• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastadon

Banned
How is it that Liverpool hit the woodwork so often. That's two seasons in a row now.

The only rational explanation is that it's some kind of conspiracy by the Premier League and/or Manchester United to prevent us winning the league and returning to our former glories.

Wilbur

Banned
The only rational explanation is that it's some kind of conspiracy by the Premier League and/or Manchester United to prevent us winning the league.

tommoijuvt.gif

GorillaJu

How is it that Liverpool hit the woodwork so often. That's two seasons in a row now.

Think it's because we're always trying too hard to be clever. Players like Suarez, Henderson, Downing, Sturridge, Johnson, these guys try to go for the spectacular, and instead of just putting it in the easiest place, they try to score beautiful goals and it comes off the bar.

Just yesterday, Carragher had that monster of a 30-yarder that beat Rob Green, then hit the bar. Last week, Borini hooked one in with his right foot from outside the box, and that one went out off the bar after beating the keeper, too. Of course, those two games were victories, they're just the most recent examples. Happens every fucking week for us. Important goals too, that would turn draws into wins.

That's true for Saturday but if you factor in the season Bayern is having it would still be a tremendous disappointment and they will have lost it (because they didnt play to their potential). So far Bayern is arguably having the best season any club in Europe ever had, that's why anything short of winning the final would be a disappointment and why most would consider Bayern having lost it.

"Best season any club has arguably ever had in Europe." Excuse me? What excatly has Bayern achieved? Dominated the Bundesliga, truth to that, had a great CL and DFB cup run so far, okay. Win those two cups and we can talk about that kind of stuff, right now? Nope.

You can play a perfect season and lose a final against a worse side that's playing the match of their life. That team won it. Yeah, your team might have been better over the whole season but if the winning team was better in the final, even if it's just a little, nobody will say stuff like "they beat themselves". Okay, mabe some fans of the better team but they're just bitter in that situation lol.

Now, what's different is a final like last year. Yes, Bayern fucking bottled it. They were clearly better and didn't manage to score more than once. Bayern lost it. It's totally possible this year, too. But saying Bayern will either lose or win it is a bit self-centered and narcissistic and the reason why Bayern gets so much hate in Germany. BVB has what it takes to make an incredible performance and maybe even play over their limits.

Wilbur

Banned
Don't make me go out and buy it. Trying to finish Paper Mario before Animal Crossing steals my soul.

I haven't played it yet because my fucking 3DS hasn't come, but it looks pretty awesome.

What does Animal Crossing play like? Is there a demo? Looks alright but I don't wanna buy it and then it sucks.

GorillaJu

So has anyone here read Wolf Hall? Just finished it up last week and I'm on to the sequel. Think I need a break, though. Gonna read some Hemingway in between. Mantel's narration is as dense as a block of iron.

Linius

I haven't played it yet because my fucking 3DS hasn't come, but it looks pretty awesome.

What does Animal Crossing play like? Is there a demo? Looks alright but I don't wanna buy it and then it sucks.

No demo yet, maybe it will come shortly before it's release. But it's just crazy fun to live in a village and do stuff while expanding you're house and buying furniture etc. etc.

It sounds incredibly stupid but when you do it's SO much fun :p

dc89

There might be a demo, a slim chance.

Animal crossing is the kind of game where you make your own fun. There is only one objective, pay your mortgage.

The rest is up to you. Dig for fossils, go fish, catch bugs, chill out with the funny animals which change as new ones come and some leave and move out. Customising and expanding your house plays a big part. The world changes with the seasons and the game celebrates new year and Christmas etc. It's a very different kind of game.

I suggest you watch some stuff on YouTube.

Mastadon

Banned
So has anyone here read Wolf Hall? Just finished it up last week and I'm on to the sequel. Think I need a break, though. Gonna read some Hemingway in between. Mantel's narration is as dense as a block of iron.

Yeah, I quite enjoyed it. Bring up the bodies is slightly better though, in my opinion.

There might be a demo, a slim chance.

Animal crossing is the kind of game where you make your own fun. There is only one objective, pay your mortgage.

The rest is up to you. Dig for fossils, go fish, catch bugs, chill out with the funny animals which change as new ones come and some leave and move out. Customising and expanding your house plays a big part. The world changes with the seasons and the game celebrates new year and Christmas etc. It's a very different kind of game.

I suggest you watch some stuff on YouTube.

It's like a cartoon version of The Sims.

772287372.gif

Oh ma gawd, I can't even..

Who is this?

We should keep him, 'cause at this point I'm doubting we'll get someone better.

I like Bendtner. He played better than Matri this season, if I'm being honest. And he only played half the games because he was injured. If I had to choose between our current prima puntas to play with Llorente, it'd be either Quagliarella or Bendtner. But Conte has all but confirmed that Bendtner is not being signed as he wishes him all the best [in the future]

-

Players I'd keep if I were Marry at all but crazy costs (excepting the obvious ones, like Marchisio/Vidal who are untouchable): Marrone, Caceres, Lichtsteiner, Asamoah, Pepe, Storari

Players I'd like to keep but would part with for fair money (one or the other, I think): Giaccherini, Padoin

Players I'd like to sell and replace: Isla, De Ceglie, IAQUINTA, MARTINEZ, Matri, and don't renew Peluso, Bendtner probably, and Anelka obviously.

Then we need to buy a LB who can compete with Asamoah (Kolarov?), a depth versatile midfielder who can fill in anywhere on the pitch in the event we keep neither Giaccherini or Padoin (this is Marrone, really), a RW who can help us get a 4-3-3 going if necessary (along with Pepe, Cuadrado? Nani?), another top shelf ST (Higuain? Tevez?), and potentially another playmaker if we want to go 3-5-1-1 properly (Jovetic? Diamanti.).

fuenf

"Best season any club has arguably ever had in Europe." Excuse me? What excatly has Bayern achieved? Dominated the Bundesliga, truth to that, had a great CL and DFB cup run so far, okay. Win those two cups and we can talk about that kind of stuff, right now? Nope.

You can play a perfect season and lose a final against a worse side that's playing the match of their life. That team won it. Yeah, your team might have been better over the whole season but if the winning team was better in the final, even if it's just a little, nobody will say stuff like "they beat themselves". Okay, mabe some fans of the better team but they're just bitter in that situation lol.

Now, what's different is a final like last year. Yes, Bayern fucking bottled it. They were clearly better and didn't manage to score more than once. Bayern lost it. It's totally possible this year, too. But saying Bayern will either lose or win it is a bit self-centered and narcissistic and the reason why Bayern gets so much hate in Germany. BVB has what it takes to make an incredible performance and maybe even play over their limits.

I agree, but I'll bet you that if the BVB wins there'll be just as many articles about Bayern having lost it. ;) It's not narcisstic and self-centered, like I said for Bayern it's not really all about Wembley. It's the pressure of the 2 lost finals, Schweinis / Lahm / Ribery / Robbens tendency to choke in important games, the expectations. And yes, so far they are having on of the best seasons over and it's up to them to close it out? If that isnt extra pressure I don't know what it. You even post this Klopp quote:

"When we win, we're not the best team in the world. But we've beaten the best team in the world" (Jürgen Klopp)

What do you even want me to say? For me personally the BVB can't lose in the final, no matter how the game ends they'll end up winners. It's different for Bayern, that's all I'm saying. Of course Dortmund can win the final, but Bayern still would've lost it too. What's so hard to understand about it? Just look at the 2008 Superbowl, Patriots 18-0 perfect season and they lost the final game! Yes, the Giants won it but you can't talk about it without mentioning that the Patriots lost it after having a perfect season.

If I'm totally honest I almost always prefer to be the underdog. There's nothing more exciting in sports than to win a final Chelsea-style.

Zabojnik

Then we need to buy a LB who can compete with Asamoah (Kolarov?), a depth versatile midfielder who can fill in anywhere on the pitch in the event we keep neither Giaccherini or Padoin (this is Marrone, really), a RW who can help us get a 4-3-3 going if necessary (along with Pepe, Cuadrado? Nani?), another top shelf ST (Higuain? Tevez?), and potentially another playmaker if we want to go 3-5-1-1 properly (Jovetic? Diamanti.).

I have the feeling Conte is considering making 4-3-3 our default CL formation. Llorente won't score from Licht's and Asa's crosses, so one or two quality wingers are an absolute necessity.

I think Marrone to Parma (loan or co-ownership, probably) might be happening. I also think that if Ancelotti/Real are serious about Lichtsteiner and we're serious about Higuain ... it might happen.

Suen

Danish trains have free wifi! WTF! Landed safely now to the hotel!
We don't have that shit here, have to pay for it. Plenty of times I wished I had free wifi in the train :/

Ah, okay. I thought it expired this summer but is it next summer? Maybe we won't sign a keeper this window if that's the case.

Can't see Szczesny tolerating being a back up keeper.
And Arsenal can't tolerate Szczesny being in the XI, reserve and fight your way back or out.

772287372.gif

Oh ma gawd, I can't even..
I like this gif.

So Ancelotti has to stay another year at PSG?
who will become the manager of real now?
Ancelotti, the man is so good that he can manage both. Jokes aside I'm getting confused. Is he really leaving or will he stay at PSG another year?

dc89

Fuck guys! I think my PS3 has broke!! Or is on the blink. :(
It made a beeping noise, like 4 beeps. Then the red light was flashing.
HALP!

I have the feeling Conte is considering making 4-3-3 our default CL formation. Llorente won't score from Licht's and Asa's crosses, so one or two quality wingers are an absolute necessity.

I think Marrone to Parma (loan or co-ownership, probably) might be happening. I also think that if Ancelotti/Real are serious about Lichtsteiner and we're serious about Higuain ... it might happen.

The Lichtsteiner/Higuain move would only happen if we can find a RB replacement. It will be a long and drawn out transfer saga. And if we sacrifice a very good RB for a striker who will potentially be good in Serie A, I think it will come back to bite us.

I'd rather buy Higuain outright and not reinforce other places, like LB, and still keep Lichtsteiner.

Though we can really fucking do with a RW if we want to play 4-3-3. But, again, remember Krasic. It has to be the right type of winger for Conte. I don't think that's going to be Nani. (Giovinco and Vucinic can both play on the LW in a pinch.)

GorillaJu

Yeah, I quite enjoyed it. Bring up the bodies is slightly better though, in my opinion.

Nice. I read about 10 pages for Bring up the Bodies, then realized I needed a break from Hilary Mantel. I loved Wolf Hall, though. I normally am not interested in Tudor era stories, but I found it pretty enrapturing.

Shot on woodwork = shot off target. Be more accurate.

Being facetious I guess but I do think hitting the post isn't as close a thing as people make it out to be, maybe cos its dramatic. Alot of the time shots which hit the post are bad misses.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Diamanti should work, in theory at least. He's a supremely accurate crosser - 2nd in Serie A.

Players I'd keep: Udinese's Isla, Caceres, Lichtsteiner, Asamoah.

Players I'd like to keep but would part with for fair money: Pepe, Giak, Storari and Luke Brown.

Players I'd like to sell and replace: Juve's Isla, CIRO IMMOBILE, Padoin(?), Peluso (still on loan), Matri, Quag, Vucinic, Giovinco, PDC, Melo, Ziegler and Jorge FUCKING Martínez.

I don't even want to think about replacing Lichtsteiner. It took us long enough to find a proper RB!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom