• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Everyone but ze Germans

Even ze Italians? This forum would melt again.

463283_w2.jpg

spidye

spain 2014 squad

Casillas
carvajal-ramos-pique-alba
iniesta-busquets-martinez
mata-navas
fabregas

good luck beating this team

Bo-Locks

England football team harmed by Premier League - Graham Taylor

Former England manager Graham Taylor says the success of the Premier League is hindering England's national team.
The England Under-21s exited the European Championship at the group stage on Saturday.

Research has shown that the playing time of English players under the age of 21 in the Premier League has fallen to its lowest-ever level.

Taylor said: "Commercially the Premier League has been a major success but at the expense of English players."
According to new research by the CIES Football Observatory, only 35 England-qualified players younger than 21 made appearances in the Premier League last season, the lowest figure since 2005.

The England senior side has not gone beyond the quarter-finals of a major tournament since 1996 and still face a challenge to qualify for next year's World Cup.
Taylor told BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek: "I think we have all seen this coming. We have got this tremendous amount of money that has now come into football.

"It means the top four or five clubs are not looking for the best players in England, but the best players in the world because they can afford to buy them.
"At Manchester City, if Manuel Pellegrini comes in, I'll be amazed if he signs an English player."

The outgoing Football Association chairman David Bernstein said last week he believes there is a "desperate need" to increase the number of English Premier League players.

He said only 30% of players in the top flight were eligible for England, compared to more than 50% in Germany.
Norwich fielded 14 English players out of the 27 they used last season, the joint highest percentage in the Premier League, and they also won this year's FA Youth Cup.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22831838

Does this sort of thing piss anyone else off as much as it does to me? It makes zero sense. If the young English players were good enough then they would be getting playing time at PL clubs, but since they're not good enough, they're not. The problem is therefore with the coaching and the youth development. It's not even a chicken vs egg thing, because it's so blindingly obvious. PL clubs will play the best players they can, and if English players are not good enough, then it's not the Premier League's fault. If Spain can be World/Euro Champions with one of the best leagues in the world and Germany can consistently place place themselves as one of the best footballing nations in the world, while the Bundesliga is growing and challenging the PL and La Liga, that also proves that the issue with the national team is not the Premier League.

Once again:

Number of coaches that hold Uefa A, B and Pro badges:

Germany: 35,000
Italy: 30,000
Spain: 24,000
England: 2,800

And yet idiots like Graham Taylor this would rather nonsensically blame Premier League Clubs rather than his cronies at the FA.

The Premier League being the most international and globally appealing league in the world will naturally mean that young English Players are "less important" than their counterparts in Spain and Germany, but theoretically it also gives them an advantage of playing with the best talent in the world. The premium price of English players may also hamper their development, but I don't think these factors are anywhere near as significant as the lack of planning, organisation and investment from the FA.

GorillaJu

Looks like Sergi Canos is a done deal, we're also taking Valencia's top academy prospect off their hands and supposedly Luis Alberto should be on his way to Liverpool here sooner rather than later.

Luis Alberto is extremely exciting. 6m for a player that good is a fucking steal. We're taking in loads of Spanish players this Summer, with Aspas as good as done.

Arnie

Looks like Sergi Canos is a done deal, we're also taking Valencia's top academy prospect off their hands and supposedly Luis Alberto should be on his way to Liverpool here sooner rather than later.

Luis Alberto is extremely exciting. 6m for a player that good is a fucking steal. We're taking in loads of Spanish players this Summer, with Aspas as good as done.
He looks great on YouTube, but 6m for a Barca B player (I know he's on loan from Sevilla) isn't cheap. Originally thought it was going to be a third of that price.

Bumhead

Banned
Does this sort of thing piss anyone else off as much as it does to me?

The Premier League harms lots of things. But in this specific and often re-occuring argument, I agree with you in that simply blaming the existence of the Premier League really misses the point.

England still has enourmous issues with coaching and development at grass roots level and beyond. Having Stuart Pearce as manager of the Under-21's is completley representative of how backwards and ill thought out our attitude to youth development is. Like many aspects of English football, it's an old-boys Golfing holiday of names and faces that fit, rather than their suitability for the job they're given. There are similar examples when you look at lists of names who are reportedly responsible for the St. George's complex or whatever they've called it.

In the short term, more clubs should embrace the loan system. The lower league structure in England is the secret jewel of English football, and in my opinion is a huge and vastly underrated driver of what has made the Premier League so successful. No other country in the world has leagues outside their top division as strong as England does. I don't think its any coincidence that a large number of England's recent success stories in terms of young players have either graduated from lower league clubs or spent time on loan at Championship or even lower half Premier League sides.

Footballers need game time. There are more outlets to achieve that in England than anywhere else in the world, even if it's not necessarily in the first team of their parent club.

Messi

yeah probably. or martinez instead of busquets.
anyway don't think xavi will have a prominent role in 2014

No way martinez unseats sergio. Del bosque loves him

"If I was a footballer, I would like to be like Busquets". Spain coach, Vicente del Bosque.

He looks great on YouTube, but 6m for a Barca B player (I know he's on loan from Sevilla) isn't cheap. Originally thought it was going to be a third of that price.

Fuck. If he's good we'll have to put up with them cunting it up for 3 years in a row like Arsenal did

Zorc on de Bruyne:
"We'll have another talk with Chelsea. But we must honor contracts."

Doesn't sound all that good but we'll see, will be the first official talk with Mourinho I guess.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Italy winning 2006 was delicious. The salt worldwide was a good seasoning of every meal for 2 years.

The wounds are still open and they claim "they won using wrong football" and then I show them this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSnQbmbQ3iM

Scored more and completely outplayed everyone.

That's right, OUTPLAYED.

Everyone wanted France to win it but they forget how they reached the final in the first place.
Zidane (pen.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom