• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FootballFan

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

JEALOUSY ALREADY IN FULL FLOW IN THIS THREAD FUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING AMAZING

FUUUUUCKKK

0GTyCIk.jpg

dx1WGAp.gif
dx1WGAp.gif
dx1WGAp.gif
dx1WGAp.gif
dx1WGAp.gif
dx1WGAp.gif
dx1WGAp.gif
dx1WGAp.gif
dx1WGAp.gif
dx1WGAp.gif
dx1WGAp.gif
dx1WGAp.gif

Clegg

I've not seen Neymar play that often tbh. I watched him during the Olympics and he didn't really do much.

Also saw him when Santos played Barca in the Club World Cup. Was quiet in that game too.

G-Unit

Yes yes! Neymar is almost ours.

Where is that dude that came to the thread announcing it was a done deal to madrid and lawyers were already preparing the documents.... with a twitter source. LOLOLOLOL

Eh, I borrow games fairly frequently, so I don't know where you got that impression from.

I'm willing to not borrow Call of Duty for a game of zombies if it leads to an overall shift in industry health. I'm not saying 'only people who make the game should get a cut from the sale', that's bollocks too. I've said that as it stands it doesn't work. Right now retailers keep 100% of the money from a used sale. That's wrong, no? I think it should be spread out between developer, publisher, and retailer, just like the sale of a new game.

Neither half of your argument make sense.

I was saying it was either/or. But ok, so you're not saying that only people who make games should get a cut from used sales. Then where do you draw the line? You tried to shut the door pretty quickly on these sideways comparisons, but you want to be the one who says exactly where this should apply and where it shouldn't? Or does it not apply the moment you try and sell your car for the first time?

And why is it wrong? Because of the health of the industry? Bullshit, you can make that argument for literally anything.

Health of the industry... there's an interesting one. An industry that can't support itself through ordinary sales practices that every other industry is subject to. If there was anything that ever met the definition of 'unsustainable' it would be that, no?

"I've spent a £100 million budget on development and marketing and have decided to sell my product at £40 a pop and yet I can't break even overall without at least 4 million sales worldwide."

That's your fucking problem right there, not used games.

TeegsD

Health of the industry... there's an interesting one. An industry that can't support itself through ordinary sales practices that every other industry is subject to. If there was anything that ever met the definition of 'unsustainable' it would be that, no?

"I've spent a £100 million budget on development and marketing and have decided to sell my product at £40 a pop and yet I can't break even overall without at least 4 million sales worldwide."

Raising prices on new games isnt the way to go. In fact, games should be cheaper than they are. $60 for a game is fucking bull

Clegg

A few journo's are saying Santos have actually accepted two bids from different clubs( second club is probably Real).

It's now up to Neymar to decide where he wants to play.

Edit: Beaten by the horse

Arnie

I was saying it was either/or. But ok, so you're not saying that only people who make games should get a cut from used sales. Then where do you draw the line?

What do you mean 'where do you draw the line'? No, the retailer should get money from the sale because they're enabling it, just like they should from all sales, but I don't think it's fair for developers and publishers to receive no cut whatsoever. So many of you seem to think that's acceptable, though.
Bale said:
You tried to shut the door pretty quickly on these sideways comparisons, but you want to be the one who says exactly where this should apply and where it shouldn't? Or does it not apply the moment you try and sell your car for the first time?
How does me saying sideways comparisons are defunct stop me from outlining my specific argument?

Used car sales are completely different. Games are disposable entertainment. If you go into a shop and see a used game for a few quid cheaper than a new one you're just going to buy that, because ultimately it doesn't matter. That logic doesn't translate to the car industry because cars aren't disposable purchases that are bought for a few hours of fun. The draw for a used sale isn't as large, and used sales aren't crippling car manufacturers like they are in the games industry.
Bale said:
And why is it wrong? Because of the health of the industry? Bullshit, you can make that argument for literally anything.
It's wrong because it affects the games publishers are willing to make.

If games don't make much money any more then publishers aren't going to take risks. If the industry was healthier they might, and thus this policy would make the industry healthier (that's a fact).

So go and draw up some hypothetical argument about a future where the industry's healthier whilst preserving used game sales and the borrowing of games. Great, I'd sign up to that, too. But as it stands that doesn't exist and this is the next best option.

That contributes, yes. But that doesn't disqualify my argument.

But that's the industry, and that isn't changing. People (you, me, Gareth) demand a certain product now, and developers aren't scaling down. As I say, I'd support a changing of the industry that fixed this but that isn't happening any time soon.

Arnie

Laboured, your argument is essentially the same as saying we shouldn't be reducing our carbon emissions because cars and planes exist. Games aren't going to suddenly get really cheap to make and market in today's saturated marketplace. Telling the industry to do things for less money is a pipe dream that isn't going to happen.

At least this is a practical reality that will help the industry's health in some way. It's not perfect, but it helps. Inevitably that's a good thing.

Laboured, your argument is essentially the same as saying we shouldn't be reducing our carbon emissions because cars and planes exist. Games aren't going to suddenly get really cheap to make and market in today's saturated marketplace. Telling the industry to do things for less money is a pipe dream that isn't going to happen.

At least this is a practical reality that will help the industry's health in some way. It's not perfect, but it helps. Inevitably that's a good thing.

I think that the entire AAA development process is utterly bloated from top to bottom. It is unsustainable if you need CoD/FIFA sales numbers to prosper. The system seems fundamentally broken from a really basic numbers point of view, and the idea that consumers need give up their rights because dev houses can't run their fucking ships properly is unacceptable on any level you wish to name.

jtb

Banned
honestly, it's pretty obvious the gaming industry is heading for a nasty collapse in the coming years—I don't necessarily think delaying that is necessarily a good thing, or even within the realm of possibility. but that has nothing to do with used games.

Just let these idiotic companies pay for their idiotic decisions (namely: ever listening to the "hardcore" to begin with, their obsession with Hollywood, David Cage) and bring on an iOS/android future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom