• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

2,w=583,c=0.bild.jpeg

Young Thomas Müller
I love this sort of stuff.

He's living the dream. Imagine doing what he's done for your boyhood club.

In other news Barca have signed Ter Stegen and will loan him back to Gladbach for a year, according to Capitano Bullshit. Hopefully that nips their Reina interest in the bud, and we can use his friendship with Villa to full effect.

Blablurn

lol, Klinsmann wnated to sell Müller to Hoffenheim because he thought he was not good enough. The deal didnt happen because Hoffenheim didnt want to pay enough and because our former youth team coach Herman Gerland heavily disagreed to do this.

Kenka

lol, Klinsmann wnated to sell Müller to Hoffenheim because he thought he was not good enough. The deal didnt happen because Hoffenheim didnt want to pay enough and because our former youth team coach Herman Gerland heavily disagreed to do this.
Hoeness also openly stated in a french magazine that Klinsmann was a bad manager as opposed to van Gaal who was a good one. The former didn't know how to motivate his troops while the later was very arrogant but competent.

fuenf

Are you sure he wanted to sell him? I read it as "he didnt oppose a transfer"... didnt Klinsmann take credit for discovering Müller?

An article from 2009: http://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussba...r-von-bayern-muenchen-veto-von-klinsmann.html

"Hoffenheims Versuch, Müller zu verpflichten, scheiterte am Veto der Vereinsführung und Bayern-Trainer Jürgen Klinsmann."

Lol the comments under the Spox article are amazing in retrospect.

http://sportbild.bild.de/SPORT/bund...-fuer-bayern-waren-ralf-rangnick-zu-viel.html

An old article that backs up the "Gerland intervention" claim, Rangnick is quoted saying that Bayern wanted 3m for Müller. Hoffenheim were apparently interested in Badstuber too.

Like I said before, love him or hate but credit Klinsmann for changing the culture of the club. He's now used as a scapegoat but he actually changed a lot of stuff for the better.

Kicker ratings 2013:
Torhüter:

Weltklasse:
1. Weidenfeller (Dortmund)
2. Neuer (Bayern)

Internationale Klasse:
3. Trapp (Frankfurt)

Im weiteren Kreis:
4. Leno (Leverkusen)
5. Manniger (Augsburg)
6. Baumann (Freiburg)
7. Hildebrand
8. Adler (Hamburg)
9. Zieler (Hannover)
10. Benaglio (Wolfsburg)
11. Ulreich (Stuttgart)
12. ter Stegen (Gladbach)

Blickfeld:
Hesl (Fürth)
Schäfer (Nürnberg)

Innenverteidiger:

Weltklasse:
keiner

Internationale Klasse:
1. Boateng (Bayern)
2. Dante (Bayern)
3. Subotic (Dortmund)
4. van Buyten (Bayern)
5. Hummels (Dortmund)

Im weiteren Kreis
6. Naldo (Wolfsburg)
7. Sokratis (Bremen)
8. Toprak (Leverkusen)
9. Stranzl (Gladbach)
10. Ginter (Freiburg)
11. Höwedes
12. Diagne (Freiburg)
13. Anderson (Frankfurt)

Blickfeld:
Callsen-Bracker
Latka
Matip
Niedermeier
Nilsson
Tasci

confuziz

Banned
Possible line-up for tonights U21 game against Germany : Zoet (PSV) - Van Rhijn (Ajax), De Vrij (Feyenoord), Martins Indi (Feyenoord), Blind (Ajax) - Van Ginkel (Vitesse), Maher (AZ), Strootman (PSV) - Wijnaldum (PSV), Luuk De Jong (Gladbach), O. John (Benfica)

Pretty strong line-up if you ask me!

Blablurn

I love this sort of stuff.

He's living the dream. Imagine doing what he's done for your boyhood club.

In other news Barca have signed Ter Stegen and will loan him back to Gladbach for a year, according to Capitano Bullshit. Hopefully that nips their Reina interest in the bud, and we can use his friendship with Villa to full effect.

I feel depressed a lil. I was the same when I was lil. Even having the same shirt. And now lets see what happened... he became CL winner and I struggle with my bachelor degree :/ not because i wanted to become footballer but more because i havent achieved anything yet : /

Tc91

Tevez is a maniac. I'm not sold on the idea.

You should be. Incredible player who will give his all for the team, never stops all game. He'll chase every ball, his closing down is immense and he's a superb finisher.

Maybe City fans took to him so fast cause he came from United but I bet there won't be many City fans who will be glad to see the back of him even after his Argentina antics.

Nyx

Possible line-up for tonights U21 game against Germany : Zoet (PSV) - Van Rhijn (Ajax), De Vrij (Feyenoord), Martins Indi (Feyenoord), Blind (Ajax) - Van Ginkel (Vitesse), Maher (AZ), Strootman (PSV) - Wijnaldum (PSV), Luuk De Jong (Gladbach), O. John (Benfica)

Pretty strong line-up if you ask me!

Van der Hoorn > De Vrij

DominoKid

:lol that Fifa 14 trailer.

took one look at it and it's the same old shit. i love FIFA, but i havent had the urge to buy one since FIFA 11. it always feels like a waste of money when i can pop in the new one at a friends place and still beat the hell out of them.

Thanks for posting them. Hard to disagree with that list. Badstuber not on the list due to his injury?

Well of course. Those are the ratings from 1/1/13 until now, Badstuber didn't play a single match.

Boateng ahead of Dante is very surprising to be honest and I'd argue it's wrong, too. Boateng was great at the end of the season but had lost his starting place due to the red card in the CL. Dante played constantly great.

Interesting points on Mourinho's return to the Prem:

During his first spell at Chelsea, he was faced with a pack of managerial silverbacks, all wrestling for dominance, validation, and a competitive advantage. Into the fray he waded, all windmilling arms, soundbites falling from his flapping mouth. Alex Ferguson was neutralised for two seasons with flattery and fine Portuguese wine. Arsène Wenger was mocked as a "voyeur", and snubbed for failing to respond to a Christmas card. And best of all was the ongoing tiff with Rafael Benítez, a clash that could have gone down in history as one of the all-time great managerial face-offs, were it not for the fact that the actual football was so terribly terrible.

Now, though, it's pretty thin pickings. David Moyes may be a grumpy Scotsman, but he'll be spending most of his time trying not to turn into Frank O'Farrell, and the rest of it trying not to turn into Dave Sexton. Watching Mourinho bicker with Roberto Mancini and his dignity fringe might have been entertaining, but Manuel Pellegrini seems far too polite to entertain any genuine needle. Wenger's still here, of course, but like his team has diminished in prickliness, intensity and relevance. Even with the possibility of some left-field antagonism - perhaps a blazing row with Paolo di Canio about the finer nuances of Mediterranean authoritarianism - it's hard to escape the thought that Mourinho is returning to a quieter, calmer, less fervid place. That the big beasts just don't roam here any more.

That was one of the problems with this season in Spain. With Pep Guardiola gone, with Tito Vilanova absent through illness and keeping his own counsel, and with the league title more-or-less over by Christmas, Mourinho lacked a natural enemy and ended up at war with his own squad. Picking a row with Sergio Ramos and the vastly irritating Iker Casillas may be admirable, but this season's Mourinho was a sullen parody of himself. A one-sided argument becomes an odd man shouting. A character without context becomes just a confusing monologue. Mourinho needs his Beníatez like an ostler needs his ostle.

http://www.football365.com/profile365/8759566/Profile365

Linius

Aaaargh, fuck you Modest Mouse. They canceled their complete European tour because they want to finish their album this summer and it took longer than expected. Way to go, shit excuse.

bjaelke

Wow, the top story on ESPN.com (not ESPNFC or anything, proper ESPN.com) is about the racism plaguing Italian football. I honestly can't remember the top story ever being about soccer other than maybe during the World Cup when the US wins or something.

ibmMWBlfFhrm7f.png

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/9338962/when-beautiful-game-turns-ugly

Looks like this will probably be in the next ESPN the Magazine.

This is a fantastic read. Finally had time to read it this morning and it was definitely worth the time.

spidye

Kicker ratings 2013:

I totally agree with that list.
weidenfeller played his best season in his career.
neuer had a very good defense in front of him. other than the two finals he couldn't really show his class this season.

Boateng was very, very important for us in the end. Dante played played very well but made some crucial mistakes at the end of the season ann his overall form wasn't as good as it was at the beginning of the year.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Interesting points on Mourinho's return to the Prem:

Did this writer forget AVB existed? Spurs - Chelsea is going to be amazing next season. Master v apprentice in a massive derby fixture. I can't wait to see how AVB and Mou interact.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Latest rumour: Ogbonna for €8 mill + Immobile. What a fucking steal.
KuGsj.gif

I know he is, and at €15m we should probably jump and tell Fiorentina to go fuck themselves.

But he's still a maniac who sometimes does maniacal things. Not Juve material mentally.

Conte is no Mancini, he can handle him!
3AQmK.gif

And if he misbehaves, we can always stop paying him his 'bonuses', effectively reducing his salary in the process. :p

Walshy

It's incredible how successful Chelsea's back room staff have been from that era (not in trophies but becoming actual managers).

AZozfD5.png

ribery got an extension till 2017

van buyten till 2014

So van Buyten to compensate the current loss of Badstuber. Not sure if I would have renewed Ribery until 2017. He is prone to injuries and his lack of defending before Heynckes could come back with Pep. I guess he deserved a pension contract but it am not sure how that will turn out for Bayern.

fuenf

Well of course. Those are the ratings from 1/1/13 until now, Badstuber didn't play a single match.

Boateng ahead of Dante is very surprising to be honest and I'd argue it's wrong, too. Boateng was great at the end of the season but had lost his starting place due to the red card in the CL. Dante played constantly great.

No it's not, Dante is a slow defender who got exposed a number times. Neuer and Boateng saved his ass alot, he's good but way overhyped.

Blablurn

So van Buyten to compensate the current loss of Badstuber. Not sure if I would have renewed Ribery until 2017. He is prone to injuries and his lack of defending before Heynckes could come back with Pep. I guess he deserved a pension contract but it am not sure how that will turn out for Bayern.

i think he is inury free since heynckes joined us. dont worry.

Klinsmann was the single worst thing that happened to us.

what a fuck up.

no doubt, when i called my dad and told him he would become our new coach he didnt believe it

do you still have the buddha statues

i think they were gone after klinsmann left lol. that was really everywhere in the news haha

2206036230_7542be7892_z.jpg

I disagree.

omg:/

fuenf

Klinsmann was the single worst thing that happened to us.

what a fuck up.

No he wasnt he may have cost us one season, but he laid the foundation for everything that happened afterwards (willingly or not):

• trainings centre
  • coaching stuff (Norman, Martins)
  • Hans Jörg Butt -> Neuer
  • Heynckes comeback (he already retired)
  • Bayern's spending spree afterwards

He wasnt even that bad, look at the squad he worked with. Rensing(!), Lell, Ottl, Sosa and Breno come to my mind. Bayern played a great first half of the season under him, but somehow everything fell apart after they thrashed Stuttgart in the DFB Pokal (5-1 or 5-2 dunno). I still remember Uli saying 'this is the best Bayern has EVER played'. The central midfield was old (ZE, Bommel), the whole squad was plagued by injuries and many referee decisions went against them (the disallowed Klose goal against Hamburg could've changed the course of the season).

It's easy and popular to blame Klinsmann, but he wasnt as bad as everyone is making him out be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom