• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather have Wanyama over Fellaini. Wanyama's cheaper and does pretty much the same job on the pitch compared to Fellaini. He's more mobile than Fellaini (which I'd argue is a very important attribute for that role) although he'll obviously not win as much in the air (although Wanyama is 188cm, so no slouch). Plus there's no danger that Moyes might get the idea to play Wanyama as an AMC.

Bo-Locks

Offload Rooney and buy Bale. That gives a net spend of around £10-20m and reduces our wage bill significantly. That leaves enough to buy one or two other players, including a CM. Fellaini, Strootman, Gundogan or Wanyama? Fast track JanuGOD into the first team squad. Zaha comes in. Fabio comes back which gives us good cover at both fullback positions which means going for Baines, as good as he is, wouldn't be worth it.

/Muppet

Started watching England Cricket. Yep, the summer is coming.

Offload Rooney and buy Bale. That gives a net spend of around £10-20m and reduces our wage bill significantly. That leaves enough to buy one or two other players, including a CM. Fellaini, Strootman, Gundogan or Wanyama? Fast track JanuGOD into the first team squad. Zaha comes in. Fabio comes back which gives us good cover at both fullback positions which means going for Baines, as good as he is, wouldn't be worth it.

/Muppet

I'd take this thanks.

Diablos54

Pray buddy pray. Your support of Wigan got them relegated and Newcastle's B team are going down.

Hopefully Everton draw with you so we take 3rd and you get qualifiers!
Haha, I know, poor Wigan. TBH, I don't see Newcastle winning, but I can and will hope until the very last!

Holy shit at the rumor about Monaco going after Vucinic. They're willing to play ... 30M€. Ahahahaha. It's bullshit, it must be, but if Darth Ranieri is staying, everything is possible.

darth-ranieri.png

30m? TAKE HIM NOW!

GorillaJu

Jonathan Noorcroft re-affirming on twitter that Reina is off ;_;

Brentan, ter Stegen plz!!

He sounds pretty convinced. Oh well, only thing we can do is wait. Lots of quality players available to replace him, but who will feasibly want to come to LFC?

Handanovic, Ter Stegen, Adler, Courtois

Of those, I guess maybe Handanovic might want a way out of his club. But something tells me Inter may not be keen to do business with us after we took Coutinho off their hands for 8 million...

Ugh, please don't get rid of Downing, Brendan. He may not be a Messi, but he's been really good at helping to aid in defense, put in some good goals and assists for us... if nothing else he's worth keeping as a back-up. But I suppose he may not be interested in that. He'd definitely be the best player at Stoke if he went...

30m? TAKE HIM NOW!

Have you noticed that Monaco have become the favoured team to dump your expensive strikers that you don't want but also don't want anyone else to have?

As far as I can see Monaco ain't signing anyone until their tax dispute is resolved. At this rate they may not even be promoted to Ligue 1.

Salvadora

He sounds pretty convinced. Oh well, only thing we can do is wait. Lots of quality players available to replace him, but who will feasibly want to come to LFC?

Of those, I guess maybe Handanovic might want a way out of his club. But something tells me Inter may not be keen to do business with us after we took Coutinho off their hands for 8 million...

Ugh, please don't get rid of Downing, Brendan. He may not be a Messi, but he's been really good at helping to aid in defense, put in some good goals and assists for us... if nothing else he's worth keeping as a back-up. But I suppose he may not be interested in that. He'd definitely be the best player at Stoke if he went...

would you make a move for César?

Ter Stegen is going to end up at Barce I think and Courtois isn't really an option. He'll be back at Athletico next season and even if he isn't, theres no way we will sell especially to an English club.

Could see Handanovic perhaps, although did Brendan work with McCarthy at Reading? If so, can definitely see that being pretty much nailed on. Would go with his philosophy too

Well, I fucking hope not. I actually like Cesar, but that would be the least exciting goalkeeper signing ever.

Goalkeepers don't need to be exciting signings, they just need to be good at their job. Typical example, Jääskeläinen for West Ham. Not exciting by anyone's standard but he's been a quality signing. We'd have been in deep shit without him.

Liverpool just need to build a strong, solid team. Champion's League aspirations should die now as United, City and Chelsea going forward will solidify. Chelsea for example will shore up the gaps. They hobbled on this season without a reliable striker. Tottenham and Arsenal are better sides and have been so for a while.

IMO Liverpool should not aim for Champions League for a while. They need a gradual build. They can't compete financially with City or Chelsea, and Arsenal and United attract better talent. Its a project at Anfield.

GorillaJu

Ter Stegen is going to end up at Barce I think and Courtois isn't really an option. He'll be back at Athletico next season and even if he isn't, theres no way we will sell especially to an English club.

Could see Handanovic perhaps, although did Brendan work with McCarthy at Reading? If so, can definitely see that being pretty much nailed on. Would go with his philosophy too

McCarthy isn't ready to be a No 1 at a big club. I wouldn't mind him coming in as a back-up, since he really does seem to be an excellent shot stopper.

Courtois is the least likely of any of those I named, for sure. But he's one of the best young goalkeepers out there, so I could imagine we're interested regardless of how unlikely it'd be.

The thing with Ter Stegen is that if Pepe goes to Barca, clearly Ter Stegen won't. Not that Monchengladbach would like to sell to anyone, but he's got the quality to be a first team keeper. Handanovic, I think would be a worthy bet, from those I listed.

Mignolet is great, and Begovic is quite good as well - but would either of those come at a price Liverpool is willing to pay for a GK? Sunderland would ask for a staggering amount, and Begovic probably isn't worth what Stoke would ask, either.

Arnie

As sad as it'll be to see Reina say goodbye, I've said my own personal goodbye to him numerous times this season, and it's only sentiment stopping me from being pleased about it. If we're being honest, Reina's not been the same for a couple of seasons now, and in a league where 72 points doesn't even get you fourth place, a keeper capable of such inconsistencies will hurt you.

Ter Stegen's the option, because presumably Barcelona will be the ones taking Reina, and Monchengladbach aren't in the Champions League either. He's decent with his feet, too.

Lightning

Banned
McCarthy isn't ready to be a No 1 at a big club. I wouldn't mind him coming in as a back-up, since he really does seem to be an excellent shot stopper.

Courtois is the least likely of any of those I named, for sure. But he's one of the best young goalkeepers out there, so I could imagine we're interested regardless of how unlikely it'd be.

The thing with Ter Stegen is that if Pepe goes to Barca, clearly Ter Stegen won't. Not that Monchengladbach would like to sell to anyone, but he's got the quality to be a first team keeper. Handanovic, I think would be a worthy bet, from those I listed.

Mignolet is great, and Begovic is quite good as well - but would either of those come at a price Liverpool is willing to pay for a GK? Sunderland would ask for a staggering amount, and Begovic probably isn't worth what Stoke would ask, either.
Adler is a pretty safe bet too. Hamburg will sell, they are also not the best off financially.

I really want Arsenal to go for Mignolet though but as you said he would be expensive.

Also, does anyone know when the Championship match between Palace and Watford is?

subtles

Why is everyone reporting that Mourinho didn't get a medal? I remember Karanka took two medals and I assumed the other one was for Mourinho.

GorillaJu

Goalkeepers don't need to be exciting signings, they just need to be good at their job. Typical example, Jääskeläinen for West Ham. Not exciting by anyone's standard but he's been a quality signing. We'd have been in deep shit without him.

Liverpool just need to build a strong, solid team. Champion's League aspirations should die now as United, City and Chelsea going forward will solidify. Chelsea for example will shore up the gaps. They hobbled on this season without a reliable striker. Tottenham and Arsenal are better sides and have been so for a while.

IMO Liverpool should not aim for Champions League for a while. They need a gradual build. They can't compete financially with City or Chelsea, and Arsenal and United attract better talent. Its a project at Anfield.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. You think it'd be better for Liverpool to give up on the idea of climbing the table, instead aiming to stay exactly where we are?

The fans wouldn't take it, the owners wouldn't take it, the manager wouldn't take it, and the players wouldn't take it either.

If we're going to replace our goalkeeper, it needs to be either 1) someone who is better than Reina (which there are definitely a few options there), or 2) someone who looks like they'll be better than Reina sooner rather than later.

Cesar would be a real step backward, and a nonsensical one at that. I agree that we should temper expectations - I don't expect to be in the top four next season, but by 2015 we should be up there with, if not in, the top 4. Anything less would be unacceptable, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom