• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuenf

There's a difference between Bayern losing it and Dortmund winning it. Either is possible.

But can Dortmund win it without Bayern losing it after this season? I can't come up with a scenario... maybe if the referee is the reason, but than we'd have trouble with the "winning" part.
(Once again you have to take the season Bayern is having into account)

But can Dortmund win it without Bayern losing it after this season? I can't come up with a scenario... maybe if the referee is the reason, but than we'd have trouble with "winning" part.
What you're getting at is, "If Bayern play to their best level they will win", right?

I agree, but it's possible that Dortmund could have a gameplan and performance which restricts that from happening.

Zabojnik

Have you considered appointing Bergonzi?

zidaneale.png

GorillaJu

But can Dortmund win it without Bayern losing it after this season? I can't come up with a scenario... maybe if the referee is the reason, but than we'd have trouble with "winning" part.
(Once again you have to take the season Bayern is having into account)

Well I'd say that Dortmund has every capability of silencing Bayern's threat through proactive defending, and also has the ability to produce attacking chances without any capitulation or mistake on Bayern's part.

No team ever plays to 100% of their potential.

If Bayern played to 30-40% of their potential like they did against Chelsea, then "they lost." But if Borussia play to 90% of their potential an Bayern to 70% of theirs, to me, that's a win for BVB more than FCB losing it.
I feel like Morsel meant to post in this thread but posted in some Gakai thread instead :|

Lol. Bingo.

Was just sayin to Hitcher thanks again for setting up the betting league. Was a lot of fun and made match days more exciting. And well played to the winner. Some really good transfers, especially in the last few months really made the difference.

Feorax

I notice banned paper is linking us with Danny Rose.

As much as I rate Rose, I wouldn't want him to come in at the expense of Enrique. Left back is an area where we need depth rather than straight improvement.

If we could get Rose and keep Enrique, then I think we would be set for a long time (both would get games, Enrique doesn't have the stamina to get even close to 38 league games in a season), but I reckon Rose will stay at Spurs. You never know, he might have the chance to stake a claim as first choice left back if BAE goes.

Arnie

I agree that public perception casts Bayern as favourites, but when had that ever meant much in a Champions League final?

Were Chelsea favourites last year? No. Were we favourites against that great Milan side? Were we bollocks, we had Djimi Traore at left back.

Anything can happen in the final, Bayern of all teams should know that.

fuenf

What you're getting at is, "If Bayern play to their best level they will win", right?

I agree, but it's possible that Dortmund could have a gameplan and performance which restricts that from happening.

Well yes and no. I believe that if Bayern play to their best they'll win, but if they don't, if Dortmund outplays them / restricts them whatever they will have lost it.

Well I'd say that Dortmund has every capability of silencing Bayern's threat through proactive defending, and also has the ability to produce attacking chances without any capitulation or mistake on Bayern's part.

No team ever plays to 100% of their potential.

If Bayern played to 30-40% of their potential like they did against Chelsea, then "they lost." But if Borussia play to 90% of their potential an Bayern to 70% of theirs, to me, that's a win for BVB more than FCB losing it.

That's true for Saturday but if you factor in the season Bayern is having it would still be a tremendous disappointment and they will have lost it (because they didnt play to their potential). So far Bayern is arguably having the best season any club in Europe ever had, that's why anything short of winning the final would be a disappointment and why most would consider Bayern having lost it.

I agree that public perception casts Bayern as favourites, but when had that ever meant much in a Champions League final?

Were Chelsea favourites last year? No. Were we favourites against that great Milan side? Were we bollocks, we had Djimi Traore at left back.

I'm not arguing any of it.

GorillaJu

Yes but let's be honest, as brilliant as we were in the second half, Milan lost the game more than we won it.

I understand what he's saying, that Bayern are the favorites, but I wouldn't go so far as to say its theirs to lose. Dortmund has stifled them in the past, and there's every chance they do it again here.

derExperte

I think they ran out of those. The DFB-Pokal was a clear sign with the result being the only remotely good thing for Dortmund. Everyone should watch that one again. So where could the surprises come from? Both teams know each other and it has finally become an advantage for Bayern.

They know. I have never seen such determination over a whole season. Not even 2000/2001.

fuenf

Yes but let's be honest, as brilliant as we were in the second half, Milan lost the game more than we won it.

I understand what he's saying, that Bayern are the favorites, but I wouldn't go so far as to say its theirs to lose. Dortmund has stifled them in the past, and there's every chance they do it again here.

I'm not saying it's theirs to lose. I'm just saying they will either lose it or win it. The way you describe it, it sounds like I feel like they are entitled to the title, that's not it, far from it. I just think that they deserve it this season. And having seen the focus, the determination of this Bayern, all I can say is that it's up to them.

I think they ran out of those. The DFB-Pokal was a clear sign with the result being the only remotely good thing for Dortmund. Everyone should watch that one again. So where could the surprises come from? Both teams know each other and it has finally become an advantage for Bayern.

I think Dortmund could still up the ante a little bit, play extremely aggressive, forget about any gameplan and just leave their all on the pitch. Like Chelsea did last year, all the blocked shots etc.

Hixx

Neville Neville has been charged with sexual assault.

He should be charged with having a ridiculous name while they're at it.

Well either way I'm excited for the final, although I think I'm gonna miss it.

I'll be very happy for whoever wins. I want Dortmund to win but I'd be delighted for Bayern. The club stands for so much of what is good about football, in my opinion anyways, so it'd be brilliant if they could clinch it and complete the treble.

Btw Arnie apparently it's a Uefa directive preventing a Dortmund mosaic thingamajig.

Wilbur

Banned
holy shit I just realised from that table we'd have scored 110 goals. That means we hit the post 24 times. Fuck life. Liverpool hit it 29 times loooooool

dc89

And I knew it wouldn't be long before this got in the press.

A mum who takes her disabled son to Manchester City matches has blasted the club after she was told she must pay for a ticket from next season.

Claire Howarth has been allowed free entry to the Etihad stadium to care for her City-mad son Callum, 4, who has a rare heart condition.

But in a change of policy, the club has contacted Claire and other carers who take disabled fans to matches to say tickets will not be free after the summer.

It means her family will have to find £305 extra to cover the cost of taking Callum to games.

Callum has been a City supporter since he learned to talk - and even managed to meet his favourite player, Pablo Zabaleta, after his dad Ian tweeted a picture of him in hospital following three open-heart surgery operations. His condition means that he struggles to breathe and requires constant medical attention.

A Blues spokesperson, said: “Manchester City actively promotes equality for all supporters in-line with Premier League Guidance and advice from Manchester City Disabled Supporters Association and Level Playing Field.

“The club will continue to work with all supporters to ensure their needs are met in a fair and non-discriminatory way.”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ed-fans-told-pay-3874891#.UZoK6ba0qzA.twitter

It's not been our finest week or so PR wise. This is not good.

Wilbur

Banned
Well either way I'm excited for the final, although I think I'm gonna miss it.

I'll be very happy for whoever wins. I want Dortmund to win but I'd be delighted for Bayern. The club stands for so much of what is good about football, in my opinion anyways, so it'd be brilliant if they could clinch it and complete the treble.

Btw Arnie apparently it's a Uefa directive preventing a Dortmund mosaic thingamajig.

I'd definitely rather Dortmund won, but Bayern winning would be nice in a few months. I just want them to lose to see Robben and Ribery/Blablurn and Fry meltdowns.

And I knew it wouldn't be long before this got in the press.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ed-fans-told-pay-3874891#.UZoK6ba0qzA.twitter

It's not been our finest week or so PR wise. This is not good.
Damn that sucks. What's the point of having £300 season tickets if they're gonna this.

Wonder what the situation is like at other clubs with regards to this. No doubt Uncle Malcy has us charging extra for the wheelchair space or something stupid like that lol.

dc89

Damn that sucks. What's the point of having £300 season tickets if they're gonna this.

Wonder what the situation is like at other clubs with regards to this. No doubt Uncle Malcy has us charging extra for the wheelchair space or something stupid like that lol.

Mancini leaves and the whole club goes to shit.

Yeah it's really bad. City have had a long affinity with the working class going back years and years, providing affordable tickets and the such. City in The Community does a lot of great work with schools and stuff, and providing jobs to those in the community around the stadium. But this kinda undermines all that if you ask me.

If I was a player, I'd want all the names on a list and I'd write a cheque out. Couldn't cost that much on the grand scheme of things. I'd be too nice, I'd be the Fady of football players.

Carbonox

I sold Vucinic on FIFA 13 cos he wanted to leave, the spenk. Guy has an amazing long shot ability in that game.

Oh well, replaced him with Alexandre Pato who's fantastic in FIFA. Shame his career has been blighted with injuries, I've always liked him, though I hear he's doing well in Brazil.

I now have a beautiful strike force selection of Sanchez, Cavani and Pato, with a not so beautiful back up consisting of Giovinco, Quagmire and Mattress.

dc89

dc, I keep asking, you keep ignoring me. What's going on with Tevez? Is he leaving for sure?

I don't ignore you dude, I just don't read the thread xD

Erm. Well, he's in the last year of contract, no sign of him signing a new one. There were rumours of him potentially signing a new one around new year, but no fresh rumours since.

Apparently, he gave a prolonged wave to the fans yesterday as he was subbed off. And then again on the lap of 'appreciation' (can hardly call it a lap of honour).

So yeah, I think he might just be going this summer. A shame, because he still has so much to give! He's 29, he could be a top striker for another 2 seasons or so.

Yeah it's really bad. City have had a long affinity with the working class going back years and years, providing affordable tickets and the such. City in The Community does a lot of great work with schools and stuff, and providing jobs to those in the community around the stadium. But this kinda undermines all that if you ask me.

If I was a player, I'd want all the names on a list and I'd write a cheque out. Couldn't cost that much on the grand scheme of things. I'd be too nice, I'd be the Fady of football players.
Sometimes I wonder why City don't do stuff like that lol.

Like just give everyone a free shirt. Mansour could obv afford it lol.

If I owned my own club I'd have a riot with it. I'd personally go to watch the players I wanted to buy. And admit it to SSN.

DBT85

What if the 265 shots that hit the woodwork counted as goals?

BKtKlkGCMAMWQvM.jpg:large

The woodwork costs

Manchester United 4 points
Manchester City 2 points
Chelsea -3 points
Arsenal -1 point
Spurs 4 points
Everton 4 points
Liverpool 14 points!
West Brom 7 points
Swansea -3 points
West Ham -2 points
Norwich -1 point
Fulham -3 points
Stoke 7 points
Southampton 4 points
Aston Villa -3 points
Newcastle -4 points
Sunderland 0 points
Wigan 3 points
Reading -5 points
QPR 5 points

Carbonox

Shit, all they had to do was take the USA kit and just replace the badge with the England one and BOOM, the England shirt would be the sexiest ever.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The woodwork costs

Spurs 4 points

To me it's even worse than that. At Goodison we were leading 1-0 when Gylfi hit a ridonculous shot against the bar. Gylfi also hit the post when we were 2-1 up at Anfield. Those go in we win both matches. We lost both.

Fine margins :(

GorillaJu

The woodwork costs

Manchester United 4 points
Manchester City 2 points
Chelsea -3 points
Arsenal -1 point
Spurs 4 points
Everton 4 points
Liverpool 14 points!
West Brom 7 points
Swansea -3 points
West Ham -2 points
Norwich -1 point
Fulham -3 points
Stoke 7 points
Southampton 4 points
Aston Villa -3 points
Newcastle -4 points
Sunderland 0 points
Wigan 3 points
Reading -5 points
QPR 5 points

Hah. No surprise. The fuckin crossbar is our worst enemy, once again. :'(

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Standard:

Gareth Bale is set to give despondent Tottenham fans a much-needed boost by confirming he has signed a new contract to stay at the club.

Standard Sport understands the Wales international, who scored his 31st goal of the season in the 1-0 win over Sunderland yesterday, has committed his future to the club with a £130,000-a-week deal and will remain at White Hart Lane next season.

An announcement is expected to be made by the club shortly, which will provide Tottenham fans with a huge lift after losing their bid to beat Arsenal to a place in the top four.

The league is ours.

GorillaJu

Good. You guys should learn not to be afraid of commitment. I've been using the same avatar since the day I signed up to Gaf. Those stinkers can deal with a season-long avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom