• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.
is this the england U21 team that people were hyping? or was that the last iteration of U21s?

i guess when it comes to overhyping england squads though, take your pick . . .

This pic is useless without pics.

And just so you know, when some random Egyptian guy opens a food shop here that's what they sell and they call it shoarma :p

I've tasted that, it's really good but that's just like preferring Jessica Nigiri over Kate Upton (The real epic cleavage)

GorillaJu

is this the england U21 team that people were hyping? or was that the last iteration of U21s?

I don't think this team has really been the subject of hype.

That was a great hit by Henderson. He's been the best English player out there thus far.

Clegg

I don't think anyone was hyping this England side. Some of the players in the team may have been praised but that's about it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Nobody has been hyping these punks. There are some good individuals but its a shit team.

United and Spurs have much better U21 sides than this national team.

Edit: lol 3-0

kottila

Norways first goalscorer and central def Semb Berge plays in the national league for a club that's struggling financially and it was thought that they had to sell him cheaply this summer. But one of their gfans won the biggest lottery prize in Norways history (~£10mill) and bought a share of the player for £250k enabli g the club to wait for the right offer.

Nobody has been hyping these punks. There are some good individuals but its a shit team.

United and Spurs have much better U21 sides than this national team.

Edit: lol 3-0

None of these players will go on to become anything close to world class.

Honestly, I can't believe that Connor Wickham is the best English striker in his age group. That is incredibly worrying

GorillaJu

Great finish there. Ball coming down the right and the left back is nowhere to be found, Caulker yards away from the man in the box.

deroli

Yeah, honestly, do yourself a favor and stop reading bild bullshit.

We'll have an awesome team next season and bild not knowing anything about what's going on at BVB isn't new either.

Yeah I stopped reading BILD a couple of years ago. And my life is so much better now! I feel more relaxed and much less rage against the world in general. No more stories about starlets I don't care about, no more hate campaigns against people that BILD doesn't like and of course no more football bullshit.
I hate it when I'm watching Doppelpass and they're talking about BILD's headlines as if those stories always express the public opinion.

The world would be a better place without BILD.

Possibly unrelated:

BMQN_5rCMAIG5K-.jpg

Clegg

There are some good players in England's under 21 side. But they're being hindered by Pearce's terrible coaching and the complete lack of planning by the FA.

Your team would have greatly benefited by having some overage players in the squad too. Don't know why you don't have more.

Slizz

Intervention is a crazy ass show. It's the last season of it and apparently the show's subjects had more than a 50% success rate.

Well we fucking suck.

You know what really pisses me off?

Somewhere in the FA there will be young people working for the right reasons, watching this and coming to the same conclusions that have been arrived at by dozens of people in that very building over the last 20 odd years. These people want to change things, they want us to be on top of the world and actually function like an organisation where everybody is pulling in the same direction.

But the dinosaurs in charge happily sit on their lazy overpaid arses, hiding behind Pearce's defensive record prior to the tournament as though that excuses everything that is so clearly wrong with this setup. They're killing us from the inside

Hixx

There are some good players in England's under 21 side. But they're being hindered by Pearce's terrible coaching and the complete lack of planning by the FA.

Your team would have greatly benefited by having some overage players in the squad too. Don't know why you don't have more.

Because having players like Chamberlain and Jones being given the run around in the Maracana with players who will be retiring in 2 years is obviously better for their development than playing in competitive tournaments with players they will be alongside for the rest of their careers.

GorillaJu

Plays the most first team football and is being allowed to develop properly through the u21s.

Rose is the only other player out there that has experience in club football as well as being in the U21 team for awhile. Surely not coincidence that he's been England's second best player.

kottila

They don't allow overaged players in this tournament do they? All of them had to be 21 or under at the start of the qualifiers

Because having players like Chamberlain and Jones being given the run around in the Maracana with players who will be retiring in 2 years is obviously better for their development than playing in competitive tournaments with players they will be alongside for the rest of their careers.

Who gives a shit about your career and the future of the national team? We have a friendly to win.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
England..

oh_nooo_striscione_lazio_inter_ansa.jpg

-

Oh by the way, the banner's story:

The biancocelesti (Lazio) faithful have always marched to the beat of a different drum, and Sunday's match was further evidence of that. The Lazio supporters booed their team and cheered for Inter Milan - going so far as to hold up banners and sing songs in support of the Nerazzurri.

Why would Lazio fans root against their own club? It's simple, really: a victory for Lazio would have strengthened the title hopes of their bitter city rivals, Roma.

It made for a quite a surreal atmosphere inside the Stadio Olimpico. Every touch of the ball by a Lazio player was met by catcalls and whistles, while Inter players were cheered every time they did something positive.

Finally, when Inter scored in injury time during the first half, Lazio fans unfurled a sarcastic banner that read "Oh noooo....." and began cheering wildly. This continued on for the rest of the match, with Lazio fans celebrating after the final whistle, secure in the knowledge that Roma were now long-shots to claim the Scudetto.

Clegg

They don't allow overaged players in this tournament do they? All of them had to be 21 or ner at the start of the qualifiers
You're allowed to have a few overage players in your squad.

Mata and Javi Martinez were both over the age limit when Spain won the under 21 tournament two years ago.

Kevin Strootman in 23 and he's captaining the Dutch under 21's.

It's 21 or under at the start of the quals 2 years ago, not the tournament. So you're not overaged if you're 23

Edit: my info is from wiki, so it might not be correct

You can't have any over-age players. If you're 21 or under when qualifying starts then you're eligible.

Clegg

It's 21 or under at the start of the quals 2 years ago, not the tournament. So you're not overaged if you're 23

Edit: my info is from wiki, so it might not be correct
That info is probably correct.

But my point is that England have good players eligible for this tournament but they were over in Brazil playing a useless friendly rather than be in a competitive competition.

Phil Jones is still only 21 and Chamberlain is only 19 ffs. They should have taken part in this tournament. Chris Smalling is still eligible too afaik.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom