• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game is destroying my revision so I think it's only right/fair I compromise that of anyone else who is preparing for exams.

www.curvefever.com

I'm sure some of you have probably heard of it, but it's basically Achtung, Die Kurve! (below) but better

achtung.gif

dc89

He hasn't had that problem for a while now.

Leave your hands off Cavani. He wants to come to Real Madrid, he's whole family has basically played with the idea and we seem interested.

They can have Fernandinho, Thiago, Navas and Novaretti.

We NEED Cavani.

City lose out on top target.

Consider me stunned.

:( not this shit again.

I guess financial fair play is only there for clubs like Malaga. The sad part is clubs like Ajax may be perpetually stuck on 4 champion league titles due to "fair play".

Is Silva leaving this summer? Nasri? Dzeko? Tevez? That's a lot of clearing to do.

Tevez and Dzeko. Possibly and more than likely. Silva and Nasri. Nahh.

Has Txiki Begiristain actually done anything during his time at Man City?

Yes. He's attended every first team training session.

Erm. Yeah.

subtles

James Rodriguez and João Moutinho to AS Monaco is going to be confirmed today (it's been confirmed by our portuguese media already). 70 million euros to us! Thank you guys, we were amazing here!

I think it was this past summer that Porto made £253,315,000 in profits (from 15 players and 2 managers this decade). That is unbelievable.

Meier

It's not a marketing trick because NYCFC doesn't have any fans. It's just a bit of hot air and a way for City to move players, and subsequently money, from one account to the other.

Just get on with building your much flaunted Etihad Campus and stop dicking about with this nonsense.

I think people in the UK are completely oblivious about how little that players in the MLS make. Here is a list of the salaries for Designated Players: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_Player_Rule#Current_Designated_Players. There are only 8 players who make over $1 million per year in the MLS.

Code:
2010	Thierry Henry	 FRA	New York Red Bulls	$4,350,000
2011	Robbie Keane	 IRE	Los Angeles Galaxy	$4,333,333
2012	Tim Cahill	 AUS	New York Red Bulls	$3,625,000
2010	Landon Donovan	 USA	Los Angeles Galaxy	$2,500,000
2012	Marco Di Vaio	 ITA	Montreal Impact	        $1,937,508
2013	Obafemi Martins	 NGR	Seattle Sounders FC	$1,725,000
2011	Dan Koevermans	 NED	Toronto FC  	        $1,663,323
2012	Kenny Miller	 SCO	Vancouver Whitecaps FC	$1,132,492

It's possible they could move a total fringe player there in the future (like a Roque Santa Cruz) but if they wanted to use this as a team to just absorb salaries, they picked the wrong league. There's a salary cap and in 2013 the average player will make $142,000 for the whole year. Wayne Bridge is making $135k per WEEK.

City sees the MLS as a better location for their youth stars to play than the EDS and the Championship. I'm sure they will have more control over the guys actually getting playing time as well which is the key factor in development. Additionally, they can control the training regimens, their diets, etc. there as if they were playing for the main club. It's an extension of the club that allows improved visibility for Man City in the US.

RaGe_pt

I think it was this past summer that Porto made £253,315,000 in profits (from 15 players and 2 managers this decade). That is unbelievable.

It's our business model. It's the only way we can have great players and be competitive in Europe. Unfortunately we live in a "poor" country compared to others in Europe.

Well, that's what did happen to be fair, then QPR threw a boatload of money at him. He did well really, got paid a fuck ton for a couple months work and raised his profile in the PL ahead of a certain move away from a shitty relegated team.

Apart from the raping, obviously.

Aspas is too short to fit Benteke's role! Ok, you can keep Cornelius - we'll take Helenius from Aalborg instead.

A nearly 2 meter tall forward who can't score with his head. Helenius will go to the dutch league and probably hang around in mid table teams there until the end of his career.

Az

I think people in the UK are completely oblivious about how little that players in the MLS make. Here is a list of the salaries for Designated Players: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_Player_Rule#Current_Designated_Players. There are only 8 players who make over $1 million per year in the MLS.

Code:

It's possible they could move a total fringe player there in the future (like a Roque Santa Cruz) but if they wanted to use this as a team to just absorb salaries, they picked the wrong league. There's a salary cap and in 2013 the average player will make $142,000 for the whole year. Wayne Bridge is making $135k per WEEK.

City sees the MLS as a better location for their youth stars to play than the EDS and the Championship. I'm sure they will have more control over the guys actually getting playing time as well which is the key factor in development. Additionally, they can control the training regimens, their diets, etc. there as if they were playing for the main club. It's an extension of the club that allows improved visibility for Man City in the US.

Here is a link to all players for the past few years.

Clegg

It's so weird seeing Moyes commenting now.

David Moyes: “It is clear for everyone to see that Rio has had one of his best seasons with the club and I think even from the outside you can see what a big character Rio is around the dressing room so I am delighted he has signed a new contract and I am looking forward to working with him”

Rio Ferdinand: “I am delighted to have signed a new contract. Who wouldn’t want to play in this fantastic team in front of 75,000 fans each week, it has been an incredible journey and I am glad it will continue. I can now fully concentrate on my club career, which has worked well for me over the past few years”

“This is a great team to be part of and we are now moving into a new era with the club which is very exciting. I have met with David and I am really looking forward to working with him and winning many more trophies with this great club”.

Meier

Spanish media reporting that Real Madrid have signed Isco on a 5 year contract.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised but I'd be disappointed. He should stick with Pellegrini, it's really in his best interest.

Reports in Spain suggest Madrid president Florentino Perez is keen to sign the Andalucian as part of a new 'buy Spanish' policy, and is willing to meet the €35 million release clause in his contract, but would prefer to include some players in part-exchange.

Marca has the talented playmaker on their cover on Thursday morning, and say Madrid's first offer was €20 million plus winger Jose Callejon, while AS claims Malaga would prefer young centre-forward Alvaro Morata was included in the deal, which would be sealed ahead of Madrid's presidential elections on June 16.
http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1457591/madrid-move-first-race-sign-isco?cc=5901

I guess we'll see how it all pans out. Interesting about that Madrid policy change.. I guess they are trying to overhaul their image after Mou leaves.

Pachimari

I wonder who City will go for too.

Seems like Real Madrid is going for Cavani and Neymar, Barca eventually Neymar, Bayern/Manu for Lewandowski, Monaco for Falcao and someone (PSG?) for Rooney.

I also don't think that Florentino Perez is keen on signing Isco by activating his buyout clause.

Linius

Code:

Koevermans made more than a million? What a joke :lol

Meier

The lure of Madrid/Barca is just too strong.

Wonder who City will go for now.

We have been interested in a few young guys from Roma: Pjanic and Lamela. We were also linked with Eriksen as well as Will Hughes (might be too young yet). Most of the guys City are after (or at least were before Pellegrini.. things could change completely) have been more central and defenders. Thiago has popped up as well as an option in the past week.

today we signed zapata and gave him a three year contract

i'm glad, i think he definitely deserved it with some really good performances in the second half of the season. his partnership with mexes was actually pretty damn solid for the most part, to the surprise of everyone i'm sure.

Meier

So NYCFC is going to be a glorified youth team?

To a certain extent. I'm sure there will be a full squad of typical MLS players with a few guys from Man City playing there as well. I would think the team would use it's DPs more for someone like Frank Lampard or Kaka or other high profile former European players. They'll want to win titles too.

I think the team would only send a few guys on loan there. In 2015, that could probably include guys like Rony Lopes, Jules Ntcham, Mathias Bossaerts and Jose Angel Pozo. There are a number of guys straight out of high school playing in the MLS so their age (they'd be around 18-19 then) wouldn't be a detriment.

Zabojnik

We have been interested in a few young guys from Roma: Pjanic and Lamela. We were also linked with Eriksen as well as Will Hughes (might be too young yet). Most of the guys City are after (or at least were before Pellegrini.. thinks could change completely) have been more central and defenders.

Both Pjanic and Lamera would be great and relatively cheap signings for City. Next season's Coutinhos. Roma would be crazy to sell them though. They have an interesting squad, they just need a capable manager. Allegri ftw.

Also, Meier, next time you see your guitar playing brother, tell him se has a fan in Slovenia.

L1NETT

Apparently a whole host of clubs still chasing Wells, even though he and Parky said they are staying.

Parky and his staff also signed a new 3 year deal.

Dave Kitson please Parky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom