• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjohn

What awful goalkeeping by Amos. Just terrible.

I have a feeling they'll spend this year.
I have to say though, I was very impressed with arsenal's run in the second half of the season. But they seem to not bother turning up in the first half. This team is capable of challenging for the title.

deGod

My take on it is:

Nextbox will be strong in the US & UK (just like 360) and PS4 will do well in Japan + Mainland Europe.

So basically nothing will change bar some strange fuck-up by one or the other.

If the sexbox goes ahead with always being connected to the net then it will die

/dead

Do they really need lots of first party hits? Sony has moderate first party successes outside of GT (huge in Europe, moderate elsehwere) but none of them are system sellers. The stuff that helps you keep #1 is huge third party games that people can talk about with their friends. As long as they get Halo out at or around launch, that's really enough to tip a lot of people and then you hammer them with the exclusive game from Respawn and 30-day map exclusivity, etc. for CoD and you're golden.

Respawn's game will not be exclusive.

Feorax

If MS unprecedent partnership is with EA and FIFA is a full or timed exclusive then continental Europe may jump ship, that would be huge...

If Microsoft manage it the PS4 will be hugely damaged in Europe.

Given how much revenue FIFA brings in over all platforms for EA, the sum you would be looking at to buy exclusivity would be astronomical.

My concern is that Microsoft could have brought these games to E3 and taken the spotlight there, with a bigger audience. They haven't, and the only reason I can think of is that they're going to try and bury something extremely unpopular in this reveal.

Ingeniero

I'm willing to bet that virtually everybody will buy it regardless.
Yeah, I think at least 90% of hardcore gamers have decent internet, so I don't think this will matter in the end.
And if internet companies offer packages or discounts in Nextboxes.... then, well played MS.

littlebigplanet-2-2013520155423_2.jpg

D'aww

@Arnie, aren't Respawn owned by EA?

Oh I will be but for people who don't have the net it will be annoying
Maybe I'm just ignorant because I live in an area where it's not really a problem. But everything that I own that can be connected is connected. And I am one of those people who takes the argument that if you're sitting on a forum -- online -- then always online probably isn't going to be an issue.

Also, I can't see it being anymore than having to perhaps register a game once before it's played. Or perhaps features are limited when offline, much like they already are.

Anyway, time will tell.

Maybe I'm just ignorant because I live in an area where it's not really a problem. But everything that I own that can be connected is connected. And I am one of those people who takes the argument that if you're sitting on a forum -- online -- then always online probably isn't going to be an issue.

Also, I can't say it being anymore than having to perhaps register a game once, before it's played. Or perhaps features are limited when offline, much like they already are.

Anyway, time will tell.

The problem isn't so much no internet, as it is inconsistent internet imo

My connection is very good, but it still craps out twice a day or so for 5 minutes at a time.

holy fuck, a big chunk of people are convinced FIFA gonna be next Xbox exclusive. most of them have Xbox avatars, but still, how disconnected from reality are they to believe that?

Arnie

D'aww

@Arnie, aren't Respawn owned by EA?

No, they're completely independent.

EA has publishing rights for their new IP, but those can be shared if Microsoft pony up the right amount of cash. Importantly it's worth noting the power of exclusivity at the start of a generation. It makes complete sense for Respawn's new IP to be, at least initially (first game), exclusive because they aren't losing many sales from the PS4 (or alternatively Xbox 3) version, yet people are buying their game en masse because of the perceived value of exclusivity.

Perfect example is in your very post. Mass Effect propelled itself to success as a 360 exclusive, and then moved over to other platforms later.

Damn, that Garrus is cute.

holy fuck, a big chunk of people are convinced FIFA gonna be next Xbox exclusive. most of them have Xbox avatars, but still, how disconnected from reality are they to believe that?
Utterly ridiculous.

Wasn't there a clause in the FIFA licensing that meant they had to launch on a certain number of platforms?

The problem isn't so much no internet, as it is inconsistent internet imo

My connection is very good, but it still craps out twice a day or so for 5 minutes at a time.
Mine craps out on occasion too. But really, that's the world we live in. What can you do? Sometime my 3G doesn't work on my phone when I'm out and about and it limits various features. You get on with it.

If I'm playing online on my 360 and my internet craps out then I'm as done for as I would be on the NextBox.

But if, and like I said, I imagine this will be the case, that what will really happen is that game will need to be registered online to an account or something. Then a connection drop mid game won't be an issue.

LTWheels

Given how much revenue FIFA brings in over all platforms for EA, the sum you would be looking at to buy exclusivity would be astronomical.

My concern is that Microsoft could have brought these games to E3 and taken the spotlight there, with a bigger audience. They haven't, and the only reason I can think of is that they're going to try and bury something extremely unpopular in this reveal.

Nah, the showing tomorrow has a bigger audience and reach than E3 press-conferances. Being broadcasted on TV and the internet at times that are both relatively friendly for the US and Europe.

It's all about the mindshare and public perception of the next Xbox being associated with COD and FIFA.

Tomorrow is about hitting the masses. E3 is where we will see the bulk of the new titles.

Kyoufu

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility for Sony to return to the top of those two territories, but it have to do a better job of pushing what the masses want. Revealing a console with niche titles and a couple of oddball new IP's isn't the way to do it. Especially when they didn't even show the box. .

I disagree because they've had 3 months or so of free media buzz. Not showing the box means they can tease it for E3 and keep the buzz going. The teaser they released today got people talking about it again. It's very smart IMO.

As for games, yeah I agree they didn't show anything that gets the masses thinking "wow, I must have that!" (except maybe Watch_Dogs) but we should wait until E3 for games. Remember, Microsoft isn't showing much in the way of games tomorrow either. FIFA and CoD are nice but when it comes to games, everyone will be tuning into E3 for that.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Does AVB ever talk-up/have much interest in the Spurs yoof? Is he a holistic man?

Kane, Obika, Townsend and Carroll have played for the first team this season. Some others have been on the bench a few times too.

A lot of these guys have been out on loan learning their trade, I'm sure this pre-season we will see them a lot.

Moobabe

Yeah - it's not just the money you'd have to pay EA - surely FIFA would need paying off as well? I would imagine the games generate a huge amount of money for that organisation as well - and would need convincing, one way or another, that giving up Nintendo AND Sony platforms would be good for business.

I'm not a devout follower at all.

Not on a Kyoufu/Hitcher (or you considering this really odd post) level, anyway. I probably won't even buy a new console for a good year, I don't play enough games to warrant it.

I'm talking about the reveal, not the release. The Xbox reveal will garner a more mainstream audience than the PS4 one, primarily because of those two games. And if I didn't mention it then they might read about it on Twitter, or see it on Facebook etc. I'm not evangelising anything, they were already playing Call of Duty on an Xbox 360, how is that converting them?

I'm a pc gamer at heart, sometimes dabbling into consoles (last gen: ps3 in 2007-2010 and wii in 2009, lol), so I'm basically watching from the sidelines.
I do dislike Microsoft for a lot of things, but the thing that I really dislike the direction they took with regards to excl. content, as in signing exclusivity deals rather than producing their own unique content. There is of course their monetization of everything and their Kinect overload, but the way they turned away from unique exclusive content and the dismantling of a host of game devs (among which were some cool veteran pc devs) is what I really dislike about them.

Now I've seen you in some defensive stances when it comes to console wars throughout this thread so I don't think you should claim bipartisanship or anything close to it in this matter :p

Yeah, I agree the reveal has the potential to garner more mainstream attention than the ps4 reveal, certainly. But it also depends on how Sony will react. As you can see with the ps4 box teaser they are trying to counter every sort of publicity MS is aiming at claiming as their own.
We'll have to wait and see how both of those games are presented. Is there is anything exclusive about them on the next xbox? Will they be advertised in that context rather than being advertised as multiform titles?

But I really don't think the presence of those games is enough to net them the huge mainstream media attention (similar to Wii levels). Neither ps4 nor nextbox will reach those levels, imho.

Feorax

Nah, the showing tomorrow has a bigger audience and reach than E3 press-conferances. Being broadcast on TV and the internet at times that are both relatively friendly for the US and Europe.

It's all about the mindshare and public perception of the next Xbox being associated with COD and FIFA.

Tomorrow is about hitting the masses. E3 is where we will see the bulk of the new titles.

I hope you're right. I've just seen the keynote is only an hour long, so I'm hoping they show enough of the system itself.

I'm interested to see what Microsofts approach is to their 1st party studios this generation too. They've not really had too much going on creatively for the past couple of years, so hopefully we'll see a resurgence.

Fergie

Banned
No, they're completely independent.

EA has publishing rights for their new IP, but those can be shared if Microsoft pony up the right amount of cash. Importantly it's worth noting the power of exclusivity at the start of a generation. It makes complete sense for Respawn's new IP to be, at least initially (first game), exclusive because they aren't losing many sales from the PS4 (or alternatively Xbox 3) version, yet people are buying their game en masse because of the perceived value of exclusivity.

Perfect example is in your very post. Mass Effect propelled itself to success as a 360 exclusive, and then moved over to other platforms later.

Damn, that Garrus is cute.

Utterly ridiculous.

Wasn't there a clause in the FIFA licensing that meant they had to launch on a certain number of platforms?
Yep all viable platforms.

FIFA won't be exclusive that's a given.

Worth noting that Sony have a few big PS3 games to put out and market before they even think about showing us what Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica have in store for PS4.

@Arnie, given the similarities in hardware structure between PS4 and next-box, aside from moneyhats there is no reason to go exclusive any more imo.

Kyoufu

Oh and another thing Arnie, I don't think we'll ever see Sony on top again. Back in the PS1/PS2 days they had an enormous amount of exclusive 3rd party support, which is the reason they were on top for so many years.

Now that the industry has moved towards multi-platform development people have more options on which console to invest in. It'd have to take something huge (high price at launch) to cripple one or the other.

i'm pending towards PS4 at this point, pre-MS conference. never owned Sony hardware before, seem like a good time to jump in with the PS4.

paying for online doesn't sit well with me, was lucky enough the store where i bought my 360 offered me a 12 month LIVE code.

Oh and another thing Arnie, I don't think we'll ever see Sony on top again. Back in the PS1/PS2 days they had an enormous amount of exclusive 3rd party support, which is the reason they were on top for so many years.

Now that the industry has moved towards multi-platform development people have more options on which console to invest in. It'd have to take something huge (high price at launch) to cripple one or the other.

They just have to beat MS this gen to be on top again really. The PS3 is at least close to the 360's sales despite the huge difference in the way they're viewed by the US/UK-centric media and and forum-goers, and the year's headstart, so its not as big a gap to jump as you might think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom