• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you guys want dc love get on Whatsapp, although Wilbury hasn't added Hitcher since I've asked him. I think he hates Hitcher.

fightfightfightfightfightfight

Slizz

Will Zaha be enough for the flanks? Young, Nani and Valencia all failed to produce last year, and players like Mirallas and Pienaar were extremely important to Moyes success in the season just gone.

Don't think Zaha will be enough, especially first year in the PL. I'm extremely hopeful Valencia is starting to get back in to form. He looked better in the last 3 games in the PL and looked decent for Ecuador. Hopefully he can get back to 2 years ago form.

Blablurn

uD4DmbD.png

GorillaJu

Nick Powell
Shinji Kagawa
Robin Van Persie
Angelo Henrique
Alexander Buttner
Phil Jones
David De Gea
Ashley Young
Chris Smalling
Javier Hernandez
Marnick Vermijl
Bebe
Anders Lindegaard
Antonio Valencia
Michael Owen
Gabriel Obertan
Mame Biram Diouf
Paul Pogba
Dimitar Berbatov
Zoran Tosic
Adam Ljajic
Ritche De Laet

I feel like as his career ended, Ferguson's signings got worse and worse, with the exceptions of Berbatov, RVP, and Hernandez. I guess he never lost his touch when it came to finding strikers.

I personally don't think Zaha will be looked at as a good transfer in a few years. Looking at all these signings going back, if I were a United fan I'd be relatively excited to see what kind of names come in with a new manager.

Apparently this is the first time Abramovich has given a 4 year contract to a new manager. Hope he has a bit of patience this time.

I haven't been able to find anything to back this up, but I think Scolari had a 4 year deal, afterwards Carlo/AVB both got 3 year deals, RDM was 2... seems the club think he might actually be around for a while?!

Tc91

EPISODE TALK WARNING WARNING

I can't believe that ending it's shocked me so much, the moment when the door's got shut and Catelyn heard the Lannister song on the cello was insane. She knew what was coming.

Clegg

That's actually a pretty good list of signings Morsel. Fergies signings were worse in the early 2000's.

And it's much too early to predict what route Zaha's career will take.

EPISODE TALK WARNING WARNING

I can't believe that ending it's shocked me so much, the moment when the door's got shut and Catelyn heard the Lannister song on the cello was insane. She knew what was coming.

I'm a little surprised Robb didn't notice, and Arya was so close ;_;

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I feel like as his career ended, Ferguson's signings got worse and worse, with the exceptions of Berbatov, RVP, and Hernandez. I guess he never lost his touch when it came to finding strikers.

That list is no worse than any other team's recent transfers. Sinclair, Bentley, Downing, we've all bought some cloggers over the years. But Fergie generally gets even the shit players to contribute something.

Wilbur

Banned
Nick Powell
Shinji Kagawa
Robin Van Persie
Angelo Henrique
Phil Jones
David De Gea
Chris Smalling
Javier Hernandez
Marnick Vermijl
Antonio Valencia
Paul Pogba
Dimitar Berbatov

I personally don't think Zaha will be looked at as a good transfer in a few years. Looking at all these signings going back, if I were a United fan I'd be relatively excited to see what kind of names come in with a new manager.

All these are good signings or too early to call it. Valencia and Berbatov have both contributed massively to title wins, Pogba was a good signing but something fucked up.

Wilbur

Banned
What's the story with him? Tapped up from some French club, never really got a chance but obviously is good enough for Juventus and is storming it over there. Was there some falling out or was he just overlooked because he didn't seem good enough?

Fergie was easing him in, slower than Pogba would have liked and using Scholes who came back and played well. I'm pretty confident Pogba would have played this season a lot but he left and he's doing well so fair play to him.

Nick Powell
Shinji Kagawa
Robin Van Persie
Angelo Henrique
Alexander Buttner
Phil Jones
David De Gea
Ashley Young
Chris Smalling
Javier Hernandez
Marnick Vermijl
Bebe
Anders Lindegaard
Antonio Valencia
Michael Owen
Gabriel Obertan
Mame Biram Diouf
Paul Pogba
Dimitar Berbatov
Zoran Tosic
Adam Ljajic
Ritche De Laet

If you look at the list of players he signed between 2002-2006 the above looks incredible.

Clegg

What's the story with him? Tapped up from some French club, never really got a chance but obviously is good enough for Juventus and is storming it over there. Was there some falling out or was he just overlooked because he didn't seem good enough?
He wasn't playing particularly well for our reserves that season. Some feel he wasn't giving it his all because he thought he was too good for the reserves despite only just moving up to that level.

Then he asked for a shed load of money even though he'd barely played any senior football at all.

Clegg

Fergie had a really rotten run of signings in the early/mid 2000's.

Djemba Djemba
Billion
Kleberson
Dong
Miller
Manucho

From about 2007 onwards he still made speculative punts but his other signings were of a much higher standard.

Meier

Ljajic is a great player. Non-United fans are lucky his move got scuppered.

Someone post a link to Arnie's show. Does it start in 22 minutes?

Tc91

I'm a little surprised Robb didn't notice, and Arya was so close ;_;

Yeah Arya, her character has really grown on me her stuff with The Hound is great.

I read an article on why George R. R. Martin wrote this part this little bit stood out:

What sort of reactions have you received from readers over the years about the scene?

Extreme. Both positive and negative. That was the hardest scene I’ve ever had to write. It’s two-thirds of the way through the book, but I skipped over it when I came to it. So the entire book was done and there was still that one chapter left. Then I wrote it. It was like murdering two of your children. I try to make the readers feel they’ve lived the events of the book. Just as you grieve if a friend is killed, you should grieve if a fictional character is killed. You should care. If somebody dies and you just go get more popcorn, it’s a superficial experience isn’t it?

I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this, but: Have you ever regretted the scene?

Martin: No. Not as a writer. It’s probably the most powerful scene in the books. It cost me some readers, but gained me many more.

He's not afraid to throw in a twist like that and upset some viewers.

Thing is, if you want to pick up another Ronaldo sifting through young talent you're gonna have to put up with a few wingers that turn out to be Bebe 2.0

If you guys want dc love get on Whatsapp, although Wilbury hasn't added Hitcher since I've asked him. I think he hates Hitcher.

fightfightfightfightfightfight

Argument-starting, FootballFan style :p

Last of Us multiplayer seems potentially interesting, if a little throwaway and more unique in its combination of common traits than anything in particular

Tc91

So many spoilers. Think I'll leave the internet till later tonight. Still have to watch last nights episode.

I hope no one saw what I just did, I quoted my own spoiler and didn't know it un-spoilered the whole thing!

I'm just gonna quit talking about it now, I'm off to play some LoL.

Yeah Arya, her character has really grown on me her stuff with The Hound is great.

I read an article on why George R. R. Martin wrote this part this little bit stood out:

What sort of reactions have you received from readers over the years about the scene?

Extreme. Both positive and negative. That was the hardest scene I’ve ever had to write. It’s two-thirds of the way through the book, but I skipped over it when I came to it. So the entire book was done and there was still that one chapter left. Then I wrote it. It was like murdering two of your children. I try to make the readers feel they’ve lived the events of the book. Just as you grieve if a friend is killed, you should grieve if a fictional character is killed. You should care. If somebody dies and you just go get more popcorn, it’s a superficial experience isn’t it?

I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this, but: Have you ever regretted the scene?

Martin: No. Not as a writer. It’s probably the most powerful scene in the books. It cost me some readers, but gained me many more.

He's not afraid to throw in a twist like that and upset some viewers.

I can see many who will stop now. I feel like, I will unlikely stop, but it feels like I would.

Many characters has died in the show but Robb especially was done in a way that feels like he's the peoples' hero. The Starks in general feel so, genuinely didn't expect anyone to get the Throne but him. He felt, for the most part, like the main character in the show.

I wonder where the show will go from here, I mean this is only the third book.

Meier

I never knew you could just click on spoiler untext to display it all. For all these years I've been dragging my cursor over it.

Here's what our very own FF looks like:

enhanced-buzz-21639-1366743976-0.jpg

GQman2121

Banned
Pretty pleased that things are going as planned. Our roster should begin to take shape now that he's in the building on a daily basis. I expect a few players to go and at least three signing's to come in at minimum.

One thing I'm certain about, we're a much stronger team now than we were in 2004.

Jose signed five players that summer: Drogba, Carvalho, Ferreria, Kezman & Robben. While all five of them were very good at the time, I think the current players (Drog & Ricky being the exception because they were world beaters then) are better. Robben was brilliant when healthy, but Mata is already better in two seasons than Robben ever was with us.

Anyway, excited to see what he does first. I'm going to the game in New York on August 4th. It could be against Milan or Valencia.

BACK BARS EVERYWHERE

Sounds like a terrible 2 Chainz song. So a 2 Chainz song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom