as well. You started the season in the CL end it in the Europa league. That's like starting a date with a hot, perfect body, blonde and ending the night with an ugly fat chick and saying well a dates, a date.

You started the season in the CL end it in the Europa league. That's like starting a date with a hot, perfect body, blonde and ending the night with an ugly fat chick and saying well a dates, a date.

Well, as long as you get laid what difference does it make?

Couldn't resist, sorry haha

Gambit

wow looks like heynckes will play Can, Shaq, Tymo, Rafinha, Gomez, Boateng, Contento and probably Hojbjerg.
fuck yes

Honestly, if I was Gomez I'd be insulted.

This will crush his self-confidence even more.

I get that he wants to give rest to some players and reward the benchies, but not all of them at once.

Lightning

Banned
Papers saying Wenger wants to force Podolski out of Arsenal in the summer. Podolski says he's fit so why is he not playing? Wtf Wenger Podolski is the best finisher we have in our squad.

I don't want him forced out but he will leave us if we don't give him game time. Bench Giroud and play Poldi!

FootballFan

Of course a trophy is a trophy. It will look good on Rafa's CV. All that Wenger was pointing out was English clubs failure in Eruope this season and that's what it is, a failure. Chelsea fit into this as well. You started the season in the CL end it in the Europa league. That's like starting a date with a hot, perfect body, blonde and ending the night with an ugly fat chick and saying well a dates, a date.

Europa League is a good trophy man. The bad date you speak of would be the carling cup or whatever it is called now.

Europa league is a fine lady. A trophy that Pep never managed to win with us, let that sink in.

Kyoufu

I do hate Liverpool.

I want them to get relegated, then come back, then get relegated again, then come back, then get relegated again, then come back, and then fuck off for good.

lol. Why do you hate them so much? I mean you're not even rivals really.

Feorax

lol. Why do you hate them so much? I mean you're not even rivals really.

I think he's just really bitter that he almost got rid of us in 2010, but we survived by a matter of hours :p. Would have been the best Christmas present ever amirite?

Besides, soon enough Fergie will retire, Moyes will take over and piss away the transfer money, and they'll be our rivals again fighting it out for 6th and 7th :).

Papers saying Wenger wants to force Podolski out of Arsenal in the summer. Podolski says he's fit so why is he not playing? Wtf Wenger Podolski is the best finisher we have in our squad.

I don't want him forced out but he will leave us if we don't give him game time. Bench Giroud and play Poldi!

Can he play on the right cutting in? If so, Brentan pls.

Lightning

Banned
Europa League is a good trophy man. The bad date you speak of would be the carling cup or whatever it is called now.

Europa league is a fine lady. A trophy that Pep never managed to win with us, let that sink in.
I'm not dissing the Europa league. It's about Chelsea, all the premier league clubs, Europe campaign failing that I am questioning. We've all failed to even make the semis in any of the competitions since Chelsea are there only because they got booted out at the group stage of the CL which is a failure and an embarrassment.

Is the Europa league worth winning since you're in it? Course it is. But it's the manner which Chelsea is in it, same goes for Benfica, that is questionable.

spidye

Honestly, if I was Gomez I'd be insulted.

This will crush his self-confidence even more.

I get that he wants to give rest to some players and reward the benchies, but not all of them at once.

Gomez needs every game he gets. he needs to get back in form.
I think he knows this himself and that's why he plays along. he's no drama queen like robben

Nah this one!

that's actually nice. not as good as brondby's but still nice

how much more bullshit will you take from that man?

sack Wenger and nick AVB from Tottenham.

I'm going to see our reserves' game today.
Wr5lQlg.png

They're playing SV Darmstadt 98, so a direct relegation competitor. We really need to win this to gain some ground (this is 3rd division, the highest you can go with reserves.)

settled on this:

Code:
Futebol, Inglaterra - Prem. League
Southampton - West Ham 
Resultado : Southampton (Quota : 1,75)

If our defence is playing anything like they were against Liverpool, you'll likely be disappointed here. Also, we'll have Carroll back. And Winston 'The Beast' Reid. I'm going for either 2-1 West Ham, or a score draw. We lost last time we played at St. Mary's, but thumped them 4-1 at home earlier this season, somewhere in between would suit me fine.

FootballFan

If our defence is playing anything like they were against Liverpool, you'll likely be disappointed here. Also, we'll have Carroll back. And Winston 'The Beast' Reid. I'm going for either 2-1 West Ham, or a score draw. We lost last time we played at St. Mary's, but thumped them 4-1 at home earlier this season, somewhere in between would suit me fine.

Rickie Lambert's April fools joke about joining/playing for the All Whites will have Reid pumped with anger.

Lambert won't know what hit him.

Mastadon

Banned
Starting The Following pilot. Hope it is not bogus.

It's pretty bad to be honest, you really have to suspend disbelief for large parts of the plot. Very interesting premise though, plus some brilliant acting from Purefoy.

Edit: The first couple of episodes are pretty good though.

you support Southampton?

i made the bet on form. out of the last 4 home fixtures, South lost to QPR but won vs City, Liverpool and Chelsea.

last 7 away matches for West Ham resulted in 5L, 1W and 1D (the W being vs Stoke).

i think Southampton got this.

edit: West Ham supporter, i see. you're a good guy, Bootay, but Southampton got this.

Top Bottom