• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Guardian writers' review of the 2012/13 season - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/...ier-league-review-football-writers?CMP=twt_gu

I'll pick out the highlights, but the conclusion is that Scott Murray and Louise Taylor have weird opinions:

Best player

Owen Gibson- Hard to see beyond Gareth Bale. Not since Cristiano Ronaldo was in his pomp at Manchester United has a player demonstrated such an ability to seize a game and shape it.

David Hytner- Dimitar Berbatov. The best player to watch and the best player to write about.

Scott Murray- A toss-up between Christian Benteke and Adam Le Fondre. Hats off to your Van Persies, Bales and Suárezes (Suari?) but there's something infinitely more romantic about those calmly pelting them in while all around is panic.

Barney Ronay - Michael Carrick. Often did the job of two men in midfield for the champions. The Roy Keane of the elegant interception.

Louise Taylor - Philippe Coutinho. Arsenal's Santi Cazorla has been lovely to watch but Coutinho is the midfielder capable of making Liverpool great again.

Winner - Gareth Bale

Best manager

Barry Glendenning - Michael Laudrup. Prior to the start of the season, I idiotically predicted that Swansea City under his management would resemble "a car crash".

Daniel Taylor - Steve Clarke. Well, probably Sir Alex Ferguson. But I owe Clarke an apology for having him to win the sack race last August.

Louise Taylor - Paolo Di Canio. Not content with saving Sunderland from relegation he speaks a lot of good sense. And makes the Premier League infinitely more colourful.

Winner - Michael Laudrup

Best goal

Barry Glendenning - Luis Suárez for Liverpool against Newcastle. Sprinting at full speed, he controlled a long ball to the edge of the penalty area with his shoulder while under pressure from Fabricio Coloccini, before taking it around Tim Krul and prodding home. In little more than a couple of seconds and with just three touches he made two very good players look like chumps.

Scott Murray - Shinji Kagawa's cerebral sidefoot against Norwich City.

Barney Ronay - Romelu Lukaku versus Sunderland. Essentially a series of high-speed crash tackles, but still a rare joy to watch. The kind of goal the Hulk would score. Or a runaway cement mixer.

Jacob Steinberg - I didn't think Bale's stabbed finish against Swansea in March really got the recognition it deserved. It was Messi-esque in its speed and inventiveness.

Winner - Robin van Persie vs Aston Villa

Damn 33mill to every team? nice!
Norwich should be able to make some decent signings this summer (to add to Rick van Wolfswinkel, the best named striker in the world). I think they were paying down some debt until this year, or at least that's what FM led me to believe.

Would love to see them firmly established as a midtable EPL side.

Hixx

I know its either you or Newcastle. I'm assuming yourselves considering her pick of Paolo

Us. She does have odd opinions on the wider game but I will love her forever for being one of the few to tell Bruce he was sacked not because he was a Geordie like the rest of the media, but because he was shit.

Wilbur

Banned
Norwich should be able to make some decent signings this summer (to add to Rick van Wolfswinkel, the best named striker in the world). I think they were paying down some debt until this year, or at least that's what FM led me to believe.

Would love to see them firmly established as a midtable EPL side.

Yeah Hughton's a great guy, and they've had two really impressive wins to end the season. I far prefer them to the likes of Stoke.

Yeah Hughton's a great guy, and they've had two really impressive wins to end the season. I far prefer them to the likes of Stoke.
They're basically my EPL team -- though it'd be a stretch to call me a supporter, I did watch ~15 of their games this year and celebrated when they reached safety -- because I lived there for a year.

D_prOdigy

Guardian writers' review of the 2012/13 season - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/...ier-league-review-football-writers?CMP=twt_gu

I'll pick out the highlights, but the conclusion is that Scott Murray and Louise Taylor have weird opinions:

Louise Taylor - Paolo Di Canio. Not content with saving Sunderland from relegation he speaks a lot of good sense. And makes the Premier League infinitely more colourful.

Well, he probably wouldn't.

I don't know what I'm saying.

Wilbur

Banned
The alternative league table: every club's season ranked - http://eircomsports.eircom.net/News/PL-alternative-table.aspx

Some good passages in here explaining choices. I particularly liked the Villa, Spurs and QPR ones.

1. Swansea City
2. Manchester United
3. Chelsea
4. Aston Villa
5. Arsenal
6. West Brom
7. Tottenham Hotspur
8. West Ham United
9. Everton
10. Liverpool
11. Southampton
12. Wigan Athletic
13. Stoke City
14. Norwich City
15. Fulham
16. Newcastle United
17. Sunderland
18. Manchester City
19. Reading
20. Queens Park Rangers

GorillaJu

Man, I really can't stand music like Rush. I would be at least ambivalent, indifferent at worst, about them if I didn't have to deal with a bunch of numpties who think they're simply the greatest band ever. And it's not even that they have poor taste, it's that they think using fucked up time signatures, and having a technically talented drummer somehow make their opinion objective, and not just a matter of taste. Butt-rock, and all forms of "watch me shred!" music are just not my thing. I like the sound of a nice guitar, but I can't stand going to guitar conventions because I'm just so bothered by all these... dudes and their unpalatable taste in derivative "play-scales-really-fast" taste in music.

/rant
(prompted because of Tom Sawyer currently playing on a Twitch TV stream, stream chat going wild)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Wenger is vowing to be proactive in the transfer market this summer!
kofVrpi.jpg

CHAMPI... oh, right.

how did this team get 26 out of their last 30 points?????

Arteta (pen.)

Wilbur

Banned
Ooh, how do you like your love

But if you want to know
How I really feel
Just get the cameras rolling
Get the action going

Baby, you know my love
For you is real
Take me where you want to
Then my heart you'll steal

Mou, Mou, Mou
How do you like it, how do you like it
Mou, Mou, Mou
Mou, Mou, Mou

And if you want to know
What it means to me
Just hear the rhythm grooving
Get your body moving

Baby, you know my love
For you is true
Any time you want to
Do what you gotta do

Mou, Mou, Mou
Mou, Mou, Mou
Mou, Mou, Mou

Mou, Mou, Mou
Mou, Mou, Mou
Mou, Mou, Mou

Baby, you know my love
For you is real
Take me where you want to
Then my heart you steal

Wilbur

Banned
Why would Madrid arrange a press conference to announce the exit of Mourinho? Could we possibly see a twist...

a) it's Madrid and they have to make a grandiose gesture for everyting
b) confirmed interest in Ancelotti
c) I keep forgetting you have me on ignore

I really don't know where he's going. I do think it's premature to just say he's going to Monaco. Their tax situation may prevent them from being promoted.

It's Monaco or Real. Maybe this is what the press conference is for.

edit: Maybe Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom