• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Now I've seen you in some defensive stances when it comes to console wars throughout this thread so I don't think you should claim bipartisanship or anything close to it in this matter :p
Starting from July I may well be doing PR for Sony.

I own a PS3 and a 360. I dislike Kinect intensely.

Nothing I've said today is tinged with a love for Microsoft, it's common sense. People like FIFA, people like COD, it's a smart move.

It's also a smart move by Sony to tease their new box today.
@Arnie, given the similarities in hardware structure between PS4 and next-box, aside from moneyhats there is no reason to go exclusive any more imo.
I'm not really sure if you read my post.

It's got nothing to do with hardware. At the start of a generation it's much easier to launch a new IP if it's platform exclusive. You don't lose masses of sales elsewhere but you have the potential to gain tons of platform market share by being exclusive. The marketing budget alone is a critical advantage.

Meier

Respawn's game will not be exclusive.

We'll see.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/30/rumor-respawn-game-exclusive-to-next-xbox/

It makes sense to me. I was playing Blops 2 online for the first time since November or so basically and my level 43 guy was ranked somewhere around 7.5 million. To get to 43, you still have to play a fair bit of hours (I'm at 22 hours now, only MP and I think I got up to like level 45). I think last place on my friends list was ranked like 12-13m. Going Xbox exclusive wouldn't be such a bad idea for them.

noooooooooooooo Mourinho, don't leave! Will he receive any money for leaving?

I'm sure he will since he had a contract for 3 more years (if I'm not mistaken).

I don't even have a title I'm interested in for the ps4/next gen in general other than The Last Guardian - if it ever comes out, lol
Should it come out on ps3 then I'll buy the console again along with that ND game that's coming out soon.
Really don't have the time to just play games, especially online. Though I like to pretend that I do..

/

Nothing I've said today is tinged with a love for Microsoft, it's common sense. People like FIFA, people like COD, it's a smart move.
I meant the footy gaf thread in general, not just this 20th OT.

It's also a smart move by Sony to tease their new box today.

I'm not really sure if you read my post.

It's got nothing to do with hardware. At the start of a generation it's much easier to launch a new IP if it's platform exclusive. You don't lose masses of sales elsewhere but you have the potential to gain tons of platform market share by being exclusive. The marketing budget alone is a critical advantage.

Its not enough these days imo. You spend dozens of millions making a game which may or may not sell, and halve your potential market in the hope of the console manufacturers spending enough on the marketing to ensure that it succeeds. It worked for Mass Effect, but I just don't think its indicative of a sustainable business tactic. I think we'll see more of the 'made for both, advertised for one' tactic we've seen a lot of in the last 5 years.

Arnie

Its not enough these days imo. You spend dozens of millions making a game which may or may not sell, and halve your potential market in the hope of the console manufacturers spending enough on the marketing to ensure that it succeeds. It worked for Mass Effect, but I just don't think its indicative of a sustainable business tactic. I think we'll see more of the 'made for both, advertised for one' tactic we've seen a lot of in the last 5 years.

Agree to disagree then.

There's certainly no quantifiable evidence to argue your case. The only reason we've seen a shift in strategy towards exclusive marketing is because the install bases grew to the point whereby lost sales weren't being offset by the platform exclusivity.

A game like Gears attained massive market share on 360 because of its branding and advantage as an exclusive title. It was good, sure, but the attach rate on 360 was incredible.

Moobabe

I still see some potential for exclusive titles - MS pony up some money to offset any lost revenue on a Sony machine (which we don't know well it will sell etc etc) and they also promote your title heavily as one of their own.

A year or so later you release on another console with a rushed port job and soak up some free money.

Hixx

I have some of those Steam trading card beta access things if anyone wants. I'm not really sure what it is but... better for someone to have than sit in my inventory.

Fair enough, I was wrong now that I think about the likes of Bioshock and Gears.

Think it may well move away from that though with the increased budgets, similar launch windows, similar hardware and risk-averse nature of the market today.

pulga

Banned
Ding, dong the bitch is dead.

Get the new manager settled in ASAP so Florentino doesnt go on an unchecked spending spree.

Wilbur

Banned
Crerand makes me want to agree that was a dive. Not sure though, definitely caught but it was going out of play.

Ding, dong the bitch is dead.

Get the new manager settled in ASAP so Florentino doesnt go on an unchecked spending spree.

Loooool the bitch is still very much alive. As long as Real Madrid exists in corporeal form, the bitch is still very much alive.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
my word that was poor

dreadful from Grant Hall, went in way too tight

Wilbur

Banned
HOLD ON

Is this one leg? Why is it at Old Trafford?

VIVA- 2-2

2-0 down at half time, Obika and Pritchard. 2-2 now, Vermijina and Cole

Lightning

Banned
Willbury, you can suck it. While there is a chance Jovetic will come I will hold out HOPE that he will come!

Until it's confirmed he is moving to another club I maintain my hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom