• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Btw, a little more about the stated plan for NYCFC:

"Our intention is to work with kids from a really young age and, in the future, beginning at the age of five years old," Manchester City CEO Ferran Soriano told ESPN Deportes Radio's Jorge Ramos y Su Banda. "And we want these kids to be from New York and to learn with us how to play soccer, but first to love soccer.

"And in 10 years, we need to have a team with a core of players who have learned to play soccer with us and who understand the philosophy and the style of play. These players will be helped by big [star] players we're going to bring. But we want the heart of the team to be local talent."
A flourishing youth development system will help NYCFC meet two key objectives: to be competitive within the MLS salary budget, while also showcasing what Soriano calls "beautiful football."

"We know the rules of MLS and we think we're able to build a winning team within these rules," Soriano told media on Tuesday. "I have the self-confidence of having done this before and being able to build at the times at Barcelona, building a winning team that is also sustainable, that doesn't lose money and that follows the rules.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ng-term-goal-building-core-first-team-academy

Zabojnik

Wait what? Uefa are discussing a fifth CL ticket for the big leagues I just read. Like four isn't enough already :/

daniellevyl2408468x568.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
Wait what? Uefa are discussing a fifth CL ticket for the big leagues I just read. Like four isn't enough already :/

No, only if another team wins CL/EL. For instance, Spurs and Chelsea would have made CL last year instead of Spurs being pushed out.

Salvadora

If UEFA do bring in a Champion's League spot for the EL, they have to do away with losing teams from the CL going into it. It would make it fairer.

Linius

No, only if another team wins CL/EL. For instance, Spurs and Chelsea would have made CL last year instead of Spurs being pushed out.

But still, that would have meant five English league clubs right? It's only gonna make it harder for the smaller countries to get in.

Wilbur

Banned
If UEFA do bring in a Champion's League spot for the EL, they have to do away with losing teams from the CL going into it. It would make it fairer.

The thing is, I think its good for teams like Benfica, who don't realistically have a chance of winning the CL, to get a chance at a European trophy by going into the CL. It's only when teams like City or Chelsea fall into it that this argument comes up.

Linius

The thing is, I think its good for teams like Benfica, who don't realistically have a chance of winning the CL, to get a chance at a European trophy by going into the CL. It's only when teams like City or Chelsea fall into it that this argument comes up.

Yeah, but you can't make different rules for 'bigger clubs' :p

But still, that would have meant five English league clubs right? It's only gonna make it harder for the smaller countries to get in.

It happens like once every 10 years that a team wins the CL that doesn't qualify for CL in their league.

Clearly you can say that it's allowed for the top 5 best seeded leagues or something like that. But is that really the case with this suggestion? Thought it would be for all clubs.

Wilbur

Banned

Yeah but only in the case an English team wins. It's unfair that a team that qualified through the league should miss out but it's also weird that the winner wouldn't be in the competition next year. For instance, Dortmund + Bayern have both qualified anyway so Germany won't get an extra space next year if it was applied this season.

I know haha, so its either keep the rules or abandon them, and then you rule out teams like Basel, Benfica, Fenerbahce having any chance at a European trophy without significant investment, and that's what UEFA are trying to get away from. So I'd say just keep it the way it is now. Odds are that most seasons teams like Chelsea are going to qualify for the knockout stages, and we all would have loved to see Shakhtar in the EL for instance this season.

Arnie

Raphael Honigstein told Talksport that we are very close to landing Papa for £12million.

Please let us just wrap this up quickly.

Arnie

I like muppet Arnie. Can't wait until Spurs swoop in and swap him for Gallas + 3m
I should be revising but I've got images of Papa headbutting an Old Trafford corner flag in celebration of an 88th minute winner that sends David Moyes' United career into free fall.

Shinji stretching on the touch line nearby, flinching as Papa passes.

Wilbur

Banned
:p

Gallas is out of contract and we have four good CBs already! We need a striker.

So yeah, I guess we'll sign him instead, maybe Verts converts to Striker.

I'll be quite depressed if Soldado is available and you go for Damiao

I should be revising but I've got images of Papa headbutting an Old Trafford corner flag in celebration of an 88th minute winner that sends David Moyes' United career into free fall.

Shinji stretching on the touch line nearby, flinching as Papa passes.

Might still happen, Schalke did make the CL after all.

I'll be quite depressed if Soldado is available and you go for Damiao

As would I, I don't get why we would sign Damiao, expensive and unproven in Europe. Not denying he looks a good player but I'd rather sign someone who has done the business in the top leagues that can come and make an instant impact. Sandro took quite a while to adjust and settle into the team.

dc89

Guys, the fact Barca and Madrid are going for the same targets as us will not deter City. Wether we get them of not is another matter, but we won't just sack it off at the mere mention of other massive clubs.

Meier

Alexandre Lacazette got a call-up to the French team to replace Menez. He is a FIFA career mode and FM hero.

Just got an email about the next Nintendo Direct. June 11th at 7 AM Pacific. I'm sure EU news will come shortly.

Salvadora

It begins.
Ramos said:
"Gareth Bale is a Real Madrid-quality signing. He has had an exceptional season. He can punish any team in the world and has the footballing qualities we look for in Madrid.
"I am sure Madrid will not be the only team that want to sign him - but he is the right mould for us."

Madrid won't get him this season.

Maybe in 2014 or 2015. But he is still developing and only had a child with his partner last year so I would say they want to stay for the time being.

Plus AVB and Bale are blatantly having a man relationship.

Carbonox

Alexandre Lacazette got a call-up to the French team to replace Menez. He is a FIFA career mode and FM hero.

Just got an email about the next Nintendo Direct. June 11th at 7 AM Pacific. I'm sure EU news will come shortly.

Oh joy, so this forum and its servers can shit the bed cos of some shitty announcement about how a solo Tails game will be announced for the Wii U as its saviour to the delusional Wii U supporters.

Pachimari

Guys, the fact Barca and Madrid are going for the same targets as us will not deter City. Wether we get them of not is another matter, but we won't just sack it off at the mere mention of other massive clubs.

No, but the thing is, that Cavani specifically have always talked about wanting to go to Madrid, and so have his family.

I think we are going for:
- Cavani
- Neymar
- Isco

But I hope we're going for Carvajal and a midfielder (Veratti) too.

Timurid

Fucking merengues dont deserve Verratti because they can't even spell his name right.

Crikey. What are your thoughts on this Timerde?
I'm happy about it. I think it will increase the league's coefficient and hopefully we can secure more UCL spots in the near future. Lastly, France will stop being a feeder ground for blood thirsty English clubs, who think they can have their way with us.

Linius

That newest Sunhi gif is all over the internet. It made Reddit frontpage, it's in an IGN article and some pretty big Dutch blog posted it as well. All them internet stickers for Sunhi, too bad you can't buy bread with that :p

I'm happy about it. I think it will increase the league's coefficient and hopefully we can secure more UCL spots in the near future. Lastly, France will stop being a feeder ground for blood thirsty English clubs, who think they can have their way with us.

French league will just become a feeder club for better teams than Newcastle now.

GorillaJu

I can't fucking believe I spoiled Se7en for myself from that gif, too. I've still never seen the movie and my friends been harassing me to see it every week, I keep putting it off

Now it's fucking spoiled lol

shortyme

I can't fucking believe I spoiled Se7en for myself from that gif, too. I've still never seen the movie and my friends been harassing me to see it every week, I keep putting it off

Now it's fucking spoiled lol

I'm in the same boat but it is my own fault for waiting so long. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom