• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT17| Jordan Henderson for Ballon d'Or

Liverpool fans how do you rate Rodgers first season in charge compared with Kenny Dalglish last season? And are you happy with this seasons progress and the likely outcome.

Better performances, more consistency, better transfers (not fantastic though,) promotes a healthier atmosphere I think.

Worse end result though if we end up 7th without reaching the quarters of any of the 3 cups we were in

Overall, I trust him to take us places more than I did Kenny after last season.

bjaelke

Starting XI: Reina, Enrique, Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Lucas, Henderson, Gerrard, Sturridge, Suarez, Coutinho.

Subs: Jones, Assaidi, Downing, Coates, Suso, Shelvey, Skrtel.

Blablurn

How can you blindly support every club that wants to have such a cunt on it's squad?

#fuckbayern

Van-Bommel-DW-Sport-Madrid.jpg

Starting XI: Reina, Enrique, Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Lucas, Henderson, Gerrard, Sturridge, Suarez, Coutinho.

Subs: Jones, Assaidi, Downing, Coates, Suso, Shelvey, Skrtel.

Ooh, first 11 for me if Suarez and Sturridge play their roles effectively. Suso instead of Sterling, interesting, especially with Reading's relatively slow fullbacks.

When is Kelly supposed to be back? Or is he done for the season?

Arnie

Liverpool fans how do you rate Rodgers first season in charge compared with Kenny Dalglish last season? And are you happy with this seasons progress and the likely outcome.

Far happier, because we've got a clear ethos now whereas before we were building in two minds (and going nowhere fast).

Say about Rodgers what you will, but he's got a vision. When he shipped out Carroll, people said we should've kept him around the squad and given him a chance. Suarez took the attacking responsibility on his shoulders, led the team from the front, and will likely be top scorer in the league. I put a huge amount of that down to Rodgers confidence in him. It was a big call to make, but ultimately the right one.

Then you've got Rodgers knowledge of incubating youth players, and how he's applying that to the club. Sterling and Suso signed long term contracts and began their career in the first team. Not just that but he won't be afraid to trust young players and play them if they're good enough, which is a great thing for the youth system.

And in terms of football played we've simply come so far since those first couple of months. I feel like with our new scouting team we'll sign the right players to fit a specific system, whereas under Kenny I felt like we were just buying shite for no reason. I don't know what system Charlie Adam and Andy Carroll fit, but I don't see it as a bright future for the club.

Still love Kenny though. I really, really do.

Lightning

Banned
It will come down to the last day, I guarantee it. Only this time, Martin Fulop won't be there to ride to your rescue. You'll see. YOU"LL ALL SEE
No not Newcastle away. Please not last game but if we drop points against QPR or Wigan like last year I will be fuming.

I support any team with Van Bommel!
Louis Van Gaal great man!

Fair enough Arnie. I feel you've been too inconsistent and I question whether the owners are going to give Rodgers the funds he needs to get the right players. Your squad still isn't that good if Suarez isn't firing on all cylinders.

Far happier, because we've got a clear ethos now whereas before we were building in two minds (and going nowhere fast).

Say about Rodgers what you will, but he's got a vision. When he shipped out Carroll, people said we should've kept him around the squad and given him a chance. Suarez took the attacking responsibility on his shoulders, led the team from the front, and will likely be top scorer in the league. I put a huge amount of that down to Rodgers confidence in him. It was a big call to make, but ultimately the right one.

Then you've got Rodgers knowledge of incubating youth players, and how he's applying that to the club. Sterling and Suso signed long term contracts and began their career in the first team. Not just that but he won't be afraid to trust young players and play them if they're good enough, which is a great thing for the youth system.

And in terms of football played we've simply come so far since those first couple of months. I feel like with our new scouting team we'll sign the right players to fit a specific system, whereas under Kenny I felt like we were just buying shite for no reason. I don't know what system Charlie Adam and Andy Carroll fit, but I don't see it as a bright future for the club.

Still love Kenny though. I really, really do.

Its a real shame that people on RAWK can't divorce people's opinion on Kenny as a manager from that of him as a person and contributor to the club

Do you reckon Kenny effectively tried to turn us into set-piece merchants? I see enough in Carroll to fit into a few systems, but a combo of him and Adam? How on earth was that ever going to work?

Slizz

I think Rodgers did a good job with what he had. Next year will be the telling year to see if all the players he signed are developing on course and Liverpool can stop the stagnant stretches of play they often have during a season.

Mastadon

Banned

I've been fairly impressed, he's exceeded my expectations in terms of implementing a proper, definable style of football into a team that had none for two years prior to his appointment. Some of the football we've produced has been wonderful. Obviously consistency has been an issue, but when you consider the players we were having to use in the first half of the season, it's hardly surprising. I think we're still the youngest side in the league on average.

Signings have been mostly good, and he's done much more with previous signings. Ill be interested to see what happens in terms of signings in the summer.

What do you think about Rodgers as an Arsenal fan?

I think Rodgers did a good job with what he had. Next year will be the telling year to see if all the players he signed are developing on course and Liverpool can stop the stagnant stretches of play they often have during a season.

We're fucked if Suarez leaves I think. Its all well and good getting a big sum to spend on a replacement, but that's useless if you have no bargaining chips like cup wins/Champions League/ridiculour wages

Slizz

We're fucked if Suarez leaves I think. Its all well and good getting a big sum to spend on a replacement, but that's useless if you have no bargaining chips like cup wins/Champions League/ridiculour wages

Yeah I completely forgot about the possibility of Suarez leaving...

Lightning

Banned
What do you think about Rodgers as an Arsenal fan?
I'm very happy because he's promoting what I love the most. Getting the best out of players and giving players a shot while playing very attractive football. I hope he gets the goalkeeping and defence sorted as that's been a major problem at certain points but I've been very happy with him. He's also knocked the antics out of Suarez and helped show what a superstar of a footballer he is and Liverpool have benefited greatly for it. Suarez has performed better and more consistently than RVP.

I honestly wish the owners of Liverpool would give him the money he needs to sort it out. You'll go places with him.

Convince Suarez you will be making a serious challenge at the CL spots and he'll stay guaranteed.

Monreal on the bench? No Szczesny in the squad? Walcott on the bench? Podolski on the bench again? Damn it Arsene what you playing at.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Chesney isn't even on the bench, might be off this summer.

I think you'll probably have 3 different keepers next season. Chesney has not developed at all since becoming first choice and the other two will never be good enough. Begovic or Mignolet will join for sure.

Mastadon

Banned
I think Suarez will give us another year in honesty. He genuinely seems to enjoy being here, whereas it was clear that Torres was unsettled when he left.

elseanio

Still pisses me off that we simply failed to turn up to the final until Carroll was introduced. He was fucking amazing for that last 30 minutes though, Terry just couldn't handle him at all. Bollocksed up our great chance though by both failing to put it in (great save though,) an failing to anticipate the possibility of the save and losing the oppurtunity to put it in on the rebound

My view that day, was convinced the ball went in!

LTWheels

I think Suarez will give us another year in honesty. He genuinely seems to enjoy being here, whereas it was clear that Torres was unsettled when he left.

I just hope that his family is so settled in that they don't want to move. There's quite a considerable South American contingent at the club. Hopefully that helps as well.

Anderson

Yeah, I edited my last post with that. Weird from Wenger.

And Monreal dropped when he's playing well? Strange team selection.

Maybe won't see chez for the rest of the season, he's definitely going backwards at the moment but he still very young, especially for a goalkeeper, so don't see wingers thinking behind this, I hope chez doesn't leave

L1NETT

Damn L33ds won. Think McDurm will be good for them, sadly.

Man, if Suarez does leave that will be a monumental blow to Liverpool. Without him, wouldn't be too harsh to call their squad pretty mid table, aside from Gerrard. But, I can't see him leaving at least now for another year. If they can build around him, they can push for Europa League easily.

Liverpool fucked without Suarez? Hardly. They'll just sign someone else.

Hmmm. Firstly, who. Secondly, he has been one if the best players in the league this year. Any team who have a huge hole to fill if he went.

Salazar

Dale Johnson ‏@dalejohnsonESPN 11m
Players one card away from two-match ban. Amnesty comes in on Monday.
Mbia, Shawcross, Lowton, Suarez, David Luiz, Perch and Gary Caldwell

loooooooool what a good list

LTWheels

Liverpool fucked without Suarez? Hardly. They'll just sign someone else.

Barca fucked without Messi? Absolutely.

If Torres was sold for £50m, Liverpool should be able to demand a ridiculous fee for Suarez. Prices of players are going to generally go up next season because of the increased Prem TV money. European clubs will know that the Prem has more money to spend. That's why if Suarez leaves we need to get as much as possible for his sell price.

Probably worth keeping Coates around and making Suarez an offer he can't refuse to extend his contract by a year. It would see us in good stead for next year, and make us a more attractive club for transfers.

@Sal, what does it mean by Amnesty comes in on Monday?

Top Bottom