• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

I watched the first season of GoT without having read the books and enjoyed it immensely.

I then watched the second season having read the books and thought it was pretty terrible. Season three is shaping up nicely though.

Arnie

Don't know how I missed this photo, fucking hell did Gandalf pop that pyro?

BKFnEOkCYAEv-h1.jpg

Proper liverbird, that.

deGod

I watched the first season of GoT without having read the books and enjoyed it immensely.

I then watched the second season having read the books and thought it was pretty terrible. Season three is shaping up nicely though.

The books are usually much better then films/tv shows. LotR books were much better then the films

Arnie

LOTR books were dull as. Films were brilliant. Don't really rate Tolkien as a writer, to be honest.

With Game of Thrones it's kind of the other way around, for me. GRRM is brilliant.

LOTR books were dull as. Films were brilliant. Don't really rate Tolkien as a writer, to be honest.

With Game of Thrones it's kind of the other way around, for me. GRRM is brilliant.

I just started ASOS, it's fucking great and I'm only 10% in

I've heard AFFC and ADWD are a bit of a drag though :(

kharma45

His writing was dry at times (like so many older books) but the legendarium he created is phenomenal.

GorillaJu

Jesus Christ, Arnie. You need to be apologizing for this, right now.

Salvadora

I'm with Arnie. LOTR is as dull as ditch water. The Hobbit on the other hand, is brilliant.

The books are usually much better then films/tv shows. LotR books were much better then the films

This is generally how I feel.

I'm not a huge book purist, but any changes don't feel 'right'.

Arnie

I just started ASOS, it's fucking great and I'm only 10% in

I've heard AFFC and ADWD are a bit of a drag though :(
AFFC is dry but enjoyable, ADWD is fucking brilliant.

ASOS is godly.
His writing was dry at times (like so many older books) but the legendarium he created is phenomenal.
Aye, I just get sucked in, and completely transported.

Reading LOTR I'm fighting with the writing.

Arnie

The Hobbit is great. Read it in primary school, absolutely loved it, moved straight onto Lord of the Rings, hated it. Perhaps that early memory of trying and failing to enjoy LOTR has tainted them for me all this time.

Or perhaps they're just boring.

Wilbur

Banned

Agreed. He's created a fucking amazing world with great characters and events and mythology, but his writing is dry as fuck.

Films are class.

GorillaJu

I don't take issue with the statement that LOTR is boring, but comparing it with A Tale of Ice and Fire is wrong. LOTR is literature. ATOIAF is pulpy "shocked you!" fiction. It's like Harry Potter but with fucking and castrating.

Arnie

I don't take issue with the statement that LOTR is boring, but comparing it with A Tale of Ice and Fire is wrong. LOTR is literature. ATOIAF is pulpy "shocked you!" fiction. It's like Harry Potter but with fucking and castrating.

Well I guess I love pulpy 'shock you' fiction and despise literature.

Makes no difference how you classify them, just that I find one set of books more enjoyable than the other.

And let's not ridicule one plot and leave the other one untouched. The notion of Gandalf falling down a chasm to be reborn as some white wizard is pretty much the definition of 'shock you' fiction. Either that or some fuck off eagles that turn up at opportune moments but never actually influence the plot like they really should.

You know me so well.

The image of Bale doing a heart sign on a FIFA cover is just too funny. Someone should photoshop it.

Tried to Google it but it seems no one shares my vision.

I found 5 to be significantly better in mulitplayer. Played it with my mate and it was great. Wouldn't play it in singleplayer.

Hopefully Mikami's new game will be as good as Resi 4.

Yet to play 4 but really enjoyed Revelations. If it's anything like that I think I will love it.

Clegg

Tbh I sometimes wish George Martin was a slightly better writer. The stories he creates are fascinating but they're let down by some pretty average prose.

K1LLER7

Yet to play 4 but really enjoyed Revelations. If it's anything like that I think I will love it.

It's so much better :)

Scored one of the goals of the season for BelieveFC. picked the ball at the halfway line. Ran at the opposition's defence, 360 turn past the defender, slotted it under the keeper.

It's so much better :)

Scored one of the goals of the season for BelieveFC. picked the ball at the halfway line. Ran at the opposition's defence, 360 turn past the defender, slotted it under the keeper.

Can't wait!

Without having a target man I can see why you did it all by yourself :p congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom