• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT19| LA DECIMATED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither Moyes or Mourinho were perfect choices. But I do think Moyes was a better choice than Mourinho.
It depends how you look at it and what you value most.

Mourinho is a better coach this far. Proved he can win things and deliver.

Moyes is likely to be a better custodian for the club.

IMO Mourinho would do some damage which would take a while to repair. For one he would bring in ALOT of his own back room staff and therefore get rid of alot of the existing staff. He would pay little attention to the youth teams. He would, if it came to it, vent his frustrations publically.

If Moyes can't deliver I think we can replace him fairly quickly and easily with another manager who we'd hope would do better and not lose out too much on the infrastructure and reputation of the club - but maybe that is naive.

But Mourinho would win more, quicker and most likely maintain the competitiveness of the club in the short term - think that's for sure.

Suen

That there is Jose's problem.

Dirty laundry out in public - did it at Chelsea at times too.

I agree with Can though, there is definitely an argument that a club like United should be seeking out the top level of proven talent. United are betting on principles with this appointment. It's a risk.
Mou doesn't always spread the best image around him and does create problems when not needed but players need to realize that their stardom isn't worth shit in front of the entire club. The internal problems are unnecessary and in this case it's more the fault of the players than Mou as they (and their connections to the media) are the ones making a big deal about Casillas being benched.

"Oh no our last homegrown Madrid boy is benched! Kick Mou!!". Fucking cry me a river, these guys are stuck in the La Quinta del Buitre era.

GolazoDan

History is what it is, and if history is used to exemplify why Moyes is the right choice then history should also be used to exemplify why he isn't.

Without history, nobody can make a compelling argument for 10 years with 0 titles.
When people are talking about history they're not talking about managers that got us relegated from the second division in between World Wars. It's just a point about character, I suppose. Easy connection for the media to make too.

Salazar

I would fear what Mourinho would do at a club like United, following on from Fergie, if it all started to go tits up. He'd kill half the reserve team and loan the rest out to QPR (arguably worse). I do not trust that man's madness.

Aye.

The Real bullshit is certainly not wholly of his manufacture, though.

Casillas and Ramos and all those other preening twats constantly shitting out and eating up garbage about the nobility and dignity and supremacy of the club and its wonderful pre-dinosaur age ethos: it's just a fucking absurdity. Bellends stroking each other's faces on the pitch and telling each other they are heroes. Heroes of Spain.

Cockends. Festering cockends.

Wilbur

Banned
It depends how you look at it and what you value most.

Mourinho is a better coach this far. Proved he can win things and deliver.

Moyes is likely to be a better custodian for the club.

IMO Mourinho would do some damage which would take a while to repair. For one he would bring in ALOT of his own back room staff and therefore get rid of alot of the existing staff. He would pay little attention to the youth teams. He would, if it came to it, vent his frustrations publically.

If Moyes can't deliver I think we can replace him fairly quickly and easily with another manager who we'd hope would do better and not lose out too much on the infrastructure and reputation of the club - but maybe that is naive.

Moyes will be a better custodian but I just don't think its that much of a slight that Moyes hasn't won anything. Birmingham have won a cup, sure. But that was because a) it was against fucking Arsenal and b) fucking Arsenal fucked up colossally. No one would argue Birmingham were a better team than Everton that season, they got relegated if I remember correctly. So the domestic cup thing isn't too much of a problem for me. We haven't won the FA Cup since 2004, its never a barometer of best team in the country.

The league, Everton finishing 6th with Everton is a superb achievement, but of course you know that. He was never going to win the league with Everton, so he's done the best he could possibly do. I have total faith.

Fergie picked him after all. Unless he turns out to be the ultimate Djemba-Djemba, we'll be fine.

Suen

Aye.

The Real bullshit is certainly not wholly of his manufacture, though.

Casillas and Ramos and all those other preening twats constantly shitting out and eating up garbage about the nobility and dignity and supremacy of the club and its wonderful pre-dinosaur age ethos: it's just a fucking absurdity. Bellends stroking each other's faces on the pitch and telling each other they are heroes. Heroes of Spain.

Cockends. Festering cockends.
Thanks, basically this. They are riding on past glory of the club.

Clegg

Fergie staying on as a director will be both a help and a hindrance to Moyes. He'd obviously rely on Fergie to help with the transition of becoming manager of one of the worlds biggest clubs. But if United start getting bad results it would only be a matter of time before some fans and media hacks start calling for Fergie to be put back in charge.

Moyes will be a better custodian but I just don't think its that much of a slight that Moyes hasn't won anything. Birmingham have won a cup, sure. But that was because a) it was against fucking Arsenal and b) fucking Arsenal fucked up colossally. No one would argue Birmingham were a better team than Everton that season, they got relegated if I remember correctly. So the domestic cup thing isn't too much of a problem for me. We haven't won the FA Cup since 2004, its never a barometer of best team in the country.

The league, Everton finishing 6th with Everton is a superb achievement, but of course you know that. He was never going to win the league with Everton, so he's done the best he could possibly do. I have total faith.

Fergie picked him after all. Unless he turns out to be the ultimate Djemba-Djemba, we'll be fine.
I don't know, it's a concern for me.

Knowing how to win, how to deal with the pressure when you get near the finishing line - all of that, Moyes hasn't got any experience of that. There's no substitute for it.

I think he will do well too, but you have to admit it is a bit of a gaping hole on the CV of a man who is about to become manager of one of the worlds top clubs.

GolazoDan

I do get the impression that Casillas tried to do a bit of a Shearer vs. Gullit. Unfortunately instead of getting done in by Quinn and Phillips they signed Lopez who's a pretty good keeper himself.

Wilbur

Banned
Casillas is a prick but unfortunately none of the media will stop their Saint Iker bullshit.

I don't know, it's a concern for me.

Knowing how to win, how to deal with the pressure when you get near the finishing line - all of that, Moyes hasn't got any experience of that. There's no substitute for it.

I think he will do well too, but you have to admit it is a bit of a gaping hole on the CV of a man who is about to become manager of one of the worlds top clubs.

Yeah of course I'll admit it. I'm nervous, definitely. But I just think realistically, the choices were Moyes and Mourinho. Klopp wouldn't have come, Pep was tied up. Is there anyone else you would have been happy with taking the job, considering only the other day you said you didn't want Mou?

Kyoufu

Moyes is in such a strange position.

If he wins trophies, then the credit will go to the foundation built by Frogson.

If he doesn't win anything, he's going to get so much stick. He has to compete with Mourinho and his blank cheque next season + Mancini with a reinvigorated Man City squad hungry for success.

LOL Moyes is so fucked.

Real Madrid players are all idiots. They put themselves above the club by not respecting the manager.

I hope Moyes doesn't bring Afro to the club. He would play him behind the striker and take away Shinji's best position. If he was a squad player, I would love to have him for tactical reasons but no way would that ever happen. As for Mou, I don't want him because he would make too many squad changes.

Clegg

If Mourinho became United manager it would only be a matter of time before he had a public falling out with Rooney.

Fergie gets a lot of stick over his short temper but he deserves credit for the way he's handled Rooney over the last few years.

Dibbz

BJ2W2jGCIAEaWZl.jpg

The curse

yeah they won trophies hur hur fuck off :(

jtb

Banned

If he wins trophies, then the credit will go to the foundation built by Frogson.

If he doesn't win anything, he's going to get so much stick. He has to compete with Mourinho and his blank cheque next season + Mancini with a reinvigorated Man City squad hungry for success.

LOL Moyes is so fucked.

fucked? i like to call it brave #RESPECT

GolazoDan

LOL Moyes is so fucked.
If City keep Mancini we'll do them in for all time.

Remember when Mancini tried to batter Moyes and Moyes was like WHAT.

Fintan

LOL Moyes is so fucked.

I don't know about this, I think he'd get his fair share of the credit. But yeah, Fergie was always going to be a difficult act to follow!

Wilbur

Banned
Duncan Castles article. While I think Mou is being too full on with some of his shit, he's the best manager around and Madrid would be fools to choose him over Casillas, if you ask me. But they are fools so...

Jose Mourinho is offering Real Madrid a final chance to retain his services as manager. As a condition of continuing at the Santiago Bernabéu, the multiple Champions League-winning coach wants the club to “clean” itself of a series of structural problems that have seriously handicapped his efforts to deliver its 10th European Cup.

Over the past week, Mourinho has intentionally given a series of inflammatory press conferences since his team was narrowly eliminated from this year’s Champions League by Borussia Dortmund — its third consecutive semifinal under his management. Though his pointed criticism of club captain Iker Casillas, disaffected defender Pepe, and the Spanish media have been portrayed as an attempt to lever his own exit to the Premier League, Mourinho’s strategy is not so one-dimensional.

“Jose is doing what he needs to do to clean the cancers from this club,” said a source close to Mourinho. “He is laying everything out in the open and letting Madrid make a decision: Do they want to fix what has held them back year after year, or do they want to continue as they are with individuals who believe they are more important than the club?”

Never fondly received by the Spanish press, Mourinho has been the subject of virulent criticism for his perceived assaults on the club in recent days. He has explained the reasons for his mid-season axing of Casillas, a favored son of the Madrid media, stating that he regrets not insisting on the recruitment of Diego Lopez as the Spain number one’s replacement in his first summer at the club.

“I like Diego Lopez as a goalkeeper more than Casillas,” added Mourinho ahead of this Wednesday’s comprehensive defeat of Malaga. “It’s not personal. I just like him more. I like a goalkeeper that comes out and dominates the airspace and plays with his feet. Iker is fantastic under the posts and I can also say that he likes a coach like [Vicente] Del Bosque or with a different profile more.”

When Pepe critiqued his coach’s handling of a player he described as “an institution for both Real Madrid and Spain” Mourinho laid bare the Portugal international’s anger at losing his starting place to young French central defender Raphael Varane. “Pepe’s problem is easy to analyze,” said Mourinho. “His name is Varane. You don’t have to be a genius, just a normal guy like me, to understand that we’re talking about frustration. It’s not easy for a player to see how he’s outperformed by a 19-year-old kid, but the kid is fantastic. I have to try to be honest, and most people think that Real Madrid’s defensive future is Varane and [Sergio] Ramos.”Discussing his relationship with the press, Mourinho defended a decision to remove reporters’ access to training sessions and club flights. “That I don’t play your favorite children is right,” he added before pointedly referring to problems that “exist when one player believes that he’s above the rest”.

After ending Pep Guardiola’s storied era of success at Barcelona in his second season with the ‘Liga of Records’ Spanish title and re-establishing Madrid as a Champions League force following six years without a single quarterfinal, Mourinho is confident he will deliver them that competition if the club’s hierarchy gathers the strength to support his reforms. Should he not receive that backing, the 50-year-old will move elsewhere.

While Mourinho’s strategy will be labeled as egotistical in some quarters, it is not a case of the coach selfishly wanting his way. His argument is that Madrid — the world’s most affluent football club — will never achieve its proper potential until the basic structural issues he highlights have been properly addressed. As ever, his fundamental focus is on-field success.

The Madrid hierarchy’s basic stance with Mourinho is that they want him to continue as manager next season, yet such is the institutional change required to meet his demands for reform, and so virulent has been some of the opposition to him, that a summer divorce remains the most likely outcome. The former Chelsea manager has regularly talked of his intention to work in the Premier League again and has significant personal reasons for pursuing a return to Stamford Bridge, with his family already committed to a London move.

There remains, however, no contractual deal with Chelsea for his own return and major questions remain over how much authority Roman Abramovich would allow him in such a role. A €40million exit clause in a Madrid contract that runs until 2016 would also require to be negotiated away before Mourinho could leave the Bernabéu.

Casillas is a prick but unfortunately none of the media will stop their Saint Iker bullshit.

Yeah of course I'll admit it. I'm nervous, definitely. But I just think realistically, the choices were Moyes and Mourinho. Klopp wouldn't have come, Pep was tied up. Is there anyone else you would have been happy with taking the job, considering only the other day you said you didn't want Mou?
Tbh I really don't know who I wanted for this job - and whilst I'm happy with Moyes IMO he isn't some sort of outstanding candidate.

If Mourinho became United manager it would only be a matter of time before he had a public falling out with Rooney.

Fergie gets a lot of stick over his short temper but he deserves credit for the way he's handled Rooney over the last few years.
Ill be really annoyed if he's still at the club at the end of the summer. Needs to fucking get out.

jtb

Banned
It seems like Mourinho's exit clause gets bigger and bigger every day. It was 20m a couple days ago, now it's 40m? He's just begging to be fired.

Wilbur

Banned
Tbh I really don't know who I wanted for this job - and whilst I'm happy with Moyes IMO he isn't some sort of outstanding candidate.

In dreamland, I would have taken Klopp, but he would have had to learn English, hasn't got that much experience, is very flavour of the month, so I don't know if it would have been the absolute wisest choice.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Rome btw! Need to go someday.

Kyoufu

In dreamland, I would have taken Klopp, but he would have had to learn English, hasn't got that much experience, is very flavour of the month, so I don't know if it would have been the absolute wisest choice.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Rome btw! Need to go someday.

Klopp speaks good English bro.

Clegg

Ill be really annoyed if he's still at the club at the end of the summer. Needs to fucking get out.
If Rooney really wants to leave then it depends on the offers we receive.

£25-30m from a team like Bayern or PSG and we'd probably sell. No way we'd let him go to Chelsea or City.

Klopp knows English pretty well actually. And he's been a manager for 12 years now...

Wilbur

Banned
Viera, Henry, Cesc, RVP....Vermaelen lol. What a drop off in quality.

Vermaelen is so fucking shit. The delusion of him being a good defender as he scored goal upon goal and I was fucking perplexed is long gone. I feel justified. Was so frustrating watching him get all the praise when he was making basic errors in every match.

Vertonghen is like a marginally less free scoring Vermaelen but a better defender. Looked tired recently though.

There's no way Mourinho can stay at Madrid.

Just no way that happens.

Yeah, agreed. Would be a good chance for Perez to say 'well the club comes first', but of course Mou will go, Casillas will be back in the team despite Lopez not doing much wrong, there will be no conflict and strife because everyone will be happy to suck the players dicks, and Barcelona will go on dominating.

Wilbur

Banned
Man, Pires was so good. Arsenal were so good.

So good. Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Ljungberg, Petit, Vieira, Adams, Campbell, Cole, Seaman, Lehmann, Gilberto, Fabregas, RVP... what happened? What happened, Arsenal?

Wenger deserves better.

Klopp knows English pretty well actually. And he's been a manager for 12 years now...

I meant specifically in the PL, soz didn't mention it. And didn't know about the English thing buuuuuuuuuuut yeah. He's clearly a fantastic manager, but it will be interesting to see how he does when this Dortmund team gets gutted, much like how I would have liked to see Pep stay on and see how he reacts to Madrid winning last year.

At least with Moyes he's reacted to losing players and come back strong every year.

I meant specifically in the PL, soz didn't mention it. And didn't know about the English thing buuuuuuuuuuut yeah. He's clearly a fantastic manager, but it will be interesting to see how he does when this Dortmund team gets gutted, much like how I would have liked to see Pep stay on and see how he reacts to Madrid winning last year.

At least with Moyes he's reacted to losing players and come back strong every year.

Well he got his Mainz team relegated, then the next year failed to get promoted back up and then resigned...lol

Wilbur

Banned
Well he got his Mainz team relegated, then the next year failed to get promoted back up and then resigned...lol

dodged a bullet, shit manager

Moyes finished seventh with Everton, then seventeeth, then sold Rooney and finished fourth.

VULVA PLS HE'S A GENIUS

dodged a bullet, shit manager

Moyes finished seventh with Everton, then seventeeth, then sold Rooney and finished fourth.

VULVA PLS HE'S A GENIUS
Haha as I said I'm happy with Moyes but it just feels so weird not being 100% certain! With Fergie it was so easy to just have complete faith in him.

As has been said...this is what it feels like for fans of every other club...

Kyoufu

Haha as I said I'm happy with Moyes but it just feels so weird not being 100% certain! With Fergie it was so easy to just have complete faith in him.

As has been said...this is what it feels like for fans of every other club...

Fail to qualify for Champions League football, then you can say this.

Settle for mid-table mediocrity, then you can say this.

Flirt with relegation every season, then you can say this.

Get relegated, then you can say this.

Until then, you have absolutely no idea what it feels like to be a fan of any other club.

Slizz

Lol what? That has to happen first before we can't be 100% certain?

pulga

Banned

Until then, you have absolutely no idea what it feels like to be a fan of any other club.

Kyoufu pls

Go to sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom