• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

Martyn Ziegler ‏@martynziegler 5m

Exclusive: UEFA guests incl Becks + Fergie stunned as anti-Israel protesters infiltrate London dinner tonight. Story on Press Association

Seems like a strange venue to be protesting against Israel.

Arnie

Why are used games terrible compared to other used goods then?

I'm not bothered how they relate to other used goods, I'm bothered that the people who make the game receive no cut from a used sale. It doesn't cost £100 million to write a book, and films can make a huge portion of their budget back at the box office. These sideways comparisons are pointless.

Simply, if the industry gets healthier because of this, which it will, then I'm happy to sacrifice borrowing a game. That's my opinion. There's a lot of vociferous negativity against it on NeoGAF, which strikes me as odd given the number of developers on here, and especially considering that it's a haven for the PC player who's not been able to trade games in or lend them off friends for almost a decade.

Timurid

You can't resell all kinds of other software. You can't resell an album downloaded from iTunes. You can't resell a book you buy on the Kindle. You can't resell iOS apps. This line in the sand was crossed and trampled years and years ago, even with video games (see: Steam, any CD key system).

Microsoft can do what they want with their console. Consumer rights have nothing to do with it. Don't want to participate in this particular walled garden? then don't.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Wes

venison crêpe
Atq8Sxm.gif

@BrazilStats 16m
BREAKING - Neymar to Barça: Salary: €7M. Fee: €23M if Barça wins UCL in next 3 years rises to €30M. Congratulations Barça!

@BrazilStats 2m
BREAKING - The entire dome of Santos are gathered as we speak at the 'Vila Belmiro' to announce Neymar's signing on air. [Globo Esporte]

Atq8Sxm.gif

@BrazilStats 16m
BREAKING - Neymar to Barça: Salary: €7M. Fee: €23M if Barça wins UCL in next 3 years rises to €30M. Congratulations Barça!

@BrazilStats 2m
BREAKING - The entire dome of Santos are gathered as we speak at the 'Vila Belmiro' to announce Neymar's signing on air. [Globo Esporte]

Finally someone translates.

Timurid

He's replying to somebody who asked him to.
Oh
Atq8Sxm.gif

@BrazilStats 16m

@BrazilStats 2m

A star is born!

jtb

Banned
You're comparing apples to oranges.

How so? What sets videogames apart from other forms of intellectual property good that clearly have been restricted by DRM? If anything, there's an even higher barrier to entry with Xbone since paying $500 is as clear a declaration of consent as any.

and if you want an apples to apples comparison: Steam. what makes steam different from Xbone? Sales? a more benevolent dictator?

Clegg

I know I should be excited because we're now in Champions League final day.

But all I can think of is that we're only a day away from new Arrested Development.

Clegg

I wonder if Barca will stifle Neymar's talent by imposing a style that's unfamiliar to his own.

Messi is the main man in that side. There will be some conflict between the two as to who gets the ball.

I'm not bothered how they relate to other used goods, I'm bothered that the people who make the game receive no cut from a used sale. It doesn't cost £100 million to write a book, and films can make a huge portion of their budget back at the box office. These sideways comparisons are pointless.

Simply, if the industry gets healthier because of this, which it will, then I'm happy to sacrifice borrowing a game. That's my opinion. There's a lot of vociferous negativity against it on NeoGAF, which strikes me as odd given the number of developers on here, and especially considering that it's a haven for the PC player who's not been able to trade games in or lend them off friends for almost a decade.

Sideways comparisons are pointless because they destroy your argument, which itself is incredibly flawed if it only applies to the video game industry. You're basically saying that you don't care about it here because it doesn't affect you, i.e. you don't buy used games and don't borrow games. Or you're saying that only people that make video games deserve to receive a cut from a used sale. Where's the logic in that?

Arnie

He's only costing 23 Mil?

He'll cost way more than that in other payments and clauses, but even that fee would be overpaying.

And nobody's really having me off here, everyone's just sort of slipped out of the backdoor. Looking at you Sleepless.

Sideways comparisons are pointless because they destroy your argument, which itself is incredibly flawed if it only applies to the video game industry. You're basically saying that you don't care about it here because it doesn't affect you, i.e. you don't buy used games and don't borrow games. Or you're saying that only people that make video games deserve to receive a cut from a used sale. Where's the logic in that?
Eh, I borrow games fairly frequently, so I don't know where you got that impression from.

I'm willing to not borrow Call of Duty for a game of zombies if it leads to an overall shift in industry health. I'm not saying 'only people who make the game should get a cut from the sale', that's bollocks too. I've said that as it stands it doesn't work. Right now retailers keep 100% of the money from a used sale. That's wrong, no? I think it should be spread out between developer, publisher, and retailer, just like the sale of a new game.

Neither half of your argument make sense.

Zabojnik

Why is Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree such a genius? WHY?

Congrats Barca-GAF! May El Pibe De Terrible Haircut serve you well. I'm sure he will. Hopefully he'll be as entertaining and awesome as United's Ronaldo. Or the new Denilson. I'd be fine with either.

He'll cost way more than that in other payments and clauses, but even that fee would be overpaying.

And nobody's really having me off here, everyone's just sort of slipped out of the backdoor. Looking at you Sleepless.

C'mon zon. Don't let his shitty hair put hate into your heart.

C'mon zon. Don't let his shitty hair put hate into your heart.

He got one year left of his contract, 23 mil for that is a bit much especially with all the addes fees. I honestly think he's going to flop at Barca, he can be an amazing dribbler but has also been proven to be easily dominated with a bit of man power and has had bad attitude problems before, which could not be a problem in many clubs, but Barca of all places? His decision making has also seemed crazy every time I've seen him, often trying to dribble into 4 defenders even if other players are in way better positions around him if he just bothered playing it... But it will be fun to see if he can adapt to Barca.

daripad

I had not seen this thread until today (thanks evilore for moving some threads here). I may go back to watch the premier league next season, so excited since i'll finally have time on saturday mornings.

I had not seen this thread until today (thanks evilore for moving some threads here). I may go back to watch the premier league next season, so excited since i'll finally have time on saturday mornings.

Hola!!!!!!

Who do you support? Choose carefully

You're already off to a good start with your avatar, don't break my heart

Welcome aboard! Who do you support?

PS. Stay away from Woodenlung and Wilbury.

Fergie

Banned
Welcome mate. Who do you support? Or supported.

Arnie

All I know is he's that average he elevated Russia from the insignificant cunt hair of world football, to the people's gooch.

It was a mixture of them shutting him down with ease, and him arrogantly running into traffic and misplacing passes.

Wes

venison crêpe

Welcome to the party! If you have any questions feel free to ask. This thread can move very quickly at times.

Make sure to watch the Champions League Final tomorrow!

All I know is he's that average he elevated Russia from the insignificant cunt hair of world football, to the people's gooch.

It was a mixture of them shutting him down with ease, and him arrogantly running into traffic and misplacing passes.

He's at Barca now, not many better places for a young player to learn his trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom