• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT17| Jordan Henderson for Ballon d'Or

Kikarian

Boruc
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Of course it was. The ball wasn't though.

Auto-correct is so fucking annoying.

I think Stoke are going down. I just looked at their run-in and they play most of the bottom teams. If they lose a couple they are fucked.

Wilbur

Banned
Oh really, so Reading and QPR are out I'd say. And then there's gonna be a third team to join them.

Likely to be Villa I think, but hopefully Sunderland. Newcastle would be hilarious too.

They used to be my second team through my mum's side of the family, but I don't have any affinity whatsoever for them nowadays. Weird.

Totally love our starting eleven today.

Bittencourt, Schieber and Leitner should get as much playing time as possible the rest of this season.

L1NETT

"He's too good for you, he's too good for you, oh Nigel Adkins, He's too good for you"

Can't blame the team that much though. Every team who gets rid of their manager in the late period of the season always go down. Like Wolves replacing Mick Mac with the kitman.

Linius

Looking at the table tells me that it could almost be any club from Southampton to Aston Villa. The relegation battle is much more exciting than the title race :p

Wilbur

Banned
Nice goal. Reading are so Championship. Can see them tanking next year too.

I think they'll be alright. Good coach, some financial backing and parachute payments will help them more than the relegated teams this year. Wolves and Blackburn were a mess, and I'm not too sure what happened to Bolton.

If QPR can keep some of their stars and Harry, they'll probably come straight back up.

Wilbur

Banned
Lambert has named four strikers in Villa's starting lineup.

And none of them are Bent :lol

Who is it? Benteke, Weimann, Gabby and...?

Looking at the table tells me that it could almost be any club from Southampton to Aston Villa. The relegation battle is much more exciting than the title race :p

I think if Southampton win this, they're safe. In an ideal world Stoke would be going down, but I can't see Villa picking up a point there today.

Can't blame the team that much though. Every team who gets rid of their manager in the late period of the season always go down. Like Wolves replacing Mick Mac with the kitman.

I felt so sorry for Connor. He inherited a lazy team, and he clearly didn't even want to be manager, but was fucked over by the owner's lack of foresight in lining up a replacement before sacking McCarthy. Imagine feeling obliged to put that much of a weight on your shoulders

Linius

And Cardiff is coming up. Together with Hull or Watford and then a few others will fight for the last EPL ticket. Well, well.

Wilbur

Banned
Fuck, I'm nervous about Monday. I hope we fucking smash city.

Can see them being motivated as fuck. Even if we draw I'll be happy, will keep the gap at 15 and Mancini can't talk more shit about it not being a true reflection.

Fucking cunt.

I felt so sorry for Connor. He inherited a lazy team, and he clearly didn't even want to be manager, but was fucked over by the owner's lack of foresight in lining up a replacement before sacking McCarthy. Imagine feeling obliged to put that much of a weight on your shoulders

Shame because no one had a bad word to say about him. I assume he's back with McCarthy at Ipswich now?

Should never have sacked Mick. Proper solid manager in the Championship at least.

Wes

venison crêpe
And none of them are Bent :lol

Who is it? Benteke, Weimann, Gabby and...?

I think if Southampton win this, they're safe. In an ideal world Stoke would be going down, but I can't see Villa picking up a point there today.

Bowery, who was in League 2 last season:

-------------------- Guzan --------------------

Lowton ---- Vlaar ------ Baker ---- Bennett

----------- Westwood - Delph ---------------

Weimann - Bowery - Benteke - Agbonlahor

Wilbur

Banned
QPR and Wigan please.

Qpr and stoke at the very least for me

QPR and Reading are down, mangs. I definitely want Villa and Southampton to stay up, wouldn't mind Wigan and Newcastle, don't give a fuck about Sunderland and Norwich, and fuck Stoke.

And Cardiff is coming up. Together with Hull or Watford and then a few others will fight for the last EPL ticket. Well, well.

Cardiff have been notorious bottlers time and time again in the Champs, so I hope Watford beat them this weekend and they crumble, but its unlikely. Like I said earlier, Watford and one of Brighton/Forest would be nice, with Cardiff going up just because they're likely to now.

What's the official reason for the existence of parachute payments? In a way, doesn't it reward careless financial moves?

Obviously its needed with the way promoted clubs operate, but would it be needed if they operated within their means (which they'd have to do if they took it away)?

Genuine questions btw, I'm not saying 'fuck these little clubs being rewarded for throwing money about because they think they can mix it with the big boys'

Wilbur

Banned
Bowery, who was in League 2 last season:

-------------------- Guzan --------------------

Lowton ---- Vlaar ------ Baker ---- Bennett

----------- Westwood - Delph ---------------

Weimann - Bowery - Benteke - Agbonlahor

Vlaar back as well, sweet. Can't see Baker coping well with Jones though.

Brave from Lambert. Has to take the risk I suppose.

arkon

Definitely. I bet there are some absurd financial clauses if they do go down as well. Especially in contracts like Samba's and Remy's.

Will be good to see the fallout. Wonder if 'Arry will stick around for long if they do go down.

Clegg

I remember that some pundits rated De Gea and Chesney on the same level at the start of the season.

But while De Gea has improved over the course of the season Chesney has gotten worse and worse.

Linius

I must say your relegation system is harsh. Over here only one club goes out directly and two have to battle for their place trough a playoff system. Just like only the title winner from the second division goes straight up, the rest will have to fight for their tickets to the top league.

Wes

venison crêpe
Vlaar back as well, sweet. Can't see Baker coping well with Jones though.

Brave from Lambert. Has to take the risk I suppose.

Baker is actually really good. I like him more than Clark after seeing him this year. He made a clanger last week but at least it was agaisnt Liverpool rather than against teams around us.

What's the official reason for the existence of parachute payments? In a way, doesn't it reward careless financial moves?

Obviously its needed with the way promoted clubs operate, but would it be needed if they operated within their means (which they'd have to do if they took it away)?

Genuine questions btw, I'm not saying 'fuck these little clubs being rewarded for throwing money about because they think they can mix it with the big boys'

If they didn't then a lot of clubs wouldn't bother to spend money and try and compete when they come up.

arkon

Would be interested to know this as well.

L1NETT

I remember that some pundits rated De Gea and Chesney on the same level at the start of the season.

But while De Gea has improved over the course of the season Chesney has gotten worse and worse.

When was the last time Arsenal had a really good goalkeeper? Lehman? Never rated Almunia myself.

sohois

Because otherwise there would never be any teams that could stay up in the premier league. They'd come up with their championship budgets, spend nothing and go straight back down. Only stupid money clubs would have a chance.

Parachute payments give security to newly promoted teams that they can actually try to stay up, spend a bit of money and if it doesn't work out they aren't completely screwed by a massive wage bill.

Wilbur

Banned
Will be good to see the fallout. Wonder if 'Arry will stick around for long if they do go down.

He says he will. Can't see who in the PL will replace their manager with him if they stay up to be honest. Everyone's safe in their job apart from Pulis I think.

looooooool fucking hell

Ches is nothing more than average. Good shot stopper at times, but all over the place positionally and can't handle a defence.

Top Bottom