• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT19| LA DECIMATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPW

1929423_w2.jpg

lets see if any club buy him in the summer, he was great in cl

hgkmh6bs.jpg

drogba wins another trophy

Salvadora

Chelsea's biggest problem area is the same as United, Arsenal imo: all three need a good, physical midfielder.

They'll probably get one, unfortunately.

It's almost like the "sonic" cycle, we get CL football and do fuck all about it. I almost wish we didn't get it this year (As bad as that would be). I don't think it would make much of a difference though, Wenger would end up leaving but that's about it.

Gettin' sick of it tbh. We show no ambition whatsoever. Liverpool deserve it more than us.

MPW

"Would I do anything differently if I had the chance to do the past three years over again?" Mourinho said in response to one question. "I should have brought in Diego Lopez after my first year. We didn't do enough to sign him. It's a real shame.

how much would madrid get for casillas? 20m pounds?

Salvadora

"Would I do anything differently if I had the chance to do the past three years over again?" Mourinho said in response to one question. "I should have brought in Diego Lopez after my first year. We didn't do enough to sign him. It's a real shame.

how much would madrid get for casillas? 20m pounds?

He's an absolute drama queen. Arsenal should have bids lined up for Casillas and Villa in the summer. I'd well take 20m for him.

jtb

Banned

It's almost like the "sonic" cycle, we get CL football and do fuck all about it. I almost wish we didn't get it this year (As bad as that would be). I don't think it would make much of a difference though, Wenger would end up leaving but that's about it.

Gettin' sick of it tbh. We show no ambition whatsoever. Liverpool deserve it more than us.

Agreed. (Minus the Liverpool bit, fuck 'em.) Though, if there's some hope for us, it's that this will be the first summer in god knows how many years that none of our players will be linked with other clubs. Sure, it's a sign of how we've fallen, but if we can make CL and if (obviously this is the big if...) Wenger spends... we'll at least be improving for once, rather than constantly moving backwards.

MPW

lolwut?

since 92

• Chelsea £842m - 3 titles
• Man City £704m - 1 title
• L'pool £602m - 0 title
• United £532m- 13 titles

man utd spent the least amount and won the most titles lol

Salvadora

Agreed. (Minus the Liverpool bit, fuck 'em.) Though, if there's some hope for us, it's that this will be the first summer in god knows how many years that none of our players will be linked with other clubs. Sure, it's a sign of how we've fallen, but if we can make CL and if (obviously this is the big if...) Wenger spends... we'll at least be improving for once, rather than constantly moving backwards.

Sagna is going this summer, so we'll be left seeking a right back as Jenkinson is in no position to be first choice. Look how fast he solved the left back problems. Fuck Wenger/The board.

They know exactly what they need to do and they refuse to do it. It makes me want to pull my hair out.

Suen

I just read that Higuain could be a potential target for Arsenal this summer. Someone put a gun to my head.

FootballFan

Lopez or Casillas to Arsenal would be great :(

Casillas to Barca pls. Ramos too.

Casillas, Ramos, Hummels and Thiago Silva to Barca. Sell everyone else except Messi, Biscuit, Xavi, Iniesta and Puyol.

And Tello.

And Abidal, if he will be confirmed to be available next season.

MPW

Casillas, Ramos, Hummels and Thiago Silva to Barca. Sell everyone else except Messi, Biscuit, Xavi, Iniesta and Puyol.

And Tello.

ahahaha keep dreaming

Suen

It's almost meaningless to hope; Wenger will either go for some unproven, inexperienced keeper or Valdes. We're fucked either way.
Pretty much this. Instead of targeting a world-class GK or one that has shown to hold promising talent who do we target? A shit GK like Valdes. Instead of getting a world-class striker, at least as good as RVP or better who do some talk about? Higuain (who sadly imo is a better player than any of our current strikers). What other options do we prefer? Unproven people like you said....oh and of course shitty french players no one gives a fuck about, not even France. What a joke this club has become.

And Tello.

Would be among the biggest betrayaltons in La Liga if it ever happened, certainly worse than the Figo incident, especially if Casillas did it :lol.

FootballFan

Would be among the biggest betrayaltons in La Liga if it ever happened, certainly worse than the Figo incident, especially if Casillas did it :lol.

Well Casillas yes, Ramos not really. Don't forget he is a massive cunt. Would feel normal for him.

Suen

Dream summer would be Cesc returning home after realizing how fickle and empty Spanish life is, a star striker, and a keeper.
A defensive midfielder would be a nice addition too. If we could get that perhaps Arteta could play a more attacking role and I keep wondering how well the team would do on offense if he had that role.

jtb

Banned
Arteta is old and an inferior Xabi Alonso. I like him a lot, but... he's not the future of this team and was/is a stopgap for Wilshere.

Who I am getting a little worried about, tbh. He's been pretty average this season (which is to be expected after 13 months out), but what's really worrying is how fragile he seems to be. It was so fucking ridiculous for Wenger to play him so much during his breakthrough season; I worry he'll never be the player he could've been. Hopefully a summer of rest, recovery and a full pre-season will get him up and running again and he can put his fitness issues behind him.

not that it worked for Diaby... :(

Salvadora

Casillas won't be going anywhere, with Mou back in London he'll have nothing to fear.

And he would be certainly out of Arsenal's price range even if he were to leave, despite him being a keeper. Arsene is probably thinking of change down the back of the Sofa, along with Sir Szc.

Suen

Arteta is old and an inferior Xabi Alonso. I like him a lot, but... he's not the future of this team and was/is a stopgap for Wilshere.

Who I am getting a little worried about, tbh. He's been pretty average this season (which is to be expected after 13 months out), but what's really worrying is how fragile he seems to be. It was so fucking ridiculous for Wenger to play him so much during his breakthrough season; I worry he'll never be the player he could've been. Hopefully a summer of rest, recovery and a full pre-season will get him up and running again and he can put his fitness issues behind him.

not that it worked for Diaby... :(
But Arteta and Alonso were supposed to become great players together since their young days :(

About what you said of Wilshere, I've been worrying about that for a while now as well. The guy is basically Arsenal's gem and the way Wenger has handled him is fucking bad. He gets injured way too often and I do keep thinking if the club has basically fucked this guy's potential all over the place. Really hope summer will fix the problems but I don't want to expect too much :(

jtb

Banned
Casillas won't be going anywhere, with Mou back in London he'll have nothing to fear.

And he would be certainly out of Arsenal's price range even if he were to leave, despite him being a keeper. Arsene is probably thinking of change down the back of the Sofa, along with Sir Szc.

I have to believe he's done with Chesney after the wonderful run of form we've gone on without him. (I just hope his long term solution isn't Fabianski...)

while we're at it, fuck Vermaelen. He should be stripped of the captaincy (though not sold! because he is still better than Djourou or whatever other shitty backup defenders Wenger will undoubtedly bring in to replace him) and be forced to reflect on what a shitty defender he is.

But Arteta and Alonso were supposed to become great players together since their young days :(

About what you said of Wilshere, I've been worrying about that for a while now as well. The guy is basically Arsenal's gem and the way Wenger has handled him is fucking bad. He gets injured way too often and I do keep thinking if the club has basically fucked this guy's potential all over the place. Really hope summer will fix the problems but I don't want to expect too much :(

Yeah. The fans haven't turned on him yet, like they have with Ramsey, because everyone's still holding out hope. But we'll see. I can't say I'm particularly optimistic.

Suen

if Bale comes, yes
I'd really prefer if we keep him but if Bale comes Di Maria would get benched and I don't think he would be happy as a second-hand choice. Shame, guy might be inconsistent + average this season but he often makes up for it during his good days.

Timurid

My boy! Miss you over there. And it's a stupid clique thing :D

I LOVE N'Koulou. In all reality I think we'll try to hang on to him but there's always a chance given our recent financial...er...struggles.

I hope he goes to Monaco. :D

Next season is going to be good. Monaco coming back to top flight and their going to be on spending spree this summer. Maybe they can be challenging for Europa next season.

Suen

Players from Arse I think we should get rid of:

Sagna
Vermin
Giroud
Szcz
Fabianski
Vito
Gervi
Arshavin
Diaby

And others that I'm too lazy to mention. Does anyone remember Santos? What a hero.

heckfu

Banned
I hope he goes to Monaco. :D

Next season is going to be good. Monaco coming back to top flight and their going to be on spending spree this summer. Maybe they can be challenging for Europa next season.

a) it's nice to talk french football with another fan...hard to come by ligue 1 fans in the states.

b) you're describing what I wanted for Bastia this year. After such a promising start they really disappointed. But at least they won't be relegated!

Salvadora

Arteta was better in a more creative role. While I appreciate all the work he's done as a makeshift DM, he deserves so much better. Fans at large will never acknowledge all the work he's down quietly for Arsenal.
I have to believe he's done with Chesney after the wonderful run of form we've gone on without him. (I just hope his long term solution isn't Fabianski...)

while we're at it, fuck Vermaelen. He should be stripped of the captaincy (though not sold! because he is still better than Djourou or whatever other shitty backup defenders Wenger will undoubtedly bring in to replace him) and be forced to reflect on what a shitty defender he is.

Yeah. The fans haven't turned on him yet, like they have with Ramsey, because everyone's still holding out hope. But we'll see. I can't say I'm particularly optimistic.
Szc has been done for a while, if I'm being honest. I see no reason for him to be first choice or even second.

Vermaelen may need to be be sold (despite having no replacement). He has lost all semblance of quality or decision making and is a liability. Having him as our captain sends out a message that Arsenal 'come not to defend'. The man is a fool and is holding us back.

jtb

Banned
The thing about Vermaelen is that he also missed a full season. And, iirc, he was actually a pretty quality defender before the injury. There's bad luck with injuries, and then there's eight consecutive seasons of the squad in a constant state of injury crisis. I don't know what Wenger's fitness regimen is but it clearly isn't working.

I doubt Vermaelen will be sold in the summer if only because he's probably on huge wages and Arsenal are fucking terrible at selling the deadwood. Squillaci, Arshavin—you will not be missed.

Suen

The thing about Vermaelen is that he also missed a full season. And, iirc, he was actually a pretty quality defender before the injury. There's bad luck with injuries, and then there's eight consecutive seasons of the squad in a constant state of injury crisis. I don't know what Wenger's fitness regimen is but it clearly isn't working.

I doubt Vermaelen will be sold in the summer if only because he's probably on huge wages and Arsenal are fucking terrible at selling the deadwood. Squillaci, Arshavin—you will not be missed.
Forgot this guy existed :lol

Sell Vermaelen to Barca...or perhaps we can do something good for once and make Utd buy him! Wenger can tell Fergie that Vermaelen is better than what he think he is!

Seriously if we're gonna keep using Verm. as captain we might as well just bring back Santos and declare him as vice-captain and soon to become captain.

Salvadora

Vermaelen won't be sold because he's on a (recently signed) long term contract.

The deadwood should never be an either or situation. The likes of Arshavin and Squillaci/Santos/Park/God knows who else should be fucked off without a moments hesitation.

Either Arsenal sign perennially crocked players or we make them that way, I suspect the later. I don't understand how a multi-billion club can have the amount of injuries we've had over the seasons, I really don't. We should never have entered this season relying on the likes of Diaby.

FootballFan

Vermaelen won't be sold because he's on a (recently signed) long term contract.

The deadwood should never be an either or situation. The likes of Arshavin and Squillaci/Santos/Park/God knows who else should be fucked off without a moments hesitation.

Either Arsenal sign perennially crocked players or we make them that way, I suspect the later. I don't understand how a multi-billion club can have the amount of injuries we've had over the seasons, I really don't. We should never have entered this season relying on the likes of Diaby.

Sviat

u9v3LtL.gif

Timurid

a) it's nice to talk french football with another fan...hard to come by ligue 1 fans in the states.

b) you're describing what I wanted for Bastia this year. After such a promising start they really disappointed. But at least they won't be relegated!

Yup it's nice talking about french football with another fan in the states even if they support OMerde. :p

Bastia was doing well earlier in the season. Too bad they sold their most promising player to Lille...

I heard Monaco's chairman wants to spend 200 mil this summer. Also, I forgot about Nantes. Hopefully they come back up for next season.

I pray to god that Evian will get relegated this season. A bunch of dirty players they are.

sohois

It really is crazy just how many shockingly average players Arsenal have accrued and not gotten rid of. You could probably put out a whole 11 of international Arsenal rejects:

---Almunia---
?----?----Squillaci-Santos
Arshavin-Denilson-?-PCY
-----Bendtner-Chamakh

Not quite 11, but all Arsenal signings, all with a number of appearances at Arsenal - except Park - and all shit and still stuck at Arsenal (as far as I'm aware, haven't actually checked)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom