• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
ODvHQ.gif

Aurelio De Laurentiis said their new manager starts with M.

So:
Mancini
Martinez
Maradona
Mr.Benitez

Arnie

It's not even necessarily that I think he's a bad player. Because he isn't.

But he doesn't want to be at the club and so for that reason I want him gone. There's things more important than holding onto very good players like Rooney.
If your club's soiled themselves twice already clinging onto him when he wants out, what's a third time?

There's no feasible way that you come out of this a stronger squad. There aren't any players available that can match Rooney's mixture of versatility and quality. And there aren't any players available who can beat RVP in his favoured position.

You're essentially selling a box of tricks to buy an iPad mini when you already own the latest iPad.

Rooney hasn't wanted to play for your club before, you made him stay and he seriously contributed to your success. If you're concerned about your club's image then it's too late for that.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
No to AVB leaving the league, he needs to fail at Spurs some more. His reaction and the rest of your players reactions when we done it again was priceless and we need to see it MORE.

Next season these dudes will be back:

And they are going to fuck your shit up ;) Credit to Arsenal to their amazing form after the NLD but I don't think they could have done it if Koscielny and Arteta had missed the entire season/second half of it. With Kaboul and Sandro in the team we would have found an extra 2 points for sure.

Lightning

Banned
And they are going to fuck your shit up ;) Credit to Arsenal to their amazing form after the NLD but I don't they could have done it if Koscielny and Arteta had missed the entire season/second half of it. With Kaboul and Sandro in the team we would have found an extra 2 points for sure.
Mancini is that you? Blaming injury? That squad depth!

Arteta pen would have seen us over the line regardless. Fuck I love Arteta.

This is a really bad deal for United.

Rooney's versatile and can play all over the pitch. Even when he's playing as a lone striker he offers significant tactical advantages over the likes of RVP, just like Welbeck did against Real.

Lewandowski is essentially a younger, slightly worse RVP.

Not really going to disagree with this. If we get rid of Rooney I'd want us to buy someone who can play in behind. Unless the idea is to play RVP in behind in future. Not sure about that.

Arnie

Not really going to disagree with this. If we get rid of Rooney I'd want us to buy someone who can play in behind. Unless the idea is to play RVP in behind in future. Not sure about that.
Aye, that sounds like a shit idea.

As long as we're not resorting to the 'sell Rooney, play Kagawa' argument that belies form and common sense.

If Rooney goes you need a top class second striker to fill the void. Dare I say Jovetic?

Wilbur

Banned
If your club's soiled themselves twice already clinging onto him when he wants out, what's a third time?

There's no feasible way that you come out of this a stronger squad. There aren't any players available that can match Rooney's mixture of versatility and quality. And there aren't any players available who can beat RVP in his favoured position.

You're essentially selling a box of tricks to buy an iPad mini when you already own the latest iPad.

Rooney hasn't wanted to play for your club before, you made him stay and he seriously contributed to your success. If you're concerned about your club's image then it's too late for that.

I think that's quite a silly argument really. It's more like I want to buy an iPad mini because my original iPad is playing up and it won't connect with my computer anymore.

Being a fan of Liverpool and not some shit club like Chelsea or City, I'd expect you to think similar to me; if Suarez wanted out, if he clearly had no desire to play for the club, I assume you'd want him out?

Naturally what I and the club may want are completely different prospects, but if he signs a new contract on more money or we bow to his wishes and let an unfit unfocused Rooney start every game, I'll be disappointed. It's not to do with the image because like you say that's already been tainted. I just don't personally want someone who doesn't want to be at the club to be at the club, no matter what his talents are.

Wilbur

Banned
Aye, that sounds like a shit idea.

As long as we're not resorting to the 'sell Rooney, play Kagawa' argument that belies form and common sense.

If Rooney goes you need a top class second striker to fill the void. Dare I say Jovetic?

Why do we need a top class second striker? Dortmund don't have that and they thrived with Kagawa behind a 'slightly worse' RVP. Granted I'm not making the case that we're equal to Dortmund in managerial ability, playing style, etc. But that doesn't mean it's an absolute necessity to have a top top second striker, and I'd be perfectly happy with giving Hernandez and Welbeck more opportunities.

Even if we do sell Rooney I don't see us being that worse off. The club has sold a few world class players in the past and been fine. Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy, Beckham, Stam etc.

He's also on a fuckton of wages. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a clause in his contract that makes him the highest earner at the club either. Yes Rooney is very good and is important for us. But I really wouldn't be that upset to see him leave. His attitude and his commitment just aren't right and as soon as something doesn't go his way he throws his toys out of the pram and throws in a transfer request. Yes we've given him what he wants before, but the last time was a time when he was our best player by miles, we'd lost Ronaldo and tevez and we really couldn't afford to lose him.

Arnie

I think that's quite a silly argument really. It's more like I want to buy an iPad mini because my original iPad is playing up and it won't connect with my computer anymore.

Being a fan of Liverpool and not some shit club like Chelsea or City, I'd expect you to think similar to me; if Suarez wanted out, if he clearly had no desire to play for the club, I assume you'd want him out?

Naturally what I and the club may want are completely different prospects, but if he signs a new contract on more money or we bow to his wishes and let an unfit unfocused Rooney start every game, I'll be disappointed. It's not to do with the image because like you say that's already been tainted. I just don't personally want someone who doesn't want to be at the club to be at the club, no matter what his talents are.
That's fair, I suppose.

If Rooney said he wanted to stay though, I still get the impression that people wouldn't want him. Making a change for the sake of it, because the idea of a fresh face like lewandowski is appealing, probably isn't a good idea.

I don't think clubs should be held to random to imbalance their squad because a player doesn't wish to see out their contract. If there's not an adequate replacement available I think clubs should just flat out refuse.
Why do we need a top class second striker? Dortmund don't have that and they thrived with Kagawa behind a 'slightly worse' RVP. Granted I'm not making the case that we're equal to Dortmund in managerial ability, playing style, etc. But that doesn't mean it's an absolute necessity to have a top top second striker, and I'd be perfectly happy with giving Hernandez and Welbeck more opportunities.
Because you can't replace a player of Rooney's calibre with a poacher. Your squad doesn't need a Lewandowski or a Falcao or a Cavani. Your squad needs a Rooney to pop up and fill in the gaps with quality during a season, providing goals and assists along the way.

You could sign a poacher and play Kagawa in that central attackin position, but I don't think you'll be half as effective over the course of a season.

Looks like Bremen wants Robin Dutt as their new coach, Dutt's currently working for the DFB.

I must admit that would be a perfect fit for both Dutt and Bremen.

That's a really well written article, it sums up every concern about Milan's future.

I still don't get why we can't sign Rijkaard. He's free, has a lot of experience with big clubs (well, one big club), he's actually good, a former Milan player, knows italian football and has won something. Having Seedorf ahead of him it's unbelievable. Also, the part about ruining Seedorf career is true, this team is not made for a newbie, Milan needs a competent guy right now, capable of managing the youngsters and get the best from the older players. At least, bring Seedorf near the team, let him learn with a great manager on his side, then see how things are.

bjaelke

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport 11m
Uefa executive committee says 2015 Champions league final to be held at Olympic Stadium, Berlin. 2015 Europa league final in Warsaw.

Meaningless statistic of the day:

Did you know that Borussia Dortmund have never lost, or even conceded a goal, against German opposition in almost 60 years of European competition?

Wilbur

Banned
Meaningless statistic of the day:

Did you know that Borussia Dortmund have never lost, or even conceded a goal, against German opposition in almost 60 years of European competition?

YOU BETTER KEEP THAT RECORD

Will do when I get in! I'll PM you my code too!
Get your brother to show you how to work swapnote. It was hard enough helping him :lol

He does have a very small brain to be fair.

Do I need to add everyone as well, they can't just add me? How odd.

Why do they keep doing the CL final in the same countries? Wembley twice in 3 years, Germany twice in a few years (albeit different stadiums)... they should be spreading it out more.

Zabojnik

Their valuation is ridiculous. The guy only scored 12 goals in 33 games while being injury prone. You'd think he was a superstar desperate to stay the way they talk but the reality is he's not the finished article and desperate to leave.

I totally expect a third club to come in with 30M€ and scoop him up, while Marotta is engaging in his usual loan/co-ownership/paying with players pantomime. Probably City. They've been too quiet on the Jojo front.

Aurelio De Laurentiis said their new manager starts with M.

So:
Mancini
Martinez
Maradona
Mr.Benitez

Mancini it is, then. Fuck, I don't want that whining cunt back in Italy. Mancio + Napoli, a match made in heaven. Not even FootballFan will dare root for them, if it happens.

Mancini to Napoli, Allegri to Roma.

Why do they keep doing the CL final in the same countries? Wembley twice in 3 years, Germany twice in a few years (albeit different stadiums)... they should be spreading it out more.

To play it at actual decent stadiums I would imagine, there's not really that many great alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom