• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yen

WiJt0iM.jpg
lol

I've only seen Fernandinho in Shaktar's CL ties but he looked very good to me.

Fernandinho and Navas are fairly inspired signings, to me. If nothing else but because they aren't players who are "trendy" like Cavani, Bale or Suarez are. They have a much higher maturity level than City's recent transfers. Maturity is something they sorely lacked in the last year.

To be fair a lot of clubs wanted Fernandinho. It's just that no one wanted to pay what City did. Just like no one else wanted to pay what Anzhi did for Willian. Or Monaco for Moutinho/Rodriguez.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
TOTTENHAM star Benoit Assou-Ekotto is close to sealing a move to Fenerbahce, with West Brom's Jonas Olsson set to be his replacement.

Cameroon international Assou-Ekotto is due to fly to Istanbul tomorrow for a medical, according to reports in Turkey.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

To be fair a lot of clubs wanted Fernandinho. It's just that no one wanted to pay what City did. Just like no one else wanted to pay what Anzhi did for Willian. Or Monaco for Moutinho/Rodriguez.

Oh come on GB, be impressed that City have managed to scout a CL quarter final performer and pay a trifling £30 million for him. They've stolen a bargain from under everyone's noses, just like they did with Aguero.

I'd say it's essentially a lateral move. The taxes are minimal in Turkey and pretty high in Portugal so he's going to make a lot more money. This might open the door for them to cash in on Yilmaz.

I didn't recognise the logo on the top so assumed it was a nouveau-rich Turkish team, or one of those teams who just obliterate their wage structure to get a big-name signing :p

Fener's alright, wonder what it means for Kuyt.

Oh come on GB, be impressed that City have managed to scout a CL quarter final performer and pay a trifling £30 million for him. They've stolen a bargain from under everyone's noses, just like they did with Aguero.

They signed a very good player though. And eventually no one questions the transfer fee of a player that performs.

Ushojax

AVB you are dead to me for getting rid of BAE. You couldn't handle the swag so you had to give him the boot.

People like Jamie Redknapp and Graeme Souness will because they've never heard of him.

Redknapp will make both of these statements at some point in the season in reference to Fernandinho

'We literally saw a lot of him in the Champions League, top, top player.'

'That's a lot of money to be spending on a player who's an unknown, none of us had ever even heard of him'

He may also pretend that he watches Ukrainian football

GorillaJu

That's not what I was implying. It's just a different category of player from who they've been targeting over the last few seasons, which would read like a top 5 list of in-form players from the major leagues. It just shows that they're being more purposeful than haphazard with how they spend their money. If I were a City fan I'd be encouraged by that.

Zabojnik

He'll be right. We always play him on wing or behind striker anyway.

We do have Milos Krasic up for sale though! Anyone want a really talented winger? He played for Juventus for three months! Resume is legit.

Fixed that for ya. What a signing he was!

c3media1119825immaginex.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
Guys, Jamie Redknapp's already had his say on Fernandinho:

It may be early days but Fernandinho is the signing of the summer

Fernandinho is a sensational capture for Manchester City. He could be the best midfielder in the Barclays Premier League next season.

Chelsea have made their own statement with the appointment of their manager, Jose Mourinho, but Manchester City are making all the noise off the field with their signings.

They needed more power in midfield, having been over-reliant on Yaya Toure. Both Gareth Barry and Javier Garcia are too one-paced.

Fernandinho can become a monster. His stand-out Champions League performances for
Shakhtar Donetsk suggest he will be a weapon in the Premier League once he comes to terms with the increased fitness demands.

He is an expensive investment for a player who has just turned 28. His fee and salary is believed to be costing £30million but it’s not as if City are hard up.

Full name Fernando Luiz Rosa (Fernandinho means little Fernando) he is thin up top but his power comes from his thighs and he covers the ground at speed.

There is nothing worse as a midfield player than a rival who runs at you. It takes you out of your comfort zone.

We pigeon-hole midfielders into what they can and can’t do. This Brazilian can do the lot. He can play one-twos at real pace, drive at opponents, tackle, intercept, win the ball and set up a breakaway. He is what City have been missing.

They also needed more width and they have moved quickly to sign Jesus Navas, who is a flying machine.

He’s a terrific crosser of the ball but, while he will resolve City’s problem with being too narrow, who will get on the end of his crosses?

Maybe there is still more to come from them in the transfer market, especially if Edin Dzeko departs. So that’s two players, costing close to £50m, who will make an instant impact on their team.

Last summer, City were slow to share Roberto Mancini’s vision and lost out on Robin van Persie to Manchester United (and lost the title in their indecision).

They have not made the same mistake again, with Manuel Pellegrini still to take up his post.

All three leading contenders need new players, which promises a crazy transfer market with a trio of new managers looking to lay down their marker.

United are still looking for more goals from midfield (Cristiano Ronaldo and/or Cesc Fabregas would do the trick), Chelsea need a striker and are looking at Hulk, among others.

All this makes you think one thing: I love the Ashes and the Lions, but I can’t wait for the football season to begin.

New managers, new heroes. Bring it on.

Wilbur

Banned
Left-back you mean? If so definitely not, he's shit in that position.

I guess it means Rose + a new signing will compete.

I did mean left back, edited it after soz.

But Olsson? I don't get it. If he joins, surely he's fourth or fifth choice. Dawson, Kaboul and Vert are all better, and Caulker will be.

Redknapp will make both of these statements at some point in the season in reference to Fernandinho

'We literally saw a lot of him in the Champions League, top, top player.'

'That's a lot of money to be spending on a player who's an unknown, none of us had ever even heard of him'

He may also pretend that he watches Ukrainian football

Well, I hold my hands up. Apparently he has heard of him:

"Fernandinho is a sensational capture for Manchester City. He could be the best midfielder in the Barclays Premier League next season. Fernandinho can become a monster. His stand-out Champions League performances for Shakhtar Donetsk suggest he will be a weapon in the Premier League once he comes to terms with the increased fitness demands. He is an expensive investment for a player who has just turned 28. His fee and salary is believed to be costing £30million but it’s not as if City are hard up."

edit: and beaten twice. fuck this. goodnight.

This Brazilian can do the lot. He can play one-twos at real pace, drive at opponents, tackle, intercept, win the ball and set up a breakaway. He is what City have been missing.

All this time I must have been hallucinating that Yaya Toure plays for City.

Ushojax

I did mean left back, edited it after soz.

But Olsson? I don't get it. If he joins, surely he's fourth or fifth choice. Dawson, Kaboul and Vert are all better, and Caulker will be.

Olsson would be the most stupid signing we could possibly make. We've been linked to him before but AVB already said that we will have 4 CBs next season with Gallas going, no more than that. Unless we are planning to sell Kaboul or Dawson then it makes no sense. Olsson is a decent CB but worse than all of ours and not even close to being an option at LB considering we still have Naughton and Rose. It seems crazy to buy West Brom's main CB and have him as a back-up LB.

Scotland vs Croatia is gonna be depressing as fuck, looks like the defence is gonna be

Hutton - Hanley - Webster - Whittaker

We're gonna be torn apart by Croatia no matter who they pick to go up front.

Now, now, just because he had a bad season doesn't mean you get to say he's always been inconsistent. Season before he was one of the better central midfielders in the world.

Players like Yaya just piss me off. Some players are inconsistent, I get that, its just something you have to accept as a football fan. But players whose effort is inconsistent, meaning they don't make anywhere near the best use of their ability, let alone their wages? That irks me.

Players like Yaya just piss me off. Some players are inconsistent, I get that, its just something you have to accept as a football fan. But players whose effort is inconsistent, meaning they don't make anywhere near the best use of their ability, let alone their wages? That irks me.

I'd still let him play on my football team tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom